ADVERTISEMENT

Trouble at Hayfield

The superintendent said at last night's FCPS board meeting that some of the transfers had not yet been ruled eligible.
So who is playing games with the info? Is it media, FCPS or other? It doesn't make a lot of sense consistency wise to claim the investigations did not identify anything and to have players ineligible at present as well does it? At best, it seems like the title should have said nothing was identified so far.

So who is playing games with the info? Is it media, FCPS or other? It doesn't make a lot of sense consistency wise to claim the investigations did not identify anything and to have players ineligible at present as well does it? At best, it seems like the title should have said nothing was identified so far.
There are different aspects to the situation. Whether they are eligible to attend the school is an FCPS issue, whether they are eligible to play football there is a VHSL issue.

Anyway, Hayfield up 41-0 over West Springfield in the third quarter.

There are different aspects to the situation. Whether they are eligible to attend the school is an FCPS issue, whether they are eligible to play football there is a VHSL issue.

Anyway, Hayfield up 41-0 over West Springfield in the third quarter.
You are parsing words here and worse they do not make sense. No findings is no findings and whether you want to talk about eligibility to attend school or eligibility to participate under VHSL rules is a difference without a distinction.

I do not care one way or the other whether Hayfield wins or loses. My comments were about an investigation and at least the appearance of a clown show at the highest leadership level in one of Virginia's largest public school systems. This appears, on the surface at least, to be a classic case of the tail wagging the dog and I doubt other Fairfax leaders inside or outside the school system will continue to sit idly by and watch the system tainted by the actions of a few.

You are parsing words here and worse they do not make sense. No findings is no findings and whether you want to talk about eligibility to attend school or eligibility to participate under VHSL rules is a difference without a distinction.

I do not care one way or the other whether Hayfield wins or loses. My comments were about an investigation and at least the appearance of a clown show at the highest leadership level in one of Virginia's largest public school systems. This appears, on the surface at least, to be a classic case of the tail wagging the dog and I doubt other Fairfax leaders inside or outside the school system will continue to sit idly by and watch the system tainted by the actions of a few.
I was just giving my understanding from what was said at the school board meeting last night. The superintendent said that the residency threshold for being allowed to enroll in a school was different than the threshold for being eligible to play a sport, that the sports eligibility went through the VHSL, and that not all of the athletes had been cleared to play. If I've misunderstood...it won't be the last time.

1:34:50 here was the quote. There is some additional discussion for a few minutes before and after.

I was just giving my understanding from what was said at the school board meeting last night. The superintendent said that the residency threshold for being allowed to enroll in a school was different than the threshold for being eligible to play a sport, that the sports eligibility went through the VHSL, and that not all of the athletes had been cleared to play. If I've misunderstood...it won't be the last time.

1:34:50 here was the quote. There is some additional discussion for a few minutes before and after.
So the superintendent was parsing words and you just relayed them. I can accept that as it is consistent, or so it appears, with the way the investigation has been conducted up to this point. I don't think this is going away as easily as they had hoped. When you have another school board member calling for a second independent outside investigation and parents/citizens saying they lodged complaints and were never interviewed in the original process coupled with the still outstanding VHSL eligibility questions there would seem to still be a lot of smoke despite FCPS claiming there is no fire.

Washington Post, Washington posting about the James Madison/Stone Bridge game, "Stone Bridge’s high-powered defense — led by a number of strong recruits including Christian Evans, Chase Geter and Kedric Golston II..."

Hmmm...

When the WaPo does not think its a secret anymore in high school football... Saying it out loud at you Loudon County Public Schools...

Sounds like The Post was referencing their next-level potential. All 3 of those Stone Bridge defensive players listed are strong college recruits. Evans (senior) is going to VA Tech. Geter and Golston Jr (both Class of ‘26) have a slew of Power 4 offers. I don’t believe The Post was referring to high school recruiting.

Sounds like The Post was referencing their next-level potential. All 3 of those Stone Bridge defensive players listed are strong college recruits. Evans (senior) is going to VA Tech. Geter and Golston Jr (both Class of ‘26) have a slew of Power 4 offers. I don’t believe The Post was referring to high school recruiting.
OK… sloppy language on the WaPo’s part then, since their immediately prior article is about Hayfield and recruiting. I’ve had multiple people message me with, “…well look at that…” comments.

Anyways, tough game last night… big defensive effort on both sides throughout.

Last edited:
Reactions: SBOEDog
All good @SPL311U. Certainly wasn’t an attempt to be critical of your read on that. The fact remains that it truly is “open season” in high school football now with player movement from school to school. Not sure the VHSL can really get a handle on it. Hayfield is an extreme example obviously, but it is occurring everywhere you look. The high-school purist in me doesn’t like it one bit.

All good @SPL311U. Certainly wasn’t an attempt to be critical of your read on that. The fact remains that it truly is “open season” in high school football now with player movement from school to school. Not sure the VHSL can really get a handle on it. Hayfield is an extreme example obviously, but it is occurring everywhere you look. The high-school purist in me doesn’t like it one bit.
@SBOEDog — Completely agree with your last sentence.

Last edited:
Reactions: SBOEDog
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT