ADVERTISEMENT

The New George Wythe High School will have New Name...

EPJr

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Sep 27, 2002
xWJfew1e

RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — George Wythe High School could have a new name soon after a fourth renaming community meeting took place at the school on Wednesday evening. After hearing feedback from the community during the meeting, the Richmond School Board will now narrow down the new name choices from five to three.

The five choices are:
- Culture High School of the Arts,
- Capitol City High School of the Arts,
- Heritage High School of the Arts,
- South Richmond High School of the Arts
- Gateway High School of the Arts.

The name Gateway High School is representative of our school’s mission. It celebrates our school as a gateway to opportunity for all students,” one community member who spoke at the meeting, Aaron Berryhill, said in support of the name Gateway High School of the Arts.

xWJfew1e

RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — George Wythe High School could have a new name soon after a fourth renaming community meeting took place at the school on Wednesday evening. After hearing feedback from the community during the meeting, the Richmond School Board will now narrow down the new name choices from five to three.

The five choices are:

The name Gateway High School is representative of our school’s mission. It celebrates our school as a gateway to opportunity for all students,” one community member who spoke at the meeting, Aaron Berryhill, said in support of the name Gateway High School of the Arts.

There are already three high schools in Virginia with the name Heritage... I do hope they don't go that way. My own personal opinion I like South Richmond although Southside has a better ring to it but that is not an option.

Question: why the moniker “of the Arts”? Are there notable fine and/or performing arts programs at GW? Or is that a new development?

There are already three high schools in Virginia with the name Heritage... I do hope they don't go that way. My own personal opinion I like South Richmond although Southside has a better ring to it but that is not an option.
I thought the same thing

xWJfew1e

The five choices are:

This is strange, but who will choose which naming it will be? I think Heritage High School of the Arts is the best fit for it; because it sounds good and has a historical idea. Besides this fact I must say that the given school is known to me from the fact that I was there for the literature competition, namely for the animal testing theme, this theme seems very important to me and I believe that it is not humane to do tests on animals, moreover, I got inspiration from several sources for this competition and one of them is https://samploon.com/free-essays/animal-testing/, this one seems to me the most objective, because I use it for a longer time and not once have I found there information that does not correspond to the truth. So, a bit I strayed from the topic, I hope this school will choose the appropriate name and continue its existence as the best school in the sector cela!

Last edited:
of course you know the answer to that
but never pass up an opportunity tho.
I’m just saying. I’ve worked in that school before. Been through quite a few principals since (Ms. Reeva Green was my peoples). RPS needs to stop being so political and look at the real issues. Wythe has some good people and even better kids in that building but they are systematically set up for failure. My choice would be to name it Douglas Wilder High School, Grace E. Harris High School or even Mark Warner High. That’s just me though.

Gateway would be good. Come in kids and leave into the world as young adults

Gateway would be good. Come in kids and leave into the world as young adults
I like that but Wythe is in a rough part of the city. Those kids need something to relate to. With all of the history in RVA, I feel like it should be something local honored. Lot of great people have made their mark in Richmond.

Reactions: SFUWO and CRF4Dan
I’m just saying. I’ve worked in that school before. Been through quite a few principals since (Ms. Reeva Green was my peoples). RPS needs to stop being so political and look at the real issues. Wythe has some good people and even better kids in that building but they are systematically set up for failure. My choice would be to name it Douglas Wilder High School, Grace E. Harris High School or even Mark Warner High. That’s just me though.
there is already a Wilder but the other two are interesting.

there is already a Wilder but the other two are interesting.
Wilder’s in Henrico though. All 3 have done a great job in the Wythe area. Do you happen to know if Mr. Harris is doing okay? I’ve known Mrs. and Mr. Harris a good while, but after Mrs. Harris passed, I haven’t spoken to him. Some of the finest people I know.

Reactions: Senex
Question: why the moniker “of the Arts”? Are there notable fine and/or performing arts programs at GW? Or is that a new development?
It’s been George Wythe School of the Arts. I worked there in 2019 when Kamras took over and RPS was under investigation by the VDOE for offering classes that did not have specialized teachers and there was a huge transcript audit. What’s sad is Wythe didn’t even have enough art/theater arts teachers to even be considered a school of the arts.

The school board is recommending Richmond High School of the Arts as the new name for George Wythe High School.

They also recommended renaming John B. Cary Elementary to Dr. Lois Harrison-Jones Elementary School, Ginter Park Elementary could become Northside Elementary and Binford Middle could become Dogwood Middle School.

Also, I’m gonna guess there won’t be much investment into fine or performing arts to correspond with this new name. To their credit, RPS do have the only well-developed public school harp program in VA (that I know of).

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Rich-what, Richmond!

George Wythe (Richmond) is now officially Richmond High School of the Arts. This leaves George Wythe (Wytheville) as the only high school in Virginia named for one of the Founding Fathers from Virginia.
Will they keep their school colors (Navy, Red, White) and/or mascot (Bulldogs) or go with a new mascot and/or colors? Richmond Bulldogs, Richmond

This was one of four schools in the Richmond area to be renamed. According to Richmond Schools, this was done in order to remove names of people or symbols that represent racist ideologies, including people who served in the Confederate army or owned slaves. The schools’ new names were based on local history and geography, and were recommended by a committee after several public hearings between March and May to get community feedback on possible new names.

Richmond School Board renames four schools despite some votes against it​

https://www.wric.com/news/local-new...l-have-new-names-following-school-board-vote/

RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — On Tuesday night, the Richmond City School Board changed four school names in the district in a 6-3 vote.

Following the board’s vote, the new names of the school are now:

• George Wythe High School will now be Richmond High School for the Arts
  • John B. Cary Elementary School will now be Lois-Harrison Jones Elementary School
  • Ginter Park Elementary School will now be Frances W. McClenney Elementary School
  • Binford Middle School will now be Dogwood Middle School
The original recommendation for Ginter Park Elementary School was Northside Elementary School. However, many board and community members favored naming the school Frances W. McClenney Elementary School after the first Black teacher employed at the school. McClenney later became Ginter Park’s first Black and first female principal.

While the motion passed to change all four school names, some board members voted against it.

“Colleagues, I don’t support banning books, I don’t support canceling speakers, and I do not support renaming schools. I vote no,” said 4th District Representative Jonathan Young.

Along with Young, 2nd District Representative Mariah White and 8th District Representative Dawn Page also voted against the motion. “I am so glad to see this was revised, Mr. Kamras, from the last time, although I am against naming schools names,” said Ms. White. “I am sure this school will be named after Ms. McClenney. It looks good.”

On another note, Rep. Young was the same Representative that back in late January proposed to close 5 Richmond schools including Class 2 Boys Basketball power John Marshall - which angered several people

(https://www.wtvr.com/news/local-new...proposes-closing-five-schools-february-1-2023)

Yeah, but no one called them that in my experience working in that area.
I believe 'School of the Arts' is merely in title only. I have never once heard anyone, even those that went to school there and graduated from there call it that. It was always referred to as George Wythe or Wythe.

IMO they will simply call it Richmond or Richmond City although I am curious to see how long it catches on.

The only time I’ve seen “School of the Arts” are on the Wythe transcripts. It’s noted nowhere in that building nor does anyone in RVA refer to them as so.

George Wythe’s population is about 55% Hispanic, 44% black.
EP Jr. is not at all concerned about that 55%... unless it suits his motives at the moment. It's obvious he has some hate issues that he needs to work on. And yes, I'm aware that by daring to say such things I'll be up to 7.0 soon enough..heck someone blocked ol' 5.0 even though I had not posted here for at least 6 months previously.

As far as the name change goes? Southside would have sounded good and made the most sense. South Richmond would have sounded good... but nah, lets go with Richmond-plus a whole lotta of stuff on the end.. the Richmond High name should have gone to the oldest high school and/or the most centrally located school in Richmond. I would assume that would be either TJ or John Marshall? And lets face it, if EP Jr. and his ilk have their way both of those names will be cancelled soon enough as it is. So they should have held off on that Richmond moniker for a year or two.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT