ADVERTISEMENT

Union @ Richlands

Union Fan, Richlands ran a single wing offense especially in short yardage and around the goal line when they had the bigger QB believe he was#12!!! Mance is a Giles guy, and didnt say they ran it against Union Alot either! And John Battle has run the Wing T also, thanks for reminding me. They ran a split back veer some too! Reed ran a single wing offense against Union almost the entire game a couple of years ago up at UVA Wise field! Don't know what game you were watching, I know they ran it the entire second half and they ran that offense about half the season I think.

I can't speak to what Richlands has run in any game outside of those against Union. I just know that those games didn't include the single wing.

And I was at the Union v Central game at UVA Wise in 2013. I was in a fold out chair on the hill above the visitor bleachers. Admittedly, I left early because of the score, but unless you can show me some game film to "help" me remember there was no single wing action then either.

And, I think, Advocate was referring to power running teams that run exclusive wing formations like Giles, Clarke, Stuarts Draft, and Wilson Memorial. Just because a team ran a handful of "wing like" plays does not make them a power running team.

Reactions: Ryan4VT
Nobody said they didnt run a spread! And that video is of one game and be it the last one of the year! And I know exactly what offense Richlands runs, Union runs the same passing plays!!!!! Where in the heck do you think Union got them from? Im saying that you lined up in a Single Wing look sometimes and ran the QB power out of it!!!!! What do you think big ole #8 in the backfield lined up right behind the lineman is from last year? Its a glorified blocking back/HB who can pull, kick out, fill,go out for a pass, etc. I'm just saying that Single Wing and Wing offenses are big influences on the Spread. Sorry Union fan I don't have access to the Wise Central game from couple years ago. Giles is what most people would say is a true Single Wing, Clarke and Stonebridge are different, as is Louisa!

http://www.heraldcourier.com/sports...cle_b15d9176-3b6a-54e6-b377-fad860ab4d3b.html
Here is VHS coach Paul Wheeler talking about what kinda offense he runs, Wing T and Union played them 2 times while he was coach!
Yep, I'll give you that one, but it wasn't a power run. They were all about getting their speed to the outside. Had Va High not been so small on the line those 2 years they could have definitely been more successful.

Don't you just love football? So much to debate and talk about! :)

https://tape.preps.com/h/va/wise/ce...england/2013-sophomore-highlights-/107793409/
Here are some clips of Wise Central running some single wing type plays, spinner, direct snap, etc.
And yes I know there are other offensive formations being run, but its a kids highlight tape and im not going thru and editing it lol

Single wing "type" plays.....maybe. Single wing power run formation.....I don't see it. Even the few clips against Union that had the H back behind the guard still had receivers split out. I think it's a stretch to call that a single wing.

Giles, on the other hand, yea, that's a single wing.

Thanks for the clip though. I love going back and watching those.

I am also from Richlands and have missed very few games since my playing days were over back in the mid 70's, and we do not and have not run any single wing offense for as long as I can remember and especially since Mance has been our coach. It is spread just about 100% of the time, maybe in a goal line situation or maybe in a short yardage situation we may go with a 2 back set for a power run, usually the power I, but not single wing.
Also Advocate, I haven't heard of any new RB coming in, not saying it hasn't happened but I just haven't heard about it, and I'm usually pretty well informed about what is happening with the program, but I have had a lot going on the last 2 weeks and have not kept up with the program like I usually do. So in this situation, I may not be as well informed as usual.

Reactions: Union_Fan
Union is young in the secondary this and doesn't have the explosive passing attack. But they do have a stable of RBs. Richlands will be successful through the air unless we get some serious pressure on their QB.

Might see a return to the ground and pound for the Bears this year. If this game is lopsided I don't see it in Union's favor. Just hoping everyone is healthy coming out.

Apparently MoPed30 has no clue what a single wing offense looks like.

I recommend he finds some videos of Giles High School. THAT is one-winging it.

As for Richlands and the single wing, I've watched them for over 40 years and have NEVER seen them run a single wing offense. NEVER.

Let me be the first to admit being wrong. GREAT comeback Richlands!!! I thought yall had Union easy.
Neither team is what they were last year, but they both produced another classic. 6 games in a row decided by 6 points or less. 3 by one point.
Union was MUCH improved from last week on defense. They had the opportunity to put this game away when up 21-7, but didn't. Give Richlands credit for never giving up and fighting until the end.

Absolutely awesome atmosphere!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT