ADVERTISEMENT

WCYB (Bristol) showing high school football this fall

swva_havok_fan

VaPreps Varsity
Feb 23, 2016
WCYB TV 5 out of Bristol is showing 11 high school football games this fall from Northeast Tennessee and southwest Virginia on their CW network. Here is the lineup:

August 22 -- Greeneville (TN) at Knox Powell (TN) (Thursday night)

August 23 -- Tennessee High (TN) at Dobyns Bennett (TN)

August 30 -- Science Hill (TN) at David Crockett (TN)

September 6 -- Virginia High at John Battle

September 13 -- Greeneville (TN) at Science Hill (TN)

September 20 -- Volunteer (TN) at Cherokee (TN)

September 27 -- John Battle at Patrick Henry

October 4 -- Chilhowie at Virginia High

October 11 -- Ridgeview at Union

October 18 -- Greeneville (TN) at Elizabethton (TN)

October 25 -- David Crockett (TN) at Daniel Boone (TN)

More stations should do this.

You would figure that the Bluefield station (WVVA I think?) would do this with all of the good football in your area between Graham, Bluefield, Mount View and places like that. I think they cover Richlands also?

You would figure that the Bluefield station (WVVA I think?) would do this with all of the good football in your area between Graham, Bluefield, Mount View and places like that. I think they cover Richlands also?

WVVA would rather travel to the depths of West Virginia to cover a team that hasnt won a game then go 45 minutes away to cover their hometown team on the road. I think I recall WVVA showing a game of the week back in the early 80s for a couple seasons. It would be tape delayed and on a saturday. But you are correct and yes Richlands is in their market.

WVVA would rather travel to the depths of West Virginia to cover a team that hasnt won a game then go 45 minutes away to cover their hometown team on the road. I think I recall WVVA showing a game of the week back in the early 80s for a couple seasons. It would be tape delayed and on a saturday. But you are correct and yes Richlands is in their market.

As someone who worked at WVVA in the sports dept., it’s not as easy as many think.

You’re working with limited resources at a station if their size.

Two sports guys, two photogs, and then a few open reporters (who may not know anything about football) are who go.

If you plan right, you can get 2 games a night. First half of the farthest game, 2nd half of the closer one (to the station).

And you HAVE to cover every team at least a couple times. You cant leave a team out just because they are having a bad year. Those kids are still playing their hearts out and like to see themselves on the TV screen once a year.

In any case, there’s a lot more to it than “just following the local team on the road.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT