21. Liberty Christian

22. Courtland

23. Woodgrove

24. Sherando

25. Dominion

Honorable Mention: Pulaski, King's Fork

Last edited:
Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Not sure I'd have Lake Taylor that low with 3 D-1 prospects returning in Joe Bryant, Jalen Jordan and Dereon Seabron. Would likely go with them or Monacan at #1, probably put Loudoun Valley or GW-Danville in the #3 spot.

Jamestown belongs somewhere in the Top 25, maybe Top 10.

Louisa is a sleeper and perhaps too low at #20. Malachi Poindexter is probably the best shooter in the 4A level that nobody knows or talks much about.

Hanover at #10 is too high in my opinion, given that their two best players from a season ago are no longer there. Jason Wade transferred out in the off-season to Trinity Episcopal, and that's a big loss.

Also think William Byrd is too low at #16 - Alex Fitch is a name to watch out for there. Although, replacing Damon Childress won't be easy since he made about 100 3's last season.

These are the rankings right at the end of last season, before anybody transferred, so they should look different in a few weeks when the new ones come out. I agree with you on Poindexter, super underrated, and really young. I'm sure Jamestown will crack the top 15 in the next rankings too.

Not sure I'd have Lake Taylor that low with 3 D-1 prospects returning in Joe Bryant, Jalen Jordan and Dereon Seabron. Would likely go with them or Monacan at #1, probably put Loudoun Valley or GW-Danville in the #3 spot.

Jamestown belongs somewhere in the Top 25, maybe Top 10.

Louisa is a sleeper and perhaps too low at #20. Malachi Poindexter is probably the best shooter in the 4A level that nobody knows or talks much about.

Hanover at #10 is too high in my opinion, given that their two best players from a season ago are no longer there. Jason Wade transferred out in the off-season to Trinity Episcopal, and that's a big loss.

Also think William Byrd is too low at #16 - Alex Fitch is a name to watch out for there. Although, replacing Damon Childress won't be easy since he made about 100 3's last season.

I do not know if I would put Monacan over GW-Danville or Loundon Valley. G.W. will be returning all their key contributors from last year. A healthy Caymen Wilson, Patrick Robinson, Camryn Lewis and Armardius Jones is a really seasoned bunch who have been to three straight final fours in 4A. Makes for an interesting year in the 4A bracket because Loundon Valley did not lose a lot talent and went undefeated in the regular season last year.

I do not know if I would put Monacan over GW-Danville or Loundon Valley. G.W. will be returning all their key contributors from last year. A healthy Caymen Wilson, Patrick Robinson, Camryn Lewis and Armardius Jones is a really seasoned bunch who have been to three straight final fours in 4A. Makes for an interesting year in the 4A bracket because Loundon Valley did not lose a lot talent and went undefeated in the regular season last year.

Certainly can see your argument and GW-Danville was in position to beat Monacan in last year's State Final Four game. Would not be surprised if the two met again to see the Eagles come out on top and they are in the conversation of teams I could see winning the 4A title. They along with Monacan, Lake Taylor, Loudoun Valley come to mind.

Monacan does have three starters back - Parham, Washington and McFail. Depending on how they replace the two that graduated - Darian Peterson and Nick Parks (CNU) - and what kind of depth they have could tell a lot. In some ways, they might be better on paper than at this time a season ago. Granted, they got hot at the right time a year ago as well and did go into the State Tournament as the #4 seed, so it's not your typical defending State Champ with key components back from that regard.

Someone off the grid could surprise and be this year's Monacan that we're not talking much about and gets there, too.

Eastern View should field another competitive team (beat Monacan last year). AAU team was very successful during the summer....although this was a combo of EV/Culp players. The injury to Orange on the football team will hurt the b-ball team depth.

Eastern View should field another competitive team (beat Monacan last year). AAU team was very successful during the summer....although this was a combo of EV/Culp players. The injury to Orange on the football team will hurt the b-ball team depth.
Agree with you - Thornhill did a good job in year one at the helm. Even though they graduated Musah Sackor, they have some solid pieces in place, headlined by Anias Saunders. Some D-1's have been keeping a close eye on him. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see them back in the State Tournament.

Reactions: OCBoy
I'm hearing that Camryn Lewis is back at GW Danville. He was their 6th man last year and transferred to Hargrave this summer. If this is true that he's back, I'd have GW in my top 2, IMO. This is probably the highest expectations a team from GW has had since the 2007 team. Just saw on the 2a board that GW picked up Rodney Womble from Dan River, who was arguably their best player. GW should be very good and deep. LV is going to be scary good also. They return just about every contributor.

Last edited:
I saw Jordan Miller for Loudoun Valley play in a Fall League at Millbrook.
He has taken his game to another level. D1 prospect for sure..
Nick Ball, their PG, has added strength and athleticism to his game.

Look out for Millbrook in a couple of years. They are young but have some pieces.

Monacan is going to be pretty good. They lost a couple of horses from last years team but still have plenty. Also there JV team only lost one game last year so there is plenty of talent there moving up to varsity. I think GW has all of its starters returning so I am sure they will be right there again. LT is basically good at everything these days!

I think Handley is going to be really good this year the only thing they lack is senior leadership. The top seven players will be juniors and sophomores but they have a talented group.

KIngs Fork not in the top 25? A regional team from a year ago that returns four starters. A team that has made regional tournament 9 of the last ten years. It is kinda of hard for me to understand why they are so low?

Also by they way Lakeland is in 3A not 4A

Jtown doesn't have any D-1 basketball talent that I know of but those boys can all shoot the heck out of it. They would be in my top 8.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT