ADVERTISEMENT

Western vs Louisa game

Feb 6, 2012
Ugly ending to that game. Hope the Hearn kid is ok, great player, nice kid. What happened with 15 seconds left?

http://m.dailyprogress.com/sports/w...2f2-7478-11e5-a1e7-1754494cc185.html?mode=jqm. According to the article he got hit well after handing the ball off. doesn't tell of what type of injury. The game was over why not just take a knee? Very unfortunate, hope he is ok.
Wow sounds like western did whatever they wanted offensively last night. They ran the ball the threw the ball pretty balanced. I am waiting for all these stud players that were hyped up for the past two years to step up. Heard a lot of noise about getting things back on track through these kids who are now juniors and results don't seem to be adding up. Skynard where are they you were on that wagon two years ago?

I wanted to wait until I got some sleep and calmed down before posting, or I would've said a lot more. Western looked very good, Louisa looked okay. It seems like the Lion defense held Western to no gain or losses on 1st and 2nd downs most of the night, then gave up huge plays on 3rd downs. Quinton Ragland had another huge night, the one bright spot. He's for real. Western QB Hearn showed how much of a Warrior he really is, scampering and turning on the jets on 3rd down for 57 yard TD run, after getting hit a LOT all night. I hope he will be okay, with him Western could win 3A. But why was he still in the game with a minute left, after getting hit all night, with the game decided and Louisa having backups in?

Snooka those players you're talking about are sophomores. Sorry but they and everyone else are gonna pound on the Flucos for the foreseeable future, so if you wanna continue to be a Negative Nancy about Louisa and the JD because of that, then whatever makes you happy.

Looks like our coaches have given up on installing any passing game and trying to develop a QB. First round exit if they get in. I look for more receivers to quit or transfer if this keeps up. There's no reason to keep #11 on the sideline almost all game and have 11 players in the box all night with Malik Bell as "QB".

Louisadad was the announcer for the night, filling in for our regular.

Last edited:
GL against Monticello
Not negative truthful. Western is only team in our district that can make a deep run, and I may even say Monticello. The rest won't and most likely that trend will continue. Your biggest loss this season was the qb going to fuma. Say what you want he was your best option to throw the ball. As to beating us you should we are at the bottom, but I am not coming out hyping up 8&9th graders either. All the talk about players two years ago when they were young from you and skynard I have yet to see results. Just because you beat sisters of the poor does not mean you have good players. You can't be bitter being 5-5 everyone saw this coming including your self at the beginning.
Also I doubt coaches have given up. I don't think I have ever met a coach who is going to give up. Most coaches are ultra competitive and I have seen your coach on the side lines and read article about his teams he would never quit or give in whatever you want to call it. Hoos stay positive but sometimes you have to call it as it is. No high school team can win all the time just like we can't lose all the time. You guys are not in a good cycle. At least it's not as bad as ours. How's that for being a negative nancy

Reactions: gwb16
That QB isn't even playing at FUMA. You can claim the rising freshman QB was a player we never had and therefore not a loss, but if you had watched him you would know he was a game changer and a much bigger loss by going to Woodberry (starts at receiver, #85) than the FUMA kid.

I will so-called "hype" players up as long as I am around, because at least with Louisa there's hope every year.

Speaking of transfers, we just got one from Covenant. I think he'll be eligible to play next week.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
all those puppies most soph. are leading the team. Malik Bell Raquan Jones and oh by the way Job Whalen close to leading the JD in rushing speak for theirself. Quinton Ragland is a beast and only a junior! I have only seen them a couple games but from what I have seen and heard and read the defense is letting them down. but most of them are puppies so i'm still here and ain't hard to find. I live by my predictions in the next couple of years people will know who the Louisa football is! by the way they might not want to play them by seasons end if these puppies mature and the defense starts to jell. don't crow to soon friend they still are in the playoff mix.
Waiting for results and still have to have a line. The kid at fuma had an ankle injury and I think he would have helped hoos. He would be a sophomore this year. Yes you do have hope, but your better cycles are behind you right now. I even mentioned to you early in season Louisa has to be able to throw better and you assured me they were better at passing and that the Bell kid could throw it as well. Louisa really has never passed well and really never stopped the pass. You and skynard maybe correct about these sophomores but you both act as if other teams are old. Western is the most experienced team in the district, but after that other JD teams are not full of seniors. I just am waiting for results. Alot of stats for individuals but not a lot of wins. The walen kid is solid, after him though the rest are big and SLOW. Saw enough of number 5 big but slow.

Wow sounds like western did whatever they wanted offensively last night. They ran the ball the threw the ball pretty balanced. I am waiting for all these stud players that were hyped up for the past two years to step up. Heard a lot of noise about getting things back on track through these kids who are now juniors and results don't seem to be adding up. Skynard where are they you were on that wagon two years ago?
Snookasuperstar if you looking for me I am still here! I aint hard to find! the Lions IMO are pretty much on course of what I expected! most the statistic leaders are puppies. Malik Bell Rayquan Jones and Job Whalen only sophmores. oh by the way i haven't seen the JD stats but Whalen is close to or is leading the JD in rushing! Bell and jones are playing well but IMO Bell is not playing in the right position. Quinton Ragland is playing like a beast on defense and just a junior! the biggiest problem i see is their defense but most of these puppies are on the defense. they have been a play or two away from winning a couple they lost so i am not disappointed at all. these sophmores are loaded with talent and like i said before the next couple of years the JD better beware of Louisa and maybe by seasons end these puppies will jell and they will be feared by seasons end! before you start bashing them they are still not out of the playoffs yet and i think that speaks well of this young team!

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
Snookasuperstar if you looking for me I am still here! I aint hard to find! the Lions IMO are pretty much on course of what I expected! most the statistic leaders are puppies. Malik Bell Rayquan Jones and Job Whalen only sophmores. oh by the way i haven't seen the JD stats but Whalen is close to or is leading the JD in rushing! Bell and jones are playing well but IMO Bell is not playing in the right position. Quinton Ragland is playing like a beast on defense and just a junior! the biggiest problem i see is their defense but most of these puppies are on the defense. they have been a play or two away from winning a couple they lost so i am not disappointed at all. these sophmores are loaded with talent and like i said before the next couple of years the JD better beware of Louisa and maybe by seasons end these puppies will jell and they will be feared by seasons end! before you start bashing them they are still not out of the playoffs yet and i think that speaks well of this young team!
Are they young? Their entire offensive line are seniors. The only game they lost by a play or two was albemarle. The othere losses have been by 20+. Young puppies better find an offensive line. Yes walen close to rush yards but when you have games of 40, 35, and 25 carries in games you are going to get some yards. Not knocking that kid and I am not knocking other kids either. I just don't see results is all I am saying.

Yeah Ragland is and was a beast, he also played on the offensive line last night. The defensive line played as well as ever, most of Western's big rushing plays came from our linebackers letting us down and missing tackles, although one of them got hurt trying to make a tackle, and Herndon broke the tackle and scored. We thought Hearn was actually going to leave the game in the 3rd after getting hit three straight plays, but again he's a warrior.

And 100+ yards passing against Courtland and KG, so yes I thought the passing game would be legit by now, but having inconsistent personnel on the line with inconsistent blocking, and this happens.

Are they young? Their entire offensive line are seniors. The only game they lost by a play or two was albemarle. The othere losses have been by 20+. Young puppies better find an offensive line. Yes whalen close to rush yards but when you have games of 40, 35, and 25 carries in games you are going to get some yards. Not knocking that kid and I am not knocking other kids either. I just don't see results is all I am saying.
that's 5 players on the o line that are not what you called skilled players. now you suppose to know football who would you rather have returning a bunch of skilled backs and a young defense or 5 0 lineman ( now just 4 Ragland playing offense) they are just sophmores friend! tell you what you do! ask any coach would he rather have 5 YOUNG skilled players that are starting and leading the team in stats or 4 senior lineman that will be working or in college next year! you wan't results well you can still see results as the season ain't over with playoffs still on the table! the single wing is a rushing offense so it's designed to rush that many times. if he carries the ball that many carries that means they are moving the ball right? hard to get 30 carries if all you get in a game is 3 and punt right? don't like to criticize coach Fisher as he is a good coach but i would trash this offense and go to a wing t or a power I to utilize the talent they have! can you imagine this team if it could throw just a little from the wing t with Bell at FB and Whalen running behind him with Jones also in the backfield! too late to do it in the middle of the year but something if i was a coach for next season. that would be also a great fit if they run the power i my favorite offense with a slot back! each coach has a favorite offense and coach Fisher likes the single wing as he has success with it in the past so why not ! but i don't have to agree! Louisa is just fine just set back the next couple years and watch!

@skynard1 I can see your points, but I've always liked the Single Wing more than Wing T. I can imagine Courtland running the Single Wing with the skill kids they have now. They would have at least a championship over the last few years, I can tell you that. I have always thought the Wing T is easier to defend. Bell does play fullback sometimes (doesn't block that well yet), everyone moves around in the backfield.

Powhatan is on their 4th string RB and lost several key players to injury and the Lions beat them on a two point conversion that was BS. That should say everything that needs to be said right there. Look at your posts from the years Hoo. Nothing wrong with optimism but you have been touting the JV squad at Louisa as the second coming and they still have not arrived.

Not negative truthful. Western is only team in our district that can make a deep run, and I may even say Monticello. The rest won't and most likely that trend will continue. Your biggest loss this season was the qb going to fuma. Say what you want he was your best option to throw the ball. As to beating us you should we are at the bottom, but I am not coming out hyping up 8&9th graders either. All the talk about players two years ago when they were young from you and skynard I have yet to see results. Just because you beat sisters of the poor does not mean you have good players. You can't be bitter being 5-5 everyone saw this coming including your self at the beginning.
Also I doubt coaches have given up. I don't think I have ever met a coach who is going to give up. Most coaches are ultra competitive and I have seen your coach on the side lines and read article about his teams he would never quit or give in whatever you want to call it. Hoos stay positive but sometimes you have to call it as it is. No high school team can win all the time just like we can't lose all the time. You guys are not in a good cycle. At least it's not as bad as ours. How's that for being a negative nancy
Western may not go as deep as you think. Hearns was a big play maker for them and the leader of the offense. Last night's injury was flagrant by Louisa and it never looks good when you're carried off on a stretcher, get in the ambulance and go straight to the hospital. He would be a major loss to any playoff run.

I was there last night. Ask LouisaDad. The Lions hung tough for a while and it looked like they would make a come back but WA just ran away in the second half.

This is what I thought. Job Whalen is the real deal. The kid's a fine RB. Louisa had some opportunities really thwarted when they went for it on 4th down 6 times and missed 5. Especially in the second half, the Lion tackling was just atrocious. The D performed adequately on 1st and 2nd downs, holding WA to a number of third and longs but WA just kept converting these. Not being able to pass or not wanting to pass doesn't matter to me but without balance, teams can just load up on you and that's exactly how Louisa got held to zippy in the 2nd half. Now this is all ok for Fluvanna but it's going to be a struggle for the Lions to win any other games than the Fluccos the rest of the year. When the defense is so inconsistent and you can't pass, it doesn't bode well. Now this is one game against a good opponent but performances against such squads is how you need to measure yourselves when it comes to playoff hopes and what you may or may not do when you get there.

We agree for once. Our inconsistent defense and the dropped sure pick 6 by my cousin really hurt. WA was up 21-13 at half, Louisa did score in the 3rd qtr. I don't think that hit was "flagrant" either, the kid did jump but let up and if you look closely, no part of him touched Hearn's head. It only looks worse than it was because Hearn got hurt. Normally he wouldn't budge in those instances.

Last edited:
Powhatan is on their 4th string RB and lost several key players to injury and the Lions beat them on a two point conversion that was BS. That should say everything that needs to be said right there. Look at your posts from the years Hoo. Nothing wrong with optimism but you have been touting the JV squad at Louisa as the second coming and they still have not arrived.
Yet you still just beat Charlottesville, and most of your lines are fairly healthy, that's what matters the most. And I have said nothing about the JV.

Last edited:
We agree for once. Our inconsistent defense and the dropped sure pick 6 by my cousin really hurt. WA was up 21-13 at half, Louisa did score in the 3rd qtr. I don't think that hit was "flagrant" either, the kid did jump but let up and if you look closely, no part of him touched Hearn's head. It only looks worse than it was because Hearn got hurt. Normally he wouldn't budge in those instances.
I was actually looking at the ball carrier when the hit occurred but that tells me how late it was. When it's that late, I consider it flagrant. Perhaps because the attention was elsewhere, this is why the officials couldn't eject him. I can't get this video yet so I can't check. I do hope he's alright. He was down a long time.

I was actually looking at the ball carrier when the hit occurred but that tells me how late it was. When it's that late, I consider it flagrant. Perhaps because the attention was elsewhere, this is why the officials couldn't eject him. I can't get this video yet so I can't check. I do hope he's alright. He was down a long time.
I have the video posted on this board below, and the hit wasn't late.

that's 5 players on the o line that are not what you called skilled players. now you suppose to know football who would you rather have returning a bunch of skilled backs and a young defense or 5 0 lineman ( now just 4 Ragland playing offense) they are just sophmores friend! tell you what you do! ask any coach would he rather have 5 YOUNG skilled players that are starting and leading the team in stats or 4 senior lineman that will be working or in college next year! you wan't results well you can still see results as the season ain't over with playoffs still on the table! the single wing is a rushing offense so it's designed to rush that many times. if he carries the ball that many carries that means they are moving the ball right? hard to get 30 carries if all you get in a game is 3 and punt right? don't like to criticize coach Fisher as he is a good coach but i would trash this offense and go to a wing t or a power I to utilize the talent they have! can you imagine this team if it could throw just a little from the wing t with Bell at FB and Whalen running behind him with Jones also in the backfield! too late to do it in the middle of the year but something if i was a coach for next season. that would be also a great fit if they run the power i my favorite offense with a slot back! each coach has a favorite offense and coach Fisher likes the single wing as he has success with it in the past so why not ! but i don't have to agree! Louisa is just fine just set back the next couple years and watch!
You only don't make playoffs if you are as bad as our two teams and making it at 5-5 is a big kudos for a team I guess. Secondly you may need to re think statement about skill over line you need BOTH. Louisa according to hoos has a great line this season but have had some injuries and yet they are not really lighting up the score board. Most coaches want balance you can have all the skill but if they don't block your skill sucks ask Christian hackenburg when he played hermitage a few years ago. He was on his back all night and same is true with a line and no skill. I asked a simple question what are the puppies going to do without a line? And that was your response...wow.

Update from Scrimmage Play on Hearn:

Wow, they were acting like he was paralyzed or something. He was down for nearly 30 minutes. And guess whom they play next week: Fluvanna. So lucky.

Last edited:
@skynard1 I can see your points, but I've always liked the Single Wing more than Wing T. I can imagine Courtland running the Single Wing with the skill kids they have now. They would have at least a championship over the last few years, I can tell you that. I have always thought the Wing T is easier to defend. Bell does play fullback sometimes (doesn't block that well yet), everyone moves around in the backfield.

well you are sure entitled o your opinion but totally disagree with your view of the wing t. you forget where i come from Tim Coleman at Spotsy and Ken Brown at Courtland won a total of 7 state championships and many years in the play offs. ask those teams how easy it is to stop the wing T. J C Hall has never won a championship but how many times have they advanced deep in the playoffs with the wing T. as for malik blocking as aggressive as that kid plays he can be taught to block. sorry to disagree with you but your argument don't hold water. the single wing is too one dimensional IMO. I don't care how good you are you need to be able to pass to keep teams from packing the box. even if you don't complete the pass the defense has got to believe you might. didn't see the game last night but from what i have heard and read Louisa has disregarded the pass! you talking about easy to defense how hard is that to defense when they know you are not going to throw. sometime you just don't have the horses to line up and jam the ball down teams throat like single A King William used to do years ago when they ran the single wing! if the lions was single A with their line size and big backs they could possibly do it! to each his own a i respect your opinion but the statement that the wing T is easier to defend don't fly with me. ask Tim Coleman Ken Brown and J C Hall and see what they tell you!

well you are sure entitled o your opinion but totally disagree with your view of the wing t. you forget where i come from Tim Coleman at Spotsy and Ken Brown at Courtland won a total of 7 state championships and many years in the play offs. ask those teams how easy it is to stop the wing T. J C Hall has never won a championship but how many times have they advanced deep in the playoffs with the wing T. as for malik blocking as aggressive as that kid plays he can be taught to block. sorry to disagree with you but your argument don't hold water. the single wing is too one dimensional IMO. I don't care how good you are you need to be able to pass to keep teams from packing the box. even if you don't complete the pass the defense has got to believe you might. didn't see the game last night but from what i have heard and read Louisa has disregarded the pass! you talking about easy to defense how hard is that to defense when they know you are not going to throw. sometime you just don't have the horses to line up and jam the ball down teams throat like single A King William used to do years ago when they ran the single wing! if the lions was single A with their line size and big backs they could possibly do it! to each his own a i respect your opinion but the statement that the wing T is easier to defend don't fly with me. ask Tim Coleman Ken Brown and J C Hall and see what they tell you!
Look those teams Tim Coleman had he could have run almost any offense he wanted to and win. When he had the big lineman that went to uva Evan white (I think) anyone and any offense could run beind him. Esp Rocco woolfolk. I mayb off on names but regardless it's skill level of players and how coaches adjust their scheme to their talent. Lake Taylor runs a true veer not a real complex offense and really not a lot of passing in their offense but by the end of the season they are tough to stop.

Teams can pass just as well out of the Single Wing as the Wing T, we just haven't had the players to do it like Courtland.

Teams can pass just as well out of the Single Wing as the Wing T, we just haven't had the players to do it like Courtland.
Agree and that has been problem for Louisa. That's why your 2006 group was special and groups like that are hard to come by.

I agree that both formations can pass if desired. But it's only been since 2011 that the Cougars have become more balanced. Hall has progressed as a Coach each year I've known him. He has his stubborn side and his risk taker side but he is not stupid.

Bottom line for me is, there is always enough talent to be competitive. It's how you use it. IMO. From what i saw Friday, the Lions have enough. If you need a QB, get a pitcher or Center Fielder from the Baseball team. They have good hands, know how to throw and are absolutely calm under pressure. Get the fast guy from track team. He can be trained to catch. This is Football. It's not like Soccer, Baseball or Basketball. An athlete can be brought up to speed in months for Football. The other sports can be over a decade in the making to be really good. Football is Gladiator. The others are art.

Look those teams Tim Coleman had he could have run almost any offense he wanted to and win. When he had the big lineman that went to uva Evan white (I think) anyone and any offense could run beind him. Esp Rocco woolfolk. I mayb off on names but regardless it's skill level of players and how coaches adjust their scheme to their talent. Lake Taylor runs a true veer not a real complex offense and really not a lot of passing in their offense but by the end of the season they are tough to stop.
I beg to differ with you but i saw all those games and two of the QB's that lead the knights championhips Conway Reed and Trip Haney could not throw the ball in the ocean. they passed when teams thought they was not going to pass. they was wing T field generals excellent in play faking and only attempted to pass about 5 or 6 times a game. they was small and slow a foot. reminded me of Cherry but not as quick. as for the line they never had a huge line the guards was smallish because on the miss direction plays had to be quick to pull. they had a big full back in Tim Webb that was not all that quick but bullish and strong. the last year they won the state when the kid i coached Rocky Woolfolk the team was the same way. smallish QB that wasn't a good passer and other than Evan Hunt wasn't big at all. small guards pass to keep the defense honest and Woolfolk was not that big. you don't need a big offensive line to run the wing T. Coleman Brown and Hall will tell you that.
the courtland championships the players were the same way. not a very big line especially the guards. QBs not a lot of skilled passers but ran the wing to perfection. J C Hall was probably he best passer of all the wing T qb's and he never passed that much! to prove my point Coleman does the HS game of the week on TV with Nevell and me and after the game that we did at Courtland against Louisa he said with the players on Louisa squad they looked like a perfect wing T team and would have run through the JD if he coached them!
Yall bring up the big lineman Evan Hunt! Evan was one of the nicest and smartest kids on earth. he floundered for 4 years and no one even looked at him. the semi's and the finals he played the games of his life. coach Coleman and the fans was shocked by the way he played UVA offered him a full ride only because of his size. he went to UVA and got hurt his freshman yr and never played a down of football! all the Spotsy fans could not believe he got a D 1 scholarship as we saw him play all 4 years in HS. believe me he was not the reason we got to the playoffs but give him credit he had two great playoff games! so you think the wing t teams line needs to be big but it ain't so! you be the judge! Louisa wing t Cherry QB Bell big full back Whalen running back Jones the other back. remind you of Haney QB Webb full back Woolfolk half back! that combo = state title! you get my drift! it would work because if the legendary hall of fame coach Coleman says it it's true

Say what you want those guys were good high school players. Better than what everyone else had at the time. Never heard of a team winning alot with out talent. I saw spotsy win all three titles and they were pretty good athletically and mentally.

I beg to differ with you but i saw all those games and two of the QB's that lead the knights championhips Conway Reed and Trip Haney could not throw the ball in the ocean. they passed when teams thought they was not going to pass. they was wing T field generals excellent in play faking and only attempted to pass about 5 or 6 times a game. they was small and slow a foot. reminded me of Cherry but not as quick. as for the line they never had a huge line the guards was smallish because on the miss direction plays had to be quick to pull. they had a big full back in Tim Webb that was not all that quick but bullish and strong. the last year they won the state when the kid i coached Rocky Woolfolk the team was the same way. smallish QB that wasn't a good passer and other than Evan Hunt wasn't big at all. small guards pass to keep the defense honest and Woolfolk was not that big. you don't need a big offensive line to run the wing T. Coleman Brown and Hall will tell you that.
the courtland championships the players were the same way. not a very big line especially the guards. QBs not a lot of skilled passers but ran the wing to perfection. J C Hall was probably he best passer of all the wing T qb's and he never passed that much! to prove my point Coleman does the HS game of the week on TV with Nevell and me and after the game that we did at Courtland against Louisa he said with the players on Louisa squad they looked like a perfect wing T team and would have run through the JD if he coached them!
Yall bring up the big lineman Evan Hunt! Evan was one of the nicest and smartest kids on earth. he floundered for 4 years and no one even looked at him. the semi's and the finals he played the games of his life. coach Coleman and the fans was shocked by the way he played UVA offered him a full ride only because of his size. he went to UVA and got hurt his freshman yr and never played a down of football! all the Spotsy fans could not believe he got a D 1 scholarship as we saw him play all 4 years in HS. believe me he was not the reason we got to the playoffs but give him credit he had two great playoff games! so you think the wing t teams line needs to be big but it ain't so! you be the judge! Louisa wing t Cherry QB Bell big full back Whalen running back Jones the other back. remind you of Haney QB Webb full back Woolfolk half back! that combo = state title! you get my drift! it would work because if the legendary hall of fame coach Coleman says it it's true
I agree that Wing lines don't need to be big. That's not how it works. Fast, 200 pounders are the most effective.

Now, what needs to happen here is we stop making comparisons to teams from 20+ years ago. The game is no where near the same. Now, I do agree with a Lombardi philosophy that this is a game of blocking and tackling. Those things still need to be done well to be successful but now the players are bigger, faster, stronger and better trained. Coaching has evolved. It's like comparing the 69 Jets with Joe Willie Namath to the 2014 Patriots with Tom Bradey. just no contest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT