ADVERTISEMENT

Too Early Top 5

Salem will have the best collection of skill guys along with Varina. Varina doesn’t have any 5 stars but they have about 10 kids with at least an FCS offer. every day do you have such a deep collection in a small city like Salem to have two potential 5 star players. That’s pretty impressive for both teams. KG and Phoebus (they’ll be LOADED) are next up. Dinwiddie has the best player in the classification with all due respect to the great players in C4. Dalton and Lewis will be must watch TV this year. Michael Thomas (Glass) and Mori Dixon (GW) are gonna be fun to watch as well, representing the 434.

What’s the scoop on Champe Mike?
No scoop on Champe, but I think there are 4 likely competitors for the Reg C Champ- Tuscarora, (9-2) Woodgrove, (7-4) Loudoun Co, (12-1) and Champe (8-4) (last year's record) Champe has been playing in C6 and Woodgrove in C5. IDK which of these teams, or someone else, will emerge from Reg C, I just picked Champe because they've been playing at a higher level and they had a pretty good year last season. Just a guess?

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
1.Phoebus(feels like 2006-2014 has re entered the building)
2.King George (2 power 5 WRs creates an equalizer other teams simply don't have)
3. Salem(Same old Salem plus same shaky region)
4. Dinwiddie( Best player in the state returns plus some very key spots but losing 85% of defense plus some O-line gives a pause for concern)
5. Varina ( Plenty of talent but new quarterback plus new offensive staff and some other staff changes. Gotta see how everything comes together)

I have no clue how teams project, but I do know the top three teams in Region B Dinwiddie, Varina and King George (no specific order) will be very good. Dinwiddie needs to replace some sound defenders, King George must find a new QB to get the ball to their all world receivers, and Varina must find a running game to compliment their very talented new quarterback. I saw Phoebus play in the state final last year and with what they have returning the Phantoms will be tough to beat. Not discounting Region C, but Salem just seems to have the athletes this year to make a return to the final. Can the Spartans take out one of the juggernauts from Region A or B? They have before, but as Sparty fans have acknowledged they must get better interior line play. Phoebus and Varina are crazy good on the d line and Dinwiddie has three ball carriers (Dalton, Wiggins and Tucker) who could legitimately surpass last seasons 4,300 team yards gained on the ground. King George @GoBlue2109 already said it. Tough to defend those two beast receivers.

1.Phoebus(feels like 2006-2014 has re entered the building)
2.King George (2 power 5 WRs creates an equalizer other teams simply don't have)
3. Salem(Same old Salem plus same shaky region)
4. Dinwiddie( Best player in the state returns plus some very key spots but losing 85% of defense plus some O-line gives a pause for concern)
5. Varina ( Plenty of talent but new quarterback plus new offensive staff and some other staff changes. Gotta see how everything comes together)
Shaky region? Same Old Salem?
I call bs on both. Especially same Old Salem. Salem has more speed than any team in school history. May have less line talent than usual , but no school will be faster at the skilled positions

Reactions: BGfootball95
With what has been posted so far, I like @BoKnowsSports top 5 picks. However, I admittedly don't have enough knowledge on Varina and King George to really see where they stack up against Phoebus, Salem, and Dinwiddie. I watched the Phoebus game online last December and they absolutely look like the Phoebus of old. I'd be tempted to have them at the top spot, but think Dinwiddie has plenty left in the tank to go along with Dalton as they roll towards a shot at back-to-back titles. I also agree with @southbottomU, that this Salem team is NOT the traditional Spartans squad. There's some good and some bad (or maybe just unknown) with that. The bad is they just don't seem to have the experienced big "Mules" that have helped propel them to so many state championships. However, what I'm hearing is that what the O and D lines may lack in size may be somewhat offset with quickness. That said, lack of experience will be a factor either way. Salem's advantage will absolutely be team speed. With my daughter running indoor and outdoor track at Salem this year, I've had a chance to watch a number of meets. I was stunned at how dominant Salem has been in some of those events and almost all of those runners are football players. Josiah Persinger is about one step behind Lewis and has pushed him at times. Trenton Moyer and Cohen Logan (Chauncey's little brother) are extremely fast too. I also think you'll be hard pressed to find a 6'3 LB who's as fast and moves as well as Chris Cole. There's a reason he's blown up over the last 6 months. He's going to shock people at how good he's gotten this year. I also think Lewis is going to put on a show offensively. He finally has a year of experience under his belt after all the early injuries. You're going to see him running with a lot more confidence and power to go along with his elite speed. Finally, I know people will question the QB spot, but I know Eli Taylor pretty well. I'm telling you he's working his butt off to learn the system, which pairs nicely with his 4.0 and being a true student of the game (not to mention he's got a good arm). At the end of the day, I'm just not sure if there's much separation between any of the teams people have thrown out so far. I also think Mike is right that there will be a at least one contender from Loudon County. Fun times ahead for sure!

With what has been posted so far, I like @BoKnowsSports top 5 picks. However, I admittedly don't have enough knowledge on Varina and King George to really see where they stack up against Phoebus, Salem, and Dinwiddie. I watched the Phoebus game online last December and they absolutely look like the Phoebus of old. I'd be tempted to have them at the top spot, but think Dinwiddie has plenty left in the tank to go along with Dalton as they roll towards a shot at back-to-back titles. I also agree with @southbottomU, that this Salem team is NOT the traditional Spartans squad. There's some good and some bad (or maybe just unknown) with that. The bad is they just don't seem to have the experienced big "Mules" that have helped propel them to so many state championships. However, what I'm hearing is that what the O and D lines may lack in size may be somewhat offset with quickness. That said, lack of experience will be a factor either way. Salem's advantage will absolutely be team speed. With my daughter running indoor and outdoor track at Salem this year, I've had a chance to watch a number of meets. I was stunned at how dominant Salem has been in some of those events and almost all of those runners are football players. Josiah Persinger is about one step behind Lewis and has pushed him at times. Trenton Moyer and Cohen Logan (Chauncey's little brother) are extremely fast too. I also think you'll be hard pressed to find a 6'3 LB who's as fast and moves as well as Chris Cole. There's a reason he's blown up over the last 6 months. He's going to shock people at how good he's gotten this year. I also think Lewis is going to put on a show offensively. He finally has a year of experience under his belt after all the early injuries. You're going to see him running with a lot more confidence and power to go along with his elite speed. Finally, I know people will question the QB spot, but I know Eli Taylor pretty well. I'm telling you he's working his butt off to learn the system, which pairs nicely with his 4.0 and being a true student of the game (not to mention he's got a good arm). At the end of the day, I'm just not sure if there's much separation between any of the teams people have thrown out so far. I also think Mike is right that there will be a at least one contender from Loudon County. Fun times ahead for sure!
Eli throws a pretty ball, great touch from what I've seen in the couple 7v7 I've seen.

My list is really just a starting point for the season, basically where we finished up last year. Dinwiddie and Phoebus are interchangeable at the #1 IMO. King George was right with Dinwiddie last year. If they find a QB to get those stud receivers the ball, and can improve on D they will be extremely formidable. Varina usually has one of the toughest defenses in the state, if they can improve on offense they'll be tough. Reg C made improvements last year and gaining Woodgrove and Champe should help give Tuscarora a fight. I'd put Glass and Salem right on the outside of the T5 to begin with, but I look forward to seeing what Coach Lovelace can do, and to see if Salem has found their strength in line play.

Shaky region? Same Old Salem?
I call bs on both. Especially same Old Salem. Salem has more speed than any team in school history. May have less line talent than usual , but no school will be faster at the skilled positions
Doesn’t really matter unless they change up the offense.. The ole counter and trap ain’t gonna work if the line isn’t up to par. It’s what killed them last year. Maybe spread the field and get that speed in open field.

Reactions: dblplaa
Doesn’t really matter unless they change up the offense.. The ole counter and trap ain’t gonna work if the line isn’t up to par. It’s what killed them last year. Maybe spread the field and get that speed in open field.
@Kilroy25 I clearly understand your point about getting Salem's big time athletes more involved; however, if the Spartans are able to get to the final their base offense certainly could present problems for many of the teams in the east. Most of the teams in Region B and A run some variation of the spread and rarely do they see the power running game Salem is known for. Yes, they need solid line play to be successful, but in today's game traps, old style screens, and play action passing is tough to prepare for in a week. Don't get me wrong just like 2022 EC Glass, very physical defenses like Varina and Phoebus are very capable of giving the Spartans smash mouth game a run for their money. Even with their exceptional speed I suspect the Salem coaches would prefer a physical style game versus a track meet. I am not implying Salem can't play with teams from the east that ship sailed long ago, but I would be very apprehensive about Salem trying to spread things out. That would play right into the hands of the high scoring offenses like Dinwiddie, and King George.

@Kilroy25 I clearly understand your point about getting Salem's big time athletes more involved; however, if the Spartans are able to get to the final their base offense certainly could present problems for many of the teams in the east. Most of the teams in Region B and A run some variation of the spread and rarely do they see the power running game Salem is known for. Yes, they need solid line play to be successful, but in today's game traps, old style screens, and play action passing is tough to prepare for in a week. Don't get me wrong just like 2022 EC Glass, very physical defenses like Varina and Phoebus are very capable of giving the Spartans smash mouth game a run for their money. Even with their exceptional speed I suspect the Salem coaches would prefer a physical style game versus a track meet. I am not implying Salem can't play with teams from the east that ship sailed long ago, but I would be very apprehensive about Salem trying to spread things out. That would play right into the hands of the high scoring offenses like Dinwiddie, and King George.
There are plays within the Salem system that can feature their team speed. Things like play action passing and screens could really get players in the open field. The traditional pitch has been devastating to teams. Also a little more emphasis on the short passing game to the backs are all available within the Salem traditional offense.

There are plays within the Salem system that can feature their team speed. Things like play action passing and screens could really get players in the open field. The traditional pitch has been devastating to teams. Also a little more emphasis on the short passing game to the backs are all available within the Salem traditional offense.
Exactly! Salem's sweep could be scary with Lewis and Persinger. Being different and precise makes Salem tough to defend.

The ole trap and counter has made Salem the winningest program in the state the past 10 years. But hey lets change it up and spread the ball out more.

Reactions: Senex
Everybody Salem will play in the playoffs will have seen 8 or 9 spread teams over the course of the season. In my opinion their offense benefits them the most in the playoffs because suddenly that team with 5 DBs and 3 LB will have to deal with someone who is coming downhill to hit you in the mouth. Most teams aren't built to stop a team that is patient and willing to pound on you with power, counter, trap, toss sweep and some well placed play action passes.

All that being said, someone is going to have to stop Dinwiddies offense in order to win the state title. Because you will be hard-pressed to outscore them. Phoebus returns a ludicrous amount of talent on defense. Whoever comes out of the east will be battle tested or possibly beat all to pieces from the first 4 rounds.

Last edited:
The ole trap and counter has made Salem the winningest program in the state the past 10 years. But hey lets change it up and spread the ball out more.
I think your misunderstanding what I’m saying, you don’t have to completely abandon the “ole trap and counter” but switch it up some, get that speed in open field. I’ve not seen Salem run a screen in years!! Salem is probably gonna have one of the weakest O-lines they’ve had in years, that’s why I’m skeptical of running power over and over

I think adding Vance to the returning OL starters Bryie and Fields will be a good foundation for the line. I was also thinking Sr #36 Wilson Rakes might be a good option at one of the G spots.

The addition to the DL I'm equally excited about is Jr #34 Dontay Davis. I thought they might have used him last year during the playoffs.

Probably could add Warwick to the discussion. It’ll come down to them and Phoebus in Region A.

Probably could add Warwick to the discussion. It’ll come down to them and Phoebus in Region A.
Since you brought up Reg A, I wonder if or when Hampton will ever return to prominence? After all they are the most storied program in the state. I realize much of their success was due to the tremendous coaching, but they also had tremendous players. Their last title was 2005, and Phoebus has taken the city of Hampton mantle since then, but I wonder if the Crabbers can get back to the stage anytime soon?

Since you brought up Reg A, I wonder if or when Hampton will ever return to prominence? After all they are the most storied program in the state. I realize much of their success was due to the tremendous coaching, but they also had tremendous players. Their last title was 2005, and Phoebus has taken the city of Hampton mantle since then, but I wonder if the Crabbers can get back to the stage anytime soon?
Good question Mike. I’ve seen Hampton’s basketball team play a couple of handful of times the past 4-5 years. I was shocked of how bad they were. Just don’t have the athletes. Growing up, I’d hear about Crabber basketball and football.. Their most recent title was in 2012 when they beat Frank Mason & Petersburg. They haven’t had any “blow you off the page” teams since. Their football program has seen some trying times. They lost to Gloucester a few years back and hasn’t been competitive with Phoebus. For the sake of our love of VA HS football, I’d like to see them relevant again.

Warwick and Kings Fork moved up to class 5. Aside from a loaded Phoebus, Unfortunately Region A is really weak. I guess Warhill and Churchland may be the only other decent teams. Realistically there could be several 2-3 win teams in the Region A.

Warwick and Kings Fork moved up to class 5. Aside from a loaded Phoebus, Unfortunately Region A is really weak. I guess Warhill and Churchland may be the only other decent teams. Realistically there could be several 2-3 win teams in the Region A.
Thank you Navy, I didn’t know that. C5 will be tough next year even with HS moving up. Stone Bridge vs whoever comes out of that bloodbath in the 757.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Thank you Navy, I didn’t know that. C5 will be tough next year even with HS moving up. Stone Bridge vs whoever comes out of that bloodbath in the 757.
I like Stone Bridge vs Maury in C5. I think Maury is the clear cut favorite between region A and B until someone proves otherwise. The 2023 Commodores might be the most talented group of skill players they have had in a while. If they get quality OL/DL play then I have them winning it all in 2023.

Maury has surprised me with their consistency. After the championship year with Lambert I thought they were going to fall back towards the pack. Nope they have proven to be a real program and if their running back doesn't get hurt last year, I believe they would've had a close one possession game with HSHS in the championship.

Maury has surprised me with their consistency. After the championship year with Lambert I thought they were going to fall back towards the pack. Nope they have proven to be a real program and if their running back doesn't get hurt last year, I believe they would've had a close one possession game with HSHS in the championship.
I agree. Most schools rarely have success over a long period but they have figured out a recipe! I would love to see a Maury-Phoebus matchup in the near future!

No scoop on Champe, but I think there are 4 likely competitors for the Reg C Champ- Tuscarora, (9-2) Woodgrove, (7-4) Loudoun Co, (12-1) and Champe (8-4) (last year's record) Champe has been playing in C6 and Woodgrove in C5. IDK which of these teams, or someone else, will emerge from Reg C, I just picked Champe because they've been playing at a higher level and they had a pretty good year last season. Just a guess?
Champe lost their QB, absolute stud.

Phoebus is LOADED again this year. There’s no replacing a talent like Jordan Bass of course but they return 8 on a defense that didn’t get scored on until regional finals last year. And the entire offensive line is back and stronger. There is now a STUD rising freshman QB in the program and a lot more surprises. I don’t know much about Class 4 but just know Phoebus is coming!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT