• Essex

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters

G MASTER BLASTER W

VaPreps All District
Aug 30, 2012
Who is your Way to early pick to win it all? For me it is either RH who I've gained so much respect for. The fans I had the privilege to meet last season couldn't have been better people. That program runs like a machine they line up and move. Which leads me to point 3 Coaching they are so well coached and it shows. And for the second part of my either pick you know me I have to go with my MAROONS this year's team is so packed with talent even more that last season. They are bigger faster and much more experienced plus we have depth at pretty much every position. So this is my 2 favorite teams going in to the season I really think these 2 could meet deep in the playoffs again. This is my opinion what's your?

Although we are talking football here and my comment is about basketball, I will mention it anyway. I developed the utmost respect for Hurley during those two trips they made to the Final Four at VCU. They had to travel such a tremendous distance but brought a respectable crowd and I thought they were going to lose their minds when they made that one last comeback against Page County.

Although we are talking football here and my comment is about basketball, I will mention it anyway. I developed the utmost respect for Hurley during those two trips they made to the Final Four at VCU. They had to travel such a tremendous distance but brought a respectable crowd and I thought they were going to lose their minds when they made that one last comeback against Page County.
I really don't know how far they can go this year, but they will be better than last year.

Who is your Way to early pick to win it all? For me it is either RH who I've gained so much respect for. The fans I had the privilege to meet last season couldn't have been better people. That program runs like a machine they line up and move. Which leads me to point 3 Coaching they are so well coached and it shows. And for the second part of my either pick you know me I have to go with my MAROONS this year's team is so packed with talent even more that last season. They are bigger faster and much more experienced plus we have depth at pretty much every position. So this is my 2 favorite teams going in to the season I really think these 2 could meet deep in the playoffs again. This is my opinion what's your?
It's 1A football. Could be anyone. One special player or two is all it takes at this level. But, in general, you always go with the historically strong program.

It's 1A football. Could be anyone. One special player or two is all it takes at this level. But, in general, you always go with the historically strong program.

shauntclair, thank you for your inane comment.

I could say the same thing about any sport at any level from Little League to the Pros.

It's the NBA, Could be anyone. One special player or two is all it takes at this level. If you have a Lebron James or Steph Curry on your team, an imbecile coach could win. Didn't the Cavs' Blatt (who some say is a poor coach) go like 30-11 before they fired him?

It's the NFL, Could be anyone. One special player or two is all it takes at this level. If you have a superstar QB like Aaron Rogers, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning (even not in his prime), and so on, the odds of you being a top NFL team are easily predictable.

It's Professional Soccer, I wonder if Messi's team will be any good? How about giving that same team Neymar and Suarez? How about Ronaldo or Zlatan's team? I wonder if they will compete for championships every year?

One or two superstars make the difference in almost every sport at any level. Do you want me to talk about Alabama football? I wonder if they had a special player or two?

Looks like Essex is the early favorite right now. How many do they have coming back from last season? How many do other teams have coming back?

Wythe would be my pick without having any games played. Seems they had the best young team with many returning players, and they went deep last year. Essex will likely benefit more from the addition of Todd Jones return. Should be an interesting year in 1A.

Before 2012 season started, I posted on here that Essex would be in the state game for the next 3 years. They did that. Wish we had won some lol. I picked them to be there again last year but they were knocked off in the state semi game by Galax. Congrats again to Galax on winning that state title. So this year, my crystal ball says........Essex will again be a good bet to make it back to Salem. We took a hit due to graduation BUT we still have a good number of starters returning. Just reloading for another good year of football. Now....another team here in the east to look out for is Sussex. I understand they were very young last year. They fell to Essex in round 3 of the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: gwb16
Wythe would be my pick without having any games played. Seems they had the best young team with many returning players, and they went deep last year. Essex will likely benefit more from the addition of Todd Jones return. Should be an interesting year in 1A.
How will Essex benefit from Jones return?

He has state championship credentials which I believe will help Fulks. Just my opinion

Jones is the A.D. Fulks is the head coach. It's Fulks team not Jones. Both are good coaches but the team is 100% Fulks. Let's not forget, Jones W&L team got beat 3 times in the last 2 years by Fulks team. Two regular season and a benifit game. So a championship credential in '09 means nothing in this day and time. Also remember that when Jones was making his runs at Essex, Fulks was having nice runs at West Point with only 21 or 22 players. Not knocking Jones at all. Just saying he is the AD....period. Both are good coaches and both have been blessed to have had very talented players year in and year out during the 2000's.

Very aware its Fulks team and Jones is AD. It's my opinion that having 2 good coaches, and one who has won a state title is a good thing. If you don't think its a plus, so be it

I respect your opinion. I also see how it would be a plus. But the way things were done over the last year by the powers that be, leads me to believe that benefit you're talking bout won't come into play. To me, it looks like some shady closed door dealings to get Jones back at Essex. I'm not hating on Jones, just calling it as I and a lot of others see it.

Last edited:
Essex Trojan1 our 2 teams have never met to my knowledge. I think it would be a war I really respect your program. How big will yall be this season?

Having viewed Essex under Jones and under Fulks there are two huge differences. Jones' teams were disciplined while Fulks' are not. I'll leave it at that although I could expound on this topic

The Gridiron Guru. I agree with your statement. Things have gotten more in order from when Fulks 1st started at Essex.

G Master Blaster W..... Not 100% on the size but we should still have some. Not across the line like last year, but not far from it. There's gonna be some hogs out there though.

Yeah I remember people saying yall had some monster's up front last season. And was it you guys who had the rb that was like 6'3 240? I think he was a sophomore

He's about 6" 2 240 now and he'll be a sophomore this year coming up. Another sophomore who is 6" 3 260. Played defensive end and tight end last year

Reactions: G MASTER BLASTER W
Them are some big boys lol sounds like we would be well matched up. We are massive across the front on both sides with speed behind it. I think that would be a great game between GW and Essex.

The biggest 2 are a senior around 6'3" 380ish and Sophmore around 6' 390lbs plus

Wow both lines are huge. Both teams have great speed. Should be a barn burner in salem.

GTide10....Lets pump those breaks lol. No one is saying GW will be playing Essex in Salem. We're just bumping our gums about what we have coming back for the upcoming season and what teams across the state that are looking like they can make a run at Salem based on what they have coming back for the 2016 season. Just passing time until the season starts.

Last edited:
Hey man we'd love to have ya come down . Just let me know and I'll save you a spot on the hill. I'll warn you we are a loud bunch lol.

I could say the same thing about any sport at any level from Little League to the Pros.

It's the NBA, Could be anyone. One special player or two is all it takes at this level. If you have a Lebron James or Steph Curry on your team, an imbecile coach could win. Didn't the Cavs' Blatt (who some say is a poor coach) go like 30-11 before they fired him?

It's the NFL, Could be anyone. One special player or two is all it takes at this level. If you have a superstar QB like Aaron Rogers, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning (even not in his prime), and so on, the odds of you being a top NFL team are easily predictable.

It's Professional Soccer, I wonder if Messi's team will be any good? How about giving that same team Neymar and Suarez? How about Ronaldo or Zlatan's team? I wonder if they will compete for championships every year?

One or two superstars make the difference in almost every sport at any level. Do you want me to talk about Alabama football? I wonder if they had a special player or two?
I'm dating myself , but I remember 1980, when Hershel Walker came in as a freshman and led my beloved Georgia Bulldogs to an undefeated season, and a national championship. The year before they lost 5 games (including a major behind kicking administered by a rather average UVA team) and were not even ranked in the top 20 of any poll before the season began.
I know my viewpoint is biased to say the least, but with that said, I think one would have to look long and hard to find a more impactful singular player than Hershel in this particular instance. I'll just end it here with a big wish for the Parry McClure Fightin' Blues to have a great season this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: uvacavs1
That is some beef. Our starting O line will be
6'4 280, 6'5 250, 6'2 260, 6,5 250, 6'2 280
That is some beef. Our starting O line will be
6'4 280, 6'5 250, 6'2 260, 6,5 250, 6'2 280
Holy crap those are some big boys, averaging 6'3" 265 across the front line. You'd have to stick 8 or 9 in the box about every play just to have a chance to stop them from picking up 6-7 yards per play running the ball.

It's 1A Football. A special player or two blows away the opposition because they don't have the talent to stop him. That's 1A Football. If you think Alabama has only one ore two special players, you don't watch the recruiting boards. Pro's have nothing to do with this.

It's 1A Football. The talent level is very low. Sometimes you get an incredible individual with the goods. It remains pure and that's what HS Football is about. They are good for who they play. Play an upper level team and it is a rare day a 1A is more than a bug on a windshield.

But I have to give some credit. Those kids from Essex go out and sling it around and have nothing but heart all night long. They can beat a whole lot of 2, 3 and even 4A teams. They have impressed every time I've seen them and don't know the term "quit".

Consider my argument as inane. Your prerogative. GL on your season.

Last edited:
I do agree 1 or 2 special players can help a team win. But not in every case PH has imo the best rb in 1A football but I highly doubt they will be in title contention. It takes a team at the 1A level just like it does at the others. Now yeah some teams are blown out of the water by 1 special player. But once you get to the meat the teams who can hang around you need a team to beat them.

Reactions: salemfan32
I do agree 1 or 2 special players can help a team win. But not in every case PH has imo the best rb in 1A football but I highly doubt they will be in title contention. It takes a team at the 1A level just like it does at the others. Now yeah some teams are blown out of the water by 1 special player. But once you get to the meat the teams who can hang around you need a team to beat them.
Can't disagree too much. It does take a team to go all the way. But a true next level player in 1A makes a much bigger impact than the schools with 2000. It can make it look like men against boys and they can take you to the promised land.

Last edited:
shauntclair,

I think you somewhat misunderstood my point. I agree with you that often a special player or two can make a huge difference in 1A. My argument is that your reasoning applies to basically all sports at any level.

However, a superstar (yes, even in 1A) does not guarantee success as the G Master Blaster suggested. Parry McCluer's R. Dawson was one of the best Group A players I've seen. PM was a football power but he could not get them to the promised land.

Comparing different levels of sports does indeed make logical sense. Let's take a brief look at Alabama and Ohio State, two of college football's elite programs. Even among teams made up of all super star high school players (as all top college teams consist of), they almost always have to have a really special player or two to reach the top.

To illustrate my thought, I would say that RBs Derrick Henry (Alabama) and Ezekiel Elliott (Ohio State) were "men among boys" even at that elite level.

Lastly, you and some others like to say (sometimes it sounds like a put down) that most 1A teams would get squashed like a bug on a windshield by most 4A to 6A schools.

Well, guess what? The Richmond Flying Squirrels are not as good as the New York Yankees.

You mean the Richmond Kickers are not as good as Major League Soccer teams, which are not as good as the English Premier League teams? I used to love watching the Richmond Renegades, a minor league hockey team. You mean the Renegades were not as good as the Washington Capitals? What? Higher level teams are overall stronger programs with more talent and resources?

Well, no s--t.

Reactions: Gunz41
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT