ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer "Portal"

ACFC

Gold Member
Oct 24, 2013
What is everyone hearing about kids transferring in the Lynchburg/Roanoke area? Been some pretty significant moves the last few years. Any as big as Blake transferring from Northside to Heritage a few years ago?

Holden Ayers transferring from Amherst to glass is a bigger deal. Doesn’t get a lot of publicity because he is a lineman but he might be the best oline in the district.
I agree. Blake might not have been the “biggest deal” transfer on his team. RB KJ Vaughan transferring in was equally important if not more. He gave them a legit run threat other than Blake.

There's some talk about Jake Grove going to Amherst. If that happens, Holden Ayers might want to reconsider and stay put.

There's some talk about Jake Grove going to Amherst. If that happens, Holden Ayers might want to reconsider and stay put.
Is all of this transferring to another school business the decisions of these high school kids? Or do their parents make the decisions for them? In this conversation, it sounds like the kids are to make these decisions.

Great question! I can't speak for any of them personally, but I would think that a young man that aspires to play at the next level would want to put himself in the best position to make that possible. Amherst was a disaster last year, so I could understand a player like Ayers wanting to move to improve his chances. It's the popular choice in college too. I think I saw some crazy number like 800 D1 athletes transferred last year.

Great question! I can't speak for any of them personally, but I would think that a young man that aspires to play at the next level would want to put himself in the best position to make that possible. Amherst was a disaster last year, so I could understand a player like Ayers wanting to move to improve his chances. It's the popular choice in college too. I think I saw some crazy number like 800 D1 athletes transferred last year.
I guess I am as old school as my parents were. Both of my parents worked at Phillip Morris, Inc. , me and my sister went to Highland Springs HS, I know if I played football and wanted to go to another school to play that was a "better fit" for me, they would have given me the stink eye and said, "Are you crazy boy!?" Selling the house and uprooting everything they'd established to that point would have been completely out of the question!!! I would've had to make the best of my situation as it was... Which brings me to the idea that if a kid puts all of his efforts forward where he is, should suffice towards his future. If he's lazy or just not good enough to get that elusive scholarship, does it really matter where he is?

I guess these days are different and parents either can work wherever.

I will find out Monday night if he’s coming or not

Reactions: rainman17
Why would that make a difference?
EC Glass doesn't have an O-Line coach as good as Grove! Come on man. Did Reuben Brown come back to coach at Glass and Coach Woody is keeping it a secret? Now, if his goal is to just win games, then Glass is gonna be the better choice. I'm just speaking on what's going to make him the best O-lineman that he can be.

E.C. glass line coach played oline in college for 4 years and then coached in college for 7 years. He is not nearly as a big of a name but I will promise you he is as good if not better as a coach. I don’t like it when people make dumb statements.

E.C. glass line coach played oline in college for 4 years and then coached in college for 7 years. He is not nearly as a big of a name but I will promise you he is as good if not better as a coach. I don’t like it when people make dumb statements.
Equally as dumb^

Ok bud, you're right!
4 years of playing in college and 7 years of college coaching > All-American, Rimington Award winning college career at VT plus a 6 year NFL career.
Oh, I get your math! 11 > 10

Equally as dumb^
Explain, why would a lineman benefit from being coached by grove in a system that does not translate to college? I am sure Grove is a good coach but to say he is a better coach because he has a more decorated playing career is dumb. Coach Crews is also a very good coach. So explain to me what is dumb about my comment.

Ok bud, you're right!
4 years of playing in college and 7 years of college coaching > All-American, Rimington Award winning college career at VT plus a 6 year NFL career.
Oh, I get your math! 11 > 10
I never said crews was a better player. I know plenty of people who played in the nfl that are average coaches.

I never said crews was a better player. I know plenty of people who played in the nfl that are average coaches.
This is going in a completely different direction than I meant. I am in no way, shape, or form saying that Coach Crews is not a good coach. I do not know the man and I'm not trying to criiticize him. I'm just saying that if I was a player that had the opportunity to play for someone that has the knowledge and experience of someone like Grove, I'd take advantage of it without hesitation. That's all I'm saying!

I understand that his name means a lot but the truth is he is already enrolled at glass. He is part of a quality program that has a very good line coach, he is being put into a position that will allow him to continue football in college. I believe people get caught up in names. I don’t doubt grove is a good coach but to put him in a different class because of his playing career is just wrong.

I guess I am as old school as my parents were. Both of my parents worked at Phillip Morris, Inc. , me and my sister went to Highland Springs HS, I know if I played football and wanted to go to another school to play that was a "better fit" for me, they would have given me the stink eye and said, "Are you crazy boy!?" Selling the house and uprooting everything they'd established to that point would have been completely out of the question!!! I would've had to make the best of my situation as it was... Which brings me to the idea that if a kid puts all of his efforts forward where he is, should suffice towards his future. If he's lazy or just not good enough to get that elusive scholarship, does it really matter where he is?

I guess these days are different and parents either can work wherever.
I understand your point but, it is much different nowadays, for better or for worse. Most of the time it does suffice for a kid to make the most of his current situation however, it is a known fact that some schools get recruited more because they win more or because they have a strong tradition of producing college athletes. Hence, the reason guys often transfer.

EC Glass doesn't have an O-Line coach as good as Grove! Come on man. Did Reuben Brown come back to coach at Glass and Coach Woody is keeping it a secret? Now, if his goal is to just win games, then Glass is gonna be the better choice. I'm just speaking on what's going to make him the best O-lineman that he can be.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. as was stated in an earlier post, just because as coach has professional experience on his resume doesn’t make him a good coach. It would be like saying I want my kid to play for edmunds at dan river rather than play for Christmas at Amherst, because Edmonds has professional playing experience.

As much as this board loves good pissing matches It shouldn’t be That way with this topic. Leave it at that they are both good coaches that I’m sure any staff would love to have. It’s March, time will tell.

What would I know, as my level of education has been questioned by jfcav as well.

Ecg’s Oline coach will make him the best oline man he can be complete with the ability to zone block, pass block, and screen block. Wishbone blocking is arcaic. Although hard nosed and aggressive, it’s 2019. The game is going in the opposite direction.

Last edited:
I agree with a lot of what has been posted why should Grove's playing experience automatically make him a better coach? Just because someone has experiences does not mean that they can help high school kids improve any more than someone who does not have those experiences.

A lot of good points being made. In any case Grove is not going to Amherst(again, considered it but couldn’t commit to the commute) and word on the street is that Christmas is not going to run the wishbone at Amherst.

Reactions: lyhsports
A lot of good points being made. In any case Grove is not going to Amherst(again, considered it but couldn’t commit to the commute) and word on the street is that Christmas is not going to run the wishbone at Amherst.
Commute? It’s not that far. Christmas is commuting.

Why would he commute? He doesn’t work in the school and doesn’t need the money. Also has children, coaching football requires a tremendous amount of time. At least 20 hours a week in the offseason and 50 plus during season. Add another 6-8 hours for driving, don’t leave much time for family and yourself.

Reactions: VolNation85
Commute? It’s not that far. Christmas is commuting.

Grove currently commutes to JF in around 90 seconds.

Everyone knows Grove could have had the JF HC job if he wanted it. He didn't. I don't think at this point of his life he wants to spend 2 hours in a car 5-6 days a week through football season and off-season. His assistant coach salary wouldn't even cover his gas....

Reactions: VolNation85
Grove currently commutes to JF in around 90 seconds.

Everyone knows Grove could have had the JF HC job if he wanted it. He didn't. I don't think at this point of his life he wants to spend 2 hours in a car 5-6 days a week through football season and off-season. His assistant coach salary wouldn't even cover his gas....
Can understand that

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. as was stated in an earlier post, just because as coach has professional experience on his resume doesn’t make him a good coach. It would be like saying I want my kid to play for edmunds at dan river rather than play for Christmas at Amherst, because Edmonds has professional playing experience.

As much as this board loves good pissing matches It shouldn’t be That way with this topic. Leave it at that they are both good coaches that I’m sure any staff would love to have. It’s March, time will tell.

What would I know, as my level of education has been questioned by jfcav as well.

Ecg’s Oline coach will make him the best oline man he can be complete with the ability to zone block, pass block, and screen block. Wishbone blocking is arcaic. Although hard nosed and aggressive, it’s 2019. The game is going in the opposite direction.
The game is going in the opposite direction. Which is probably why the wishbone offense has throttled defenses. Note: I am not talking about the overall outcome of the games. Obviously JF has lost plenty of high scoring games because the defense was practically irrelevant. But your constant shots at the wishbone all the time just because YOU don’t like it get old. It is obviously effective.

Reactions: wikki
The game is going in the opposite direction. Which is probably why the wishbone offense has throttled defenses. Note: I am not talking about the overall outcome of the games. Obviously JF has lost plenty of high scoring games because the defense was practically irrelevant. But your constant shots at the wishbone all the time just because YOU don’t like it get old. It is obviously effective.

^same coach, same offense, inferior athletes (to those at JF) and a higher level of competition from top to bottom and this team went to the semi finals with slow twitch muscles and fat ankles. The difference here is that these inferior athletes were hard nosed defensively (running the same schemes as they have at JF). But they had a decent defense. That is the difference maker in what could have made JF great. The issue is not the wishbone.

Reactions: MrSir#5

^same coach, same offense, inferior athletes (to those at JF) and a higher level of competition from top to bottom and this team went to the semi finals with slow twitch muscles and fat ankles. The difference here is that these inferior athletes were hard nosed defensively (running the same schemes as they have at JF). But they had a decent defense. That is the difference maker in what could have made JF great. The issue is not the wishbone.

Keep losing the big one on a yearly basis, keep getting all your kids hurt, keep making excuses as to coulda, woulda, shoulda. I love the bone, and when it’s workin right it’s beautiful. I respect Xmas and think he is the bone guru. You probably coach a defensive position at JF. You also question my level of education? I have my masters. I get paid son. Are You going to Amherst with your boy or are you jumping on this new bandwagon at JF? Since you Bone the bone so much I suggest you head to Amherst so the saga can continue.

Keep losing the big one on a yearly basis, keep getting all your kids hurt, keep making excuses as to coulda, woulda, shoulda. I love the bone, and when it’s workin right it’s beautiful. I respect Xmas and think he is the bone guru. I think you are an uppidy shark biting, fish cake, douche bag who slangs insults to make yourself feel good. You probably coach a defensive position at JF. You also question my level of education? I have my masters. I get paid son. Are You going to Amherst with your boy or are you jumping on this new bandwagon at JF? Since you Bone the bone so much I suggest you head to Amherst so the saga can continue.
There’s no excuse anywhere in that post. It’s fact, our lack of defense and lack of hard-nosed mentality is what always loses the big one. It’s not a lack of offense or the wishbone not working is the only point of that post. I’m not a coach at JF or a coach anywhere for that matter. I’ll still support JF and of course I want to see Amherst do well too given the adversity those guys have been through and because I respect and support coach Christmas

There’s no excuse anywhere in that post. It’s fact, our lack of defense and lack of hard-nosed mentality is what always loses the big one. It’s not a lack of offense or the wishbone not working is the only point of that post. I’m not a coach at JF or a coach anywhere for that matter. I’ll still support JF and of course I want to see Amherst do well too given the adversity those guys have been through and because I respect and support coach Christmas
Again you always defend Christmas as if it was personal. Christmas is a good coach and the wishbone is a good offense. It is hard to defend and it puts up points. However, in hs you are limited in players and it strains your program. It also is an offense that packs the box and creates huge collisions. Jf has had way more than their share of injuries because of their offense. Christmas is a good coach but I personally put him in the bottom half of the Seminole.
Bradley
Woody
Rocco
Watts
Baker

Reactions: Renaissance man

Every offense Is good when the defense creates opportunities. Best teams don’t allow the opponent to score. Defense wins championships. “If they don’t score they can’t win” that’s a Salem quote. Focus on the D, not the bone.

Every offense Is good when the defense creates opportunities. Best teams don’t allow the opponent to score. Defense wins championships. “If they don’t score they can’t win” that’s a Salem quote. Focus on the D, not the bone.
That was literally the whole point of what I just said hahah I am in agreement with you. I’m simply stating that (some folks) consistently dog the wishbone on here because it’s not what THEY like. However, one can not argue the effectiveness it has had. The whole point of what I was saying is that the defense and mentality was not clicking and of course should be the focus. The wishbone was not the issue when losing the big games.

That was literally the whole point of what I just said hahah I am in agreement with you. I’m simply stating that (some folks) consistently dog the wishbone on here because it’s not what THEY like. However, one can not argue the effectiveness it has had. The whole point of what I was saying is that the defense and mentality was not clicking and of course should be the focus. The wishbone was not the issue when losing the big games.

Running the bone is conducive to also having a physical hard nosed aggressive D. Truth is, both strategies are unfortunately going out of style. So why has JF’s offense been a freight train? Yet their D is as soft as a knife through hot butter?...Not enough time alottmen to defensive practice? Priorities. “Big facts?” No, I shouldn’t say that, makes me sound unintelligible.

I thought Glass did a good job of limiting the wishbone, in their 2 games. Jf managed to score 34 and 28 points but most of those were garbage points. The first game jf scored 20 points in the 4th quarter. The second game it was much of the same, Glass got up big and relaxed a little on defense. But in both games when they needed a stop they bowed their necks.

Reactions: Renaissance man
JF’s defensive woes is a tough nut to crack for sure and I don’t think it can be boiled down to a singular cause. But one of the issues that I don’t see mentioned much is the mentality of the players themselves. I think Christmas did a great job of creating excitement and passion on the offensive side of the ball but from conversations I’ve had with staff it was way harder to do this on the defensive side of the ball. The same kids that lit it up on offense played extremely lackluster on defense - even to the point of being in position to make a play but just not getting it done. Maybe this new coach can fix that we’ll see. I maintain that fixing the JF culture of entitlement that starts with the parents and trickles down to the players is the elephant in the room for the new staff. Kids want to carry and catch the ball but don’t want to have to go back out and play defense with as much effort as they put forth on offense. If that’s not fixed somehow the Xs and Os will mean very little.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT