ADVERTISEMENT

The Handley Judges James R. Wilkins Jr. Stadium ... is there anything prettier?

Demographics have changed for everyone including Sherando , just means you have to get better at the little things . Better coaching, better offseason programs , keep kids ingaged all year long , and make it fun to be on the football team. Just my opinion.

What percentage of students are on free/reduced lunch at Sherando?

In the 2017-18 school year, 69% of elementary students in the WPS system qualified for free or reduced-cost meals.

Approx 59% of the middle and high school students qualified for free or reduced-cost lunches.

Sherando and Millbrook districts is where all the new houses are being constructed. The City of Winchester is landlocked by Frederick County. There are no new housing communities within the city limits. They are all out in Frederick County. The only thing the City of Winchester is constructing is apartment complexes which is not a good thing for anyone's community.

Last edited:
What percentage of students are on free/reduced lunch at Sherando?

In the 2017-18 school year, 69% of elementary students in the WPS system qualified for free or reduced-cost meals.

Approx 59% of the middle and high school students qualified for free or reduced-cost lunches.

Sherando and Millbrook districts is where all the new houses are being constructed. The City of Winchester is landlocked by Frederick County. There are no new housing communities within the city limits. They are all out in Frederick County. The only thing the City of Winchester is constructing is apartment complexes which is not a good thing for anyone's community.
Winchester City Public Schools have now switched to giving free lunches to all students. At least that's my understanding of a recent article in the Winchester Star.

Winchester City Public Schools have now switched to giving free lunches to all students. At least that's my understanding of a recent article in the Winchester Star.

Nearly 62 percent of Winchester’s 4,170 students qualified for free and reduced-cost meals in the school year that just ended. That’s an increase of almost 15 percent over 10 years.

Winchester elementary schools serving free meals
  • By ANNA MEROD | The Winchester Star
  • Aug 1, 2018

WINCHESTER — Starting in the 2018-19 academic year, all four Winchester Public Schools elementary schools will offer free breakfast and lunch to all of their students, no matter their household income, the school division announced Tuesday.

The free meals are being made possible through the National School Lunch and Breakfast Program’s Community Eligibility Provision (CEP), implemented under the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010.

Families at the elementary schools do not have to fill out an application to receive the free meals.

Laurie Curry, food services coordinator for Winchester Public Schools, said she hopes the program lasts long into the future. For now, Winchester Public Schools is approved for the free meals program for four years and must renew each year within that time.

Ed Smith, the city school division’s director of operations, said the program will only survive if more students eat school-provided food.

During the 2012-13 school year, when seven states piloted the program, school meal participation went up. School breakfast participation increased by 9.4 percent and school lunch participation by 5.2 percent, according to data.

Benefits of the program include saving time for school administrators who no longer have to collect school meal applications or payments.

In the 2017-18 school year, 69 percent of elementary students in the school system qualified for free or reduced-cost meals.

The new program will be better for elementary students in the long run, Curry said. “There’s no stigma. They get in line, they get a meal.”

As of Friday, Winchester Public Schools had about 1,710 students enrolled as elementary school students.

Just recently, the Winchester School Board raised the cost of lunches by 10 cents and breakfasts by 5 cents to bridge the funding gap for meals subsidized by the United States Department of Agriculture. The cost of a breakfast in elementary school is $1.40 per child and $2.80 for lunch.

Smith said the program is a great opportunity for families to save money.

The school division’s middle and high schools did not qualify for the program. About 59 percent of students in those schools qualify for free or reduced-cost lunches.

Neighboring Clarke County Public Schools does not qualify for the free meals program, said Nickole Kinsey, general manager of food services for the Clarke County division. Frederick County Public Schools doesn't qualify, either, according to school division spokesman Steve Edwards.

— Contact Anna Merod at amerod@winchesterstar.com

Nothing in Virginia is comparable to Handley. Their are bigger and louder, but none as scenic. Heck it is better than all the D-3 colleges in VA in my opinion.
I thought Shentel stadium (SU) was nice, but this is one is even nicer. I also went to the D3 title game and thought Salem stadium was really nice. That game last year was all kinds of cold but the stadium was nice. Not picking one over the other because they are both 5 star stadiums for high school football in VA. Some of the places I played were glorified parking lots compared to these two.

That is an hilarious comparison! Handley is more important to the Winchester community than Shenandoah will ever be.
I mean no disrespect but that's a little disappointing. The college team is pretty darn good, and has a qb that lead the nation in passing yards last year. Its a pretty fun team to watch. Also, the ODAC is a great conference full of really talented teams and adding Ferrum made it even better. I know a player that plays for SU and he picked that school for the nice and amazing people he met in the community as well as the school itself. He is always talking about the how much he loves that area from the drive-in theater to the downtown mall.

Verizon , people saying nice things about your stadium, and why you turn it into bashing and negative things.

Handley is not my stadium, I am a Verizon Sports Fan!

I just stated my opinion and said no negative direct comments about anyone else.

Lol you and I both know that’s hog wash. Handley is what 60-1 since 2010 at home?

Since 2010, Handley has fielded some very talented basketball teams.

There's nothing hogwash about it ... The Shenandoah Basketball Officials Association calls games up and down the Shenandoah Valley which is a fact.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT