ADVERTISEMENT

Was reading what LT coach said after game wow.

I think Amherst was D5 when they won a championship in the 90's...I think

They bounced back and forth between 4 and 5 in the '90's. They lost to Spotsylvania in the '94 Div. 4 title game, but won Div. 4 in '95. Crushed Sherando, I think? I know they were Div. 4, though, because they beat Salem in OT in the Region III championship game.

Salem, Cave Spring, William Fleming, Northside, Heritage, and Halifax Co. (and probably a few others) all spent several years in old AAA, in addition to the ones you mentioned. Halifax won Div. 5, I think, in the early or mid-90's. I'm pretty sure both Northside and Fleming lost in the AAA title game (pre-divisions) in the early '80's. And Salem was Div. 6 runner-up in '86. Fleming and Amherst both lost to Hampton in the Div. 5 title game in the '90's.

As far as champions since going to divisions, though - not much. The ones people have said - Glass '88, Pulaski Co. '92, and Halifax in whatever year that was ('95?). Which figures, since there have been so few schools west of Richmond to carry the Div. 5/6 banner. PH of Roanoke won old AAA in '73, in the playoff era but pre-divisions.
Halifax was '91 & D6 Spartan.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpartanOfYore
Can anyone speak to the defensive holding & pass interference rules? Coach Sawyer mentioned multiple times that the rules allow contact (not holding, but contact) until the ball is in the air. Is he right? Can you knock an opponent to the ground (without holding) up until the point the ball is thrown? I imagine there's some nuance to this rule that I'm missing.
Post this in the Ask the Officials forum. I'm sure you'll get a good answer from an expert.

Can anyone speak to the defensive holding & pass interference rules? Coach Sawyer mentioned multiple times that the rules allow contact (not holding, but contact) until the ball is in the air. Is he right? Can you knock an opponent to the ground (without holding) up until the point the ball is thrown? I imagine there's some nuance to this rule that I'm missing.
It is my understanding you can touch a receiver before the ball is thrown if they are considered a potential blocker. You can not, however, hold them. Grabbing a jersey is holding. :) Hence the holding call instead of pass interference on one of the plays.

In Division 6 I think Pulaski County in 1992 and Halifax in 1991 were the last schools to win outside the major metro areas of Va. In D-5 if Culpeper isn't considered part of NOVA they did it in 1999, otherwise you have to go back to 1988 and E.C. Glass.

It is my understanding you can touch a receiver before the ball is thrown if they are considered a potential blocker. You can not, however, hold them. Grabbing a jersey is holding. :) Hence the holding call instead of pass interference on one of the plays.

This is correct. There is no rule that prevents the DB or LB from jamming the WR/TE pass 5 yards. As long as the ball is not in the air pass the LOS, the defense or offense may make contact with the other. They cannot hit the other person in the back or head.

it was a terrible call, he waited until the play was over before he launched his flag 40 yards up the field, he should of thrown the flag was soon as holding had occured, the personal foul penalty was the worst call of the day, a clean block, at the point of the play

it was a terrible call, he waited until the play was over before he launched his flag 40 yards up the field, he should of thrown the flag was soon as holding had occured, the personal foul penalty was the worst call of the day, a clean block, at the point of the play
And the incomplete pass call before half time was a terrible call too. #5 clearly intercepted the ball and LT would have never scored the 7. Bad calls happen. It's a part of the game. By the way, the return was being called back regardless. There were multiple blocks in the back flags on the play. Like I said, bad calls (and call we don't like) happen. You can't change it. You're not the official. You have to put your "big boy britches on" and go play football. A great Salem team won. A great Lake Taylor team lost. Bring on 2016!

Wahee got away with a blatant hold two plays before that and Salem ended up getting stopped on fourth down two plays later regardless... that had no impact on the game. I agree on the PF penalty being bad but two other penalties occurred on the play and were obvious and the play would have come back.

As others have mentioned, the biggest game changing call was missing the interception at the end of the first half... also the PI call a few plays earlier was highly suspect.

Sorry guys, I think the refs did an excellent job. They also knew how LT plays with their DBs. 100% physical contact all the way down the field until the ball is in the air. A big reason Salem only completed 4 passes during the game. I posted about this style of play before the game and it is not a penalty. Do they push the edge? Absolutely. But the refs let the boys play the game and they did it both ways. None of their calls changed the outcome or disrupted the flow of the game. They were a good crew.

Congrats to Salem again but can't we just let go of this pointless discussion.

IMO the refs did not affect the overall outcome of the game so in that sense they were ok. Also, IMO, they made bad calls both ways so you could say they were consistent. Officiating is a tough and thankless job and the men and women who give their time and effort deserve to be treated with respect. Having said that, I do not believe the performance by that crew met expectations for a championship game level. There were too many times where the official throwing the flag was not close to being in the best position to make the call and the actual official with the best view did not throw the flag at all. There was also inconsistency from play to play in what was called(i.e., a penalty on one play was a no call on a later play). I do not know whether the crew was from a single association or a collection who had never/rarely worked together before but, from where I sat it appeared they lacked the communication and coordination that would normally be expected of a championship level crew. I have made similar observations regarding officiating at the VHSL basketball championships where crews are actually mixed. I believe the VHSL needs to examine how officials are assigned to championship events and have onsite evaluators for the championship games to provide the best chance that championship games are officiated at a championship level and that repeat mistakes are minimized. While this one crew is the object of my current observation, my point is directed at the process of assignment and evaluation of crews for championship events.

Reactions: SalemPride
One other observation on the personal foul/excessive force call. The rule is a terrible rule because as written it is very difficult to enforce reasonably, consistently and fairly IMO. I 100% agree with the objective of the rule to improve safety within the game, however, I think the rule needs to be tweaked by a committee of knowledgeable coaches and officials to clarify and make it easier to enforce on a reasonable and consistent basis, especially considering that high school does not have the benefit of instant replay and official review. It also might give the coaches a chance to adequately teach and coach up their kids in practice to reduce the likelihood of a game infraction. I have the same issues with the targeting rule in college, although somewhat minimized in that official review at least allows the chance for review to consider the infraction further. The penalty in the Salem/LT game was another call that had no actual effect on the game outcome as the return was coming back for other infractions even if that one had not been called.

I am almost 100% sure with the exception of basketball there are no mixed crews assigned for the playoffs in most sports football included. The VHSL awards the state assignments to a particular refereeing association and that groups picks the officials. It is also my understanding some associations pick the top crews and some pick the top officials, so you may have a traditional white hat working as an umpire. Some still use the popularity contest (buddies of the commissioner). As a crew chief from an umpire association I know we always send our best rated crews from the regular season and playoffs. The top three rated guys go period. If you are selected by the evaluation committee then you work several early district finals/region games together and polish things up, so the crew can be at its optimal best in the finals or semi-finals. To be honest, the VHSL generally spreads the wealth around and assignments can sometimes be based on geographic locations. I am not totally sure, but think the 3a game was officiated by either the Roanoke or Lynchburg Association. I recognized one of the officials in the crew just don't know what association he works for.

Reactions: mike salem
Sorry guys, I think the refs did an excellent job. They also knew how LT plays with their DBs. 100% physical contact all the way down the field until the ball is in the air. A big reason Salem only completed 4 passes during the game. I posted about this style of play before the game and it is not a penalty. Do they push the edge? Absolutely. But the refs let the boys play the game and they did it both ways. None of their calls changed the outcome or disrupted the flow of the game. They were a good crew.

Congrats to Salem again but can't we just let go of this pointless discussion.

Thank you

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT