ADVERTISEMENT

VHSL Heat Guidelines

Ampipe_High

VaPreps Rookie
Jul 27, 2020
So I figured I would post this on the 4A board because it typically seems to be the most active. With this latest heat wave, it got me to thinking about schools, athletic trainers, coaches, AD's and if they follow the protocols or not. VHSL guidelines say that if the heat index is 95-104 NO equipment can be worn during outside practices and if over 105, there cannot be any outside practices. As I am typing I am also searching weather.com for current heat indexes throughout Virginia and cannot find many under 95.

So my question is, does your school abide by the VHSL guidelines and require athletes to either stay indoors, if that is an option, or practice without any equipment? I have several friends who are coaches and it seems to vary by school. Some have not been permitted to practice with even helmets this week, where as others have told me that they have important games coming up and they need to get the work in and are practicing with helmets and shoulder pads. Another question is, are schools that follow the guidelines then at a disadvantage if their opponent is getting in full practices, while they do walk throughs in a gym?

Just something that dawned on me as I sit in my air conditioned house, lol

I have no knowledge of anyone violating this guidance, but if they are (coaches or administrators looking the other way) then they need to be sanctioned, immediately. And I cannot imagine a trainer turning a blind eye either. Heat of this magnitude is life threatening. The only positive side to this current heat wave is that the humidity has been reasonable.

Most school divisions have their own (sometimes stricter) standards. Only bad coaches with bad administrative oversight would be out when not permitted.

I'd give a head whistle a margin of error once in this situation and after that, cya.

Health and safety of the kids should be of utmost priority. They're not always smart enough to know when enough is enough for their bodies, they think they're indestructible at that age. Some jackass PE teacher just killed a 12 year old kid because they didn't have their gym uniform, forcing them to run in triple digit heat. Stuff is no joke out there.

So I figured I would post this on the 4A board because it typically seems to be the most active. With this latest heat wave, it got me to thinking about schools, athletic trainers, coaches, AD's and if they follow the protocols or not. VHSL guidelines say that if the heat index is 95-104 NO equipment can be worn during outside practices and if over 105, there cannot be any outside practices. As I am typing I am also searching weather.com for current heat indexes throughout Virginia and cannot find many under 95.

So my question is, does your school abide by the VHSL guidelines and require athletes to either stay indoors, if that is an option, or practice without any equipment? I have several friends who are coaches and it seems to vary by school. Some have not been permitted to practice with even helmets this week, where as others have told me that they have important games coming up and they need to get the work in and are practicing with helmets and shoulder pads. Another question is, are schools that follow the guidelines then at a disadvantage if their opponent is getting in full practices, while they do walk throughs in a gym?

I'm still doing two a days. Heat or no heat. I did squats, wind sprints and 24 miles today. Get it in.

I believe at Dinwiddie, the call about when it’s too hot is made by the full time Athletic Trainer. But it must be pointed out that the Athletic Trainer is a Certified Professional provided by a large Orthopedic Association, (Colonial Orthopedics), and has final say on when and when not, the temperature/heat index will permit outdoor practice. I don’t doubt that the trainers decision has conflicted with what the coaches wanted from time to time, but I also know that Coach Mills and his staff would never put the kids health at risk.

Ken Harris, I hear you. When I played there were basically no rules. They even refused to let us drink water during practice. Nobody knew or even cared about the physiology of football and the affects on the body. It was all about making you tough. Think about the way you were treated when you got your “bell rung”. The coach would grab you by the grill and say something like “shake it off and get your candy ass back on the field!” I think we all would agree that even though society has probably over-reacted in some situations today, we have to be, (and are), a lot smarter about the kid’s safety.

From the VHSL website:

Activities, including practices and competitions, should be modified when environmental conditions are extreme. The Wet Bulb Globe Temperature (WBGT) is the recommended method for assessing environmental conditions and should be used to determine the nature of any modifications.2 The WBGT takes into account ambient air temperature, relative humidity, and radiant heating from the sun and is utilized extensively in athletics and the US military to modify activity when conditions warrant.2 While WBGT is preferred, Heat Index can be utilized should WBGT be unavailable.3 Wet Bulb Globe Temperature (WBT) recommendations are also include as this assessment method may be more familiar to member schools. The VHSL Heat Guidelines provides participation recommendations based on three assessment mechanisms: WBGT, WBT and Heat Index. While the specific mechanism utilized at the local school level will be determined by local policy and resources, the VHSL SMAC strongly encourages schools to utilize WBGT.

Virginia should do it like Florida does it. Florida takes a mandatory water break at the six minute mark in every quarter. They play no matter what the temperature under those guidelines.

I believe at Dinwiddie, the call about when it’s too hot is made by the full time Athletic Trainer. But it must be pointed out that the Athletic Trainer is a Certified Professional provided by a large Orthopedic Association, (Colonial Orthopedics), and has final say on when and when not, the temperature/heat index will permit outdoor practice. I don’t doubt that the trainers decision has conflicted with what the coaches wanted from time to time, but I also know that Coach Mills and his staff would never put the kids health at risk.

Ken Harris, I hear you. When I played there were basically no rules. They even refused to let us drink water during practice. Nobody knew or even cared about the physiology of football and the affects on the body. It was all about making you tough. Think about the way you were treated when you got your “bell rung”. The coach would grab you by the grill and say something like “shake it off and get your candy ass back on the field!” I think we all would agree that even though society has probably over-reacted in some situations today, we have to be, (and are), a lot smarter about the kid’s safety.
Put that in all caps brother! If we even looked at the water we were runnings hills or more wind sprints. I got knocked completely out by Hotshot Williams after hitting the back of my head on the Phoebus field. The treatment? Nothing. But seriously, there is always room for improvement with it comes to heat stress and head injuries. Hopefully the responsible parties pay attention.

Let local communities decide what is best for there kids. No state or federal legislation is needed. But I am a small government guy...

Virginia should do it like Florida does it. Florida takes a mandatory water break at the six minute mark in every quarter. They play no matter what the temperature under those guidelines.
Good idea but fla kids are also acclimated to those high temperature. Not necessarily a fair comparison.

Reactions: edwinanderson2nd
Good idea but fla kids are also acclimated to those high temperature. Not necessarily a fair comparison.
It’s more about the mandatory water breaks at the six minute mark of every quarter. Our kids are used to our climate as well, but now you get a water break at the six minute mark of every quarter.

I grew up and played down there. You can’t have heat index rules. If they did the season would start in November.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT