ADVERTISEMENT

Two solid finales in PWC this Friday

GurskyT

VaPreps All Region
Aug 11, 2005
Two rivalry match-ups are brewing this week in Prince William County with Patriot (8-1) traveling to play at Battlefield (8-1), while Hylton (8-1) takes a stroll up the road to Forest Park (7-2) in the Battle of Spriggs Road. Both rivalries are fresh - Patriot's program is still young, but already proved last year they could beat the big brother in Battlefield, which was a high scoring 42-35 game. Meanwhile the football program at Forest Park is on the competitive rise creating a little more energy and buzz in the football rivalry with Hylton.

The game to see between the two IMO is Battlefield / Patriot. I said in another post this is the Westfield Vs. Centreville of PWC. Stands should be packed on both sides and should be a great atmosphere. Both teams probably want nothing more than to beat the other for bragging rights. Plus whichever team wins grabs the momentum heading into a rugged 6A North bracket in the playoffs.

I'm not sure how this game is going to go. Battlefield has played much better defensively, but Patriot has such a complete offense with big play capability that has scored a lot of points on every team they played this season; like Patriot though, Battlefield is balanced and can throw the ball down field as well for big strikes. If they can run the ball and burn some clock keeping the Patriot offense of the field, I like their chances in this game. Battlefield is coming off a bye so they have had two weeks to prepare for this game, plus the game is in Haymarket. Battlefield 38 Patriot 35

As for Forest Park vs. Hylton, I think the ability of Forest Park being able to throw the ball makes this a great match-up on paper. They have one of the leading passers in the area and arguably the most productive receiving corps going up against a Hylton defense that has given up several big pass plays through the air. Hylton's defensive front has played strong this year though and I would expect them to put the pressure on the Forest Park QB. If Forest Park can get into a rhythm throwing the ball early this could end up being a shootout and closer than the game last season. Should be a good crowd here as well. Hylton 31 Forest Park 21

Not sure how many people from PWC are on here but if you have any thoughts... by all means.
glasses.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 11/4 11:53 PM by GurskyT

The question about Battlefield is, have they recovered and are healthy enough to run the ball against Patriot? We know they can pass the ball but is the offensive line and running back corp healthy enough to put up points to take Patriot down. The Bobcats lost their top two backs against Hylton on October 3rd and I know one of them is done for the season. Another question I have is, can Patriot stop Battlefield's offense? The Pioneers have given up a total of 244 point this season, 27.1 points per game. If Battlefield comes out hot like they did against Hylton and their defense can get a few stops, they could seal the win midwaythrough the fourth quarter. I don't see them keeping Patriot off the board, but Battlefield has always been known to have a tough defense that can play lights out with a lead. For Patriot they can run and pass the ball effectively, especially with Jake Caperella healthy and carrying the mail. They average 43 points per game and can make a game out of reach easily when Agnew and Matthews connect. I'm on the fence on this game, but I feel Patriot will squeeze by 35-24.

I have seen both play...Pressure is the answer = turnovers...You give either QB time and they will beat you...This game will be won where all football games are...Up front...

Patriot will have the better running game which will help their passing game big time. Patriot by two TDs...

This has all the makings for a classic match-up, Battlefield's controlled style verses Patriot's wild open attack.

Offense - Edge to Patriot, Patriot has proven they can score and score a lot. I believe they will have to rely on the passing game to be successful. Battlefield on the other hand, will work to establish the run game to control the clock; don't sleep on BF's ability to put point on the board.

Defense - Edge to Battlefield, other than the second half against Hylton they have played lights out. Always tough verses the run and have been playing the pass very well this year, lots of pressure on the front 7 to get Cody off his square. Patriot on the other hand has giving up a ton of points… can they handle the size of BF's O-line and not allow them to chew up the clock?

Special Teams - Edge to Battlefield, I think this is overlooked at times at this level. BF's kicker (Feehan) puts the ball in the end zone regularly during kickoffs and has range from 40 plus when it comes to FG's.

To me this one will come down to BF's defense vs Patriot's offense; I know BF doesn't want to get into a shoot-out. I see some big plays from both sides but ultimately IMO BF will control the ball and clock. Battlefield 31 Patriot 28

Originally posted by Footballjunkie2015:

Patriot on the other hand has giving up a ton of points… can they handle the size of BF's O-line and not allow them to chew up the clock?

Battlefield does have good size across their o-line, they should be able to control the line and find some running room against Patriot's defense.

While Patriot does have a couple of other receivers that Agnew can throw to, I think Matthews is a guy you have to put two defenders on in order to slow him down. Not sure how many teams have tried that this year but he is open more often than not.

Hylton beat FP 41-15
Battlefield beat Patriot 28-13

Upset of the night, G-F beating Woodbridge 35-21.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT