ADVERTISEMENT

Week 15 comments.

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
mp, I'm a little surprised you took Hopewell. Of course, I haven't seen SR, but they sure are a scoring machine. It's hard for me to believe that the Blue Devils can match them score for score.

Which game are you attending Saturday?

Hey guys, don't forget to post your picks. Are we seeing a little late posting "gamesmanship"?

Is Mike OK? Rather not start a thread so thought I'd just ask here.

And SR can be stopped, just need a stout D to do it. Same with Blacksburg. Phoebus is probably the worst case scenario for both teams to face.

Is Mike OK? Rather not start a thread so thought I'd just ask here.

And SR can be stopped, just need a stout D to do it. Same with Blacksburg. Phoebus is probably the worst case scenario for both teams to face.
Mike is better. A good report from his doctor Friday, and a Salem win will go a long to making him feel much better by Saturday!

If Mike can physically travel to Williamsburg next Saturday, regardless if Salem wins or looses, I intend to reach out to you gals and guys like we did last season, and raise a little money to defray his cost to rent a van. I'll let everyone know sometime Saturday.

(It hasn't been proven yet, but the rumor is that Mike spent all of his money last Friday night, celebrating with wine, women, and song. Plus a couple of gourmet cigars,)

mp, I'm a little surprised you took Hopewell. Of course, I haven't seen SR, but they sure are a scoring machine. It's hard for me to believe that the Blue Devils can match them score for score.

Hey guys, don't forget to post your picks. Are we seeing a little late posting "gamesmanship"?

Yeah I had to take Hopewell. Probably just the 804 homer in me. I do know that Hopewell has played a tough schedule. I know SR puts up a ton of points... but again I have no idea who they are playing or how good those teams are.

I see that they lost to William Byrd who I know played Salem tough but I don't think they are a top 20 team in the state regardless of classification.

When I look at Hopewell I see they played Dinwiddie, Meadowbrook, Played TD tough and a few others. I am rolling with Hopewell for the upset!

I guess you know better than anybody on Hopewell.. You think SR is marketably better?

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead

BTW I had to scramble with that Appomattox vs Goochland pick. I wanted to take Goochland just couldn't muster up the courage lol.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Like most over our way, I don't have any first hand knowledge of SR. The loss to WB may not be more than an "outlier" though. For all intents and purposes, Basham defined Byrd. If you could control him, you could win the game. But if not, he could singlehandely beat you. I haven't looked at the stats for that game, but my guess is SR just had no answer for Basham.

Hopewell doesn't have a Basham. They are dependent on a few top players, but it would be hard for them to beat you with any one stud. I just think if SR makes a track meet out of it, they win.

I just have to go with Appo. They have a little recent history of big games to draw from. It's been a few years since Goochland was the top dog, so these kids may be a little star struck. Appo has won 28 in a row. That counts for something. As far as the X's and O's, I'm not sure how they match up from that perspective.

SR/WB was played during the weekend of the hurricane. It was a total slopfest on Byrd's natural field and while that didn't entirely stop Basham (although I doubt he did his usual damage) it did kill SR's O. Now, Byrd has a great D and would win a rematch on dry grounds I would think but it would probably be a pretty good shootout. Everyone plays in the same slop but they're not always equal for it.

Reactions: mbonape1
SR/WB was played during the weekend of the hurricane. It was a total slopfest on Byrd's natural field and while that didn't entirely stop Basham (although I doubt he did his usual damage) it did kill SR's O. Now, Byrd has a great D and would win a rematch on dry grounds I would think but it would probably be a pretty good shootout. Everyone plays in the same slop but they're not always equal for it.

So SR is the real deal huh.. I know they have had a hell of a season so far. Be interesting to see how this game turns out with Hopewell playing primarily 5A & 6A schools all year. BTW where is Basham going to school? He is all I hear about on this board. I totally agree the slop field isn't equal to all teams lol.

I also think Byrd wins that game regardless of conditions. They were so strong in the front 7 and SR didn't have the style of offense to take advantage of the WB secondary.

Hopewell defense will have to be very strong up front and very disciplined. Byrd had both of those qualities. If you are not disciplined up front they will run wild. However, Staunton River not great defensively, they will give up points.

Since a few people have mentioned it, here's a link to the Roanoke Times article on the SR - WB game:
http://m.roanoke.com/sports/high_sc...87b-efb7-546e-9548-4301f46e8fd0.html?mode=jqm

Rushing for the primary players:
SR: Overstreet 21-100; Jones 10-31.
WB: Basham 30-189; Watson 12-61.

I've said it before, but add me to the chorus who thinks Byrd would beat SR under any conditions. No, Byrd's not top 20 in the state overall, but they're legit top ten in 4A.

Since a few people have mentioned it, here's a link to the Roanoke Times article on the SR - WB game:
http://m.roanoke.com/sports/high_sc...87b-efb7-546e-9548-4301f46e8fd0.html?mode=jqm

Rushing for the primary players:
SR: Overstreet 21-100; Jones 10-31.
WB: Basham 30-189; Watson 12-61.

I've said it before, but add me to the chorus who thinks Byrd would beat SR under any conditions. No, Byrd's not top 20 in the state overall, but they're legit top ten in 4A.
Top 8

Byrd's legit this year. Salem beat them with a stifling defense and just enough offense. If you're a 4A team that ends up in shootouts you might not like the results of a game against Byrd.

Looks like next year WB could be the talk of the west with Basham returning?

Byrd should be good but they lose a lot of their good lineman that made them special. Blacksburg returns a bunch, they should be good. Salem will have to replace a very very good QB but they should be good again next year, we will have to wait and see if they become a special team

@HoosFan05 , that Dominion pick?:eek:o_O:D, it really was a nice pickem playoff run for you....:)
Actually, I think it was an admirable pick. it may be a shooting star but no one will forget it if it's wrong and it becomes immortal if it's right. Gotta' give him kudo's on this one.

Actually, I think it was an admirable pick. it may be a shooting star but no one will forget it if it's wrong and it becomes immortal if it's right. Gotta' give him kudo's on this one.
Could happen. I think it's a one score game

Looks like next year WB could be the talk of the west with Basham returning?

As southbottom indicated, Byrd will lose a lot to graduation. Aside from Basham, almost all of Byrd's key guys are seniors. This includes the two outstanding two-way linemen Kasey and Williams, and the qb Watson, who performed so effectively in tandem with Basham. The Terriers will be in dire need of another offensive threat to take the heat off of number 4. However, they won't be playing Salem next year. I don't know about the rest of Byrd's schedule, but I would think off the top of my head that they should be able to notch at least seven wins in the 2017 regular season.

Could happen. I think it's a one score game
I also think closer than people think but I still have Salem in the end. Just too fundamentally sound and well Coached. I just find it difficult to conceive the Spartan's letting McCants beat them on his own. He is a special player who may just out athlete them but I believe the entire Salem game plan will be geared to making sure that if a loss does occur, it will not be McCants that orchestrates it.

Yeah I had to take Hopewell. Probably just the 804 homer in me. I do know that Hopewell has played a tough schedule. I know SR puts up a ton of points... but again I have no idea who they are playing or how good those teams are.

I see that they lost to William Byrd who I know played Salem tough but I don't think they are a top 20 team in the state regardless of classification.

When I look at Hopewell I see they played Dinwiddie, Meadowbrook, Played TD tough and a few others. I am rolling with Hopewell for the upset!

I guess you know better than anybody on Hopewell.. You think SR is marketably better?

No problem with supporting a team from your area. It just didn't work out that way this week. Hopewell is growing weary of the cross bracketing that has sent them west, and down to defeat, two years in a row now, I believe, (Lord Botetourt last year?)

Congratulations to ridge98 for being the only one that got the Blacksburg game correct on the Pick-em.
Thank you sir! I watched both teams on youtube and phoebus just looked bland on offense, and i dont think their defense has been tested in the playoffs. Their competition just wasnt that good. Blacksburg still riding that roller coaster and beck can flat out fly. The same with hopewell. I know after seeing SR live hopewell would struggle against that wing. Especially that being the first time they faced it.

No problem with supporting a team from your area. It just didn't work out that way this week. Hopewell is growing weary of the cross bracketing that has sent them west, and down to defeat, two years in a row now, I believe, (Lord Botetourt last year?)
Doesnt the cross bracketing stop the next cycle? If not it needs to, because the way 3a east is, phoebus will always be that number 1 seed and their side of the bracket i just dont see those schools beating phoebus. So the bottom half will always travel, not fair i think. Plus you will have a east and west final.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I have not heard anything about what 3a will do starting next year. It all depends on what the new region membership wants to do. As has often been pointed out, it's NOT a VHSL management decision. All they tell the membership is "to send us teams for the semi-final and final, how you get there is up to you".

I suggest to everyone, let you school AD and Principal know how you feel about your playoff format.

Yeah it looks like Stanton river is really just that good. I don't know what is happening at Hopewell but they are just so inconsistant even from game to game.

Yeah it looks like Stanton river is really just that good. I don't know what is happening at Hopewell but they are just so inconsistant even from game to game.
4th best team in SW VA. The three that are better ( put them in any order you like) Salem, Appomattox, Byrd----- we will find out if there are four, Blacksburg.

Reactions: mbonape1

Agree, if you could only use a few words to describe Hopewell, inconsistent would certainly be one of them.

Reactions: wikki
4th best team in SW VA. The three that are better ( put them in any order you like) Salem, Appomattox, Byrd----- we will find out if there are four, Blacksburg.
I believe it will be Staunton River

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT