ADVERTISEMENT

VHSL Student Section Regulations?

Sep 7, 2019
At Halifax, we had a problem with fighting in the schools. Fights were happening everyday for a span of almost two weeks. It stopped right in time for the Basketball team's first Region Title in over 40 years. Coincidence? I don't think so. To combat that, we have restarted the peer mediation (99% success rate before it became defunct), and I'm apart of that group. In the scrimmage, they beat Buckingham (That upset powerhouse Appomattox 27-6). Outside of JF, GW, and perhaps Magna Vista, I think 7-3 isn't out of the question this year. As one of the ideas to promote peace and pride in the school, I have came up the idea to get the student section finally up and running the way it should. I was wondering if the VHSL has any regulations on the spectators (outside of foul language of course) that I would need to be aware of? Could songs be played from the stadium speakers during the game, or would that be prohibited (If so, is it also for stoppage of the games)?

Also, if your school uses certain chants, list them so we have a good list to use!

At Halifax, we had a problem with fighting in the schools. Fights were happening everyday for a span of almost two weeks. It stopped right in time for the Basketball team's first Region Title in over 40 years. Coincidence? I don't think so. To combat that, we have restarted the peer mediation (99% success rate before it became defunct), and I'm apart of that group. In the scrimmage, they beat Buckingham (That upset powerhouse Appomattox 27-6). Outside of JF, GW, and perhaps Magna Vista, I think 7-3 isn't out of the question this year. As one of the ideas to promote peace and pride in the school, I have came up the idea to get the student section finally up and running the way it should. I was wondering if the VHSL has any regulations on the spectators (outside of foul language of course) that I would need to be aware of? Could songs be played from the stadium speakers during the game, or would that be prohibited (If so, is it also for stoppage of the games)?

Also, if your school uses certain chants, list them so we have a good list to use!

I could be mistaken but I don't believe the VHSL has rules, outside of the generals sportsmanship policy they like to have read at every contest, for fan behavior during contests. Policing of the student sections is the responsibility of the school administration, which follows county/school system policy. A lot of the student section behavior can also be influenced by the senior class student leaders, who are almost always the ones choreographing what the student section does. Good rapport between the school admins and senior class student section leadership goes a long way in that regard. Additionally, I believe the VHSL has certain rules in place for the state level competitions (noise makers, signs, etc.) run by the VHSL itself.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
You need to have a meeting involving administration, cheer coach, football coach, and band director. Music through speakers can be played pregame and after scores, but the post score music might step on the toes of the band. You could coordinate with cheer to possibly combine cheers or cheer along.

I love the idea of a cheer section. Schools that have them definitely seem to have more school spirit. Maybe you could come up with a name like Dukes Cameron Crazies and admin could give ticket discount if you're a member. Doesn't Halifax already have a student section for basketball?

Good luck to you.

Sounds like a great idea. I'm 99.9% sure that playing music during the game is prohibited, and certainly wouldn't want to be played during an injury timeout.

At GW we have the Bucket Brigade and only problems we have had are people getting ejected for cussing, etc. Bringing speakers wouldn’t be very smart because as said before it’ll just step on the toes of the band and I’m pretty sure you can’t play stuff at certain times and only certain music is allowed. Just check with the school administrators and AD before you do anything.

You need to have a meeting involving administration, cheer coach, football coach, and band director. Music through speakers can be played pregame and after scores, but the post score music might step on the toes of the band. You could coordinate with cheer to possibly combine cheers or cheer along.

I love the idea of a cheer section. Schools that have them definitely seem to have more school spirit. Maybe you could come up with a name like Dukes Cameron Crazies and admin could give ticket discount if you're a member. Doesn't Halifax already have a student section for basketball?

Good luck to you.

That’s what I was thinking. I don’t want to step on the toes of the band because they practice countless hours for it. I was at the volleyball game this week and there was definitely more people from Gretna than Halifax.

Technically we’ve been the Comet Crazies for years, but they’ve never had any power to enforce it (Changing themes the night before). I run the Instagram sports page for the Comets and there’s plenty of support (mostly cheerleaders and football players) who support it. I was thinking possibly asking if they start giving away tickets for good behavior to get more kids out of illegal activities and have (legal) fun.

Reactions: ClarkeFan83
That’s what I was thinking. I don’t want to step on the toes of the band because they practice countless hours for it.
Thanks for taking the band into consideration!! Why not get the band to play some cheering type tunes that require audience participation? I know tons of bands in college do that.

Reactions: WP02alum
I could be mistaken but I don't believe the VHSL has rules, outside of the generals sportsmanship policy they like to have read at every contest, for fan behavior during contests. Policing of the student sections is the responsibility of the school administration, which follows county/school system policy. A lot of the student section behavior can also be influenced by the senior class student leaders, who are almost always the ones choreographing what the student section does. Good rapport between the school admins and senior class student section leadership goes a long way in that regard. Additionally, I believe the VHSL has certain rules in place for the state level competitions (noise makers, signs, etc.) run by the VHSL itself.
You are correct in everything you said. Other than the blanket rules on sportsmanship, it is outside of the purview of the VHSL to regulate fan behavior at football games. (Sorry Gunz). This includes when the band can play. The responsibility for fan, and/or band behavior is wholly with the host school administration. Typically, the AD sets the rules and enforces them, (but, as you stated, with input from the higher ups).

We have had only moderate success with our student section. The last couple of years have been better, but you definitly benefit when you have dynamic kids taking charge. Some years you do, some years..., not so much.

Like Clarke said, when you have strong interaction between the student section, the band, and the cheerleaders, it always seems to be a lot more popular and successful.

Incidently, the Massaponax student section was pretty darn large and vocal last night. I'm sorry we gave them so much to celebrate, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Reactions: falcettik
You are correct in everything you said. Other than the blanket rules on sportsmanship, it is outside of the purview of the VHSL to regulate fan behavior at football games. (Sorry Gunz). This includes when the band can play. The responsibility for fan, and/or band behavior is wholly with the host school administration. Typically, the AD sets the rules and enforces them, (but, as you stated, with input from the higher ups).

We have had only moderate success with our student section. The last couple of years have been better, but you definitly benefit when you have dynamic kids taking charge. Some years you do, some years..., not so much.

Like Clarke said, when you have strong interaction between the student section, the band, and the cheerleaders, it always seems to be a lot more popular and successful.

Incidently, the Massaponax student section was pretty darn large and vocal last night. I'm sorry we gave them so much to celebrate, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

I knew that the band "could" play, and maybe just thinking it's never been done, but I was meaning as in from speakers

I know of no regulation. There are professional standards of conduct for the PA announcer that the VHSL adopts by proxy from the NFHS. But even that uses words like "should".

I'm sure there is some broad rule that the game officials could call upon if the band, students, PA announcer, etc. were doing something that interfered with the fair and equitable ability for either team to play the game.

Incidently, the rules are different for basketball, and probably all indoor sports.

This just occurred to me. Has anyone ever seen an official high school basketball or volleyball game contested on an outside court? That might be something neat to try. Even wrestling!

last week John Marshall played Bluestone High School in Skipwith. the game was abandoned in the 2nd quarter because of rowdiness in the crowd that spilled over onto the sidelines. JM was ahead 14-0 at the time and that became the final score.

Rowdiness between the two opposing fan bases? Or rowdiness between individuals from the same schools?

Rowdiness between the two opposing fan bases? Or rowdiness between individuals from the same schools?

Trying to keep up with the records to do the playoffs for 2b I read about this game. Apparently a bunch of players from each team were ejected. And Bluestone was forced to forfeit this past Friday

I know of no regulation. There are professional standards of conduct for the PA announcer that the VHSL adopts by proxy from the NFHS. But even that uses words like "should".

I'm sure there is some broad rule that the game officials could call upon if the band, students, PA announcer, etc. were doing something that interfered with the fair and equitable ability for either team to play the game.

Incidently, the rules are different for basketball, and probably all indoor sports.

This just occurred to me. Has anyone ever seen an official high school basketball or volleyball game contested on an outside court? That might be something neat to try. Even wrestling!

That would be something to see. As for regulations, I have no clue. I have seen bands play during the game, and music played through the stadium speakers at times the game isn't going on, and maybe it's not a rule but just have never witnessed that during game play. That is what I was meaning, through those speakers, not personal speakers

I have been at a football game where the opposing teams coaches complained to the officials that the home team band was playing while they were trying to signal calls in and at the line presnap. The official through a flag and the band was issued a warning. It hand to be explained to them how the band playing at that point was viewed as unsportsmanlike.

Trying to keep up with the records to do the playoffs for 2b I read about this game. Apparently a bunch of players from each team were ejected. And Bluestone was forced to forfeit this past Friday
Actually, the superintendent of schools in Mecklenburg forfeited the game to make sure he got his point across, that the behavior being displayed will not be tolerated. There were enough eligible players to field a team this past Friday. There have been ongoing issues at Bluestone for some time now, and a lot of the problems are not being caused by the students. The school administration is basically drawing a line in the sand, and hitting the re-set button. Let's hope it works. After all, it's only the kids that are suffering the consequences.

Actually, the superintendent of schools in Mecklenburg forfeited the game to make sure he got his point across, that the behavior being displayed will not be tolerated. There were enough eligible players to field a team this past Friday. There have been ongoing issues at Bluestone for some time now, and a lot of the problems are not being caused by the students. The school administration is basically drawing a line in the sand, and hitting the re-set button. Let's hope it works. After all, it's only the kids that are suffering the consequences.

Yes I knew that the SI caused them to forfeit, maybe my wording was bad. I just know that the article I read said players from both were ejected

I’m hearing that it is official that Park View and Bluestone will merge in the next 3 years. A new school is being built near Kerr Lake, off of 58. I wonder how this will go. Having family in that area I know that neither side of the county gets along. It’s unfortunate to hear. A few years ago Park View was forced to cancel their basketball season due to fighting neighboring Brunswick County at a Christmas tournament. Not to throw that school system under the bus, but this type of behavior is sadly nothing new to Mecklenburg.

I have been at a football game where the opposing teams coaches complained to the officials that the home team band was playing while they were trying to signal calls in and at the line presnap. The official through a flag and the band was issued a warning. It hand to be explained to them how the band playing at that point was viewed as unsportsmanlike.
I hear you, and I don't doubt what you say is true, but technically, the official cannot throw a flag and penalize a team. It's just not in the rulebook. Don't get me wrong, I think it's extremely unsportsmanlike, but it's an administrative issue, not a VHSL/NFHS matter.

But, I will say this. A good White Hat knows how to handle it. A quick conversation with the AD or Administrator in charge will usually work wonders.

I’m hearing that it is official that Park View and Bluestone will merge in the next 3 years. A new school is being built near Kerr Lake, off of 58. I wonder how this will go. Having family in that area I know that neither side of the county gets along. It’s unfortunate to hear. A few years ago Park View was forced to cancel their basketball season due to fighting neighboring Brunswick County at a Christmas tournament. Not to throw that school system under the bus, but this type of behavior is sadly nothing new to Mecklenburg.
You are right on the money. Ultimately, merging the two schools should lesson the territorial feelings, but they have their work cut out for them. I think if the kids were not so influenced by the adults, everything would settle down. But, that's just wishful thinking, because it's not going to happen just because we wish it would.

From what little I hear of the actual details of the problems, I don't believe it's a racial problem. What are you hearing?

Reactions: ForTheKidz
The band playing during the game is a point of emphasis this year by the VHSL. Bands are not allowed to play during live ball situations.

The band playing during the game is a point of emphasis this year by the VHSL. Bands are not allowed to play during live ball situations.
Per???

Suggested inforcement? Or was it added to the handbook?

Congrats of the great start to the season, Devils. That head coach was a fantastic hire.

Per???

Suggested inforcement? Or was it added to the handbook?

Congrats of the great start to the season, Devils. That head coach was a fantastic hire.
Per Tom Dolan at our VHSL Area Meetings. He said it would be considered a sportsmanship violation and the team could be penalized by officials.

Thanks we’re just trying to get better each week. Play Prince George this Friday at home.

You got a source for this? We’ve been down this road before. Only the home administration can tell any band when to play or not.

Per Tom Dolan at our VHSL Area Meetings. He said it would be considered a sportsmanship violation and the team could be penalized by officials.

Thanks we’re just trying to get better each week. Play Prince George this Friday at home.

You might check if it’s a regional rule. Regions can vote to enforce such a rule, but it’s not something officials statewide can call. Watched a band last week intentionally play a tune very loudly while the opposing team was at the line. No flags. This was Richmond area.

I do recall being told that one of the 757 regions did have such a rule.

But, I will say this. A good White Hat knows how to handle it. A quick conversation with the AD or Administrator in charge will usually work wonders.

I’ve seen a white hat do this in a state semifinal, but the ultimate decision was still with the AD/Principal. The referee wisely knew he couldn’t throw a flag when the band kept at it.

so do you mean two in a row?
Bluestone played JM not this Friday but the Friday before then

You are right on the money. Ultimately, merging the two schools should lesson the territorial feelings, but they have their work cut out for them. I think if the kids were not so influenced by the adults, everything would settle down. But, that's just wishful thinking, because it's not going to happen just because we wish it would.

From what little I hear of the actual details of the problems, I don't believe it's a racial problem. What are you hearing?
Both schools are majority black so race isn’t a sole factor. I think a lot of the problems stems from inherited ignorance. Park View is the successful sibling of the two schools. Academically and athletically superior. I think it’ll be a great opportunity for them when they merge. They’ll be a 4A school and should be able to compete and be better than a lot of the lower of the pack 4A teams, especially with the Park View kids.

@DinwiddieProud the neighboring county, Vance County, right across the state line in Henderson, merged their 2 high schools a few years back and it’s worked fine athletically. They were never really a player in the state of NC until now.

You might check if it’s a regional rule. Regions can vote to enforce such a rule, but it’s not something officials statewide can call. Watched a band last week intentionally play a tune very loudly while the opposing team was at the line. No flags. This was Richmond area.

I do recall being told that one of the 757 regions did have such a rule.
this is a picture of the slide the VHSL provided all ADs at the meeting. It is a point of emphasis in the league office this year.

this is a picture of the slide the VHSL provided all ADs at the meeting. It is a point of emphasis in the league office this year.

Thanks Coach.

That top message is something that has been discussed a lot over the years. Do you know if the Cendral District or Region 4B have a policy about this? What is the policy in your district/region?

Interesting. I read that slide to say that folks can submit a sportsmanship complaint to VHSL if this occurs, not that bands can be flagged by an official. Know what I mean?

I don't understand your question?
I was confused by the question, too.
JM was awarded the win in the first game. Park View received the win via forfeit this past week.
I have not heard anything about this week's game against Central of Lunenburg.

I’ve seen a white hat do this in a state semifinal, but the ultimate decision was still with the AD/Principal. The referee wisely knew he couldn’t throw a flag when the band kept at it.
Interesting. I read that slide to say that folks can submit a sportsmanship complaint to VHSL if this occurs, not that bands can be flagged by an official. Know what I mean?
Im going by what Tom Dolan said in the meeting. I called my band director as soon as got this to make sure we are in compliance.

I’m just very surprised to hear someone say “enforced by the officials” there. Doesn’t make much sense as there’s no rule prohibiting noise currently on the books. Officials are only supposed to enforce the rules. Will they start flagging student sections for beating on buckets now? I’d love to hear about the first official to throw this flag.

I’m just very surprised to hear someone say “enforced by the officials” there. Doesn’t make much sense as there’s no rule prohibiting noise currently on the books. Officials are only supposed to enforce the rules. Will they start flagging student sections for beating on buckets now? I’d love to hear about the first official to throw this flag.
So I had a meeting today with someone else from the VHSL office since our last meeting, and I brought this subject up. There isn't anything on the books which is a concern because of enforcement. Officials have asked coaches to tell their bands to stop and if they continue then they have let the coaches know it will be an unsportsmanlike penalty on the team. They said that usually curbs the behavior. If a team is doing this and it is reported to the VHSL they will be fined.

So I had a meeting today with someone else from the VHSL office since our last meeting, and I brought this subject up. There isn't anything on the books which is a concern because of enforcement. Officials have asked coaches to tell their bands to stop and if they continue then they have let the coaches know it will be an unsportsmanlike penalty on the team. They said that usually curbs the behavior. If a team is doing this and it is reported to the VHSL they will be fined.

Thanks. I would be willing to bet not one flag will be thrown as this is VHSL attempting to create a rule out of thin air. I understand the objections to bands playing during live action, but until there’s a rule, you’re going to have bands playing. Most officials who know the rule book won’t want to be the ones who set that new precedent, regardless of directives from above.

I’ve seen lots of officials threaten bands with a penalty, but never seen a flag because they know it’s an empty threat.

Wonder what the specific issues they referenced were? Whose got the most rogue marching band in Virginia? Lol

Can't the home team receive a flag if the bands halftime performance runs over and the half time clock has expiredand the band is still performing?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT