ADVERTISEMENT

Week Four Features More Non-District Games for Shenandoah District Teams

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
So far this has not been a good season for the seven Shenandoah District teams. They have faced a wide variety of non-conference games and have struggled in quite a number of them. Everyone has at least one loss and three of the seven teams have not yet tasted victory. So when the district schedule swings into regular weekly action here in the next couple of weeks, it won't be a moment too soon.

Last week I did go 6-0 on my predictions for the first time this season, but those puzzling Wilson Hornets almost crossed me up when they missed a late go-ahead field goal and narrowly lost 14-13 to Spotswood in a much closer than expected game. So with six games on the docket this week, all non-district, let's see if I can repeat that record. It looks like Friday night will have the most comfortable weather yet for football, so if you are local, plan to go out and see one of these games........

BUFFALO GAP AT EAST ROCKINGHAM: At least we have a common opponent to draw from here as the Eagles knocked off Luray on its own field by two scores, and then the Dogs won by a TD at Buffalo Gap. So if you add all of that up, it looks like the Bison will be dropping to 0-4 Friday night.

FORT DEFIANCE AT BROADWAY: The Indians threw a bit of a scare into Riverheads Friday night so they are a team heading in the right direction, meaning that first win of the season can't be too much further away. Still I don't see it this week, so look for the Gobblers to pull this one out, although it may be close.

JAMES RIVER AT STAUNTON: The Storm did exactly what I expected them to Friday night as they hung with Central. So they just might be one of the best 2-1 teams around. If The Knights had to struggle to squeak past Buffalo Gap back on opening night, they will be no match for Staunton. The Storm will move to 3-1 on the season.

LURAY AT STUARTS DRAFT: These two don't seem as if they should be natural rivals but they have had some doozies in the last few years. The Cougars may only be 1-2, but there is no arguing that they have played a tough schedule. Look for them to handle the Dogs this time and still very much be a factor in the district and regional races down the stretch.

WAYNESBORO AT TURNER ASHBY: Based on some of their scores, you kind of get the idea that The Little Giants are playing hard and are doing "some" things right, but yet the wins just are not coming. They will have some shots at wins later in the year but this week will not be one of them.

WILSON AT WESTERN ALBEMARLE: The Warriors don't get too much ink on this side of the mountain but they were once a powerhouse. Must not be the case this year because Spotswood walloped them on their own field and as mentioned above, the Trailblazers just barely squeaked by Wilson. So comparing those scores, I have to go with Wilson in this one, which will set the stage for a much-anticipated trip for Riverheads into the Hornet Hive next week.

AND SPEAKING OF WHICH: After all seven teams were in action each of the first three weekends, Riverheads is the first to have a bye week, and it could not come at a better time for the Big Red. The CCC injury situation is still very much a topic of conversation in and around Greenville, and although the Gladiators have won two games without him and of course nearly beat Central, they are still not the powerhouse fans like to see. So we will learn a LOT about the Big Red next week over in Fishersville. But that will be then and this is now.

So there you have it. The 'Doah will go 3-3 this weekend and then we will get down to some serious business.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
East Rock, the injuries just keep adding up for the young Bison.
I will take Fort over Broadway.
Looking for an offensive explosion from Staunton in beating James River
If Luray is somewhat healthy and not missing key guys for other reasons, I will take them over young Draft.
TA rolls.
Wilson rolls.

BG, couple of gutsy picks you've got there with Fort and Luray, but it is still early enough in the season for us to be sure about who has what.

East Rock over Gap. Gap is down and East Rock hung in there with Central a few weeks ago.

Broadway over Fort. I can actually see this one going either way, but going with the nod to the home team.

Staunton gets to 2-2 with a win over JR. JR is 3-0, but they have not played anyone. Will be close for awhile as the Storm are not as explosive as they have been, but end up wearing down the Knights.

Another one that I could see going either way, but going to go with Luray over Draft. See, even as I type I have decided to switch and go with Draft over Fort.

All I have to say about TA and Waynesboro is Ouch for Waynesboro. TA big

I say the up and down Hornets get another W and outlast Western.

The CCC injury is the talk in several Shenandoah areas with all of the teams wondering when he will return and if they will be lucky enough to avoid him, but even then Riverheads is still Riverheads.

It sure what anyone else is seeing but overall the football this year seems to be sloppy and the tackling is atrocious. That said imo the games breakout like this:

East Rock seems to have an advantage coming in but if the young QB is hurt then I like them less. Gap is young in some spots and have shown that at times. ER close but wouldn’t be surprised to see Gap pull an upset just because they hang around in games like this.

Broadway/Fort could be more interesting than some want to give credit. Miller is a threat to throw or run on every play and I am not sold that Broad has tjr defense to stop the them. The home line is always 3 when teams are even so I will go with the Gobblers here.

Staunton should be able to score in this game and their defense is legit. Long night for James River as the Staunton Storm rains on their chance of victory.

Draft and Luray are Jekyl and Hyde over these first few weeks. The Cougars haven’t found their offensive rhythm against better defenses while Luray has struggled themselves at times. Hate to pick against my alma mater but the Bulldogs win this one in a close game with very little scoring. Race to 14

TA can name their score in this one. Coach Jarvis at Waynesboro has some pieces and parts but they aren’t cohesive right now with a stout Knights team beginning to click on all cylinders hosting.

Wilson traveling to Western should get back in the win column. Some changes to the offense due to injuries for the Hornets should start settling in to these new roles.

Again my opinion is this has been a bit of a down year for fundamental football. Sure hope it’s just a by product of the Covid years and things straighten up over the next couple of years

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT