ADVERTISEMENT

The State Tournament Teams Are Set

kwhs95fan

VaPreps All Region
Gold Member
Oct 17, 2006
The four regional championship games will be played either tomorrow or Saturday, but we now know the 8 teams who are State bound. Which two will make it to Richmond, where ultimately only one team will cut down the nets. For the record, I correctly picked 5 of the 8 teams listed when I did my regional picks. Middlesex, Twin Springs and Honaker proved me wrong, although I did have all three in the regional semifinals.

Region A: Lancaster and Middlesex. Middlesex has two losses on the season. Both were to Lancaster, by 51 and 32 points respectively. But both of those games were played over 2 months ago. Lancaster comes in undefeated and have been on a mission since their stunning loss in last year's state semifinals.

Region B: Franklin and Altavista. Altavista is a regular to the state tournament, finishing as runner up two years ago and losing to Westmoreland in the quarters last year. Franklin hasn't played at the state level recently, but this year's team is special. Length all over the floor and their defense leads them.

Region C: George Wythe and Auburn. This will be the 5th meeting between these two teams this season. GW has won three of those, but needed a buzzer beater to win last week's game. Auburn is the defending state champs and have a huge nucleus of that team back.

Region D: Twin Springs and Honaker. TS was the team that many pegged as the Region D favorite at the beginning of the season after returning the entire team that made it to the final four last year. They had a few more hiccups than most expected yet here they are back again. Honaker is a team that started slow this year, but finished strong. But despite winning their district, not many people, myself included thought they'd make it to the state tournament. But that's why they play the games and this team is playing exceptionally well right now and deserve to be here.

I'll do my state tournament predictions either this weekend or early next week, once the matchups are official for the state tournament.

All regionals should be played at neutral sites. But money from concessions and admittance dictates otherwise.
Back in the day they used to play at a predetermined site. It made for a better environment when you had multiple schools playing in the semifinals and finals. I'm not a fan of the higher seed hosts thing that much. Heck they don't even have the state semifinals in Richmond anymore, which I really don't like. Back in the day my dad and I both would take off work the entire week and watch State playoff games from Tuesday through Saturday. After he passed, I rarely go to the Siegel Center for the state tournament unless it's a local team playing or unless it was the year that Mac Mcclung was playing there

It sux. Lancaster is the #1 seed in the state and we might have to possibly travel to Altavista. Soooo they will have the home court advantage. Make it make sense. It should always be a neutral site in my opinion.

It sux. Lancaster is the #1 seed in the state and we might have to possibly travel to Altavista. Soooo they will have the home court advantage. Make it make sense. It should always be a neutral site in my opinion.
Yeah I agree. It was predetermined that if both the Region A and B champs won in the state quarterfinals then Region B hosts the state semifinals. Next year it'd go back to Region A

Reactions: LHS4Lyfe
They sould got by winning percentage to determine the semifinal hosts. Don't they use power ratings in football to determine who hosts semifinal game with the exception of the COVID season?

They sould got by winning percentage to determine the semifinal hosts. Don't they use power ratings in football to determine who hosts semifinal game with the exception of the COVID season?
They do currently, but in the past it alternated between regions like how basketball does now.

As it stands, the only chance Lancaster has of hosting a state semifinal game is if they beat Franklin and Middlesex knocks off Altavista

Reactions: LHS4Lyfe
Kwhs:

I feel your pain. Even though I am a little farther away than you are, I would always pick a day of the week and go to Richmond and plop down my ten bucks to see as many games as I could stand to watch. But then greed took over.

Kwhs:

I feel your pain. Even though I am a little farther away than you are, I would always pick a day of the week and go to Richmond and plop down my ten bucks to see as many games as I could stand to watch. But then greed took over.
Yep. Paid 10 bucks and got to watch 6 games. Those days are long gone

The four regional championship games will be played either tomorrow or Saturday, but we now know the 8 teams who are State bound. Which two will make it to Richmond, where ultimately only one team will cut down the nets. For the record, I correctly picked 5 of the 8 teams listed when I did my regional picks. Middlesex, Twin Springs and Honaker proved me wrong, although I did have all three in the regional semifinals.

Region A: Lancaster and Middlesex. Middlesex has two losses on the season. Both were to Lancaster, by 51 and 32 points respectively. But both of those games were played over 2 months ago. Lancaster comes in undefeated and have been on a mission since their stunning loss in last year's state semifinals.

Region B: Franklin and Altavista. Altavista is a regular to the state tournament, finishing as runner up two years ago and losing to Westmoreland in the quarters last year. Franklin hasn't played at the state level recently, but this year's team is special. Length all over the floor and their defense leads them.

Region C: George Wythe and Auburn. This will be the 5th meeting between these two teams this season. GW has won three of those, but needed a buzzer beater to win last week's game. Auburn is the defending state champs and have a huge nucleus of that team back.

Region D: Twin Springs and Honaker. TS was the team that many pegged as the Region D favorite at the beginning of the season after returning the entire team that made it to the final four last year. They had a few more hiccups than most expected yet here they are back again. Honaker is a team that started slow this year, but finished strong. But despite winning their district, not many people, myself included thought they'd make it to the state tournament. But that's why they play the games and this team is playing exceptionally well right now and deserve to be here.

I'll do my state tournament predictions either this weekend or early next week, once the matchups are official for the state tournament.
Is the NFHS Network going to broadcast these games?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT