ADVERTISEMENT

Well 4A is going to form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ag
Defending an offense like JF requires a defense to be "assignment sound" or in the words of Belichick; "Do your job" and reinforce that with, "do it well". Triple option is predicated on "give and take", so your ducks better be aligned properly or JF will most certainly take! Is it invincible? No, but it's certainly not an easy out. Jones and Miller represent a tremendous task to slow down. You can stop thinking about stopping them.... IMHO, in order to beat JF, one needs to slowed them down not to get in a track meet. In order for Salem to win, they need to get situational stops and punts, not keeping up with the Jones' (good pun?) so to speak.
I agree, it is silly to think JF's offense can be stopped. You have to try and slow them and not give up the home run. Easier said that done. 12 other teams haven't been able to do it yet.

Defending an offense like JF requires a defense to be "assignment sound" or in the words of Belichick; "Do your job" and reinforce that with, "do it well". Triple option is predicated on "give and take", so your ducks better be aligned properly or JF will most certainly take! Is it invincible? No, but it's certainly not an easy out. Jones and Miller represent a tremendous task to slow down. You can stop thinking about stopping them.... IMHO, in order to beat JF, one needs to slowed them down not to get in a track meet. In order for Salem to win, they need to get situational stops and punts, not keeping up with the Jones' (good pun?) so to speak.
You know there are two other backs in this game----Clayborne and Ramsey

I would venture to say Clayborne and Ramsey are just as good as the JF backs. I know they have the speed to match them.

Last edited:
I would venture to say Clayborne and Ramsey are just as good as the JF RB.
Not taking anything away from Ramsey and Clayborne but, I have seen both teams play several times the last two years and I have to say, Navy is probably the best player in 4A west. That's not underestimating the two backs from Salem at all. Navy is a special type of player! And I'm not a JF or Salem fan, that's just my observation

Reactions: one man and wikki
You know there are two other backs in this game----Clayborne and Ramsey
No doubt... Ramsey and Clayborne are very good backs. One might venture to say "special". No disrespect to these 2 at all! The difference being the "essence" of triple option. Jones or Miller? Check? Ok, who is gonna carry? Play the assignment and if something breaks down, they get to the house. Ramsey and Clayborne work in a totally different scheme. It's doesn't take 11 guys to defend the I Formation... The one saving grace is Salem's ability to throw down field. Swallow that pill after watching Woodgrove have some success throwing against JF and you have the makings of a good game! Did I just talk myself into another argument for a solid ball game?

Reactions: VolNation85
The way JF db's have been with INTs the past 4 games, I'd be thrilled if Salem threw a bunch. Or DBs will give a few first downs no doubt but they will create takeaways as well. 21 interceptions on the year.

Surprise! Surprise! Jefferson Forest, Courtland and Lake Taylor advance. I've gotta have my money on Salem to join them. I think this will be an exciting final 4, and I don't think it's a cake walk for LT.
Naw LT is 2 games away. Two blowouts are coming up.

LT is the HUGE favorite to win it all again this year no matter which team they face from the West. Both Salem and JF would have to play near perfect games and hope LT brings their B game to have much of a chance. I for one don't mind being the underdog. Just makes it feel that much better if you are able to shock the world!

LT is the HUGE favorite to win it all again this year no matter which team they face from the West. Both Salem and JF would have to play near perfect games and hope LT brings their B game to have much of a chance. I for one don't mind being the underdog. Just makes it feel that much better if you are able to shock the world!
I guess last years game didnt make you a believer in Lake Taylor ?

Second place is nothing but something to build on. And I think it's silly that everybody is counting the west out already. Absolutely ridiculous

Second place is nothing but something to build on. And I think it's silly that everybody is counting the west out already. Absolutely ridiculous
Give me a reason why shouldn't I based on the last two years?

Take the offense and set it aside. You have to eliminate the explosive plays in the kicking game for JF. Just onside kick everytime and you will have an opportunity to steal possessions from the Cav offense. When you punt....punt it out of bounds. The Cavs are gonna get theirs on offense and Salem will too. I doubt either teams DC will be sending this film out when they interview for HC jobs.

Not really...but you are talking like you playing for the ship even though next week is ur state finals.
As the great Cris Carter would say... "Come on man!" Seriously buddy learn to read the meaning of a post before replying. Did you really not see where I said that LT was the huge favorite regardless of who comes out of the West? And yes we are talking about playing for a "ship" because 2 teams will be in the next couple weeks. Am I missing something here??

Last edited:
Speak
Would you like for someone to contact Ken Tilley and have him send the trophy to
1 Cavalier Circle, Forest, VA 24551??
Speaking of Ken Tilley, I just read an article that he is retiring at the end of next June.

As the great Cris Carter would say... "Come on man!" Seriously buddy learn to read the meaning of a post before replying. Did you really not see where I said that LT was the huge favorite regardless of who comes out of the West? And yes we are talking about playing for a "ship" because 2 teams will be in the next couple weeks. Am I missing something here??
First you giving the "shock the world" statement...now you backing off. In my mind LT's B game beats you by 12-15. Their A game will give you something like 41-16.

No sir.... No no.
Clayborne is as fast as Jones. Miller is 15 lbs bigger than those guys, not quite as fast but still really quick. Ramsey is 216, definitely not as fast as the other 3, but he will run you over, hurdle you, spin on you and get the nasty yards. For his size he's pretty quick.

Reactions: close2salem
The way JF db's have been with INTs the past 4 games, I'd be thrilled if Salem threw a bunch. Or DBs will give a few first downs no doubt but they will create takeaways as well. 21 interceptions on the year.
Salem mixes the run and pass pretty well. Beckley only has 5 interceptions on the year. Has a good arm, pretty accurate, high completion percentage, and can also run.

Salem mixes the run and pass pretty well. Beckley only has 5 interceptions on the year. Has a good arm, pretty accurate, high completion percentage, and can also run.
Seem like it should be a high scoring affair. JF by 12 is my guess.

Last edited:
First you giving the "shock the world" statement...now you backing off. In my mind LT's B game beats you by 12-15. Their A game will give you something like 41-16.
Where do you see me backing off the "shock the world" statement? I stand by the fact that if Salem/JF were to beat LT it would shock the world. Also, we will have to agree to disagree about the score if Salem/JF plays flawless and LT plays their B game. You do realize that if Salem/JF plays flawless they probably score over 40 points?

Last edited:
The entire DL doesn't have to worry about misdirection, they just have to be aware
Or you just failed to read it properly the first time and now you are backtracking.

Reactions: SalemPride
I really get the full understanding of why some people despise Salem fans...haven't won anything in what...about a decade? But you still talk like you are king of the mountain?

Reactions: wikki
I have to say that Woodgrove was pretty physical too and moved the ball against JF. I watched the whole game yesterday. But that JF offense is so hard to stop. Woodgrove would make some plays and then BOOM! Gone and untouched to the end zone. I don't recall seeing anything quite like it before. You don't even know who's got the ball until the guy is 10 yards past the line of scrimmage. The misdirection and faking is that good. Almost like magic. They will rep the West. I don't care who wins between Champe and Salem because it won't matter.

I was impressed with Woodgrove vs. Millbrook. It was earlier in the season but I tracked them and knew they could make a run. Still work to do and that misdirection is tough if you haven't seen it a lot. Hard to simulate in practice.

I call it selective amnesia Wikki lol
I really get the full understanding of why some people despise Salem fans...haven't won anything in what...about a decade? But you still talk like you are king of the mountain?
Yes there are those who hate Salem and I guess you are now on that list. This is terrible news to the Salem community and there might have to be a City Wide meeting at the Stadium to consider this terrible news. In fact this is so important to us that we plan on meeting every Friday night next fall for about four or five months to consider your opinion.

Reactions: salemfan32
stopcop.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT