ADVERTISEMENT

VHSL Tournament

Both participants in the region championship games host at a super site. Winner is #1 and loser is #2. Consolation (3rd place) winner travels to opposite Region's #2. Consolation loser travels to Region's #1. VSHL has the brackets set. Just have to plug in game times for the supersites.

Thanks for the Links.

Are we down to the loser goes home round yet ? I see teams still playing that I thought lost a 3rd place game last week.

Never really followed basketball. Started following a bit this year and doesn't make much sense. Some teams lose 1 and are out, some teams lose several and are still in.

I remember back when I was in high school in the 90's, one team in 1A (can't remember who it was now) lost every regular season game but one or two, but somehow made it to the district tournament finals, then made it to the regional tournament finals and got into the state tournament with only 5 wins on the season.

Different sport, but Wm Campbell won state baseball championship last spring, going 6-12 in Regular season. But once playoffs started they won games, wasn't like they lost twice a week in a 3rd place game.

Different sport, but Wm Campbell won state baseball championship last spring, going 6-12 in Regular season. But once playoffs started they won games, wasn't like they lost twice a week in a 3rd place game.
Have any teams won the state after losing to the same team in the region final? If you have already defeated the team, why do you have to defeat them a 2nd time in that short amount of time. I am not sure this has happened as I have described it. I do know that a while back Altavista defeated Clarke in the region final, but Clarke ended up state champion.

Have any teams won the state after losing to the same team in the region final? If you have already defeated the team, why do you have to defeat them a 2nd time in that short amount of time. I am not sure this has happened as I have described it.

In 2014 Gate City girls defeated Central-Wise 4 times (twice in the regular season, the conference tourney championship, and the region championship). GC and Wise had to play a 5th time 5-6 hours away at VCU for the title. Wise won the 5th game and the state title.

In 2014 Gate City girls defeated Central-Wise 4 times (twice in the regular season, the conference tourney championship, and the region championship). GC and Wise had to play a 5th time 5-6 hours away at VCU for the title. Wise won the 5th game and the state title.

As you are aware GC_Devils, Union and Ridgeview girls could possibly head down that path this year as well. :)

Ridgeview has defeated Union 5 times this season. They could meet for a sixth time in the title game. However, I don't think Union could beat Ridgeview no matter how many opportunities they get, because Ridgeview has beaten Union soundly all five times.

Martinsville beat Dan River last season for state championship, a week after Dan River beat them in regional finals.....................or maybe it was a 3rd place consolation game.

I not know what solution is, but VHSL needs to find a way, if possible to prevent all these rematches. I seem to recall 2 teams playing 8 times a few years ago. That is _______________________.

VHSL doesn't care, they only care about the extra games because they think they will get extra gate receipts. Not sure how that actually is working out for them.
Gate City plays in Richmond, if they win, it is right back there for the semis the next week. Lot of silly travel

Reactions: GC1
Some schools got screwed, Gate City was one of them.

I believe VHSL should revert back to the old format of tournaments. I recall when every district/region or whatever actually had a tournament site. Non of this single game higher seed host crap . Two or more games were played each night at the selected sites.

The regional finals are just seeding games. However, if your team is one that loses in the regional finals and then goes on to win out to earn a state championship, would that change your view? Or would you rather just finish your season at the regional final with a loss?

The regional final games have been seeding purposes for years in all sports but football. It used to be the same when there was Region A, B, C, D.

Example, Region B would have 2 teams play for the regional final, winner hosted, and loser went to the winner of Region A. While Region B champ would host Region A loser. Same went for Region C and D.

What is different now?

Look at Galax in football for example. Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't they win the state title this year without playing any playoff games at home?

The regional finals are just seeding games. However, if your team is one that loses in the regional finals and then goes on to win out to earn a state championship, would that change your view? Or would you rather just finish your season at the regional final with a loss?

The regional final games have been seeding purposes for years in all sports but football. It used to be the same when there was Region A, B, C, D.

Example, Region B would have 2 teams play for the regional final, winner hosted, and loser went to the winner of Region A. While Region B champ would host Region A loser. Same went for Region C and D.

What is different now?
For me, I think the 4 region winners vie for the State Championship, has nothing to do with who I support. If they win the region then they get to represent, loser goes home. They have already split A into 1A and 2A. Used to be one single A champion, so the VHSL has already doubled the games. I think they should get away from the conference and go back to districts. No district tournaments. Just seed the regions from the regular season based on a point system. Either let the top teams have a bye or have the weak teams have a play in game if that is necessary. That might reduce the number of teams having to play the same teams again. Just a thought.

For me, I think the 4 region winners vie for the State Championship, has nothing to do with who I support. If they win the region then they get to represent, loser goes home. They have already split A into 1A and 2A. Used to be one single A champion, so the VHSL has already doubled the games. I think they should get away from the conference and go back to districts. No district tournaments. Just seed the regions from the regular season based on a point system. Either let the top teams have a bye or have the weak teams have a play in game if that is necessary. That might reduce the number of teams having to play the same teams again. Just a thought.

But remember, when they just had A, AA, AAA, they still did the regional champ game for seeding. Also winner got the bigger trophy. Loser got a smaller one. However, I agree and need to take out the 3rd/4th place game out (those teams are done by their loss) and just focus on the 1st/2nd place teams for the seedings (winner host, loser on the road like it used to be).

Last edited:
So, I think I may go to Richmond next week even if the Lady Wolfpack lose on Saturday. Anyone that has ever been to the Siegel Center, if you stay for the entire session all day, how much do you have to pay to park? Is it better to use Uber and hail a ride from your hotel instead of parking at the venue?

I know when I went to Pittsburgh last year for the NL Wild Card game, Uber came in very handy that night.

If I was in charge...

4 Regions
Each region has a 16 team bracket (therefore, higher seeds would get a "bye") - yes that means every team gets in
Teams are seeded 1-16
All games are neutral
Single elimination

Region champions play at VCU or wherever

Now you've got schools from every part of the state represented in the state tournament...you have no losers winning the whole thing...you have no rematches.

Or just seed the teams 1-64 in each division.

Might as well - considering all the traveling teams are already dealing with!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT