VHSL Statement on Fall Sports

schoolboard

VaPreps All District
Oct 21, 2006
VIRGINIA HIGH SCHOOL LEAGUE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Mike McCall
May 19, 2020 mmccall@vhsl.org

VHSL developing plans for reopening of fall athletics and activities

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – To ensure all compliance with possible state directives from the Governor, Virginia Department of Education (VDOE), the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) and the CDC with the reopening of schools for the fall of 2020, the Virginia High School League is developing plans for the reopening of fall athletics and activities by putting the health, safety and well-being of our student-athletes, student-activity participants, coaches, administrators, officials and supporters first. In all instances, reopening will only happen in accordance with the Governor’s directives on when to return to school, when schools can return to practice, and when schools can return to competition.

VHSL staff continues to meet regularly with region superintendents, principals, athletic directors, and the VHSL Sports Medicine Advisory Committee (SMAC). VHSL staff will begin meeting with Coach Advisory Committees of fall sports to discuss developing reopening plans. VHSL is drawing input to provide answers to the questions: How and when do VHSL sports and activities return? The goal is to develop plans for multiple scenarios related to start dates, safety measures for resuming practices, regular season schedules, and state playoffs for fall sports.

“What we have been doing and will continue to do, is to strongly advocate for our student-athletes for a reopening of fall sports and activities. We know much has been taken away from our students by the COVID-19 pandemic. We will continue to advocate for them and the return of high school athletics and activities,” said VHSL Executive Director Dr. John W. “Billy” Haun. “It is important to say, and many already have, as we develop plans there are more questions than answers. Because of that, we cannot put a timeline on when decisions will be completed and announced to the public until many of those questions become answerable.

“We continue to fully support our Governor’s directives, work with advisory groups, government agencies, other states, and medical experts to come up with a safe and sound plan to implement sports and activities for the fall.”

In addition, VHSL Executive Director, Dr. Haun serves on the VDOE Return to School Recovery Task Force and VHSL Associate Executive Director, Tom Dolan, and Director of Communications, Mike McCall, along with Dr. Haun, have provided ongoing recommendations to the Return To School Committee for VDOE.

As a member of the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS), the VHSL works closely with other states in developing guidelines for the reopening of sports, as well as monitoring NCAA reopening guidelines. The VHSL Sports Medicine Advisory Committee will use the National Federation of State High School Association Sports Medicine Advisory Committee Guidance for Opening Up High School Athletics and Activities to create guidelines for Virginia’s schools.

-VHSL-

VIRGINIA HIGH SCHOOL LEAGUE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Mike McCall
May 19, 2020 mmccall@vhsl.org

VHSL developing plans for reopening of fall athletics and activities

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – To ensure all compliance with possible state directives from the Governor, Virginia Department of Education (VDOE), the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) and the CDC with the reopening of schools for the fall of 2020, the Virginia High School League is developing plans for the reopening of fall athletics and activities by putting the health, safety and well-being of our student-athletes, student-activity participants, coaches, administrators, officials and supporters first. In all instances, reopening will only happen in accordance with the Governor’s directives on when to return to school, when schools can return to practice, and when schools can return to competition.

VHSL staff continues to meet regularly with region superintendents, principals, athletic directors, and the VHSL Sports Medicine Advisory Committee (SMAC). VHSL staff will begin meeting with Coach Advisory Committees of fall sports to discuss developing reopening plans. VHSL is drawing input to provide answers to the questions: How and when do VHSL sports and activities return? The goal is to develop plans for multiple scenarios related to start dates, safety measures for resuming practices, regular season schedules, and state playoffs for fall sports.

“What we have been doing and will continue to do, is to strongly advocate for our student-athletes for a reopening of fall sports and activities. We know much has been taken away from our students by the COVID-19 pandemic. We will continue to advocate for them and the return of high school athletics and activities,” said VHSL Executive Director Dr. John W. “Billy” Haun. “It is important to say, and many already have, as we develop plans there are more questions than answers. Because of that, we cannot put a timeline on when decisions will be completed and announced to the public until many of those questions become answerable.

“We continue to fully support our Governor’s directives, work with advisory groups, government agencies, other states, and medical experts to come up with a safe and sound plan to implement sports and activities for the fall.”

In addition, VHSL Executive Director, Dr. Haun serves on the VDOE Return to School Recovery Task Force and VHSL Associate Executive Director, Tom Dolan, and Director of Communications, Mike McCall, along with Dr. Haun, have provided ongoing recommendations to the Return To School Committee for VDOE.

As a member of the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS), the VHSL works closely with other states in developing guidelines for the reopening of sports, as well as monitoring NCAA reopening guidelines. The VHSL Sports Medicine Advisory Committee will use the National Federation of State High School Association Sports Medicine Advisory Committee Guidance for Opening Up High School Athletics and Activities to create guidelines for Virginia’s schools.

-VHSL-

Thanks for posting.

Any way you could play half a regular season or a shortened regular season and still have playoffs? Awesome to hear that the VHSL is committed to a return to play in the fall.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
As long as school is in session. Have 4 teams make the playoffs, not 8. Play 6 games and start the playoffs. Have some troubled teams like in my area, Bruton and Jamestown just pass on playing and figure out who should play who for the 6 games from the district and what match ups to eliminate . Here that would eliminate the 1 OOD game and one district game.

Any way you could play half a regular season or a shortened regular season and still have playoffs? Awesome to hear that the VHSL is committed to a return to play in the fall.

I mean, the same people who make the rules make this decision. They could have a two game regular season and full POs if they wanted, it's their rulebook. If there even is a rule about mandatory minimum games required for the POs I'm sure they will make an exception for extraordinary circumstances.

I'll be fairly shocked if they have the sport period and choose not to do POs in some form.

Be prepared on Tuesday for Supreme Leader Northam to make masks mandatory. Going to go to a game in a mask ? Players to wear masks? I’m sure areas will be in total revolt. Nova now is a lost cause, their done until 2021. Glad I moved years ago from that overpriced, congested crap.

Be prepared on Tuesday for Supreme Leader Northam to make masks mandatory. Going to go to a game in a mask ? Players to wear masks? I’m sure areas will be in total revolt. Nova now is a lost cause, their done until 2021. Glad I moved years ago from that overpriced, congested crap.
Mandatory masks in places now is a joke!! People wear their mask on their chin with mouth and nose not covered. Some with just their mouth covered (nose exposed). Some just have the mask around their neck with nothing covered.. BUT THEY HAVE A MASK ON!! I think that's all that matters. If it is on, you get a check mark no more said.... Just saying. Those who wear the mask for nothing but an above the shoulder decoration are allowed.... It's crazy!

As much as I love the entertainment aspect of NoVa, you’d be a fool to move there if you don’t live 5 minutes from your job, live in Warrenton and leave for work 2 hours ahead of time and commute, or make 75k a year at minimum. I live in the 804 and go to NoVa/DC on the weekends. Great place but like you said, very overpriced , overcrowded and very congested. I have a friend who took a job up there for $50k a year.. LOL!!!!!!!!!! Good luck with that.

As much as I love the entertainment aspect of NoVa, you’d be a fool to move there if you don’t live 5 minutes from your job, live in Warrenton and leave for work 2 hours ahead of time and commute, or make 75k a year at minimum. I live in the 804 and go to NoVa/DC on the weekends. Great place but like you said, very overpriced , overcrowded and very congested. I have a friend who took a job up there for $50k a year.. LOL!!!!!!!!!! Good luck with that.
Example/ bought new house in Lowes Island section of eastern Loudoun in 1993 for $225,000, left in 1994 for Williamsburg (job transfer) and went back to visit 2004 on business, saw a sold sign on the house and asked neighbor the price: $495,000!!!

Example/ bought new house in Lowes Island section of eastern Loudoun in 1993 for $225,000, left in 1994 for Williamsburg (job transfer) and went back to visit 2004 on business, saw a sold sign on the house and asked neighbor the price: $495,000!!!
I believe it. I received a job offer in Fairfax County this summer and was going to make 62k, well up there for a $h*tty 1br apartment starts at 1,700 for just rent, no amenities.. Heck no! Not worth it!!! Especially with the much higher cost of living. $65k there is equivalent to $40k in the western part of the state. If you’re looking to buy a house in a halfway decent neighborhood will run you north of $290k. If you reside in Richmond (Chesterfield or Henrico County is wayyyyy better than the actual city) or Williamsburg, you’re still within a 2 hour drive from NoVa if you choose to visit. For me, there’s no better place to live than Richmond or the 757.

Last edited:
I believe it. I received a job offer in Fairfax County this summer and was going to make 62k, well up there for a $h*tty 1br apartment starts at 1,700 for just rent, no amenities.. Heck no! Not worth it!!! Especially with the much higher cost of living. $65k there is equivalent to $40k in the western part of the state. If you’re looking to buy a house in a halfway decent neighborhood will run you north of $290k. If you reside in Richmond (Chesterfield or Henrico County is wayyyyy better than the actual city) or Williamsburg, you’re still within a 2 hour drive from NoVa if you choose to visit. For me, there’s no better place to live than Richmond or the 757.
I live in a nice 4 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car detached garage on 3/4 acre lot in Highland Springs. I paid taxes on it's worth of $164,000. A house like this one in Western Henrico would run about $275,000. If it were in NOVA probably $450,000-$500,000.

Last edited:
I live in a nice 4 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car detached garage on 3/4 acre lot in Highland Springs. I paid taxes on it's worth of $164,000. A house like this one in Western Henrico would run about $275,000. If it were in NOVA probably $450,000-$500,000.
West End Henrico is outrageous! I work out there and was thinking about making it my new home.. NOPE! I am looking at properties in Varina (easy to jump on 295) and Chesterfield (Bon Air, easy ride up Chippenham). Much much more reasonable and very nice areas. I love the Richmond metro area!

I'm a little upset that the other thread was locked. It was a good, deep, REAL conversation. But I'm glad it wasn't deleted. It shows who at least cares about other humans, and trying to do the right thing, and it exposes how sociopaths think. @HooSprings literally called our situation a "purge" and is excited about it because it benefits him personally. Think about that, and think about what it could mean for the future of our society, our country, and the world. But to be fair to him, he's a Marine vet and has probably seen some real mind-numbing poop.

I'm watching live Korean baseball on ESPN at almost 3 in the morning. I never thought I would say that in my life. The NBA is coming back soon, and might play at Disney. Never thought I'd say that either. But this baseball can definitely hold me over. I just hope to see Martinsburg get smacked around by Highland Springs and future Hall of Famer Coach Johnson, too. Let's help make it happen, and show them what the class of Virginia high school football is really about.

They said economic recessions/depressions are a once-in-a-lifetime thing. I've now seen two and I'm 31 years old.

Last edited:

You think thats bad.. https://www.google.com/maps/place/4...7cc095195ce936!8m2!3d38.8590514!4d-77.0993735

See that tiny little house? Squint if you must. Two bedrooms. This thing sold a few years back for $580,000. And that is not the worst of it, the thing had a $600 a month HOA to boot. My wife and I humored ourselves by going to look at it, and then rode a few streets over to our $1800 a month pillbox of an apartment, but hey water and sewage is paid for at least. I used to reverse-commute to Sterling, 15 miles or so and easily an hour drive home each evening.

My manager lived over in the courthouse section of Arlington. Her rent was 2300 a month. It doubled with last years renewal. One of the issues you see up here is rich people come in, buy up two lots with ramblers on them, bulldoze those and then put up massive million dollar homes. It leaves the working folks in the dust.

I'm a little upset that the other thread was locked. It was a good, deep, REAL conversation. But I'm glad it wasn't deleted. It shows who at least cares about other humans, and trying to do the right thing, and it exposes how sociopaths think. @HooSprings literally called our situation a "purge" and is excited about it because it benefits him personally. Think about that, and think about what it could mean for the future of our society, our country, and the world. But to be fair to him, he's a Marine vet and has probably seen some real mind-numbing poop.

I'm watching live Korean baseball on ESPN at almost 3 in the morning. I never thought I would say that in my life. The NBA is coming back soon, and might play at Disney. Never thought I'd say that either. But this baseball can definitely hold me over. I just hope to see Martinsburg get smacked around by Highland Springs and future Hall of Famer Coach Johnson, too. Let's help make it happen, and show them what the class of Virginia high school football is really about.

They said economic recessions/depressions are a once-in-a-lifetime thing. I've now seen two and I'm 31 years old.
After the 2008 financial disaster and now the 2020 pandemic meltdown and having lived myself thru the oil embargo in the 70’s when I was just starting to work, I can only have real sympathy for those in their 30/40’s right now. Glad I am retired, a career these days is difficult.

You think thats bad.. https://www.google.com/maps/place/4...7cc095195ce936!8m2!3d38.8590514!4d-77.0993735

See that tiny little house? Squint if you must. Two bedrooms. This thing sold a few years back for $580,000. And that is not the worst of it, the thing had a $600 a month HOA to boot. My wife and I humored ourselves by going to look at it, and then rode a few streets over to our $1800 a month pillbox of an apartment, but hey water and sewage is paid for at least. I used to reverse-commute to Sterling, 15 miles or so and easily an hour drive home each evening.

My manager lived over in the courthouse section of Arlington. Her rent was 2300 a month. It doubled with last years renewal. One of the issues you see up here is rich people come in, buy up two lots with ramblers on them, bulldoze those and then put up massive million dollar homes. It leaves the working folks in the dust.

That’s not unique here either. I grew up in N. Jersey in pretty nice town called Summit. Smaller nice homes all being torn down and replaced with much bigger homes on the same lot for double the price. Average price in that town now? Over $1 million. Yep, that’s not an error. Cheap homes are $700k.

You guys really don’t get it! IT’S called real estate segregation!!! Do you know why HOAs are developed?! They’re designed to keep neighborhoods the way they want them! I can promise you,if people in a neighborhood don’t want section 8 housing in their area...they make sure low income can’t afford to live there. I live in a huge house(5bdrm 3bath no HOA)that would be 40% cheaper in the East End,BUT the housing is also priced out of low income price range. That’s called “masked segregation”. I can almost promise you,the pay is better out in the west end than the east end too. How many HOAs are in the East End compared to the West End? There’s one new condo subdivision going up in the WEnd that STARTS at 800K. How many Drs do you know that would live in Creighton Ct?! Get it now?!

My dad used to work at Fort Myer back in the early 90s and he paid $650 a month for an efficiency. They tore his apartments down and that same spot on the Alexandria side of Columbia Pike has multi million dollar homes on it now. It’s absolutely crazy! I will say, you won’t find a nicer area. I’m content living in Richmond and driving the 75 miles to Fairfax or Tyson’s (same distance from Danville to Roanoke or Raleigh, NC but you can get to NoVa from Richmond much faster even hitting a little traffic). Northern Virginia is where it’s at IF you have the patience for the traffic and the means to live there.

Last edited:
My dad used to work at Fort Meyers back in the early 90s and he paid $650 a month for an efficiency. They tore his apartments down and that same spot on the Alexandria side of Columbia Pike has multi million dollar homes on it now. It’s absolutely crazy! I will say, you won’t find a nicer area. I’m content living in Richmond and driving the 75 miles to Fairfax or Tyson’s (same distance from Danville to Roanoke or Raleigh, NC but you can get to NoVa from Richmond much faster even hitting a little traffic). Northern Virginia is where it’s at IF you have the patience for the traffic and the means to live there.

We live on Columbia Pike. And I'm not sure I'll ever get used to the traffic. Up until recently my job was a 20 minute bus ride from home. But yea it's a trade off. We had considered moving further out, but adding two+ hours to our work day commuting to and from work just isnt worth it. The thing I like about this area is the sheer amount of things to do. We do not go into DC as much as we used to, but southern Maryland is right at our fingertips and we love it there.

I think one of the side effects of this current situation with this virus is you'll see more companies begin teleworking permanently. I've been doing this for over two months now and I know my company is thinking seriously about making this a permanent thing based off of how much cheaper overhead costs will be. If that occurs I think we will probably end up moving over towards Annapolis or Prince Frederick.

You guys really don’t get it! IT’S called real estate segregation!!! Do you know why HOAs are developed?! They’re designed to keep neighborhoods the way they want them! I can promise you,if people in a neighborhood don’t want section 8 housing in their area...they make sure low income can’t afford to live there. I live in a huge house(5bdrm 3bath no HOA)that would be 40% cheaper in the East End,BUT the housing is also priced out of low income price range. That’s called “masked segregation”. I can almost promise you,the pay is better out in the west end than the east end too. How many HOAs are in the East End compared to the West End? There’s one new condo subdivision going up in the WEnd that STARTS at 800K. How many Drs do you know that would live in Creighton Ct?! Get it now?!
Yep, can’t argue with that. The West End is a little overrated in my opinion. I personally prefer Midlothian/Chesterfield over Short Pump as far as dining and shopping. If I lived in far East End, I’d more than likely do all of my shopping in Williamsburg (10 more miles than going to Short Pump). You can find some really nice properties in the East for the low. The East End gets a bad rep and it gets frowned upon because it’s “black majority”, when in fact, Mechanicsville and Hanover is in the East too but that’s white majority..That stereotype holds no merit. Eastern Henrico, like all places, has its bad places. Hell, there’s a couple communities out Dumbarton and Brook Rd going West that I’d say NOOOOO to. I ask myself all the time, would you rather be associated with the East End stereotype and live in a very nice neighborhood or would you want to live in a perceived “nice area” like Church Hill and walk outside and see the lingering affects of gentrification (ABC store, projects/hood a couple of streets over, The Hill Cafe was robbed just a few months back, etc.) I’ll take the East End any day.

Note: Before I’m attacked for calling it the hood a few streets over, IM BLACK MYSELF :)

Last edited:
Reactions: HooSprings and mmqp
My dad used to work at Fort Myer back in the early 90s and he paid $650 a month for an efficiency. They tore his apartments down and that same spot on the Alexandria side of Columbia Pike has multi million dollar homes on it now. It’s absolutely crazy! I will say, you won’t find a nicer area. I’m content living in Richmond and driving the 75 miles to Fairfax or Tyson’s (same distance from Danville to Roanoke or Raleigh, NC but you can get to NoVa from Richmond much faster even hitting a little traffic). Northern Virginia is where it’s at IF you have the patience for the traffic and the means to live there.
Way too liberal for me in NOVA! I wouldn’t last a month up there!!!

Way too liberal for me in NOVA! I wouldn’t last a month up there!!!
I’m not into politics at all but I can’t with the extremist on either side. I was taught to respect other’s beliefs and differences. I also know not to get worked up over stuff that opposing parties make up, debate and point fingers over, and then go get drinks afterwards.

Reactions: falcettik
That’s not unique here either. I grew up in N. Jersey in pretty nice town called Summit. Smaller nice homes all being torn down and replaced with much bigger homes on the same lot for double the price. Average price in that town now? Over $1 million. Yep, that’s not an error. Cheap homes are $700k.

Oh I have no doubt. Thats why so many people end up moving from NY and NJ to here.
Yep, can’t argue with that. The West End is a little overrated in my opinion. I personally prefer Midlothian/Chesterfield over Short Pump as far as dining and shopping. If I lived in far East End, I’d more than likely do all of my shopping in Williamsburg (10 more miles than going to Short Pump). You can find some really nice properties in the East for the low. The East End gets a bad rep and it gets frowned upon because it’s “black majority”, when in fact, Mechanicsville and Hanover is in the East too but that’s white majority..That stereotype holds no merit. Eastern Henrico, like all places, has its bad places. Hell, there’s a couple communities out Dumbarton and Brook Rd going West that I’d say NOOOOO to. I ask myself all the time, would you rather be associated with the East End stereotype and live in a very nice neighborhood or would you want to live in a perceived “nice area” like Church Hill and walk outside and see the lingering affects of gentrification (ABC store, projects/hood a couple of streets over, The Hill Cafe was robbed just a few months back, etc.) I’ll take the East End any day.

Note: Before I’m attacked for calling it the hood a few streets over, IM BLACK MYSELF :)

Richmond is the only one of the "Big 3" areas I've never lived in here in Virginia. Based off of my very limited experience with that area I would go with the East End as well. The biggest draw being that I would be just that much closer to the beach and Williamsburg. I lived in Norfolk for nearly 4 years so I've had my experience with good and bad neighborhoods. Like you say, every big city area has that. So it pays to use common sense. Gosh, you have me thinking about my time in Norfolk now. I miss that area sometimes.

Richmond is the only one of the "Big 3" areas I've never lived in here in Virginia. Based off of my very limited experience with that area I would go with the East End as well. The biggest draw being that I would be just that much closer to the beach and Williamsburg. I lived in Norfolk for nearly 4 years so I've had my experience with good and bad neighborhoods. Like you say, every big city area has that. So it pays to use common sense. Gosh, you have me thinking about my time in Norfolk now. I miss that area sometimes.
RVA is really nice. The Fan/Carytown/Scott’s Addition has a Georgetown/Clarendon feel to it. Cary St before you cross 14th to Shockoe Slip is very nice as well. They’re doing a lot over in Manchester which is across the bridge in Southside. Richmond is still a very easy drive to Norfolk/75, OBX, NoVa/DC/Baltimore, Raleigh/Durham or Lynchburg/Roanoke if you’d like to take a day trip. It’s always something to do within a two hour drive. I’m
a fan of Fredericksburg as well but their traffic may be worst than NoVa’s and you’re still 50 minutes from RVA or DC. Norfolk would be my second choice if I didn’t want to make RVA my home for life. I like the 75 area as a whole.

Reactions: mmqp
RVA is really nice. The Fan/Carytown/Scott’s Addition has a Georgetown/Clarendon feel to it. Cary St before you cross 14th to Shockoe Slip is very nice as well. They’re doing a lot over in Manchester which is across the bridge in Southside. Richmond is still a very easy drive to Norfolk/75, OBX, NoVa/DC/Baltimore, Raleigh/Durham or Lynchburg/Roanoke if you’d like to take a day trip. It’s always something to do within a two hour drive. I’m
a fan of Fredericksburg as well but their traffic may be worst than NoVa’s and you’re still 50 minutes from RVA or DC. Norfolk would be my second choice if I didn’t want to make RVA my home for life. I like the 75 area as a whole.

You aint lying about Fredericksburg traffic. I hate that part of I95. One year we were going on vacation to Topsail, NC which I think normally takes around 6 hours from here. It took us two hours to get from the north end of Stafford to the south end of Fredericksburg and there were no wrecks and no construction. Just people hitting their brakes for the fun of it I guess.

Raleigh is another area I would consider moving to. I do not know much about that area but the handful of people I know who live there say it is great. Once again though, I question how much am I sacrificing moving out of this area. They have hockey at least, but I'm right here to watch my beloved Midshipmen play football and lacrosse and even better, my wife works at the hotel where the Caps players stay, so we're always getting free tickets and whatnot. She's gotten to meet most of the players and coaches and they even kept the Stanley Cup trophy there for the duration of season afterwards. We actually had planned a trip to take Brendan Dillon and his fiance with us on a sightseeing trip to southern Maryland but Corona wiped those plans out. I just dont know if I can handle giving up such perks lol.

You aint lying about Fredericksburg traffic. I hate that part of I95. One year we were going on vacation to Topsail, NC which I think normally takes around 6 hours from here. It took us two hours to get from the north end of Stafford to the south end of Fredericksburg and there were no wrecks and no construction. Just people hitting their brakes for the fun of it I guess.

Raleigh is another area I would consider moving to. I do not know much about that area but the handful of people I know who live there say it is great. Once again though, I question how much am I sacrificing moving out of this area. They have hockey at least, but I'm right here to watch my beloved Midshipmen play football and lacrosse and even better, my wife works at the hotel where the Caps players stay, so we're always getting free tickets and whatnot. She's gotten to meet most of the players and coaches and they even kept the Stanley Cup trophy there for the duration of season afterwards. We actually had planned a trip to take Brendan Dillon and his fiance with us on a sightseeing trip to southern Maryland but Corona wiped those plans out. I just dont know if I can handle giving up such perks lol.
Raleigh is a very nice place, I don’t think I would leave NoVa to move there though. I spent a lot of time in Raleigh/Durham, Greensboro/Winston Salem, and Charlotte growing up from being right across the state line (Danville). I personally love NC High School Sports more than I do VA, 10x way more competitive and way better effort by players and community support. Cost of living is way cheaper than the big cities like Chesapeake, Norfolk, RVA, Fairfax, Alexandria, etc BUT the pay in NC is way less, overall. With me being fresh out of college and not being financially established, it made zero sense for me to move to NoVa to pay higher rent, higher taxes and still have to contend with the other higher costs of living there. I make probably 4-5 trips to NoVa monthly and I still get the perks of a good income/lower rent by living in RVA. It’s a good trade off. It does suck when I get off at 4 and want to go to a game in NoVa or the 757. Traffic here in RVA is down right horrid during rush hour. A LOT of idiot drivers.

Raleigh is a very nice place, I don’t think I would leave NoVa to move there though. I spent a lot of time in Raleigh/Durham, Greensboro/Winston Salem, and Charlotte growing up from being right across the state line (Danville). I personally love NC High School Sports more than I do VA, 10x way more competitive and way better effort by players and community support. Cost of living is way cheaper than the big cities like Chesapeake, Norfolk, RVA, Fairfax, Alexandria, etc BUT the pay in NC is way less, overall. With me being fresh out of college and not being financially established, it made zero sense for me to move to NoVa to pay higher rent, higher taxes and still have to contend with the other higher costs of living there. I make probably 4-5 trips to NoVa monthly and I still get the perks of a good income/lower rent by living in RVA. It’s a good trade off. It does suck when I get off at 4 and want to go to a game in NoVa or the 757. Traffic here in RVA is down right horrid during rush hour. A LOT of idiot drivers.

Thanks for the input on Raleigh, I will definitely keep that in mind. Like I say, the only way I'd move there is if I'm able to telework with my current position. Stay with current pay and cut my costs nearly in half for housing is the name of the game haha! The idea of having a two car garage to set up a large fish aquarium room in makes me drool.

I actually prefer small school sports so I'm always trying to figure out ways to get the heck out of this area to make it out to places like Quantico and Rappahannock County to watch games. I once left here at 4:30 PM to make a 7 PM game in Quantico.. I walked in at halftime smh. The only sport I watch at the 5A-6A level is lacrosse. I love watching James Robinson and I'd have to say the 2015 state championship between Robinson and Chantilly is the single most exciting high school sporting event I've ever been to.

We live on Columbia Pike. And I'm not sure I'll ever get used to the traffic. Up until recently my job was a 20 minute bus ride from home. But yea it's a trade off. We had considered moving further out, but adding two+ hours to our work day commuting to and from work just isnt worth it. The thing I like about this area is the sheer amount of things to do. We do not go into DC as much as we used to, but southern Maryland is right at our fingertips and we love it there.

I think one of the side effects of this current situation with this virus is you'll see more companies begin teleworking permanently. I've been doing this for over two months now and I know my company is thinking seriously about making this a permanent thing based off of how much cheaper overhead costs will be. If that occurs I think we will probably end up moving over towards Annapolis or Prince Frederick.

I lived on Columbia Pike (Arlington side) for nearly ten years and Southern Maryland for about the same amount of time. Vastly different areas and pluses and minuses on both sides. I agree the commutes in this area get old, but honestly it would be nearly impossible to do what I do anywhere else in Virginia and I certainly couldn't match the pay if I tried. When in Southern Maryland, try Jerry's Place for great seafood and service.

I lived on Columbia Pike (Arlington side) for nearly ten years and Southern Maryland for about the same amount of time. Vastly different areas and pluses and minuses on both sides. I agree the commutes in this area get old, but honestly it would be nearly impossible to do what I do anywhere else in Virginia and I certainly couldn't match the pay if I tried. When in Southern Maryland, try Jerry's Place for great seafood and service.

Jerrys is great! And yea I agree there is nowhere else in Virginia that could even compare pay wise. We live on the Arlington side of Columbia Pike also, close to Glebe, and this area has changed a lot in even just the last 4 years or so.

Southern Maryland has such excellent parks and we're always finding a new one it seems. Point Lookout being one of my favorites but my absolute favorites being Piscataway and Gilberts Run. What part of Southern Maryland did you live in if you dont mind my asking? Leonardtown is another area we are open to along with Annapolis and PF.

Jerrys is great! And yea I agree there is nowhere else in Virginia that could even compare pay wise. We live on the Arlington side of Columbia Pike also, close to Glebe, and this area has changed a lot in even just the last 4 years or so.

Southern Maryland has such excellent parks and we're always finding a new one it seems. Point Lookout being one of my favorites but my absolute favorites being Piscataway and Gilberts Run. What part of Southern Maryland did you live in if you dont mind my asking? Leonardtown is another area we are open to along with Annapolis and PF.
I know that area of Arlington very well. I used to live just north of Glebe in an apartment near Bob and Edith's. I used to train at the Golds on south Glebe. I moved there the week of 9/11 and it's completely different now.

I lived in Waldorf and La Plata and mostly loved the community. A lot of people moved down that way from the city and it has changed since my first visit in the 90s. I'm looking at Fulton in Howard and Davidsonville in Anne Arundel for our forever home with our kids approaching middle school. Lots of options and maybe back to Charles or Virginia.

I know that area of Arlington very well. I used to live just north of Glebe in an apartment near Bob and Edith's. I used to train at the Golds on south Glebe. I moved there the week of 9/11 and it's completely different now.

I lived in Waldorf and La Plata and mostly loved the community. A lot of people moved down that way from the city and it has changed since my first visit in the 90s. I'm looking at Fulton in Howard and Davidsonville in Anne Arundel for our forever home with our kids approaching middle school. Lots of options and maybe back to Charles or Virginia.

Oh yea we love Bob and Ediths also. And Lost Dogs. Not sure if Atillas was here when you lived here but they're going to be tearing that shopping center down I believe. They already demolished the Arlington Presbyterian Church over by the 7/11 and Burger King. Place is growing at an alarming rate IMO.

We love both Waldorf and La Plata. You werent living there during that F5 tornado were you? Funny thing, we rode through Howard County yesterday on our way up to Westminster. Both Howard and Carroll County are beautiful areas. I do want to make it a point one day to go over to Ellicott City and pay my respects to that man who drowned trying to save that lady during their crazy flooding a few years back.

Reactions: CavsGrad
Oh yea we love Bob and Ediths also. And Lost Dogs. Not sure if Atillas was here when you lived here but they're going to be tearing that shopping center down I believe. They already demolished the Arlington Presbyterian Church over by the 7/11 and Burger King. Place is growing at an alarming rate IMO.

We love both Waldorf and La Plata. You werent living there during that F5 tornado were you? Funny thing, we rode through Howard County yesterday on our way up to Westminster. Both Howard and Carroll County are beautiful areas. I do want to make it a point one day to go over to Ellicott City and pay my respects to that man who drowned trying to save that lady during their crazy flooding a few years back.
I haven't been to Lost Dogs or Atillas, but remember having my first experience with Peruvian chicken not far from there at Edys. I was in the Glebe/Columbia Pike area in February and honestly lost my frame of reference because of all of the growth. I agree it seems to have changed over night.

Thankfully, I was in Arlington during the tornado. Lots of great places in Maryland to eat and visit, and good high school sports. I do wish the public football games were better statewide. There are good programs, but mostly sprinkled throughout the counties. North point has been on the rise in Southern Maryland and Wise in Prince George's has been dominant. Good programs in Anne Arundel, Howard, and Montgomery too. The WCAC privates seem to take most of the top talent. It would be interesting to see how the NoVA schools would look without the pull of the privates in the area.

I haven't been to Lost Dogs or Atillas, but remember having my first experience with Peruvian chicken not far from there at Edys. I was in the Glebe/Columbia Pike area in February and honestly lost my frame of reference because of all of the growth. I agree it seems to have changed over night.

Thankfully, I was in Arlington during the tornado. Lots of great places in Maryland to eat and visit, and good high school sports. I do wish the public football games were better statewide. There are good programs, but mostly sprinkled throughout the counties. North point has been on the rise in Southern Maryland and Wise in Prince George's has been dominant. Good programs in Anne Arundel, Howard, and Montgomery too. The WCAC privates seem to take most of the top talent. It would be interesting to see how the NoVA schools would look without the pull of the privates in the area.

Edy's might by done! The building caught on fire late last week. Not sure the extent of the damages. Thats my sons favorite place to eat. I like their yuca fries, but they always seem to mess up our order lol.

I know it's been said up here that if SSSA wasnt around, all the lacrosse state titles would run through West Potomac and Mount Vernon. I know DeMatha and the rest of WCAC skew what those programs over in Prince George's are capable of, and like you say, Henry Wise still manages to whip up on everyone it seems. My one gripe with Maryland is that none of the really small schools outside of Hancock play football.

Edy's might by done! The building caught on fire late last week. Not sure the extent of the damages. Thats my sons favorite place to eat. I like their yuca fries, but they always seem to mess up our order lol.

I know it's been said up here that if SSSA wasnt around, all the lacrosse state titles would run through West Potomac and Mount Vernon. I know DeMatha and the rest of WCAC skew what those programs over in Prince George's are capable of, and like you say, Henry Wise still manages to whip up on everyone it seems. My one gripe with Maryland is that none of the really small schools outside of Hancock play football.
I hadn't heard about Edys! That brings a tear to my eye. I'd agree with you on Maryland small schools. Although I'd love to see Salem play Fort Hill. I've never been to Cumberland, but that looks like an incredible atmosphere. Wise vs Highland Springs or Oscar Smith mith would be interesting too.

I hadn't heard about Edys! That brings a tear to my eye. I'd agree with you on Maryland small schools. Although I'd love to see Salem play Fort Hill. I've never been to Cumberland, but that looks like an incredible atmosphere. Wise vs Highland Springs or Oscar Smith mith would be interesting too.

Here is the heartbreaking scoop https://www.arlnow.com/2020/05/21/acfd-helps-battle-fire-at-edys-chicken-steak-on-route-7/

We've driven by there a few times but I cant make heads or tails of the extent of the damage.

And yea man, I'd love to see Crisfield, Pocomoke, St. Michaels and Mardela pick up football. North Dorchester too. Crisfield used to play football back in the late 50's and they were good. Pocomoke got beat 80-0 one year by Broadneck and gave up football not longer after that. I'd like to catch some Delaware football at some point. And since I love small school ball so much, I want to see MSDB play.. but gosh that traffic up to Frederick on a Friday afternoon is laughable. And yes! Fort Hill vs. Salem would be great!! Wise vs. Highland Springs would be great too. Wise vs. Martinsburg would be another great one.. and while I think DeMatha would win I'd like to see the Stags take on Martinsburg as well.

Here is the heartbreaking scoop https://www.arlnow.com/2020/05/21/acfd-helps-battle-fire-at-edys-chicken-steak-on-route-7/

We've driven by there a few times but I cant make heads or tails of the extent of the damage.

And yea man, I'd love to see Crisfield, Pocomoke, St. Michaels and Mardela pick up football. North Dorchester too. Crisfield used to play football back in the late 50's and they were good. Pocomoke got beat 80-0 one year by Broadneck and gave up football not longer after that. I'd like to catch some Delaware football at some point. And since I love small school ball so much, I want to see MSDB play.. but gosh that traffic up to Frederick on a Friday afternoon is laughable. And yes! Fort Hill vs. Salem would be great!! Wise vs. Highland Springs would be great too. Wise vs. Martinsburg would be another great one.. and while I think DeMatha would win I'd like to see the Stags take on Martinsburg as well.
That's painful to see. I used to go there weekly for 1/2 a chicken lol.

Your small school knowledge fars surpasses mine lol. Most weekends I look for one of the best game in the immediate metro area or go see a friend's son play, of course, traffic depending. I used to want to see Denatha or another power private play one of Virginia's heavyweights at least yearly, but I don't know if the Virginia schools can keep up nowadays. The depth, size, speed, and better practice opportunities are hard to overcome. Especially with the lure for talented kids of playing for one of the increasing number of loaded privates that now play heavy travel schedules. Still would be fun to see. I remember going to dematha vs phoebus and centreville vs Gonzaga a few years ago. The centreville game had a crazy atmosphere.

Wise vs Martinsburg ? SMH lol

Wise vs Martinsburg ? SMH lol
Martinsburg will truck almost every team in VA in the same enrollment . They would lost to Westfield , Oscar , etc... because they don’t have the depth . They will give Highland Springs a good game this year , not sure this is the usual Martinsburg , lots of graduation ,And a new head coach

That's painful to see. I used to go there weekly for 1/2 a chicken lol.

Your small school knowledge fars surpasses mine lol. Most weekends I look for one of the best game in the immediate metro area or go see a friend's son play, of course, traffic depending. I used to want to see Denatha or another power private play one of Virginia's heavyweights at least yearly, but I don't know if the Virginia schools can keep up nowadays. The depth, size, speed, and better practice opportunities are hard to overcome. Especially with the lure for talented kids of playing for one of the increasing number of loaded privates that now play heavy travel schedules. Still would be fun to see. I remember going to dematha vs phoebus and centreville vs Gonzaga a few years ago. The centreville game had a crazy atmosphere.

Ah yea, that Gonzaga-Centreville game was on ESPN wasnt it? I remember watching it at Glory Days over in Fairfax back when I lived over that way. I'm in Wakefield territory now.. which means that while the football is average, the lacrosse is downright awful. DeMatha vs. Saint Frances Academy would be another good one.

My wife swears by that Super Pollo place over in Ballston, so we might have to switch over to them while Edy's is being rebuilt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT