ADVERTISEMENT

Too Early Top 5

I agree. Most schools rarely have success over a long period but they have figured out a recipe! I would love to see a Maury-Phoebus matchup in the near future!
I believe Maury Vs Phoebus will be a preseason benefit game in August. Not 100% sure but Maury is going to be an all star team on the Southside. Nothing but respect for what Dyrii McCain and his staff has put together over there.

Warwick and Kings Fork moved up to class 5. Aside from a loaded Phoebus, Unfortunately Region A is really weak. I guess Warhill and Churchland may be the only other decent teams. Realistically there could be several 2-3 win teams in the Region A.
Didn’t realize how weak Region A was honestly. I can see Hampton, Warhill and Churchland battling it out for second place but most years Phoebus should have a smooth ride. By the way Hampton should be vastly improved this year.

Phoebus is LOADED again this year. There’s no replacing a talent like Jordan Bass of course but they return 8 on a defense that didn’t get scored on until regional finals last year. And the entire offensive line is back and stronger. There is now a STUD rising freshman QB in the program and a lot more surprises. I don’t know much about Class 4 but just know Phoebus is coming!
I'm sure Phoebus will be very good. However, The top programs in 4a won't be scared. Phoebus will have to get by King George, Dinwiddie. and Varina just to get a Crack at Salem , Ec Glass, Gw Danville, or one of many schools in Loudon County. Phoebus isnt the the only school with athletes

Eli throws a pretty ball, great touch from what I've seen in the couple 7v7 I've seen.

My list is really just a starting point for the season, basically where we finished up last year. Dinwiddie and Phoebus are interchangeable at the #1 IMO. King George was right with Dinwiddie last year. If they find a QB to get those stud receivers the ball, and can improve on D they will be extremely formidable. Varina usually has one of the toughest defenses in the state, if they can improve on offense they'll be tough. Reg C made improvements last year and gaining Woodgrove and Champe should help give Tuscarora a fight. I'd put Glass and Salem right on the outside of the T5 to begin with, but I look forward to seeing what Coach Lovelace can do, and to see if Salem has found their strength in line play.
Mike, I think you are being pretty humble by not including the Spartans in your top 5.

Admittedly, it’s hard to pack the potential top teams in JUST five slots.

I wish I knew more about the teams up in REGION C. It’s always a guessing game trying to include them in our pre-season discussions.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
I believe Region C overall will be the second strongest region in the state behind Region B. As far as the Semi-final representative, if Salem is back, we will be ranked last to start.

I believe Region C overall will be the second strongest region in the state behind Region B. As far as the Semi-final representative, if Salem is back, we will be ranked last to start.
Not disputing you but I believe D is the hardest by far and then D will be second.. Sherando, Glass, GW, and Amherst will all be very good even though they won’t be on Salem’s level. I have heard good things about Woodgrove and IMO they’ll come out of C. You all have an outstanding program. What’s your ranking of teams in Region C?

Phoebus is LOADED again this year. There’s no replacing a talent like Jordan Bass of course but they return 8 on a defense that didn’t get scored on until regional finals last year. And the entire offensive line is back and stronger. There is now a STUD rising freshman QB in the program and a lot more surprises. I don’t know much about Class 4 but just know Phoebus is coming!
@Phoebus Fan, you may not know much about Class IV, but Class IV knows about the Phantoms. The top dawgs in Region B know who they have to beat to get to "ship" and I can promise you the road to Lynchburg will be a whole lot harder for all parties involved.

Not disputing you but I believe D is the hardest by far and then D will be second.. Sherando, Glass, GW, and Amherst will all be very good even though they won’t be on Salem’s level. I have heard good things about Woodgrove and IMO they’ll come out of C. You all have an outstanding program. What’s your ranking of teams in Region C?
I'm biased but here we go.
1. Woodgrove
2. John Champe
3. Loudoun County
4. Tuscarora

I feel comfortable with these 4 against Region D's top 4 based on last years results. My predictions above don't have any research at this point. I'll watch all 4 of these teams within the first few weeks of the season. I'll have a much better read on them then.

I honestly think Region C often loses credibility, because the various teams have moved up and down in classifications quite a bit. It's surely hard to to put your faith in a program when every two years the region is significantly different. If you look at the first five year realignment (2013-2017) only Sherando appeared in a final. Since 2018, 4 teams from Region C (Woodgrove, Tuscarora, Broad Run and Kettle Run) have made the final with Woodgrove being the sole winner in 2018. If one plays the recent numbers dismissing a Region C representative from being a state final contender would be a risky bet; however, expecting them to win it all would be bigger risk.

State finalist and wins since 2013:

Salem - Region D, 5 appearances, 4 wins.
Lake Taylor - Region A, 5 appearances, 2 wins.
Dinwiddie - Region B, 3 appearances, 2 wins.
Varina - Region B, 1 appearance, 1 win.
Woodgrove - Region C, 1 appearance, 1 win.
Broad Run - Region C, 1 appearance, 0 wins
Tuscarora - Region C, 1 appearance 0 wins.
Louisa - Region B, 1 appearance, 0 wins.
Sherando - Region C and D, 1 appearance, 0 wins.

By Region: W/L, win %

Region D - Salem 4-1 .845
Region A - Lake Taylor 2-3 .425
Region B - Dinwiddie, Varina and Louisa 3-2 .635
Region C - Woodgrove, Broad Run, Tuscarora, Kettle Run and Sherando 1-4. .215

Reactions: RKE Fan
I'm sure Phoebus will be very good. However, The top programs in 4a won't be scared. Phoebus will have to get by King George, Dinwiddie. and Varina just to get a Crack at Salem , Ec Glass, Gw Danville, or one of many schools in Loudon County. Phoebus isnt the the only school with athletes
Ok? Never said any of this. Don’t start the bs feelings thing people in 3A did whenever Phoebus is mentioned.

@Phoebus Fan, you may not know much about Class IV, but Class IV knows about the Phantoms. The top dawgs in Region B know who they have to beat to get to "ship" and I can promise you the road to Lynchburg will be a whole lot harder for all parties involved.
Yessir we know all about Dinwiddie. Just praying that the matchup happens and is in Hampton! Nothing but respect for everybody out there tho. Kids playing football instead of running the streets…that’s all it’s about at the end of the day.

Reactions: mbonape1
I believe Maury Vs Phoebus will be a preseason benefit game in August. Not 100% sure but Maury is going to be an all star team on the Southside. Nothing but respect for what Dyrii McCain and his staff has put together over there.
Yea I saw the Phoebus schedule yesterday and it is scheduled. Just not sure the format. I wish it was a regular season game though so you could see a full game of both teams best effort.

I see a Phoebus vs Salem championship game on the horizon. Maybe Salem vs KG if they can pull the upset vs Phoebus.

I honestly think Region C often loses credibility, because the various teams have moved up and down in classifications quite a bit. It's surely hard to to put your faith in a program when every two years the region is significantly different. If you look at the first five year realignment (2013-2017) only Sherando appeared in a final. Since 2018, 4 teams from Region C (Woodgrove, Tuscarora, Broad Run and Kettle Run) have made the final with Woodgrove being the sole winner in 2018. If one plays the recent numbers dismissing a Region C representative from being a state final contender would be a risky bet; however, expecting them to win it all would be bigger risk.

State finalist and wins since 2013:

Salem - Region D, 5 appearances, 4 wins.
Lake Taylor - Region A, 5 appearances, 2 wins.
Dinwiddie - Region B, 3 appearances, 2 wins.
Varina - Region B, 1 appearance, 1 win.
Woodgrove - Region C, 1 appearance, 1 win.
Broad Run - Region C, 1 appearance, 0 wins
Tuscarora - Region C, 1 appearance 0 wins.
Louisa - Region B, 1 appearance, 0 wins.
Sherando - Region C and D, 1 appearance, 0 wins.

By Region: W/L, win %

Region D - Salem 4-1 .845
Region A - Lake Taylor 2-3 .425
Region B - Dinwiddie, Varina and Louisa 3-2 .635
Region C - Woodgrove, Broad Run, Tuscarora, Kettle Run and Sherando 1-4. .215
Sir, I believe the disparity between making the finals and winning it for Region C has to do with the decline of Salem and the Region C vs D format. Don't get me wrong they're a great program (probably the best ever in 4A and one of the best in the state) but over the last 5 years they've won only 1 State Championship. For most schools, like Woodgrove, this is an awesome accomplishment but for Salem it's a drop off from the dynasty years. No other school in 4D stepped up during this time frame. This is why I'm always hesitant to believe the 4D hype outside of Salem. It's already started in this thread GW, EC Glass listed as possible top 10 schools. Both schools are good programs but haven't been able to break through the glass to the next level. Woodgrove was the same way until 2018. I thought in 2019 Tuscarora (thought to be better than 2018 Woodgrove) would have beaten Lake Taylor (Not as dominant as 2018 Lake Taylor) but they just couldn't match Lake Taylor's offense score for score like Woodgrove did. I still hold that Region C, top to bottom, is a distant second best region in Class 4 to Region B over the last 5 years.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Yea I saw the Phoebus schedule yesterday and it is scheduled. Just not sure the format. I wish it was a regular season game though so you could see a full game of both teams best effort.
All of our benefit games are played like regular games but of course not the whole game. You’ll definitely be able to gage where those teams are at going into week 1 but nothing more.

Reactions: VolNation85
Yessir we know all about Dinwiddie. Just praying that the matchup happens and is in Hampton! Nothing but respect for everybody out there tho. Kids playing football instead of running the streets…that’s all it’s about at the end of the day.
Yeah and Dinwiddie who is 0-2 against Phoebus knows you well. I was simply saying the champion in B (whoever that is) will have their hands full with an almost sure matchup up with Phoebus.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching the Phantoms play in the Class 3 Championship last year. Athletes on both sides of the ball. Although Heritage had some success (I said some) running the ball the Phantoms D-Line really impressed me. Especially when they got up by 21. The Phoebus young men pinned their ears back and were a handful. I honestly think the better teams in Class 4 will have similar athletic talent and speed.

Again, whoever wins it all this year will have to beat some phenomenal teams. Fans dream and coaches nightmare. Every game will count. I guess we will be able to do a bit of comparing as both Phoebus and Dinwiddie play Maury.

@wolverinedad2018, I can't disagree with your thoughts on Region C, but I will say Salem has a 90% chance of winning D. If the Spartans get to the final four, I would have a tough time betting against them to make the final. With the speed they have at the skilled positions they are surely capable of competing with Phoebus and the top teams from Region B. I don't necessarily buy the alleged interior line issues. Salem fans tend to sandbag, so don't let the dog bite you.

It appears to me that this upcoming season in Class 4 will be one of the most competitive, and thus most exciting in recent years.

It will be fun having Phoebus back. And hopefully we will see an improved Hampton team. But I’ll miss some of the old yearly contenders that we have enjoyed talking about so much. Primarily Louisa and Kings Fork.

The bottom line? Whomever wears the Class 4 crown this year will be one bad ass team.

Last edited:
Many will laugh but Huguenot will be a top 10 team. They’ll have to prove it on the field but this is a team who is deeper and more talented (on paper) than the defending Region A champ, Warwick. Now are they on Dinwiddie, KG or even Varina’s level? I would bet on all of those teams, but don’t be surprised if Huguenot is fighting for a top 4 seed in Region B. They’ll get some some damn great point opportunities against Bird, Manchester, Cosby and James River. Let’s just say they beat Bird, Cosby and JR? 8-2 jumps an undefeated KG team. I’m looking at a 8-2 Varina team (HS and Freedom beats them), Dinwiddie is normally safe top 2 assuming they take care of Dale, but KG’s opponents hurt them with Eastern View and Courtland being down. Don’t shoot the messenger but I see Huguey in position to host a playoff game this November.

What’s up peeps! I think this years top 5 can rival the top 5 of any seasons of the past. Hard to be sure though. I still think class 4 was best top to bottom in 2017. BTW, did anyone else see Cole Beck formerly of Blacksburg ran a 9.87 FAT 100M time the other day. Imagine having that and not winning states, shows you how good class 4 was. I think my preseason top 5 would be

1. Dinwiddie - deserves number 1 spot until they are beaten
2. Phoebus - the way they dismantled Oscar Smith last year got my attention
3. Salem - just going off hearsay but history tells me they will be there
4. Varina - had a great season last year but maybe underperformed a little? Can they play closer to their celling?
5. KG - The way this program has accelerated its growth is impressive. They have been a play or two away from breaking through 2 of the last 3 seasons.

Anyone want to take a shot at 6-10 this year?

6. Woodgrove
7. Glass
8. Huguenot
9. Champe
10. Powhatan

Could be 9 or 10: Tusky, GW, Sherando, PH, Hanover

Great list @BleedingNavy. Call me 804 bias but Region B is the SEC of VA high school football.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
6. Woodgrove
7. Glass
8. Huguenot
9. Champe
10. Powhatan

Could be 9 or 10: Tusky, GW, Sherando, PH, Hanover

Great list @BleedingNavy. Call me 804 bias but Region B is the SEC of VA high school football.
I don't think Amherst will be Top 10 or anything, but I'm seeing good things out of their rising Soph QB/LB, Tres Liggon. He seems like a hard worker and a leader. He's also 6'1" 200. Every couple days he Tweets the work he and his teammates are putting in. We'll have to keep an eye on the Lancers this fall. Could contend to be a Top 3 or 4 team in Reg D.

I don't think Amherst will be Top 10 or anything, but I'm seeing good things out of their rising Soph QB/LB, Tres Liggon. He seems like a hard worker and a leader. He's also 6'1" 200. Every couple days he Tweets the work he and his teammates are putting in. We'll have to keep an eye on the Lancers this fall. Could contend to be a Top 3 or 4 team in Reg D.
I’m very high on them too Mike. Glass lost some pieces and has a new staff, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Lancers a couple key games in the Seminole.

Since you brought up Reg A, I wonder if or when Hampton will ever return to prominence? After all they are the most storied program in the state. I realize much of their success was due to the tremendous coaching, but they also had tremendous players. Their last title was 2005, and Phoebus has taken the city of Hampton mantle since then, but I wonder if the Crabbers can get back to the stage anytime soon?
I have a hard time seeing both programs at the top. Imagine living in Hampton right now and you have the opportunity to play at Phoebus.

Many will laugh but Huguenot will be a top 10 team. They’ll have to prove it on the field but this is a team who is deeper and more talented (on paper) than the defending Region A champ, Warwick. Now are they on Dinwiddie, KG or even Varina’s level? I would bet on all of those teams, but don’t be surprised if Huguenot is fighting for a top 4 seed in Region B. They’ll get some some damn great point opportunities against Bird, Manchester, Cosby and James River. Let’s just say they beat Bird, Cosby and JR? 8-2 jumps an undefeated KG team. I’m looking at a 8-2 Varina team (HS and Freedom beats them), Dinwiddie is normally safe top 2 assuming they take care of Dale, but KG’s opponents hurt them with Eastern View and Courtland being down. Don’t shoot the messenger but I see Huguey in position to host a playoff game this November.
Well buddy, I may be eating my Huguenot crow in late Nov., but if so, I’ll do so with dignity and respect. But I’m just not drinking the Huguenot kool-aide. It takes more than a few talented players to make a top 10 team.

Well buddy, I may be eating my Huguenot crow in late Nov., but if so, I’ll do so with dignity and respect. But I’m just not drinking the Huguenot kool-aide. It takes more than a few talented players to make a top 10 team.
I know a lot of people won’t agree with me and if this generation was the same as it was 10 years ago, I’d be right there with you all. As of today, you see a top heavy talent pool at Highland Springs, Varina and Huguenot. The biggest difference is those programs are established and were built from the ground up. We’ll see very soon.

Reactions: CRF4Dan
What’s up peeps! I think this years top 5 can rival the top 5 of any seasons of the past. Hard to be sure though. I still think class 4 was best top to bottom in 2017. BTW, did anyone else see Cole Beck formerly of Blacksburg ran a 9.87 FAT 100M time the other day. Imagine having that and not winning states, shows you how good class 4 was. I think my preseason top 5 would be

1. Dinwiddie - deserves number 1 spot until they are beaten
2. Phoebus - the way they dismantled Oscar Smith last year got my attention
3. Salem - just going off hearsay but history tells me they will be there
4. Varina - had a great season last year but maybe underperformed a little? Can they play closer to their celling?
5. KG - The way this program has accelerated its growth is impressive. They have been a play or two away from breaking through 2 of the last 3 seasons.

Anyone want to take a shot at 6-10 this year?
Just for your background info:
Salem has number 1 and number 3 recruit in State. Chris Cole, Peyton Lewis
Have elite speed in all skilled positions.
Their season will be determined by how offensive and defensive line develop

Reactions: SFUWO and mbonape1
I know a lot of people won’t agree with me and if this generation was the same as it was 10 years ago, I’d be right there with you all. As of today, you see a top heavy talent pool at Highland Springs, Varina and Huguenot. The biggest difference is those programs are established and were built from the ground up. We’ll see very soon.
Huguenot will have a stable of good players soon. They already got a few good transfers in with college offers. They will be young this year though. Mostly underclass men in terms of their real prospects. I think they will be improved this year with a major step up year 2-3. I’m not going to put them up with the big dogs prematurely but can they potentially find their way into an 8 team playoff field. Not sure in region B year one. However, year two and beyond they will have the talent to be in the discussion without a doubt

Just for your background info:
Salem has number 1 and number 3 recruit in State. Chris Cole, Peyton Lewis
Have elite speed in all skilled positions.
Their season will be determined by how offensive and defensive line develop
@southbottomU thanks, I’ll check out Chris and Peyton on YouTube. Salem with elite speed sounds pretty scary. I realize it’s super early but if you had to prognosticate your expectations for this team, which Salem team of the past would you compare them to?

I really won't be able to answer your questions until I see them scrimmage and play benefit game. Salem has never had this much team speed ( Lewis will be one of the fastest if not the fastest running back in 4a history--and he is not small. 6 1 200 and cut) but Salem will have speed all over the field not just Lewis. However, the reason I can't answer right now is because they have huge question marks in the offensive and defensive line. I actually think this team will be like no other Salem has had. They will run the same old stuff but this team will be smaller and faster. They won't grind you into submission like many Salem teams in the past, they will be much more explosive. I doubt Salem will see a normal kick off or punt all year--I can't imagine anyone kicking or punting to Lewis . He destroys angles. If you made me pick a past Salem team I would say the team with De Angelo Ramsey (2017). Ramsey just destroyed opponents with his size and speed. Lewis is almost as big and faster. The question will be can Salems offensive line be anywhere near as good as the one Ramsey ran behind.

I really won't be able to answer your questions until I see them scrimmage and play benefit game. Salem has never had this much team speed ( Lewis will be one of the fastest if not the fastest running back in 4a history--and he is not small. 6 1 200 and cut) but Salem will have speed all over the field not just Lewis. However, the reason I can't answer right now is because they have huge question marks in the offensive and defensive line. I actually think this team will be like no other Salem has had. They will run the same old stuff but this team will be smaller and faster. They won't grind you into submission like many Salem teams in the past, they will be much more explosive. I doubt Salem will see a normal kick off or punt all year--I can't imagine anyone kicking or punting to Lewis . He destroys angles. If you made me pick a past Salem team I would say the team with De Angelo Ramsey (2017). Ramsey just destroyed opponents with his size and speed. Lewis is almost as big and faster. The question will be can Salems offensive line be anywhere near as good as the one Ramsey ran behind.
2017 Salem was a whale of a team! Excited to see this years Spartans

Huguenot will have a stable of good players soon. They already got a few good transfers in with college offers. They will be young this year though. Mostly underclass men in terms of their real prospects. I think they will be improved this year with a major step up year 2-3. I’m not going to put them up with the big dogs prematurely but can they potentially find their way into an 8 team playoff field. Not sure in region B year one. However, year two and beyond they will have the talent to be in the discussion without a doubt
What’s up bro, hope all is well with you. Good seeing you and @BleedingNavy back on here giving us the 804 rundown.

I agree with you on the contender status in a few years. I just feel with this high school portal, they’ll get some more horses over the summer. I think they’ll be good enough for 8-2. They won’t compete with the big 3 though. I’m very high on Powhatan. They were very young last year. I think they’ll be in contention for that 4th spot. Just don’t see PH having much this year unless that RB (should be a rising junior) is back. I think he either got hurt last year or transferred. Hanover is gonna be well coached and physical. Think they’ll be dangerous by playoff time

What’s up bro, hope all is well with you. Good seeing you and @BleedingNavy back on here giving us the 804 rundown.

I agree with you on the contender status in a few years. I just feel with this high school portal, they’ll get some more horses over the summer. I think they’ll be good enough for 8-2. They won’t compete with the big 3 though. I’m very high on Powhatan. They were very young last year. I think they’ll be in contention for that 4th spot. Just don’t see PH having much this year unless that RB (should be a rising junior) is back. I think he either got hurt last year or transferred. Hanover is gonna be well coached and physical. Think they’ll be dangerous by playoff time
If they get a few additional transfers in then yeah… They could make a little noise

Right now, it's got the potential to be a better team than last year but not sure I'd take it further just yet. This speed existed last year as well but when they couldn't air the ball well, teams bottled up Lewis and things plodded. QB play is probably being undervalued right now. If teams know Salem can't throw, unless the line is just god-like then teams will put 9 in the box and punish Lewis. If the WRs and QB can make things happen then Lewis will feast. There's enough talent everywhere else to carry an average or mediocre line but that necessitates quality QB play. The PA is a Salem staple but if the line can't hold for it that's not the end of the world so long as the QB can do his job with screens and short passes, the speed involved here can turn some 0-5 yard passes into very long gains.

Back 7 on D you'd feel extremely confident about knowing the talent and speed back there. Not a clue what the DL holds but if they can pull their weight the D could be filthy.

Drinks are on me if this comes true. I just can't see it. The way Bo see's Herm's staff(which I agree) is the same way I see this staff.

Drinks are on me if this comes true. I just can't see it. The way Bo see's Herm's staff(which I agree) is the same way I see this staff.
I agree, talent wise Huguey is a top 5 team in the 804 but it’ll depend on who they have coaching. Herm was loaded last year and went 6-5. Coaching and discipline are why teams like Dinwiddie, Salem, Highland Springs and Stone Bridge are always the standard.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Right now, it's got the potential to be a better team than last year but not sure I'd take it further just yet. This speed existed last year as well but when they couldn't air the ball well, teams bottled up Lewis and things plodded. QB play is probably being undervalued right now. If teams know Salem can't throw, unless the line is just god-like then teams will put 9 in the box and punish Lewis. If the WRs and QB can make things happen then Lewis will feast. There's enough talent everywhere else to carry an average or mediocre line but that necessitates quality QB play. The PA is a Salem staple but if the line can't hold for it that's not the end of the world so long as the QB can do his job with screens and short passes, the speed involved here can turn some 0-5 yard passes into very long gains.

Back 7 on D you'd feel extremely confident about knowing the talent and speed back there. Not a clue what the DL holds but if they can pull their weight the D could be filthy.
I agree, hence why I said earlier in this post, Salem with all the speed should run more spread this year to keep teams from stacking the box. But, you know how some of us Salem fans are, they get very temperamental.. lol!! Lewis isn’t the only speedster on this team, they have some legitimate speed beside the tail back positio, teams would have to respect that speed. Personally I think Salem would have benefiTed running more spread last year

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT