ADVERTISEMENT

Varina vs Hermitage Live Free Feed

I can tell you Salem would shutout Varina if they played. Their offensive line play is disorganized and slow footed. Salems lb's would shut down the running game and their db's would be able to cover the very fast Varina receivers, because the QB will not have time to throw. Varina's front seven on defense is fast and physical, but beatable. HSHS will have no problem with Varina either. I thought the Hermitage QB did a nice job of recognizing running lanes. I am salivating thinking about it.

I can tell you Salem would shutout Varina if they played. Their offensive line play is disorganized and slow footed. Salems lb's would shut down the running game and their db's would be able to cover the very fast Varina receivers, because the QB will not have time to throw. Varina's front seven on defense is fast and physical, but beatable. HSHS will have no problem with Varina either. I thought the Hermitage QB did a nice job of recognizing running lanes. I am salivating thinking about it.
I had similar thoughts watching the first half. I just can't see Varina putting up enough points to win against Phoebus, Dinwiddie, or Salem. I don't know enough about King George to make that same prediction against them. 100% Dalton would scorch Varina's defense and I can't see Varina trading scores enough to even keep it close. Things have become clearer in 4B these last few games. I think Dinwiddie returns to Lynchburg in December. However, I freely admit I could be wrong, especially with the 4A rep making things interesting. I plan on watching the Phoebus/Warhill game (if it's definitely going to be streamed) on Saturday. Although, my gut tells me the Generals roll to a shot at a repeat.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Varina is lucky that Herm coaching staff is a mess. I said it very early in the year the offense is broke. Defense is great but the 4B offenses will force Varina to have match a couple of scores and they have proven they can't do that.

Yeah, ugly but a win is a win. Same thing in the playoffs. Congrats to the Blue Devils. I don't see the Varina's defense giving up much and that's why they are still a contender. Even if they lose this weekend I think the Blue Devils have clinched the second seed. There are a few teams that are not good matchups for them.

I agree about the Hermitage coaching staff. They let Varina off the hook with horrid play calling. The Blue Devils offensive line play was a bit better in the second half, but they are very leaky. The Hermitage d line played well and Varina's running game is about a dangerous as a toothless hound. Going to have to keep a back in to block and air it out if the boys off Route 5 want to win the region. If the chips fall right and Dinwiddie beats Matoaca, Varina could play the Generals in round two. If Dinwiddie loses it could be in round 1. @RKE Fan thanks for the confidence, but Dalton will not be Varina's only concern. King George will not be challenged by Varina's offense and they know the Blue Devils defense well. It could be a decent game though. If the Foxes can establish a running game and protect their QB it's over.

Last edited:
Reactions: RKE Fan
Great point @CountryClubJoesSecretAlias. @BoKnowsSports knows Varina better than most, but I am not sure they were being vanilla tonight. I can't see why you would risk injury, lose the two seed and not having home field advantage in round two of the playoffs. Would seem quite arrogant to me.
I thought it was 75% of going through the motions because you’re overlooking to Saturday, 15% discounting Herm, and 10% bad execution/play calling (which is where I said vanilla came in). Varina will play better on Saturday, just glad they came out of there injury free.

Varina’s defense >>>> yours. Your offense >>>> Varina’s. Y’all may feast on that expensive concession food, but yall aren’t feasting anything on the field. It’ll be an ugly game like 2021.
I think it's going to be more like last year. 29-0. tailgate food Saturday! We're grilling hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken, and BBQ in back lot, hours before the game starts! Come on down and feast on some free food and stay for the fireworks on the field! I can assure you that HSHS 2023 is nothing like HSHS 2021! All of the early season injuries are all back starting this week! They will be 99% to 100% healthy and they are finding their rhythm at the right time of year.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoKnowsSports
I think it's going to be more like last year. 29-0. tailgate food Saturday! We're grilling hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken, and BBQ in back lot, hours before the game starts! Come on down had feast on some free food and stay for the fireworks on the field!
If HS scores 28 on Varina I’ll be extremely surprised. HS isn’t as strong on offense as they were last year and Varina’s a lot stronger on D. Foster Powell really was a huge difference maker in that blowout last year. Varina’s offense is ugly and painful to watch but it’s been like that (except for 2019).

You may have a point @BoKnowsSports. Every time Hermitage made a good play it was called back for holding. Legit or not it will drive the calmest fans crazy. @springer76 is a pretty chill old hippie, so he may not chirp too much. I went to the Chambers game in 2021 and thought the Springer fans were well behaved and knowledgeable. My only beef was the old school marm in the press box.

If HS scores 28 on Varina I’ll be extremely surprised. HS isn’t as strong on offense as they were last year and Varina’s a lot stronger on D. Foster Powell really was a huge difference maker in that blowout last year. Varina’s offense is ugly and painful to watch but it’s been like that (except for 2019).
I’m not sure when the last time you saw Highland Springs play, but Highland Springs has the best quarterback in the state. You know you have to account for all 4 wide receivers now that’s they’re all back and healthy, and a division one running back. The O-line is massive and has 8 games to gel. I can promise you,Highland Springs defense is not Glennallen or Hermitage, and will abuse that overweight, slow offensive line just like last year.

I watched a Hermitage move the ball against that defense only to stall due to poor play calling inside the 20. Highland Springs will do the same thing freedom did, except Highland Springs won’t give up 2 pick sixes!

Last edited:
HS has had close games with all of the good teams they’ve played this year. Idk where all of this they’re going to run away with anything is coming from. Outside of Manchester and Maury, they’ve played a very mediocre schedule. Varina and HS both lost to the best teams in the state in very competitive games. Enjoy the show on Saturday. Hope that both teams can win it all come December.

@BoKnowsSports, I agree with you about this game not being a blowout, but I only hope Varina has a shot if Dinwiddie doesn't. Great point about both teams losses as well. Both teams have won close games and sometimes they have won ugly, but as Al Davis said "just win baby! Good luck to both teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Having a great defense will keep Varina in the game, but I think not having a solid offense may catch up with them by the 2nd half. When a team is not as strong in one phase, it usually puts more pressure on the other 2 phases. That pressure can lead to fatigue and also to mistakes. I don't know who will win in this big rivalry game, but I think the odds would favor HS simply because they seem to be strong in all phases. That being said, turnovers and penalties will also be a factor that could affect the outcome. It could help Varina pull the upset, or it could turn a close game into a HS win by 2+ TD. That's why they play the games.

It's supposed to be pretty warm Sat (especially compared to a Fri night game) and that could be a major factor in fatigue and cramping.

Reactions: RKE Fan
Having a great defense will keep Varina in the game, but I think not having a solid offense may catch up with them by the 2nd half. When a team is not as strong in one phase, it usually puts more pressure on the other 2 phases. That pressure can lead to fatigue and also to mistakes. I don't know who will win in this big rivalry game, but I think the odds would favor HS simply because they seem to be strong in all phases. That being said, turnovers and penalties will also be a factor that could affect the outcome. It could help Varina pull the upset, or it could turn a close game into a HS win by 2+ TD. That's why they play the games.

It's supposed to be pretty warm Sat (especially compared to a Fri night game) and that could be a major factor in fatigue and cramping.
85° and sunny at kick off time. I really wish I could be there, but family comes first.

Are we really sure that game last night wasn’t indicative of who Varina really is? When they play a team who is at least a little below average - average they struggle. IR, GA & now Herm. I’m not saying they’re bad but they are not world beaters. If they play like they did last night Springs is dropping 40 on them easily. We will just have to see but tbh nothing I saw last night or in games against similar talent gives me confidence for Varina in this game

Reactions: VolNation85
I had similar thoughts watching the first half. I just can't see Varina putting up enough points to win against Phoebus, Dinwiddie, or Salem. I don't know enough about King George to make that same prediction against them. 100% Dalton would scorch Varina's defense and I can't see Varina trading scores enough to even keep it close. Things have become clearer in 4B these last few games. I think Dinwiddie returns to Lynchburg in December. However, I freely admit I could be wrong, especially with the 4A rep making things interesting. I plan on watching the Phoebus/Warhill game (if it's definitely going to be streamed) on Saturday. Although, my gut tells me the Generals roll to a shot at a repeat.
Phoebus plays Warwick Saturday. And I’ve kept a close eye on Dinwiddie this year what makes you think they roll to Lynchburg? They’re going to come to Darling and roll over Phoebus? Just curious why you think this?

Reactions: mbonape1
HS has had close games with all of the good teams they’ve played this year. Idk where all of this they’re going to run away with anything is coming from. Outside of Manchester and Maury, they’ve played a very mediocre schedule. Varina and HS both lost to the best teams in the state in very competitive games. Enjoy the show on Saturday. Hope that both teams can win it all come December.
Do you know why Highland Springs schedules quality teams? To play good games! Every team on the schedule with the exception of Henrico is going to be a playoff team. Do you see what Highland Springs does to average to below average teams! They do what great teams do… they leave no doubt! You may not think much of Miramar, but every loss Miramar has is to a top 300 nationally ranked team, and they are a playoff team IN FLORIDA! Varina is not a great team! They are a DECENT team with great athletes. The Varina/freedom game was not competitive. Fact is, freedom was trying to run the score up and made a few late mistakes. THEY LED 28-0 at one point. I have seen Varina more than once,and what we saw last night IS who they are. I saw them against Indian river, Glennallen, freedom, and Hermitage. That IS who they are. They have a quarterback that does not fit their system. As a matter of fact, the offense moved the ball better when he went out mid fourth quarter with the injury. I’m guessing you have not seen a Highland Springs play since the beginning of the season. If you saw them against Hermitage, then you see that they are not the same. THAT offense could’ve dropped 50+ on Hermitage. There’s no way you can say the same about the Varina offense. Varina got dominated in the trenches! The Highland Springs line has had time to gel,and they are nasty on BOTH sides of the ball!

Do you know why Highland Springs schedules quality teams? To play good games! Every team on the schedule with the exception of Henrico is going to be a playoff team. Do you see what Highland Springs does to average to below average teams! They do what great teams do… they leave no doubt! You may not think much of Miramar, but every loss Miramar has is to a top 300 nationally ranked team, and they are a playoff team IN FLORIDA! Varina is not a great team! They are a DECENT team with great athletes. The Varina/freedom game was not competitive. Fact is, freedom was trying to run the score up and made a few late mistakes. THEY LED 28-0 at one point. I have seen Varina more than once,and what we saw last night IS who they are. I saw them against Indian river, Glennallen, freedom, and Hermitage. That IS who they are. They have a quarterback that does not fit their system. As a matter of fact, the offense moved the ball better when he went out mid fourth quarter with the injury. I’m guessing you have not seen a Highland Springs play since the beginning of the season. If you saw them against Hermitage, then you see that they are not the same. THAT offense could’ve dropped 50+ on Hermitage. There’s no way you can say the same about the Varina offense. Varina got dominated in the trenches! The Highland Springs line has had time to gel,and they are nasty on BOTH sides of the ball!
Bro the HS schedule was trash outside of Maury and Manchester. We discussed all this last night lol.. talk to me on Saturday.

Bro the HS schedule was trash outside of Maury and Manchester.
Yes, because Varina really manhandled Glennallen. That’s the best team they played all year other than freedom. Quite honestly, there is not a single team in Richmond other than Highland Springs, that I would’ve went to Florida and won. NONE!

Yes, because Varina really manhandled Glennallen. That’s the best team they played all year other than freedom. Quite honestly, there is not a single team in Richmond other than Highland Springs, that I would’ve went to Florida and won. NONE!

Reactions: WP02alum
It is going to be a competitive game simply for the rivalry factor. Regarding Varina, I have hung on to a thread of hope that they just have to pull it together offensively and what they need is there. However, we are getting late in the season. I agree theoretically they do have the pieces there but I can't prognosticate off of theories. At some point, I just have to look at the output and the offense just isn't there to beat a team like Springs. I think they are definitely in play for class 4 but I don't think they are a top 5 team in the state which is what you have to be to have a chance to beat Springs. I think Varina, Dinwiddie, and Phoebus will be interesting for the eastern part of the state. We can throw King George and Warhill in there as well. Excited to see Phoebus in action this weekend vs their PD rival Warrick. If Phoebus wins convincingly it will be a big statement before the playoffs start. Also, I think we all may be guilty of over-exaggerating the overall strength of class 4 this year compared to years past. I think it is actually down this year statewide.

Great take@mbonape1. I hate to admit it, but with Salem's QB back healthy I am leaning towards the Spartans winning it all. They have a defense to match the teams mentioned above and their running game is dangerous too. The boys in a and b better not take them for granted. A Phoebus vs. Salem matchup could be just like the 2015 final.

Last edited:
Phoebus plays Warwick Saturday. And I’ve kept a close eye on Dinwiddie this year what makes you think they roll to Lynchburg? They’re going to come to Darling and roll over Phoebus? Just curious why you think this?
Like I said in my post, I absolutely could be incorrect. My "gut" is definitely not infallible and of course, has been wrong many times before. I'm not entirely up to speed on teams from region A, which is why I'm so interested in watching the two best come Saturday. I'll get a much better gauge for how they stack up against a Varina, Dinwiddie, or Salem (probably should throw Tuscarora in there as well). I've got mad respect for Phoebus and their program. Anything is possible with a squad like they have this year. From the highlights I've been able to watch, they certainly have one of the best defenses in the state regardless of division. Offensively, they are good and put up points, but correct me if I'm wrong, wouldn't rank in the top tier of explosive O's they've had in years past. When I look at Dinwiddie and who they've played, they put more points on the board against Maury and Thomas Dale than any other team has up to this point in the season. Both of those teams also have high caliber defenses. I don't really count Glenville because it was out of state and a week before most other teams were playing. Even so, Dinwiddie still moved the ball and scored a couple of times. From what I've read from @BleedingNavy, the running game has taken off recently with several backs putting up impressive numbers. Add in an X factor with a player like Dalton, who is incredible at finding a lane and making a play when things break down, I just think they have the edge to make it back to Lynchburg in December. However, I wouldn't be shocked if it was Phoebus instead. Either team would present plenty of issues for whoever comes out of C and D.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT