ADVERTISEMENT

Thank you everyone.

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
On behalf of my good friend Matt Hatfield, publisher of Virginia Preps, I simply wanted to say thank you to everyone for your contributions to our forum. Over the past few years, primarily because of Covid, participation in the forum had fallen to a very low level. Since this football season began, virtually on a daily basis, we see new names appear, or old friends that we haven’t heard from for years post a message, and it has been refreshing.

Additionally, we had periods in the past where there seemed to be one controversy after another. So far this season it’s been pretty darn civil. Hey, like any family, and we are really just all a family on here, there are going to be disagreements. And that is healthy, and that is a good thing. It would get pretty damn boring if we all completly agreed on everything. We just need to continue to show each other tolerance and respect.

This is a sports forum first and foremost, but it also provides us all a unique opportunity to get to know each other personally. Some of us have known each other prior to participating in the forum. But, many good and lasting friendships have been made directly because of this forum. I know that I have made many friends on here that are, and will be, my friends for the rest of our lives. And this type of interaction enriches not only our experience on the forum, but our very lives.

And finally, I want to make a comment on humor. Some of us are always finding the humor in everything that goes on. And that is refreshing. Especially when it’s self deprecating. Sometimes, folks that are relatively new might think our comments to each other are a personal attack. LOL, they sound that way by design sometimes, but only because it usually stems from old, long standing and good natured fun from the past. I once got reamed by a guy for carrying on with Bo Knows Sports about VCU’s dismal record in football. What that person didn’t know was that Bo is a VCU grad, and that VCU has never had a football program. LOL, they may not have ever won a game, but they are also undefeated.

Let’s just continue to have a good time enjoying each other’s company and sharing information about what we all dearly love, high school sports.

When I said, on behalf of Matt, it was not to step on his toes or insert myself where I shouldn’t. It was because I know Matt agrees and embraces what I have said. But, if you knew all that Matt has on his plate, you would wonder how he EVER finds time to have a minute to post a comment now and then on our forum. I hope each of you get the opportunity to meet Matt personally one day. Matt is simply one of those people you just love being around. But you better not have anywhere to go when you meet him, because you are going to be late. The man is truly a walking encyclopedia of sports knowledge, and has a ton of great stories to share.

Matt, I have thought for years that it would be great to have one or more Virginia Preps “meet and greets” for the members. Logistically, it would be a nightmare to pull off because of the distances involved. I suggested years ago that maybe if Virginia Preps could simply have a small tent at each of the three football championship sites for fans to meet up. Of course, it would take the blessings of the VHSL, but I think that it might be possible. I know for a fact that the VHSL leadership has a great deal of respect for you personally, and Virginia Preps in general, and of what you do to support high school sports across Virginia. So maybe there is an opportunity in there that can be brought to fruition?

May each of you stay healthy and happy, and continue to look forward to checking on our forum as time permits.

On behalf of my good friend Matt Hatfield, publisher of Virginia Preps, I simply wanted to say thank you to everyone for your contributions to our forum. Over the past few years, primarily because of Covid, participation in the forum had fallen to a very low level. Since this football season began, virtually on a daily basis, we see new names appear, or old friends that we haven’t heard from for years post a message, and it has been refreshing.

Additionally, we had periods in the past where there seemed to be one controversy after another. So far this season it’s been pretty darn civil. Hey, like any family, and we are really just all a family on here, there are going to be disagreements. And that is healthy, and that is a good thing. It would get pretty damn boring if we all completly agreed on everything. We just need to continue to show each other tolerance and respect.

This is a sports forum first and foremost, but it also provides us all a unique opportunity to get to know each other personally. Some of us have known each other prior to participating in the forum. But, many good and lasting friendships have been made directly because of this forum. I know that I have made many friends on here that are, and will be, my friends for the rest of our lives. And this type of interaction enriches not only our experience on the forum, but our very lives.

And finally, I want to make a comment on humor. Some of us are always finding the humor in everything that goes on. And that is refreshing. Especially when it’s self deprecating. Sometimes, folks that are relatively new might think our comments to each other are a personal attack. LOL, they sound that way by design sometimes, but only because it usually stems from old, long standing and good natured fun from the past. I once got reamed by a guy for carrying on with Bo Knows Sports about VCU’s dismal record in football. What that person didn’t know was that Bo is a VCU grad, and that VCU has never had a football program. LOL, they may not have ever won a game, but they are also undefeated.

Let’s just continue to have a good time enjoying each other’s company and sharing information about what we all dearly love, high school sports.

When I said, on behalf of Matt, it was not to step on his toes or insert myself where I shouldn’t. It was because I know Matt agrees and embraces what I have said. But, if you knew all that Matt has on his plate, you would wonder how he EVER finds time to have a minute to post a comment now and then on our forum. I hope each of you get the opportunity to meet Matt personally one day. Matt is simply one of those people you just love being around. But you better not have anywhere to go when you meet him, because you are going to be late. The man is truly a walking encyclopedia of sports knowledge, and has a ton of great stories to share.

Matt, I have thought for years that it would be great to have one or more Virginia Preps “meet and greets” for the members. Logistically, it would be a nightmare to pull off because of the distances involved. I suggested years ago that maybe if Virginia Preps could simply have a small tent at each of the three football championship sites for fans to meet up. Of course, it would take the blessings of the VHSL, but I think that it might be possible. I know for a fact that the VHSL leadership has a great deal of respect for you personally, and Virginia Preps in general, and of what you do to support high school sports across Virginia. So maybe there is an opportunity in there that can be brought to fruition?

May each of you stay healthy and happy, and continue to look forward to checking on our forum as time permits.
I'm here to cheer on the marching bands and thank them for allowing football to be played on the marching field and not complaining when the football players tear up the marching field.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I'm here to cheer on the marching bands and thank them for allowing football to be played on the marching field and not complaining when the football players tear up the marching field.
That is exactly why many schools are spending $1 mil+ to put in turf. Can’t have a tuba player twisting an ankle.

Reactions: WP02alum
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT