ADVERTISEMENT

Varina @ Maury

Interesting match up to teams with athletes all over the field and I like what I've seen from varina over the past few weeks even. Maury played a good game against Salem last night made the necessary stops on defense and playmakers made plays when needed. And kinda funny we see these schools again this time in Football basketball teams played a great state game back in the winter. But imma have to say Maury had one goal to get back to this spot advance and bring it to the 757 which they will.

But be glad seeing yall fellas make the trip down 64

Interesting match up to teams with athletes all over the field and I like what I've seen from varina over the past few weeks even. Maury played a good game against Salem last night made the necessary stops on defense and playmakers made plays when needed. And kinda funny we see these schools again this time in Football basketball teams played a great state game back in the winter. But imma have to say Maury had one goal to get back to this spot advance and bring it to the 757 which they will.

Is the game going to be Sat. afternoon? ...and where?

Reactions: CHUKNOW
Yeah Powhatan field doesn't have much seating. Is that where Maury plays regular season games?

Reactions: Agibbs757
Yeah if Maury & LT hosted a double-header at NSU or ODU, it would be awesome.

Varina is a VERY good football team. If Maury has enough firepower to go stride for stride then god bless them. If Maury is good enough to beat Varina we will crown you and root for you in the finals. Rather 757 get one than NOVA.
@Agibbs757 Is Maury just a big play machine or are they a well balanced offense?

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Varina is a VERY good football team. If Maury has enough firepower to go stride for stride then god bless them. If Maury is good enough to beat Varina we will crown you and root for you in the finals. Rather 757 get one than NOVA.
@Agibbs757 Is Maury just a big play machine or are they a well balanced offense?
Maury will hit you in all types of ways with the run and passes. You think you really cant double team any of the receivers because they are all D1 players. Running back is always a touch away from burning you. Then the defense in fast and quick. Like I say this team is 10x better than what people saw against springs last year.

Reactions: mbonape1
Well balanced offense; they can run the ball, they have a really good running back who was committed to V Tech and they have three division 1 receivers out wide! Their defense is also GREAT! My question is will their LB (defensive player of the year) be good to go this week? He went down in the game against Salem, not sure how severe it was....Either way their defense is great all around: Size, speed and discipline. Varina has been battle tested in their region, they have been looking good the past two weeks. I think this game will come down to QB play....both QBs are juniors who put up big numbers this year. I give Maury the edge simply because of their weapons at Reciever! Will be a close one though.

Maury- 38
Varina- 28

Reactions: Agibbs757
Well balanced offense; they can run the ball, they have a really good running back who was committed to V Tech and they have three division 1 receivers out wide! Their defense is also GREAT! My question is will their LB (defensive player of the year) be good to go this week? He went down in the game against Salem, not sure how severe it was....Either way their defense is great all around: Size, speed and discipline. Varina has been battle tested in their region, they have been looking good the past two weeks. I think this game will come down to QB play....both QBs are juniors who put up big numbers this year. I give Maury the edge simply because of their weapons at Reciever! Will be a close one though.

Maury- 38
Varina- 28
I’m guessing u haven’t seen Varina this season yet

I’m guessing u haven’t seen Varina this season yet
Yes I’ve seen them multiple times, QB is apart of the family, I just think Maury is the better team. Again, I think it will be a close game I just give Maury the edge

Don’t mean no harm, but you can’t say Maury’s D is “GREAT” until they actually play somebody good offensively. Salem is their best win and they struggled mightily with Woodside who was overly overrated this year (looked extremely bad when I saw them play Phoebus). Varina is a complete team and reminds me a lot of the Highland Springs team of 2018. I’ll just leave that there.

Don’t mean no harm, but you can’t say Maury’s D is “GREAT” until they actually play somebody good offensively. Salem is their best win and they struggled mightily with Woodside who was overly overrated this year (looked extremely bad when I saw them play Phoebus). Varina is a complete team and reminds me a lot of the Highland Springs team of 2018. I’ll just leave that there.
I agree with you on that! It will be their biggest test yet, which is why they are both in states! Can’t wait to see the game Saturday! Get there early

Yeah I’ll have to go see this game I can’t rely on rva sports production channel lol, but who ever wins this game. For sure will win it all , games at 12 so if ppl driving 2,3 hours away it’s probably good idea to leave 4 hours early but in my eyes this is the state championship game

After really looking at varina schedule outside of Manchester and HS who in that region have they played. I mean with all credit to players and coaches we all know on football it's hard to be a team twice especially when they play you close anyway. But let get down to this because at the end these kids can only play who is put in front of them a they have both down a great job of beating everyone who has come in front of them. So with varina my question is yes I've seen their offense and yes it can hit you with a bang and Maurys can strike you any which way. SO fellas the BIG question is who's defense will step up to the plate come Saturday. To that is where my problem with varina will be at because yes they are on a hot streak and they handled Manchester good yesterday but those two HS still give me caution because you gave up a lead in one and TBH could have gave up another one. So how lock down is this defense no matter the competition. Because with Maury no matter who they played( because let's be honest guys everyone outside of the HS schedule in the state you can point to subpar teams on it) they have never had lapses or point where you are questioning it. To people to say about the teams they played ok cool but look at some of the outstanding players they have held in check through the and I'm talking about guys who are 1300+ rushers. So in all the defense's will be the calling cards come this game and that's where the real mach up will play.

Varina played Manchester & Highland Springs 2x, PH Ashland (4B Region Champs), & Lake Taylor (4A Region Champs). I’d give their schedule an A-, where’s I’d give Maury’s a C+.

Reactions: RVA804 and Va434
Ok and common team is Lake taylor and herm and what did they both do to them. And please tell me about the rest of the teams they played. I wanna know about the quality of the team outside of the top dogs.

Outside of the two teams yall played and pretty much played neck and neck both time which we seen are not the juggernauts they where last yeah Maury and varina schedule look just about the same

I was looking forward to a good game against Lake Taylor. All the trash being talked about how they were going to beat Varina...Then, there could have been a running clock in the first quarter (if that was allowed, it isn’t). Final score against Lake Taylor was 56-7. Starters didn’t touch the field the second half.
As for Herm, final score was 56-13. We paved the way for an easy win for Maury bc of the beatdown we put on them that week. They were still shook up two weeks later when they played Deep Run.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Outside of the two teams yall played and pretty much played neck and neck both time which we seen are not the juggernauts they where last yeah Maury and varina schedule look just about the same
Maxpreps have the top 10 teams in region 5 rankings and strength of schedule. It has Maury schedule at 13.9 3rd lowest in the region and Varina at 24 2nd highest in the region behind HS.

Come on man we all know those power rankings measures are faulty........then according to VHSL which to me is the only one that counts look at Maurys power ranking I mean so if your region was so much better even with the two losses varina should have a higher power ranking I mean I dont even thank they would be the top seed in region 4A

Come on man we all know those power rankings measures are faulty........then according to VHSL which to me is the only one that counts look at Maurys power ranking I mean so if your region was so much better even with the two losses varina should have a higher power ranking I mean I dont even thank they would be the top seed in region 4A
Lmao we will see on Saturday champ

Yes Saturday we will all have to get back on this post and talk about the game and our opinions after the game. I also agree that this is the State championship, the winner will most likely win it all. If you plan on going to the game get there AT LEAST an hour early it is going to sell out early and parking is gonna be tight! Both teams are evenly matched in my eyes. the game will be worth the cost of admission!

Yes Saturday we will all have to get back on this post and talk about the game and our opinions after the game. I also agree that this is the State championship, the winner will most likely win it all. If you plan on going to the game get there AT LEAST an hour early it is going to sell out early and parking is gonna be tight! Both teams are evenly matched in my eyes. the game will be worth the cost of admission!
I would say two hours just because parking around there is bad luckily I live round the corner

Reactions: Chill44
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT