ADVERTISEMENT

Thomas Jefferson Stadium

VolNation85

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 29, 2013
I noticed that their first round game was a Saturday afternoon game and their game this week is too. Their game this week is being played at Huguenot High as well. Is their facilities inadequate? Do they not have lights? Or is it a safety concern with them being an inner city Richmond school?

After watching some of the live stream on Armstrong's twitter page, TJ's field was in bad shape. Also, not enough seating or amenities needed for going forward maybe?

Huguenot has a new turf stadium and complex. Probably the best for all involved.

So this is the best TJ football team in like...forever, right? Are the fans there going nuts or do they even know how to react? It still amazes be that they're the number 1 seed in the region and they lost to Caroline.

Reactions: CRF4Dan
Well TJ is 7-3. Next best team is 6-4 Warren Co., there are five 4-6 teams and a 2-8 team. Plus 3 of their wins came against 5A schools. I’m glad they had a good season because when 1A Essex beat them 38-30, those 7 games TJ won helped us with some valuable rider points.

So this is the best TJ football team in like...forever, right? Are the fans there going nuts or do they even know how to react? It still amazes be that they're the number 1 seed in the region and they lost to Caroline.

Yes, I have records going back to 1970 and their 7-3 season was the best since the 1972 team that did it. Now if you go back before 1970, they did win state titles when they were awarded not won on a field in any kind of playoff structure.

The turnaround for this program began with Coach Chad Hornik who is now at Deep Run. Prior to his arrival in 2012 they won 1 game in a 7 year span. Hornik was there for four seasons and won a total of 9 games in those 4 seasons including making the playoffs one year. However he began to change the culture, he got improvements to the facilities and the program for starters which is big for kids from the city who often don't get a lot because the deficiencies in the school system.

His time, his passion that he put into that program began to rub off on the kids.

Hornik left for Deep Run after the 2015 season and Coach Mitchell guided the Viking for one year, they were 4-5 last season, made the playoffs but lost in the first round.

Over the last few years what has helped the program too is a change in schedule... no longer playing many of the Class 5 or 6 schools in the Colonial and playing teams like Goochland, Essex, William Campbell and Greensville for examples. Schools more of their class size that they can actually compete with.

Plain and simple this season is a culmination of six seasons of coaches and players turning a program around. Coach PJ Adams has taken it to the next level this year and it does not hurt that they were able to hold onto kids like Jalen Jackson and Anwar Wilson-Bradley. Jalen was committed to Villanova but has since reopened his recruiting.

It is not unusual to see schools pluck kids from the city although there is no recruiting in high school... excuse me while I laugh. When I talked to Jalen before the season he acknowledged that he had heard from schools but he wanted to stay at TJ and finish what they had started and continue with the guys he's grown up with. You gotta admire that.

They are without a doubt the feel good team of the year in the 804 and I for one cannot wait to see how far this team can go.

Yes, I have records going back to 1970 and their 7-3 season was the best since the 1972 team that did it. Now if you go back before 1970, they did win state titles when they were awarded not won on a field in any kind of playoff structure.

The turnaround for this program began with Coach Chad Hornik who is now at Deep Run. Prior to his arrival in 2012 they won 1 game in a 7 year span. Hornik was there for four seasons and won a total of 9 games in those 4 seasons including making the playoffs one year. However he began to change the culture, he got improvements to the facilities and the program for starters which is big for kids from the city who often don't get a lot because the deficiencies in the school system.

His time, his passion that he put into that program began to rub off on the kids.

Hornik left for Deep Run after the 2015 season and Coach Mitchell guided the Viking for one year, they were 4-5 last season, made the playoffs but lost in the first round.

Over the last few years what has helped the program too is a change in schedule... no longer playing many of the Class 5 or 6 schools in the Colonial and playing teams like Goochland, Essex, William Campbell and Greensville for examples. Schools more of their class size that they can actually compete with.

Plain and simple this season is a culmination of six seasons of coaches and players turning a program around. Coach PJ Adams has taken it to the next level this year and it does not hurt that they were able to hold onto kids like Jalen Jackson and Anwar Wilson-Bradley. Jalen was committed to Villanova but has since reopened his recruiting.

It is not unusual to see schools pluck kids from the city although there is no recruiting in high school... excuse me while I laugh. When I talked to Jalen before the season he acknowledged that he had heard from schools but he wanted to stay at TJ and finish what they had started and continue with the guys he's grown up with. You gotta admire that.

They are without a doubt the feel good team of the year in the 804 and I for one cannot wait to see how far this team can go.
I would think this game with Culpeper will be close. Turnovers will probably be the difference maker

I noticed that their first round game was a Saturday afternoon game and their game this week is too. Their game this week is being played at Huguenot High as well. Is their facilities inadequate? Do they not have lights? Or is it a safety concern with them being an inner city Richmond school?
their stadium was built in September 11, 1930.
not actually in the INNER city
capacity will not handle a playoff crowd
in a residential area w/o parking

Not much chatter on this game. Culpeper just had their first playoff victory since '03 and TJ just had their first victory since....well, does anyone know? Hopefully the students are excited and pack the stadium. 2nd rd playoff games are rare for these teams. Someone is going to be playing for a regional title after this one.

TJ's facilities are honestly about on par with a rec league facility. It's not the school's fault, it's just something that has been left un-addressed for decades by Richmond City Schools.
that is the political correct thing to do.
In a vacuum both TJ and John Marshall need to be closed. The student bodies combined in a new high school that would serve both North Richmond and the West End.
In South Richmond they need to close George Wythe and send everybody to the new Huguenot High. The school board caught so much hell when they combined Armstrong and JFK they are simply scared.

Reactions: bulldog1150
I have always thought that there should be one city school north of the river and one south. But I also know that there are extenuating circumstances. There might be neighborhood issues that cause problems. However from an economies of scale perspective, it would make sense. But there are so many political agendas that it will never happen.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I have always thought that there should be one city school north of the river and one south. But I also know that there are extenuating circumstances. There might be neighborhood issues that cause problems. However from an economies of scale perspective, it would make sense. But there are so many political agendas that it will never happen.
i would settle for three like they tried before.

Not much chatter on this game. Culpeper just had their first playoff victory since '03 and TJ just had their first victory since....well, does anyone know? Hopefully the students are excited and pack the stadium. 2nd rd playoff games are rare for these teams. Someone is going to be playing for a regional title after this one.

The key is the health of the TJ running back. If he's healthy, then TJ looks to be the stronger side, but if he's still not 100% with that ankle injury, then Culpeper has a good chance of advancing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT