ADVERTISEMENT

VHSL Top 10's - Written by Matthew Hatfield

These polls would be very hard to make. Especially when you have teams with no common opponents. Seems like after the top 6 or 7 schools the rest is a crapshoot.

Reactions: toughy299
These polls would be very hard to make. Especially when you have teams with no common opponents. Seems like after the top 6 or 7 schools the rest is a crapshoot.
We know Radford and Floyd split. I would still give the nod to Radford for now. Floyd is a good team and will beat Radford again if they are cold shooting. No clue about Brunswick. If Virginia High is the 5th best team in 2A, 2A is way down. At least 2a is represented by the best team in the country.

We know Radford and Floyd split. I would still give the nod to Radford for now. Floyd is a good team and will beat Radford again if they are cold shooting. No clue about Brunswick. If Virginia High is the 5th best team in 2A, 2A is way down. At least 2a is represented by the best team in the country.
#2 Brunswick lost to #2 in Class 1 Franklin the other night and Franklin actually took 2 of 3 games from them this season

Call me an old guy, but it's still weird to me not seeing Mavahi or Staunton (formerly RE Lee) in the AA rankings.

Reactions: AntGZee
Call me an old guy, but it's still weird to me not seeing Mavahi or Staunton (formerly RE Lee) in the AA rankings.
Ok, you are an “old guy!”

Sorry, I couldn’t resist. I can say that because I truly AM and old guy.

Another thing that I find weird is how some once prominent high schools are no more, and others are a shadow of their former status.

Who is the Coach at Brunswick?

Reactions: pizzzzza
Anyone remember Council and the Nuckles brothers? They were tough. Finished with 2 wins last year. Did they consolidate with another school? I cannot find a schedule for them this year.

I also remember Nandua for a few years making noise.

Anyone remember Council and the Nuckles brothers? They were tough. Finished with 2 wins last year. Did they consolidate with another school? I cannot find a schedule for them this year.

I think Council is still a fully functioning independent high school. But, for some reason there is not a boys varsity basketball team this year. I would assume because of low numbers?

Reactions: pizzzzza

Council had a special run with Brad Nuckles. He went on to have a solid career at ETSU. They're still around, but they didn't field a varsity team this year, but I believe they have a jv team. I think they only have like 125 kids in the entire school.

As for Nandua, they too had some great teams, lead by BA Walker, who went onto play at VCU. Hard to believe it's been over 20 years since Council and Nandua had these teams.

Well NOW I don't feel so old after reading these posts! LOL

I remember all these teams/players!

• Haha
Reactions: kwhs95fan
Well NOW I don't feel so old after reading these posts! LOL

I remember all these teams/players!
There were some good teams and players in that time frame. I'm a KW guy and Kenny Mickens was our star. He played at Virginia State and Pfeiffer University. In 2000, New Kent went undefeated and won it all lead by Jamion Christian who played at Mt St Mary's and of course has been a head college coach. Of course Council had Nuckles, but Ryan Rasnake was an unsung hero as well. Also you can't forget the Nichols brothers, Shane and Daris from Radford. Daris played at West Virginia and Shane played at Wofford. Also as I mentioned earlier, BA Walker had a great career at VCU and played professionally overseas. All that talent came through Group 2A in a span of 2 years and I haven't even mentioned all the players from that time frame

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT