ADVERTISEMENT

The most classless of any crowd

Why are you guys trying to dull down the best sport in the planet?!? High school football is pure. It's fun. Loud crowds when the opposing team has the ball is fun. Train horns are fun. Noise makers are fun. Rocks in bottles are fun. Cowbells are fun. Inflatable helmets are fun. Cannons are fun.

There are so many traditions at all of these schools. Why are we trying to dull all of this down?!! We should be encouraging th as communities to continue to support their schools, not trying to stifle it.

Why are you guys trying to dull down the best sport in the planet?!? High school football is pure. It's fun. Loud crowds when the opposing team has the ball is fun. Train horns are fun. Noise makers are fun. Rocks in bottles are fun. Cowbells are fun. Inflatable helmets are fun. Cannons are fun.

There are so many traditions at all of these schools. Why are we trying to dull all of this down?!! We should be encouraging th as communities to continue to support their schools, not trying to stifle it.

I'm all for noise. However, common decency needs to be used as well. Sadly, it appears to be lacking these days.

Great googaly moogaly! There's so much going with this thread, where do I begin? I'm a Giles fan and graduate. We have great fans and so does Glenvar. Neither are classless. We have beaten them for years and now they have the upper hand. Congratulations go to them and their coach. This has become a great rivalry. We'll get them again, hopefully in this year's playoffs.

Having said that, I have never actually liked the train horn. I'm actually surprised that the officials have allowed it to continue. If it was only used to signal scores, like the cannons, sirens, and black powder guns that other schools have, I would have absolutely no problem. We DO use it at inappropriate times and frankly, it's obnoxious. I'm not opposed to noisemakers. I come away from every Giles game a bit hoarser. Cowbells, rocks in jugs are good as well. Air horns just seem to cross a line, in my opinion. Spartan nation, can we please just yell a little louder and save the train horn for when we score?

I haven't heard "Great Googaly Moogaly" in forever! Even more so, didn't know how to spell it. Thanks! Great laugh from this entire thread and this is the icing!

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
My take is Glenvar has just wanted to be Giles for years. That has even came from the head coach. I'm not surprised another school has taken Giles tradition. When u have a school that has a tradition like Giles many others want to follow suit. That's three schools in the last three years now that has a train horn. Appomattox, Christiansburg, and Glenvar. I'm kinda flattered really that everyone wants to be Giles. I mean hell, Glenvar state picture on thier one rock is on Giles field.
As far as the game, Giles deserved to lose. Stuff Glenvar three time in 4th quarter and get ball in own territory and do nothing with it. Fact is Giles is just not very good right now. The line is awful, kids not playing with discipline on defense and youth is showing because no leaders are stepping up. I'm still proud of this team because we took a huge hit losing our stud fullback and linebacker and unlike some fans I realize this a young team. We have almost everyone back next year. As far as Glenvar, they are better with thier suspended kids back but thier offense is nothing impressive. I don't see either team making past second round of playoffs and it's just my opinion. As far as the train horn Giles fans, don't be offended by it. Be flattered so many schools and fan bases want to be what we have been for years.
Trust me we ARE GLENVAR and never want to be Giles. We win our games because we are the best on the field at the time. The "tradition" as you call it is yours. We do not want your tradition but we would like for you to have a taste of your own medicine. Talk about classless, use your horn to celebrate touchdowns not trying to drown out the huddles and when the other team is under center.

I know in basketball there is a rule against artificial noise makers by the VHSL.... Does football not have that rule?

Reactions: G-DOG2
I disagree. Sounds like a bunch of crybabies.
Until you have to play them and deal with the horn blowing over your QBs cadences or you have witnessed it. I dont think you understand how unsportsmanlike this is. I know that train horn had something to do with us jumping off side in 2013. We was called for it several times and the train was TOOT TOOTing at the time. The players have never been in that kind of environment and wasnt prepared either.

Riverheads played against them in 2013 and it was difficult to ignore. I am sure since they had the game in hand we may not have seen the full brunt of the train horn effect but I actually like it. I think in principle it is no different than the annoying cow bells. Sure it is louder but really I don't make the distinction between the two. The one caveat is that it is battery powered or air tank not sure which, and that just begs to be banned. I think the whole deal has been explained numerous times, if it is used to celebrate a good play or enhance the "cheering" for your team then I don't think anyone would gripe. The fact that it is blown to disturb communication of the opposition begs the sportsmanship question. How does the opposition figuring out that it messes with your cadence when used against you give you the audacity to call them out on it? It's like this, when you stir the shit pot you should have to lick the spoon sometimes. Simply put, if everybody has one then the advantage Giles has gained with it is gone. As much as it may purely be tradition, no one can argue with the effect it has on the game. If you can argue that, then you have made the case for it not being a problem for the opposition to have one. I will say again that I am actually a fan of the train horn and have said so many times. It is however something I suppose would piss me off if I had to hear it at your place and at mine just because of your "tradition".

Reactions: obguthr
I agree that fan noise as the 12 man makes for a great football atmosphere...bells, keys, jugs with rocks , etc. are all ok to me.....blowing a train horn, fog horn etc. while the play is happening is too much and takes away from the players. It shows a complete disrespect for the players and sense of fair play.
I also agree that the VHSL is completely useless. They allow these type's of situations to happen; they allow for officials who are repeatedly incompetent and or biased (some racially) to affect the outcome of games year after year. They rob from the high school football coffers(especially during play-offs) which are already extremely underfunded in most cases and what do the teams get in return...total silence and lack of representation. While you play and win as a team goal and not for the physical trophy....the VHSL State trophy is a pathetic joke. While in some way's who cares about a trophy, you think if they are in may cases taking tens of thousands of dollars from each play-off game, they could at least give something back. I know this thread is not about the VHSL and I apologize but they are a bloated royals, sitting on their thrown stealing from the peasants .Allowing poor sportsmanship and the lack of fair play is just one example.

I also agree that the VHSL is completely useless. They allow these type's of situations to happen; they allow for officials who are repeatedly incompetent and or biased (some racially) to affect the outcome of games year after year. They rob from the high school football coffers(especially during play-offs) which are already extremely underfunded in most cases and what do the teams get in return...total silence and lack of representation. While you play and win as a team goal and not for the physical trophy....the VHSL State trophy is a pathetic joke. While in some way's who cares about a trophy, you think if they are in may cases taking tens of thousands of dollars from each play-off game, they could at least give something back.

Then how would they pay for their bloated salaries?:rolleyes:

Maybe the horn is a bit of overkill, but are we really arguing about noise at a football game. Nothing gets players more hyped up than having their fans loud and making noise for them. Even going into another environment where the other teams fans are into it gets the blood flowing. Colleges play in from of 60-100k people who make more noise than that air horn and somehow they manage to get the snap off. Be loud, be into it. The kids love it. People usually only have an issue with it when they lose.

All schools need to take this approach. Administrators take note!!
Madison County's mascot is a Mountaineer. After each MC score, they fire off an old musket. It is actually a single shot shotgun with blanks. But it is LOUD. However, a couple of years ago, many schools would not allow the gun on school grounds. Now it is only used at home games. So the individual schools can probably stop any noise makers or props other schools bring.

Madison County's mascot is a Mountaineer. After each MC score, they fire off an old musket. It is actually a single shot shotgun with blanks. But it is LOUD. However, a couple of years ago, many schools would not allow the gun on school grounds. Now it is only used at home games. So the individual schools can probably stop any noise makers or props other schools bring.
Lee County brought a Canon, man with a horse, big blow up helmet, band played on our field and our AD said yes at the time 2014 playoffs. Well it didnt go well for him that year. social media ripped him.
Last year he said NO to it all, our administration listened to our fans and just let band play (which i have no issues). No canon or the other theatrics.

Reactions: OldSchoolRaider
It still blows my mind that anyone would have a problem with the opposing band playing for the home crowd before a game. That literally blows my mind. In SWVA, the visiting band does their show just before the game. That's customary. It's actually rare to ever see a visiting band NOT perform pregame. So that still to this day baffles me that it was ever not the norm at Appo.

You know where I sit with the helmet. If a school has worked hard to raise the money to have one, it sucks that a school wouldn't let the kids run out of it. They've worked their asses off all year to wear that helmet and run out of the inflatable helmet. Richlands lets any school that has one bring theirs to blow up. Because we understand how big a deal it is to those kids. I don't agree with that stance to not let a school bring theirs at all. Never will.

Lee County brought a Canon, man with a horse, big blow up helmet, band played on our field and our AD said yes at the time 2014 playoffs. Well it didnt go well for him that year. social media ripped him.
Last year he said NO to it all, our administration listened to our fans and just let band play (which i have no issues). No canon or the other theatrics.
Had the 2014 result been the same as the 2015 game, do you think it would have been a big deal?

I read many of the social media comments after that 2014 game, and it sounded more like the fans were embarrassed because Lee had more fan support, so they directed that embarrassment as anger over the helmet, canon, etc...

Like Ryan said, I don't get the band thing. Nothing about their band playing beforehand had any influence on the game.

Reactions: Ryan4VT
Union is the same way as Richlands. Teams can bring pretty much what they want to. Several teams have brought their inflatables. Lee High brought their train horn last week. They brought their horse one year, but the guy almost wiped out on it so it hasn't been back. Not sure if that was Union's or their decision.

Any team that brings a band is permitted to play prior to the game.

Would be interesting to see if they would allow Giles to bring their horn if we ever played.

Reactions: Ryan4VT
I've seen other teams bring inflatable helmets to our field. I'm jealous of them, but I don't make a stink about it. I think the only time I've seen an opposing team's band at our field was last year when Union brought theirs and ours didn't show. I made a stink about that.

I've seen other teams bring inflatable helmets to our field. I'm jealous of them, but I don't make a stink about it. I think the only time I've seen an opposing team's band at our field was last year when Union brought theirs and ours didn't show. I made a stink about that.
I still can't believe that Clarke's band didn't come to a semi-final game. I cannot imagine a scenario where our band didn't play at a home game.

Of course, I try not to think about that game too much. Lol.

I still can't believe that Clarke's band didn't come to a semi-final game. I cannot imagine a scenario where our band didn't play at a home game.

I was in band in high school. I traveled to plenty of far away games: Lee High, Carroll County, Hidden Valley, Lynchburg for 3 state title games. Since I've graduated, I've seen our band at Brockville, Wilson Memorial, Appomattox. Those are HAULS from SWVA, especially on a school bus (we took charters to the state title games, but not the semi games and such). I can not fathom a band not showing up for a home playoff game of that significance. That is mind blowing.

The Union fans were great, and we got to see the abbreviated version of the "Running of the Bears" when the gates were finally opened. Got to put a face to the name of a good person too. :D

This thread makes me laugh....Best train whistle ever was by a math teacher (retired now) that when you talked....he hit the train horn. Needless to say, kids were quiet. The good ol days..................................Good luck to all on Friday

Had the 2014 result been the same as the 2015 game, do you think it would have been a big deal?

I read many of the social media comments after that 2014 game, and it sounded more like the fans were embarrassed because Lee had more fan support, so they directed that embarrassment as anger over the helmet, canon, etc...

Like Ryan said, I don't get the band thing. Nothing about their band playing beforehand had any influence on the game.

I meant to answer this post yesterday.

Actually Union Fan, that could have been a possibility for some, Im not going to write that off. I helped hold chains for that game and I know I was irritated early on and I got blasted for calling out Raider Fans on a facebook post. I took a pic of both sides of the stands before the game ever started and blasted Appomattox for not showing up for our boys. People in the community wrote me saying this and that about hunting season beginning, shouldnt be playing on Saturdays, too cold, etc....
I was ticked off early on along with many others. our boys came out with their heads down just looking at the other side of the field and Lee showing up like Richlands did last year (Lee didnt have same crowd in 2015 though). I felt like crap for our boys. I bet we had maybe 100 people there that day (IF THAT?).
For all concerned in above post about bands playing on field. Look, as I have said before, central VA is not used to that. Your bands never plays on home field. After the Lee game that year, I changed my view on it. Thanks to RyanVT for helping me process this more in depth. I now agree that there shouldnt be an issue with a band coming to Appo to play on our field. I actually like listening to other bands talents now vs. our band.
This all was a blessing in disguise, because the upcoming season (after pics of Lee game went viral in community), we packed the stands and they continue to be packed every game. Road games we have more fans than the home team sometimes. Then with the tragedies in community of 2015, football kept the county strong. people was clinging to it to aid them in grieving and healing. That Lee game of 2014 was last time we have been beat. The next loss will come in due time, Im just glad I have witnessed these great teams that Appomattox has produced and hope continue to produce...

I have had kids that played football and others that played in the band. I was even band booster president for a large, well known HS band and so I got an up close look from the summer practices, the fball games and all the festivals. It's pretty intense and in my opinion the band doesn't get the credit they deserve in most communities for what they do. Many fball fans, coaches, admin, take them for granted. Point is my kids in the band didn't work any less than the ones that played fball. All worked their butts off. Here is what some people don't get. Not everyone who goes to the fball games goes to watch the football game. There are many that go to watch the marching bands whether they be parents, brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts, grandparents, friends etc. etc. These people buy tickets and if their band doesn't play they don't come buy tickets. It would be a foolish business decision to not encourage both bands to play. It is alsofoolish not to give the kids another even to perform at. Have you ever been to a football game where no band played? Imagine what that would be like.

I have had kids that played football and others that played in the band. I was even band booster president for a large, well known HS band and so I got an up close look from the summer practices, the fball games and all the festivals. It's pretty intense and in my opinion the band doesn't get the credit they deserve in most communities for what they do. Many fball fans, coaches, admin, take them for granted. Point is my kids in the band didn't work any less than the ones that played fball. All worked their butts off. Here is what some people don't get. Not everyone who goes to the fball games goes to watch the football game. There are many that go to watch the marching bands whether they be parents, brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts, grandparents, friends etc. etc. These people buy tickets and if their band doesn't play they don't come buy tickets. It would be a foolish business decision to not encourage both bands to play. It is alsofoolish not to give the kids another even to perform at. Have you ever been to a football game where no band played? Imagine what that would be like.

This is true. I know people who attended some Narrows, Princeton (WV), and Graham games during their dry spells simply to see the bands.

I know in basketball there is a rule against artificial noise makers by the VHSL.... Does football not have that rule?

The VHSL does not have a rule against noisemakers at outside venues. Any rules of that type are totally up to the venue. I'm saying "venue" instead of the "home or hosting" team. Best example, a shared stadium like Darling Staduim. They have their rules regardless of who is playing.

Thomas Dale will not permit cow bells. Go figure that one out?

Reactions: obguthr
AdvocateOfMany4,
so glad to hear that after the pics went viral that it had a good effect on your crowd ! I love to see great support for the kids on both sides. They work so hard all year round and it means so much to them to look up in the stands and see them full of "their fans" making noise and supporting what they are doing.
I know when I played in Maryland that school didn't have the same support as when I moved to Richlands. ( my parents moved us back after my soph year ) I was actually amazed at the stands being full.........at home and away and it does make a difference.
That's one thing we are proud of in Richlands is the support that the fans give. No matter how far away the game may be, most times we will have at the very least as many, and most times more fan support than the home team will have, and the kids will tell ya to a man that it means a lot to them.
So good for the fans of of Appo for filling the stands and being there for the players !

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
AdvocateOfMany4,
so glad to hear that after the pics went viral that it had a good effect on your crowd ! I love to see great support for the kids on both sides. They work so hard all year round and it means so much to them to look up in the stands and see them full of "their fans" making noise and supporting what they are doing.
I know when I played in Maryland that school didn't have the same support as when I moved to Richlands. ( my parents moved us back after my soph year ) I was actually amazed at the stands being full.........at home and away and it does make a difference.
That's one thing we are proud of in Richlands is the support that the fans give. No matter how far away the game may be, most times we will have at the very least as many, and most times more fan support than the home team will have, and the kids will tell ya to a man that it means a lot to them.
So good for the fans of of Appo for filling the stands and being there for the players !
Thanks man! That loss changed our community. I will never forget the feeling of our kids coming out that fence line walking with head down at beginning of game. They looked so defeated from start. I think they were overwelmed by the big showing of Lee and the theatrics that came with them. Our QB was hurt so we had been playing with backup and he had one of the worse games of his season. Appo felt bad about not showing up and that is when POWER OF 1 #PO1 started! People came to games that hadnt vame in 20- 30 years

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigrhsfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT