ADVERTISEMENT

VHSL Rankings - October 24th

Graham will jump Richlands unless they lose one they shouldn't. Appo will finish 1st with two wins. If they lose to Amherst, however, they will be in a battle with Richlands for the 2 seed. If Richlands was to get that 2, Appo would make the return trip in round 3, barring any upsets.

Not that rematches are bad but would like to see Richlands vs Dan River and Appomattox vs Graham or switched the other way

Don't sleep on Union or Giles. Giles is getting healthier and Union is a beast with size, speed, and well coached. For this season, Graham is probably more talented than any team in far AA SWVA (I am not including Appo or Dan River) but.......if there is a team that is close or equal in talent, it is Union. As for Richlands, they are so well coached and solid and yes, they are good enough to win a title this year, but talent wise, they may be just a tad down from last yr. But...still talented.

I think there are 6 teams in the West with Appo, D. River, Union, Richlands, Giles, and Graham that can win a state title. I am not saying they are better than Goochland or Clarke either. I am just going by all 6 teams actually being very close with their level of play on the field. I truly don't think there is 10 points separation between any of the six. If there is not over 10 pts separation, then turnovers and injuries come into play and that ten points of separation can be overcome by the supposedly inferior team.

In summary, many are thinking about Appo, Dan River, Richlands, and Graham in the West and rightfully so, but,. If Giles or Union were to be the last team standing and going to Salem, it would not be a gigantic or huge shocker.

Reactions: BigWinners
I can't say anything about Giles because I haven't seen them this year, but I have seen Union up close at Richlands and they do have the ability to beat anybody they play.
They are big, well coached and have some speed, not Appo or Graham type of speed at least depth wise, but they do have some speed, and they have a legit D1 prospect in Mitchell who can take over a game if and when he wants to.
There is not a hill of beans difference between the 3 teams of FAR western Virginia consisting of Graham, Union and Richlands and I am not counting Appo or DR because I don't consider them part of FAR western Virginia.
But those 2 teams are also capable of beating anybody so the playoffs are going to be fun and scary for those 5 teams, 6 if you count Giles, and I don't mean to discount them, I just don't know anything about them this year. With their history you have to always add them into the equation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT