ADVERTISEMENT

Weekly VISAA Football Poll

thanks for posting, but I have a question... It has 3 teams listed as not participating (Woodberry Forest, Episcopal, and Bishop O'Connell), what is the deal with that?

Bishop O Connell competes in the WCAC and their conference final regular season game conflicts with the first week of the VISAA playoffs. Episcopal and Woodberry Forest play in "The Game" every year which also conflicts with the first week of the VISAA playoffs.

Will do you know why scheduling points taken out?

Will just curious to see if you know the reasoning behind taking the "scheduling points" out of the calculations this year? VISAA has always encouraged teams to play up when they schedule out of conference games by offering "scheduling points" to teams who lose to a team from a higher division. For instance, Blessed Sacrament played Bishop Sullivan in week 1, and in the previous years, they would have been awarded half of the points (5) for scheduling a higher division team who is not in their conference.

Re: Will do you know why scheduling points taken out?

Not sure. I'll see if Metro or someone from the VISAA will explain the change.

Re: I'm not certain...

I'm not certain about the reasoning why those points were removed from the system. But from my long years of paying attention to how this works, I can tell you that those points have not always been part of the system. Not even close. They were added in the 2013-14 classification cycle, so they had only been part of the system for two seasons.

Now, "bonus points" have always been part of the system (as far as I know). Those reward you for playing up IF the higher-division team finishes with a good record. Those points aren't added till the end of the season in the final ratings. Many times, a team that was hanging around 5th or 6th would suddenly jump into the playoffs in the last week because they got a lot of bonus points at the end.

So if Bishop Sullivan finishes 9-1 (or 8-2 or 7-3), BSH will still get some points at the end of the year. They won't get 5 like they used to, but they will get some. But if Bishop Sullivan finished 1-9 with their only win being against BSH, BSH would not get any points for that loss.

The VISAA has launched a shiny new web site since I last looked, and they have the points system outlined on the "Sport Guidelines" page under Football.

Football Sport Guidelines from VISAA Web Site

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT