ADVERTISEMENT

VHSL Rankings - Oct 17th

Plus Richlands is 8-0 and only played 1 district game. What is the reasoning for some teams not playing district games. Just wondering?

Plus Richlands is 8-0 and only played 1 district game. What is the reasoning for some teams not playing district games. Just wondering?

Richlands is 2-0 in district play this season. That's a typo. Our district is only 5 teams, so we have already played two, and our last two games are district games. We play everyone in ours, just generally towards the end of the season since we have 6 OOD games.

Union_Fan over on SWVASports posted some likely scenarios for the top 5 teams. I'll paste exactly what he wrote:

In all these examples I'm giving Appo best case scenario on their total points just to show that they are not a sure #1 or #2 given "likely" scenarios for Richlands and Graham. Also, it would appear that Dan River and Union are almost certain to remain #4 and #5. Union would need massive help to jump Dan River.

1.) Richlands 10-0 292 29.2
2.) Appomattox 10-0 290 29
3.) Graham 9-1 278 27.8
4.) Dan River 9-1 266 26.6
5.) Union 9-1 258 25.8

1.) Richlands 10-0 292 29.2
2.) Graham 9-1 278 27.8
3.) Appomattox 9-1 273 27.3
4.) Dan River 9-1 265 26.5
5.) Union 9-1 258 25.8

1.) Appomattox 10-0 290 29
2.) Graham 9-1 279 27.9
3.) Richlands 9-1 273 27.3
4.) Dan River 9-1 266 26.6
5.) Union 9-1 257 25.7

1.) Graham 9-1 279 27.9
2.) Appomattox 9-1 273 27.3
3.) Richlands 9-1 273 27.3
4.) Dan River 9-1 265 26.5
5.) Union 9-1 257 25.7

Reactions: BigWinners
I hope that happens. If we bring our "A" game against AltaVista, especially on defense we can get a win, then beat Nelson County. Not a good feeling sitting home when playoffs start.

If Dan River did lose to Gretna, Union wins out and has their rider points all come out positive, is it even possible to get the 4-seed?

So if I'm understanding this correctly - if Appomattox and Richlands both win out, more than likely, Richlands will be #1 seed and Appo #2 ???

I would think if Appo wins out they would get good rider points from both Rustburg & Amherst regardless of who wins in that game, and then get the 1 seed.
There's no way you go undefeated with that schedule and not get it. Either way it's no big deal as I think wins over Heritage, Rustburg, (maybe Amherst), Dan River & Altavista would prepare you for anyone you see in 2A, regardless of what field you play on.

If Dan River did lose to Gretna, Union wins out and has their rider points all come out positive, is it even possible to get the 4-seed?
If Dan River were to lose another game this year(unlikely), then Union could easily snag the #4 seed if things just go as expected for their opponents.

I would think if Appo wins out they would get good rider points from both Rustburg & Amherst regardless of who wins in that game, and then get the 1 seed.
There's no way you go undefeated with that schedule and not get it. Either way it's no big deal as I think wins over Heritage, Rustburg, (maybe Amherst), Dan River & Altavista would prepare you for anyone you see in 2A, regardless of what field you play on.
Assuming both go 10-0. Appomattox's maximum points they can attain is 292. Richlands' maximum is 298. I don't expect either to reach their maximum, but it is entirely possible for the Raiders to finish 10-0 and not get the #1 seed.

It's going to be really close. Like one unexpected loss or victory by Appomattox or Richlands defeated opponents could change everything close. Their final points are going to be right on top of each other. Could very well tie in points.

It's going to be really close. Like one unexpected loss or victory by Appomattox or Richlands defeated opponents could change everything close. Their final points are going to be right on top of each other. Could very well tie in points.
Exactly. Can't wait to see how it plays out.

I see where Graham played Richlands very tough. Dan River played Appomattox very tough. Union played both Graham and Richlands tough. Don't sound like there's a whole lot of difference in the top 5 seeds. Should make for some good and exciting playoff football.

I see where Graham played Richlands very tough. Dan River played Appomattox very tough. Union played both Graham and Richlands tough. Don't sound like there's a whole lot of difference in the top 5 seeds. Should make for some good and exciting playoff football.

Graham and union haven't played this year. Only common for both opponent is richlands.

Union was up 2 touchdowns on Richlands in the 4th only to lose by 1 in OT.

Graham was up 21-0 on Richlands in the 1st half then went on to lose 31-24. Graham dropped a pass in the endzone on the last play of the game that could've tied it up.

I can't speak for Appomatox or Dan River but the top 3 in SWVA all seem to be pretty wel even in talent across the board with the coaching edge going to Richlands, & that's why they're 10-0.

It will all come out in the wash. The biggest issue is that our region is so expansive, none of us wants to be that team traveling 200 miles for a game. All you can do is take care of what you can control(winning) and let the rest take care of itself. It does appear that the West is loaded from 1-6 or so. In the last 5 years we have been on both sides of it and hosting is really nice...LOL.

My mistake. I guess I looked at it wrong. Thanks for the correction eh31.

Union defeated Graham in the playoffs last year, but that doesn't mean much this year. It'd be a slobber knocker if it plays again, same as any top 6 matchup. I don't see any of the top six blowing each other out, I think any team could beat anyone on a given day.

Reactions: AppoCrazy
Union defeated Graham in the playoffs last year, but that doesn't mean much this year. It'd be a slobber knocker if it plays again, same as any top 6 matchup. I don't see any of the top six blowing each other out, I think any team could beat anyone on a given day.

I didn't go to that playoff game but Graham was hanging with Union weren't they? Until Cousin got knocked out atleast

If the season ended today Grundy would get a brutal matchup with Giles as a #11 seed

If the season ended today Grundy would get a brutal matchup with Giles as a #11 seed
That they would!
If the season ended today, and that was their opponent, Grundy's season would be over next week.

Grundy has a good team, but I wouldn't bet on them beating Tazewell or Ridgeview.

Reactions: eh31
I didn't go to that playoff game but Graham was hanging with Union weren't they? Until Cousin got knocked out atleast
Cousin really picked up after an injury on Union's D-Line, but yea, Graham gave the Bears a game until late.

Reactions: eh31

Union was leading by at least one if not two scores IIRC but it was def still a competitive, either team could wikn game until he went down. Union was up by I believe a TD at the half and never trailed for more than two minutes, but the 28-point gap came in the 4th when Union exploded and Cousin was out.

Union was leading by at least one if not two scores IIRC but it was def still a competitive, either team could wikn game until he went down. Union was up by I believe a TD at the half and never trailed for more than two minutes, but the 28-point gap came in the 4th when Union exploded and Cousin was out.
That's how I thought it had happened but I didn't trust my memory.

Last year Graham went as Cousin went. What's made them such a better team this year is they are way more well rounded. There's been times this year that Meade, Cooke, Allen, & Reed would almost make you forget that Cousin was on the field.

I can't figure out Battle. Are they good or not? They beat Central and Ridgeview but lost to Virginia and PH. They are on the bubble now, with three tough games left. I think they are in if they win one of them. Lose all three and they are out.

I can't figure out Battle. Are they good or not? They beat Central and Ridgeview but lost to Virginia and PH. They are on the bubble now, with three tough games left. I think they are in if they win one of them. Lose all three and they are out.
I won't see Battle until the final week, so I can't really comment on them, but Central has too many injuries to be competitive and, as much as I'm rooting for them, Ridgeview isn't very good.
I expected PH to beat Battle. Haven't seen Va High this year.

I can say this. Battle hasn't been the same since they went to the semis in 2012, but I think they are improving with this new coach.

Reactions: Bigrhsfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT