ADVERTISEMENT

Thanksgiving Day Practice

Xcross

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Aug 24, 2010
I believe its a tradition in Greenville to be practicing on Thanksgiving Day . From early on the talk is to be Practicing on Turkey Day . Riverheads will have their hands full in Central . Unbeaten teams seam to get in a groove and have the confidence to keep rolling . Happy Thanksgiving to all and safe travels for those on the roads . RHS 35 - Central 13

I believe its a tradition in Greenville to be practicing on Thanksgiving Day . From early on the talk is to be Practicing on Turkey Day . Riverheads will have their hands full in Central . Unbeaten teams seam to get in a groove and have the confidence to keep rolling . Happy Thanksgiving to all and safe travels for those on the roads . RHS 35 - Central 13
If the team that played Draft shows up it will be over by halftime, if its the team that played Sussex could be a long night.

Watching riverheads play sussex was the first time I thought that they looked beatable at the 1a level.

My Essex Trojans had Thanksgiving morning practice as well today. They‘ve done this every year that they have made deep runs in the playoffs. After practice, they have a team Thanksgiving dinner at the local fire station in the reception hall. They are served by parents and I believe some school faculty.

Last edited:
Watching riverheads play sussex was the first time I thought that they looked beatable at the 1a level.
I will have to agree . I think there was a few new numbers on the field against Sussex . Not sure if the changes were due to illness or other reasons ? I hope the A team shows up Friday or they will start looking at Round Ball Season .

The best news for the Big Red here at the midnight hour on Thursday night/Friday morning is that the threat of rain has been lessened. They are now saying that there will be very spotty showers on Friday morning but clearing by noon and a mostly sunny afternoon. Might be breezy at the game, but overall it sounds like it will be a better night to watch a game than last Friday was.

Reactions: Bama1985
Coach Allen has done a very good job at Galax .....that being said he will have a difficult time sustaining that success.....Galax best teams always benifitted from transfers and I think that time has passed without the Dixon mystique?

Coach Allen has done a very good job at Galax .....that being said he will have a difficult time sustaining that success.....Galax best teams always benefitted from transfers and I think that time has passed without the Dixon mystique?
Even without transfers Galax had a good crop of athletes. Even the Denver Brown kid was born and raised in Galax before moving to Wythe, and then later moving back to Galax. I personally think Galax, Carroll, and Grayson have kids that go through all three of those schools just because they are all close and parents might move right outside, or inside the city limits. I think they just had a talent pool of athletes that Dixon capitalized on starting with the class with Deion George and those boys. Most people in the local area knew early that they would be good in every sport.. and it leaked on down to Steven Peoples, his brothers, Joseph Dixon, Spurlin boys ect.. Looking at some lower level teams at Galax, they have a few athletes.. but just not at the level that they have had in years past. They do make up for it by working hard and lifting to be the stronger and more disciplined team. Allen is a hell of a coach and seems to demand the same things Dixon did, he just does not have the same clay to mold at the moment IMO. I am interested to see how that QB develops and see if he puts the work in during the off season to get better. Tucker will be a big piece for Galax but he will need some help on offense and Galax needs at least a small threat of a passing game.

Even without transfers Galax had a good crop of athletes. Even the Denver Brown kid was born and raised in Galax before moving to Wythe, and then later moving back to Galax. I personally think Galax, Carroll, and Grayson have kids that go through all three of those schools just because they are all close and parents might move right outside, or inside the city limits. I think they just had a talent pool of athletes that Dixon capitalized on starting with the class with Deion George and those boys. Most people in the local area knew early that they would be good in every sport.. and it leaked on down to Steven Peoples, his brothers, Joseph Dixon, Spurlin boys ect.. Looking at some lower level teams at Galax, they have a few athletes.. but just not at the level that they have had in years past. They do make up for it by working hard and lifting to be the stronger and more disciplined team. Allen is a hell of a coach and seems to demand the same things Dixon did, he just does not have the same clay to mold at the moment IMO. I am interested to see how that QB develops and see if he puts the work in during the off season to get better. Tucker will be a big piece for Galax but he will need some help on offense and Galax needs at least a small threat of a passing game.
Allen is a good coach but hard to replace that NFL experience when it comes to the offensive line. And thats where games are won in the trenches. Just like RH Norcross is a good coach but Casto was the line coach, that was his baby, hard to replicate his knowledge. I see RH falling off just like Galax has over the next few years, regardless if we stayed in 1A or not.

Reactions: Bama1985
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT