ADVERTISEMENT

The greatest playoff game you ever saw or played in

Best playoff game ever was Gretna @ Christiansburg 2004. Can't recall all the details, but Gretna scored with 12 seconds left, to beat Christiansburg.

Agree with this. Hands down, the first one to come to mind. If I recall, the final was Gretna 49-44.

Has it really been 14 years ago? Wow!

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
Our overtime loss to Glenvar in the State Championship game is not on there. That was a slobber knocker and a great game. That I think should be in the top 10. For some reason I think the 16-14 win by Riverheads during the regular season that broke our 5 game scoreless streak with 3 field goals has a shot but I do not think a regular season game would be at the top. Opinions are just that, opinions. Everyone has the greatest game they ever saw. For me it was the 22-21 win over Riverheads or the 43-40 playoff win over Dan River when Edmonds rushed for over 300 yds and fumbled on the the last drive in 2011.

See my list above. The game you are speaking of was referenced in relation to the number two game on this list. It was mentioned that Wilson beat Riverheads twice that season and the foot out of bounds was discussed.

As I mentioned, the 2004 game between Christiansburg and Gretna was the best I have seen. @Hampton Roads 6 I was wrong, that final was 49-42.

A couple others come to mind, as well. 2006 Amherst hit a 65 yard TD on 4th down with 1:02 left to beat Salem 25-21. There was an estimated 10,000 people there. Heckuva game

1991 Radford stormed back against Jefferson Forest in the second half to take the game to OT. JF struck first, and stopped Tommy Edwards of Radford at the 1 on 4th down to win 27-21

XCross:

That game ranks right up there with Riverheads' all-time best games. I don't think WC knew what hit them and you are right that Bradley held a grudge and ran up the score as much as he could the next two times we played them.

Since that was a 2006 game, it did not qualify for the paper's top ten countdown (they only wanted the best games of the last ten years), but I would personally put it among RHS's top five all-time games.
Other than State Championship games, I have always felt the top two Riverheads playoff games were the 2006 William Campbell game as well as the 2000 Region B Championship Against Central (Lunenburg). Longtimerhsfan probably remembers more of the details of the game but I remember a long pass to set up the championship winning field goal as time expired to give Riverheads, and an Augusta County school, their first ever Regional Championship.

The 2000 Championship in Lynchburg was a great game as Riverheads won over Bath Co. for the first of their State Championships . This game does not even compare the WC game in 06 .

Believe it or not I missed that Lunenburg game due to a commitment I could not miss. But people have talked about it so much over the years that it must have really been a tremendous game. I would agree with X Cross that the William Campbell win was a far more exciting game than the Bath win. It was too cold that day for anyone to care about anything other than getting the game over with!

Believe it or not I missed that Lunenburg game due to a commitment I could not miss. But people have talked about it so much over the years that it must have really been a tremendous game. I would agree with X Cross that the William Campbell win was a far more exciting game than the Bath win. It was too cold that day for anyone to care about anything other than getting the game over with!

I remember vaguely a Riverheads game in Greenville against Lunenburg. I was there, but it could have been a different game. I think I remember going and the talk being RH had no chance

Well Riverheads has only played Lunenburg twice in Greenville......the nailbiting 2000 game that these folks are remembering that I sadly had to miss....and a 2015 game in which RHS shut out the Chargers 42-0. So it should be easy for you to figure out which one you attended if Lunenburg was the opponent.

Well Riverheads has only played Lunenburg twice in Greenville......the nailbiting 2000 game that these folks are remembering that I sadly had to miss....and a 2015 game in which RHS shut out the Chargers 42-0. So it should be easy for you to figure out which one you attended if Lunenburg was the opponent.

Must have been the 2000 game

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT