ADVERTISEMENT

Updates on new Hires

Chancellor is currently interviewing candidates. My understanding is two are internal, one from another county school, and two from outside the county. Sounds like second interviews will be offered to the top 2 or 3 candidates after the first round of interviews.

With that hire I'd expect Bassett to be a state contender in the next 4-5 years. They got themselves a good one.

You might end up being right, but - in their entire history, Bassett has never been a state contender. The Bengal teams that won Region IV titles in '05 and '06 both got absolutely pummeled in the state semis. What is it about Coach Johnson (of whom I honestly know nothing) that has you expecting the Bengals to climb to never-before-attained heights? Thanks.

Reactions: VolNation85
You might end up being right, but - in their entire history, Bassett has never been a state contender. The Bengal teams that won Region IV titles in '05 and '06 both got absolutely pummeled in the state semis. What is it about Coach Johnson (of whom I honestly know nothing) that has you expecting the Bengals to climb to never-before-attained heights? Thanks.
In order to take a program to new heights then you have to bring in a coach in which the kids respond well to..A struggling program like this needs a breath of fresh air .. This is my guy to do it. He helped win 2 state championships at Magna Vista while he elavated the Laurel Park Middle School program (MV's feeder system) as head coach. He was a winner at Bassett as their QB as he won what 3 straight Piedmont District Championships. IMO I think Bassett got a steal and I think he'll build a contender at Bassett. IMO Bassett could become Henry County's top team over MV.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
The Bassett program isn't a Patrick County or Carroll County program.. They have talent and a feeder system at Fieldale Collinsville. I remember when MV was terrible (they had talent as well but needed a new coach) and then they got a young coach in Farvero and the rest is history. A dynasty in 3a. Watch out for Bassett in the next 4-5 years. Not saying that they will win a state championship but they will be competing with teams like Salem, MV, Northside, etc.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
When Coach Mills took over at Dinwiddie, the football program was abysmal. Dinwiddie didn't suddenly import a bunch of athletes. Nobody sprinkled the kids with magic dust. Coach Mills just had a vision for the program he wanted to establish. Coach Mills set the examble by never taking a day off, never being satisfied, never letting any other coach out work him, or out prepare him.

It was through this example, that he built a program that the kids bought into. A program that they wanted to be a part of.

The reward was not just winning a few football games, but giving the kids something to believe in, something worthwhile to be proud to be a part of.

As a result, these kids were taught a lot about all of the values that are essential to a happy and successful life.

This is what Coach Johnson should strive for. And not doubt, WILL strive for. So, regardless of what the win-loss record was, and will be, his success should be measured by the merits above, more so than games his team scored more points than the other team.

This seems to be more of a trend in hiring a head coach. Hiring a head middle school coach or youth league coach to be your head varsity coach is a big risk/reward deal. There is a lot more "administrative stuff" that comes along with being a varsity head football coach than at the lower levels. Gar-Field and Stonewall Jackson, two struggling 6A programs both went into the youth leagues to hire coaches that they hope will connect with the kids and get them out and playing. I know this guy coached at MV but if he was the head middle school coach, that likely took priority if it was at the same time which is how I read the article.
Hopefully these coaches can get their programs turned around. If they do, I think more schools that are struggling may go this route on new hires.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT