ADVERTISEMENT

Week 1 Pick em Comments

I hear the same thing every year about Courtland. I'm not drinking the koolade. If Coach Fischer has prepared Louisa to limit the single wing offense, they will win. Courtland needs the game to be low scoring and let their ball control offense play keep-away from the Lions.

I think Louisa has too much offensive potential for Courtland's game plan to work.

I hear the same thing every year about Courtland. I'm not drinking the koolade. If Coach Fischer has prepared Louisa to limit the single wing offense, they will win. Courtland needs the game to be low scoring and let their ball control offense play keep-away from the Lions.

I think Louisa has too much offensive potential for Courtland's game plan to work.

"I hear the same thing every year about Courtland. I'm not drinking the koolade."

I feel that way about both of those teams.

I know it's not listed in the Pick'em, but I wonder what the Loudoun Valley fans think of their chances against Martinsburg this weekend? Alan Fiddler, former Glenville State College coach, and current coach of Patrick Henry H.S., a school that scrimmaged Martinsburg, had this to say about the Bulldogs:

Fiddler is the former head coach of Moorefield HS (WV), where he won 28 playoff games and six state championships, so he knows what he's talking about.

LCA plays Martinsburg in the coming weeks as well.
dyHnsQ

Reactions: padlevel
I know it's not listed in the Pick'em, but I wonder what the Loudoun Valley fans think of their chances against Martinsburg this weekend? Alan Fiddler, former Glenville State College coach, and current coach of Patrick Henry H.S., a school that scrimmaged Martinsburg, had this to say about the Bulldogs:

Fiddler is the former head coach of Moorefield HS (WV), where he won 28 playoff games and six state championships, so he knows what he's talking about.

dyHnsQ
I didn't bother to post that game since it looks like Martinsburg will cruise. I will probably use that as a pick when they play Sherando.

I didn't bother to post that game since it looks like Martinsburg will cruise. I will probably use that as a pick when they play Sherando.

Oh no worries, I don't think I'd have listed the game either. I think there are a few LCA and Valley fans on here though, so I was wondering what their thoughts were.

dyHnsQ

Fiddler's record in West Virginia is undeniably impressive. On the other side of the coin is his record since coming to PH. Starting with Fiddler's first season in 2011, the Patriots - 6A from 2011 until dropping to 5A two years ago - have compiled a record of 11-12 against 5A and 6A competition. Five of those eleven wins came against Franklin County or Halifax County. Fiddler's Patrick Henry teams have failed to win a playoff game, going 0-5 and losing by an average of 26 points.

So, while Fiddler had things figured out in Class A in West Virginia, he seems to have a long way to go towards cracking the code in Virginia's Class 5. None of which means that's he's necessarily wrong about this year's Martinsburg team. They'll probably be very good, if not excellent, from what everyone says.

Reactions: OCBoy

dyHnsQ
LV vs Martinsburg , unless LV has something we all don't know about , it's going to be a "What were they thinking?" moment. I am not buying into this is the best Martinsburg team ever thing , been hearing that all pre- season . I will save that for the end of the season after they have earned it.

dyHnsQ
Lca has martinsburg at martinsburg week 3. Martinsburg beat Lca pretty bad last year

About 35 "pickers" so far, great job! Keep the picks coming in. We still have another day and a half. No Thursday games this week in our contest that I saw. If you participate in 10/11 weeks, you automatically qualify for the playoffs with an equal opportunity to win it all.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I saw a Martinsburg WV city vehicle on I95 in Petersburg this week. Must have been passing through from a recruitment visit around the state.

I see a lot of relatively new forum members posting their picks, and I just wanted to say welcome. We are glad you joined us and look forward to you joining in with us as we discuss the outcome of the games.

The west isn't very weak in my opinion, tired of all this West East stuff each year. The West will always have a team in the championship , and that always giving them a chance to win the championship. The west has done very well since the so called teams that were playing up came back down to 4A. The East has it's fair share of weak teams also. Didn't mean to show disrespect to GW, but GW hasn't been to a championship game in quite some time. And LCA , not worth even mentioning , until they beat one quality team. Salem will be strong as always, but there will also be other very good teams from the west also . Heck Phoebus came down two divisions a couple of years ago, what has happened to them? All I heard before is that they are going to win 3A championships for decades straight. Where is total dominance from them? It hasn't happened . That's why the games are played . It only takes one West team to win the championship every year, so far Salem has stepped up, could be another team in the future.

The west isn't very weak in my opinion, tired of all this West East stuff each year. The West will always have a team in the championship , and that always giving them a chance to win the championship. The west has done very well since the so called teams that were playing up came back down to 4A. The East has it's fair share of weak teams also. Didn't mean to show disrespect to GW, but GW hasn't been to a championship game in quite some time. And LCA , not worth even mentioning , until they beat one quality team. Salem will be strong as always, but there will also be other very good teams from the west also . Heck Phoebus came down two divisions a couple of years ago, what has happened to them? All I heard before is that they are going to win 3A championships for decades straight. Where is total dominance from them? It hasn't happened . That's why the games are played . It only takes one West team to win the championship every year, so far Salem has stepped up, could be another team in the future.
I agree 100%

Reactions: Shruikan
Not really the west has better teams than these two, especially LCA.

This game could unc
Not really the west has better teams than these two, especially LCA.

Idk I think if GW is really strong the west has a new dynamic. I think Glass is up, Cville, GW, maybe even Salem. Then you throw in an LCA that at the very least is servicable, same goes for Woodgrove... add in blacksburg, dominion & Sherando and I think there are some new teams in the hunt this year. As I've said before and undefeated GW is not out of the question this year. I can easily see Charlottsville going 8-2 to 10-0.

This game could unc

Idk I think if GW is really strong the west has a new dynamic. I think Glass is up, Cville, GW, maybe even Salem. Then you throw in an LCA that at the very least is servicable, same goes for Woodgrove... add in blacksburg, dominion & Sherando and I think there are some new teams in the hunt this year. As I've said before and undefeated GW is not out of the question this year. I can easily see Charlottsville going 8-2 to 10-0.
Woodgrove is rebuilding, and young , where Sherando was last year. But you have to look at the schedules . Sherando played two state champion teams last year , and lost to teams with a combined record of something around 43-5 , all the while starting 7 sophomores including the QB , RB , and two WR , on O. If Sherando played a schedule like a lot of teams they would have been 9-1 or 10-0 in the regular season. So what I am saying is , you have to look at quality wins, not just wins.

Reactions: Shruikan
I hate to remind you guys, but there is no longer an east or west. Besides, you are both old west guys debating each other. I havent seen anyone on this board from the old east speak of ill of the West in three years. I have said before and its still a fact today. There are only 4 teams to play for the title since 2013 and Salem is the king right now. No debating it.

There are good and bad teams in each region of class 4. In fact, if you look at the projected top 10 the regions are pretty even. I tend to respect and trust Matt Hatfield's Vapreps staff. They work hard and usually get it right, so heres the proof.

A. Laffayette #3, LT #4 and Kings Fork #7
B. Dinwiddie #2, Monacan #8 and Louisa 9
C. Dominion #5 and Sherando #10
D. Salem #1 and Blacksburg #6

There aint no cupcakes on this list. If this list comes to fruition the region finals and state semis (a v. b) (c v. d) are going to be nasty good.

Maybe one day we will crossbracket and put this old wound/myth to bed for good. Until then Salem has done a good job of disproving it.

Lastly, Hamspear you are right. To this point LCA has done nothing to make me think they will be a threat in class 4. GW, does have a good shot to go undeated and earn a #1 seed. I can tell you first hand it aint easy winning in Danville in the playoffs.

It all starts tomorrow night. Lets have some fun!

Last edited:
All I am saying is if GW is undefeated that will have a major effect in seeding on the "left" side of the state. Its not really debatable. I think hammy is misunderstanding. Not saying who is the best. Just like KF has the potential to change the playoff tragectory for those teams in the 757 and 804. I like that there are going to be a few more teams in the discussion this year.

I tell you what, I think Cutnjump said it best 2 or 3 years ago.. GW is only good as their home field in the playoffs takes them. Mbonape, bro you're 100% correct and so are you BN. With the rider points, GW could very well get the 1 seed. Big stretch, but very possible. I think Mbonape had a very solid point.. If GW wins big tonight (which I believe LCA is going to be better than what we give them credit for) then watch out! If they take GW to the wire then I doubt GW will go undefeated and probably JF , Amherst or MV will beat GW (8-2 season)..If GW loses then me and Lewis will rightfully hear O V E R R A T E D all year and I'll have to hop on the Dinwiddie and Monacan bandwagon lol!! This is the most spectaculation that I've heard out of Danville since 07 when we had all of our studs including David Wilson aka the 4th best GW team not to win a state championship. We're not trying to have what ifs this year. Us Danville fans are encouraged that we'll be in the thick of things this season. Good luck to everyone tonight!

Last edited:
LCA will definitely be no pushover. They should come ready to play. GW looks MUCH improved from last year. If I wasn't going to City Stadium to support my Toppers, I'd be at that game.
A lot of factors are to LCA's way tonight. A lot is in GW's. The stadium will be a huge adjustment to our guys like Coach Anderson said. Huge place! We've never played in a big stadium before. I think LCA will probably be the most disciplined team we see all year. We can't be out there running off at the mouth. If we handle those things and stick to the game plan then we should take care of business. LCA, hate them or love them, is a fine program and will be ready to play.

Damn... the rich get richer. Surprised he didn't enroll at Hermitage.
Ouch!!!!

3 really good games tonight that are going to tell us a little about the Class 4 Region D Landscape:

Salem at Amherst
Charlottesville at EC Glass
GW Danville at Liberty Christian

I agree. Going to fun watching the ole twitter feed tonight. Everybody remember to charge their phones up before you head out tonight. Especially you Bleeding Navy. I swear, I have never been anywhere with that man that his phone didn't go dead!

Is there a matchup in the east that is interesting tonight in 4A? Sort of interested in Louisa vs Courtland but not extremely. Is there anything else that might be of major consequence?

DP, you finally told the truth about me. I have two extra portable chargers ready to go for tonight and I am bring my laptop. I am not going to miss a thing. I am wasting my time today at work. My mind is on one thing and its not fighting crime. lol I did make a huge mistake and went to Starbucks this morning. I am so jacked up I almost blitz the Commonwealth Attorney. I guess I would get 15 yards for roughing the prosecutor. Good luck to all the teams tonight except Denbigh.

Other than the Courtland vs. Louisa game there are no real tough matchups. I find this game interesting, but I think Louisa wins by at leas a couple of scores. HSHS vs. Hermitage is the big one in Richmond ad Bishop Sullivan and Oscar Smith have tough games tonight at the beach.

Reactions: mbonape1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT