ADVERTISEMENT

Warhill @ Poquoson

LHS Rams

VaPreps Rookie
Nov 29, 2016
Poquoson beat Southampton by 36, who then lost to Warhill by 17...I know comparing scores is dangerous, but I do think the Islanders are a better overall team. It may not be easy, but I say P-Town gets it done by 10....

I really liked Poquoson's defense against New Kent. Them boys brought the lumber! Offensively, they do what they do and do it well. Very good team for sure! I'll be rooting for Warhill but I have a lot of respect for Poquoson.... Very well coached and hard nosed team....

I think Poquoson will have an incredibly difficult time, and so will Warhill. I think this game is a tossup. Warhill is very talented, and has Wheeler at Coach which means Warhill hasn't reached it ceiling yet. Warhill will improve at an alarmingly higher rate compared to most other teams at the 4A level directly because of their Head Coach. I think this game is a nail biter and a 50-50 toss up game.

Poquoson had plenty of time to prepare for Southampton and Southampton was walking into a hornet's nest on the road at Poquoson. Warhill and Southampton came up pretty quick with Bruton cancelling Warhill, and that game was over in Courtland.

It should be a very good game.

I think Poquoson will have an incredibly difficult time, and so will Warhill. I think this game is a tossup. Warhill is very talented, and has Wheeler at Coach which means Warhill hasn't reached it ceiling yet. Warhill will improve at an alarmingly higher rate compared to most other teams at the 4A level directly because of their Head Coach. I think this game is a nail biter and a 50-50 toss up game.

Poquoson had plenty of time to prepare for Southampton and Southampton was walking into a hornet's nest on the road at Poquoson. Warhill and Southampton came up pretty quick with Bruton cancelling Warhill, and that game was over in Courtland.

It should be a very good game.

I'm sure it will be a tough game, but I give Poquoson the edge...they've got everything it takes to have a special season.

Only time will tell if Wheeler will be as good as his father...I actually think Linn might be better than Paul.

This was a physical game, and a good win for Poquoson. Poquoson's LB Max Barrett was the defensive star of the game with something like 13 tackles, 6 for loss.

Reactions: LHS Rams
http://www.dailypress.com/sports/highschool/dp-spt-poquoson-warhill-football-20180924-story.html

A huge factor is Parker's ability to be efficient when teams are begging us to throw it. We can do just that. A huge win against a very good 4A opponent.. For all the running backs out there, use caution when trying to spin inside the tackles when playing the Bulls. There's a certain linebacker that can actually cause injury or harm if he gets a lick on a guy that doesn't have his feet all the way planted after making a spin move. Barrett isn't dirty or anything of the sort, but he is just an absolutely vicious hitter.

A big win for Poquoson...Holmes is good, but Hicks is a better overall athlete.

Poquoson beat Southampton by 36, who then lost to Warhill by 17...I know comparing scores is dangerous, but I do think the Islanders are a better overall team. It may not be easy, but I say P-Town gets it done by 10....

LHS, you were all over this. I had it as a toss up and going down to the final moments in determining a winner. That certainly didn't happen.

Hicks is a freakish athlete. Also, much credit has to go out to our defensive line. We have blown up lots of plays this year including against Warhill with only our guys up front, and I am meaning.....on many plays where we aren't sending a linebacker or a corner and just playing coverage, our defensive line is often in the backfield or getting pressure and that is absolutely huge. It's the reason that about Midway through the season, our first team defense has still not given up a touchdown. Now, I know it's debatable because Southampton had a score in the 2nd quarter I believe when we were up 42-7, but we were already substituting when up 42-7. That's pretty impressive either way you look at it.

We have a tough go of it ahead, but I think we are a major problem for any team in 2A. We can lose, but we can also beat any team in 2A. Our team is talented enough to win the state championship. Sometimes, great technique and coaching can only get a team so far, but late in the playoffs, a team hits a "talent wall" and is just overmatched, and they lose. That's not as issue with Poquoson 2018 assuming our leaders stay healthy. Injuries are a big deal and if any team in 2A, including Poquoson has an injury to one or two of it's best players, it can completely change the season, especially at the 2A level. Hopefully all teams stay healthy and are 100 percent come playoff time.

Last edited:
LHS, you were all over this. I had it as a toss up and going down to the final moments in determining a winner. That certainly didn't happen.

Hicks is a freakish athlete. Also, much credit has to go out to our defensive line. We have blown up lots of plays this year including against Warhill with only our guys up front, and I am meaning.....on many plays where we aren't sending a linebacker or a corner and just playing coverage, our defensive line is often in the backfield or getting pressure and that is absolutely huge. It's the reason that about Midway through the season, our first team defense has still not given up a touchdown. Now, I know it's debatable because Southampton had a score in the 2nd quarter I believe when we were up 42-7, but we were already substituting when up 42-7. That's pretty impressive either way you look at it.

We have a tough go of it ahead, but I think we are a major problem for any team in 2A. We can lose, but we can also beat any team in 2A. Our team is talented enough to win the state championship. Sometimes, great technique and coaching can only get a team so far, but late in the playoffs, a team hits a "talent wall" and is just overmatched, and they lose. That's not as issue with Poquoson 2018 assuming our leaders stay healthy. Injuries are a big deal and if any team in 2A, including Poquoson has an injury to one or two of it's best players, it can completely change the season, especially at the 2A level. Hopefully all teams stay healthy and are 100 percent come playoff time.

Not saying you are wrong, maybe it is just the way it is written and I misunderstand and it certainly doesn't matter, but you said scored 42-7 they scored, how did the 7 happen? Turnover? KR?

Poquoson must focus on one game at a time and not get overconfident with their early success. In my opinion they have a pretty decent shot at going 9-1 and securing home field advantage in the playoffs if they stay healthy. With Tabb, Smithfield and York looming it won't be easy, but it is doable for the Bulls.

Tabb is 1-4 thus far this season, but their four losses have been to quality opponents in Hopewell, York, Lafayette and Smithfield. Tabb had York against the ropes, up 14-0 at halftime, but lost 21-14 in OT, and then gave Smithfield just about all they could handle, so their record is somewhat deceiving.

Like York vs. Tabb, you can throw the records out the window when Poquoson and Tabb meet. Tabb always seems to give Poquoson a tough game and I don't expect this Friday's contest to buck that trend.

If not for Poquoson's success passing the ball, it probably would've been the kind of game you described...a real grind down to the wire.

Hicks is the real deal...even laid Holmes out w/a nice block. He really can do it all...I could see him fitting in nicely w/a solid FCS program, or a mid/lower tier FBS squad.

Poquoson's defense is tough...I don't know that any 2A team would have a lot of success running on them...perhaps vulnerable in the secondary, though.

You're right, sometimes talent wins, but what's the old saying? Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard...Poquoson is fundamentally sound with enough athletes/playmakers to be dangerous. Their kicker is good, too...just a freshman, but I wouldn't be surprised if he won a big game or two for the Islanders.

Check out this link to see "the catch" by Hicks....

https://twitter.com/seniorsathletes?lang=en

Reactions: obguthr
Poquoson must focus on one game at a time and not get overconfident with their early success. In my opinion they have a pretty decent shot at going 9-1 and securing home field advantage in the playoffs if they stay healthy. With Tabb, Smithfield and York looming it won't be easy, but it is doable for the Bulls.

Tabb is 1-4 thus far this season, but their four losses have been to quality opponents in Hopewell, York, Lafayette and Smithfield. Tabb had York against the ropes, up 14-0 at halftime, but lost 21-14 in OT, and then gave Smithfield just about all they could handle, so their record is somewhat deceiving.

Like York vs. Tabb, you can throw the records out the window when Poquoson and Tabb meet. Tabb always seems to give Poquoson a tough game and I don't expect this Friday's contest to buck that trend.

Well said, islandersfan...completely agree!

Reactions: islandersfan
Agree with you LHS and Islandersfan. Regarding Poquoson's secondary or potential vulnerability, I agree 100 percent. An all out wide open passing team with great talent could be an issue. This is why our front 7, and particularity, the defensive line's play as I eluded to earlier is critical. They have played very well, and come playoff time, their ability to get pressure on an opposing passing QB happy offense can greatly help the secondary.

I believe we were just out talented against Lee last year. The technique, determination, hard work, and excellent coaching allowed us to take it to OT and nearly win the game and advance to the state title game. I don't think we are out talented this year by any 2A team in Virginia. That is what makes this team very dangerous because the excellent coaching, determination, technique, and incredible work ethic is there to go along with a team that is a bit more talented, or at least we can say that the talent has greatly matured in one years time. It's not just our leaders and best players that have greatly improved in one years time, but I again credit and am impressed with our lineplay. It's simply better than last year on both sides of the ball

Agree with you LHS and Islandersfan. Regarding Poquoson's secondary or potential vulnerability, I agree 100 percent. An all out wide open passing team with great talent could be an issue. This is why our front 7, and particularity, the defensive line's play as I eluded to earlier is critical. They have played very well, and come playoff time, their ability to get pressure on an opposing passing QB happy offense can greatly help the secondary.

I believe we were just out talented against Lee last year. The technique, determination, hard work, and excellent coaching allowed us to take it to OT and nearly win the game and advance to the state title game. I don't think we are out talented this year by any 2A team in Virginia. That is what makes this team very dangerous because the excellent coaching, determination, technique, and incredible work ethic is there to go along with a team that is a bit more talented, or at least we can say that the talent has greatly matured in one years time. It's not just our leaders and best players that have greatly improved in one years time, but I again credit and am impressed with our lineplay. It's simply better than last year on both sides of the ball
I was going to mention the game in Staunton last year. What a game! It was a shame someone had to lose.

But to your point about pass defense, Poquoson defended the pass better than I expected against the Leemen. They did that by bringing pressure up the middle and containing the edges against a mobile QB. The D-line will indeed be the key.

Unfortunately, I agree that the trend likely will not be bucked. For Tabb, York and Poquoson are their "Superbowls". They seem to be able to do no wrong when we play and incredibly, every dam* player on the Tabb football team including the waterboy and the cheerleaders bring their A game. Even the trumbone player all of a sudden, has a night where he doesn't miss a key. To overcome a rival team like Tabb that has little to nothing to lose and with it be a given they are going to play and perform likely above their heads and out of their minds, we have to do two things to put it away and give them little chance.

1. Do not turn the ball over early!
2. Score touchdowns in the redzone, especially in the first half. We need to put it in the endzone instead of putting up only 3, and giving them a moral victory if we drive 60-70 yds, then settle for a field goal at their 14 yd line. If we do these two early on, especially in the first half, Tabb will be in trouble.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT