ADVERTISEMENT

VHSL Official Alignment/Classification thru 2019

Chilwar25

VaPreps Varsity
Aug 20, 2010
The VHSL has on their website site a listing of all VHSL schools with their enrollment
Figures (ADM) with revision as of 8-14-16.
Just to clarify the matter of which division Riverheads should be in, Riverheads is listed
As having 474 students, which makes them A1 classification.

Just for what it is worth, Fort Chiswell is listed as having 501 students, and Radford with
490 students, making those two schools moving to classification A2, next year, with the
Cap of A1 being 475 students.

All this information is on the VHSL website site; VHSL. com

Sorry the site is VHSL.org, Thanks nndman!
This is FYI

Last edited:
Reactions: naildriver91
Riverhead is trying to steal a few 1A championships really 474 students and the cap is 475 they need to do a recount. What they couldn't cut on the 2A level you got 1A LEVEL TEAMS WITH BARELY ENOUGH PEOPLE TO GO HEAD TO HEAD IN PRATICE AND THEY WONDER WHY THEY ARE DOMINANTING THE SMALLER SCHOOLS WHEN YOU GOT MORE PEOPLE TO CHOOSE FROM YOUIR ARE BOUND TO HAVE MORE ATHLETES

Someone has to be the largest school in 1A. So it's Riverheads. They more than held their own in 2A as one of the smallest schools. They'll probably go back to 2A next year and then some other school will be criticized for being the largest 1A school. Obviously I have no ties to them but I respect their program and what they have done throughout the years and enjoy having them in 1A for the competition and quality program they bring as well as their great fan base.

Windsor has 472 students and are winless on the year. Maybe it's just the program itself and not the number of students in a school. Just my two cents for what it's worth.
Windsor is probably over the limit too but they cant win in 1A they definitely aren't trying to go up o 2A

Anybody got any cheese? What a bunch of whiners. Maybe you and oldballcoach can hook up so you get the scoop on how we beat the system. I don't like the alignment either but what is the difference in number of students that is allowable? I applaud Hurely and a number of other schools that compete with much smaller enrollments but the enrollment difference between the smallest 1A and the largest is what 275? What is the enrollment difference between the smallest 2A and the largest, 250? I agree that the system is broke but it is obvious that the VHSL is not going to change but so much.

I say we put Woodlayer and Oldballcoach in a basket of Deplorables !

475 is to high for 1A. Far to big of a difference between the schools with 180-200 students. 1A should be for schools below 400 kids. I personally think in addition to the # cutoff, 1a should have a roster max of 26 kids.

"475 is to high for 1A. Far to big of a difference between the schools with 180-200 students. 1A should be for schools below 400 kids. I personally think in addition to the # cutoff, 1a should have a roster max of 26 kids."

So with that thinking a school of 400 kids would then be 2A and would have to play against schools having almost 800 students (Goochland is the largest with 787). So the lowest 2A would then have the potential to play a school with nearly 400 more students then they have.

The only way to fix it would be to go to more classifications and break it down even further.

Riverhead is trying to steal a few 1A championships really 474 students and the cap is 475 they need to do a recount. What they couldn't cut on the 2A level you got 1A LEVEL TEAMS WITH BARELY ENOUGH PEOPLE TO GO HEAD TO HEAD IN PRATICE AND THEY WONDER WHY THEY ARE DOMINANTING THE SMALLER SCHOOLS WHEN YOU GOT MORE PEOPLE TO CHOOSE FROM YOUIR ARE BOUND TO HAVE MORE ATHLETES

2x4, so now you have to cut players that come out because it's not fair to have 36-40 year in and year out? Wow, now I understand how this country is getting more and more screwed up everyday. Can we all just get a participation trophy so everybody feels positive about their experience. Listen guys, you play who is in front of you and as I stated, I was pretty sure we would be moving back up. That said, we play 3-1A schools currently with 6-2A and 1-3A making up the balance of the teams we play. Want to know what the regular season record is since 2010? 63-3, it's not always a championship as we were unable to win one in 2A during our stint of 4 years playing. We went 7-4 with one semi-final appearance. Would we win in 2A, maybe not but we showed up over that time frame. It is beyond me how the masses argue over this year n and out. How about we go back to 4 divisions and have the lowest classification have a 600 student cut off? Oh that's right it wouldn't be fair to the HS with 200-250. At some point you are playing against a team with a significant enrollment advantage. Unless we create enough divisions where there is only 100 or so difference in enrollment it is asinine to think it will ever be a completely level field, and limiting players is, with all due respect, the most ridiculous thing I have read on this.

Well wood layer I guess you are correct lol , RiverHeads can't cut it in 2a . Just look at the 2 a and 3 a schools we have played over the past several years and check the scores. The classification has nothing to do with sports , it's all about the number of kids . So contact the people who set the numbers if u feel 475 is to big for a 1a school . When they were in 2a they were the smallest 2a in the state . Biggest or smallest it is what it is by the numbers . Not much to do about it but deal with it .

The only way to fix it would be to go to more classifications and break it down even further.

No freaking way. Six is too many. It's the reason we have these God awful mixed class districts. Four would have been ideal. Colonial Beach and JI Burton prove year in and year out they can play with schools with around 450 students. 2A teams like Giles and Glenvar can compete with teams in the 900s like Northside, Poquoson, and Spotswood.

Good post Redpridenation. You covered all the bases very well. I too get annoyed that this same argument crops up at least once a season, and sometimes more. I get further annoyed when Riverheads is accused of manipulating its enrollment figures, as if these things are not carefully monitored and documented.

So RHS has 474 and the cutoff is 475, huh? So if a set of twins moved to Greenville and enrolled, I guess you people would expect the administration to IMMEDIATELY call VHSL and say "Oops, gotta put us in 2-A." Then if Mr. Smith got a job out of town the next day and moved his three kids out of the school (that would put us back down to 473 for you "math-challenged" types), I guess they would be expected to call again and say "Ignore yesterday's message, we are 1-A again today."

I hope my sarcasm is coming through but the point to make is that all you can do is provide the VHSL with your enrollment figure as of the day they ask for them, and from that point on, all decisions are up to them.

I wonder if the same argument occurs in the larger classifications, where a 1,200 student school might be forced to compete with some of those mega-schools in Tidewater or NOVA that have 3,000 or more. It's the same difference.

Bottom line is if Riverheads was not a football powerhouse this thread would not even be on the board ! People don,t like a team that wins most of the time !

Doesn't matter what they set the number at . If that school has any success in a sport somebody will complain . I don't remember back in the 90s when RHS was everybody's punching bag in football hearing anybody dispute what classification they should be . Lol

I dont give a damn about riverheads or their program. My thoughts are what they are and I dont care if anyone likes them. Obviously if you lowered the 1a number you would have to adjust the others. To me, 1a should be reserved for schools that have small enrollments and also struggle with numbers every year. I dont think its fair for schools in 1a who consistently field 40-50 players to compete with teams who struggle to put 20 kids on the roster.

Virginia has fewer A1 schools just about each year, just about each year via consolidation.
Schools ADM, or average daily membership, has declined over the years, and will continue
To do so, especially in SWVA. That means less tax dollars from Richmond, and less money
For our schools that still has to keep running, but with less money.

To make matters worse, the Counties do not have the money to make up the difference
The State cut, because their ( the county ) tax dollars also got smaller in a lot of counties.
The result is usually layoff of teachers, and cut backs of various programs in the
System. A tax increase on real estate usually occurs, if all else fails.

My point is that hard times are here for SWVA. Folks without Jobs, tax revenue down, schools
With higher expenses, and less students in schools. Houston we have a problem!

When faced with problems of this type, football classification seems like a non issue
To people faced with trying to feed the family, clothe them, pay the bills, and stay employed.
It puts things in proper perspective, My Friends

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Good post Redpridenation. You covered all the bases very well. I too get annoyed that this same argument crops up at least once a season, and sometimes more. I get further annoyed when Riverheads is accused of manipulating its enrollment figures, as if these things are not carefully monitored and documented.

So RHS has 474 and the cutoff is 475, huh? So if a set of twins moved to Greenville and enrolled, I guess you people would expect the administration to IMMEDIATELY call VHSL and say "Oops, gotta put us in 2-A." Then if Mr. Smith got a job out of town the next day and moved his three kids out of the school (that would put us back down to 473 for you "math-challenged" types), I guess they would be expected to call again and say "Ignore yesterday's message, we are 1-A again today."

I hope my sarcasm is coming through but the point to make is that all you can do is provide the VHSL with your enrollment figure as of the day they ask for them, and from that point on, all decisions are up to them.

I wonder if the same argument occurs in the larger classifications, where a 1,200 student school might be forced to compete with some of those mega-schools in Tidewater or NOVA that have 3,000 or more. It's the same difference.

I actually hear this argument come up every time I propose my "perfect" 4A system LOL!!

Regardless, you know what my stance has been on Riverheads enrollment in the past..but it's staying in the past. If you guys win it all then congratulations! If someone else wins it, thats fine as well. The current system blows the old one away by far and thats about all I can ask for.

I do think the cutoff for 1A should be 400 on the dot. But it is what it is.

For what it's worth.. Woodlayer had not said a word about Riverheads until XCross started agging him on for no reason. He tried the same crap with me the other day by saying PM was scared to play Riverheads, which I find completely ridiculous considering the Blues dressed out against the Gladiators, year after year, during their absolute worst stint of football in their history.

Last edited:
Good thread guys. Threads like this keep everybody thinking. That's a good thing. Remember, "if you like the way things are, they will never change"!

Mmqp for what it's worth look back to the top . Woodlayer brought up RiverHeads first talkin bout them stealing a few 1A champs . Just sayin no matter what school or the number is there will always be a school on the bubble . The number can b argued till the end of time , but at the end of the day it is what it is . I'm sure most schools would rather move up in classification anyway because of the funding they receive .

Reactions: Xcross
Mmqp for what it's worth look back to the top . Woodlayer brought up RiverHeads first talkin bout them stealing a few 1A champs . Just sayin no matter what school or the number is there will always be a school on the bubble . The number can b argued till the end of time , but at the end of the day it is what it is . I'm sure most schools would rather move up in classification anyway because of the funding they receive .

It did not start in this thread, Bud...

"rather move up in classification because of the funding they receive"? I don't understand that one. Can you explain, please?

More kids more $ goes to the schools from what I've heard . I could b way off on that thought . Just what Iv heard in the past

I would like to know if I'm correct or way off on the state funding for higher classifications of schools if anybody actually knows . Just goin by what I had heard .

I was just goin by the times they posted on this thread mmqp . My bad

No worries. Best of luck to Riverheads this season. Like I say, for me it's just nice seeing my Blues be competitive again. The last few weeks have really made me proud of them. God knows my friends and I have seen them at their worst. It's nice to be relevant again haha.

Good to see DinwiddieProud on the A board. The man always has excellent insight
To scholastic issues, and a very avid fan of Dinwiddie football. Coach Mills has
Those young men rolling again this year in Dinwiddie ! Good to hear from DWP !

Good to see DinwiddieProud on the A board. The man always has excellent insight
To scholastic issues, and a very avid fan of Dinwiddie football. Coach Mills has
Those young men rolling again this year in Dinwiddie ! Good to hear from DWP !
Thanks for the kind words, as undeserved as they are.
And thanks for sending Coach Mills our way. We know how fortunate we are to have a coach and a man like him in our community.

Reactions: Chilwar25
I know it doesn't give you more kids , just wondering about the funding , is it by kid or certain amount by classification , just wondering .

by ADM - avg. daily membership. Done by the state every Fall & Spring (one to get an est. for the budget, the other to actually use).
That number that HAS to be true or a school system will get in trouble for defrauding the Govt. if it's higher, and they lose out on the $$$ they're entitled too (and need) if it's lower.
That's why the VHSL uses it for classes - no fudging (well, some fudging - acadamies, the "trouble" kids in a group home, etc.)

Feel free to send Mills back to Rockbridge any time you want. They sure do need him in a bad way.

Ok, let me think about it a minute.............., ahh, NO!

FYI, my daughter and her husband accepted jobs at the hospital in Galax, and have a contract on a house. So, if they ever grace me with a grandson, I may have to try to lure him to Galax. But, I guess that isn't really necessary, considering their recent success.

Last edited:
Really wish it could have worked out for him there. Parry McCluer and Rockbridge are rivals but other then that one game a year I want them to do well. He put them in the playoffs twice in 5 years. He is definitely a great coach and I know those kids loved playing for him but I don't blame him for going were the money was. A mans got to eat.

DinwiddieProud, I see that Dinwiddie is unbeaten again this year, and that Ole Chilhowie
Guy, Coach Billy Mills, has them on a roll. You got to put Coach Mills in that class with
Coach Dixon from Galax. Both are excellent individuals and superior Coaches, and both
Have won State Championships at their schools. I am sure both communities are proud
Of their Coaches and you could not pry them away from their communities in any way.
I would not be surprised to see more trophies soon at their schools.
Dinwiddie is ranked #1 in 4A at 7-0.....not bad!

Last edited:
Thanks. But we all know that the next game is all that matters.

Coach Mills' youngest son graduates in a couple of years. I hope that does not get him to thinking about moving on. We are working to reclassify his boy every year for the next decade. I'm not sure we can pull that one off, but we've got to at least try. LOL!

How is the Kestner boy doing this year?

Kestner is doing fine. He plays several positions, WR, RB, SE, KR.
The best thing about him is he is a fine individual, and comes from a
Great family. Just darn good folks.
Thanks to some hard work by our Coaching Staff and about 45 players,
Our Warriors have improved from a 2-8 season last year, to a 6-2 yr, with
2 games to go. We got waxed by George Wythe last week, which is really
To be expected because GW is a A1 powerhouse, and we are still rebuilding.

Tell Coach Mills I wish him the best this year, and hopefully Dinwiddie can
Bring home the big one again!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT