ADVERTISEMENT

WF - 25 Salem - 7

This is all you need to know about kilroy25.... Fleming never, not once....like didn't even look like...or come close to running a "60" Defense. 5 DL 2 LB 4 DB. Kilroy- You are an idiot.
I just wish Salem ran that Jet Sweep and Rocket Toss against pheobus that your cousins nephews brothers niece in the band saw them installing.

Anyways did they run a 60 against the JV?

Expect Fleming to be good for quite some time as long as Leftwich is there. He's that good and Fleming is not far from being a perennial very deep playoff contender and by very deep, I mean possible game 15 good. They might already be there this year

Reactions: CrushBlock
Expect Fleming to be good for quite some time as long as Leftwich is there. He's that good and Fleming is not far from being a perennial very deep playoff contender and by very deep, I mean possible game 15 good. They might already be there this year
Matoaca will have something to say about that. They ain't too bad either. Matoaca beat Fleming pretty bad last year and it appears both teams have improved. Could be must watch tv.

This is all you need to know about kilroy25.... Fleming never, not once....like didn't even look like...or come close to running a "60" Defense. 5 DL 2 LB 4 DB. Kilroy- You are an idiot.

, I don’t know if your mom dropped you on your head when you were a baby, but the adults are talking. Go back to your insane stuff. Not sure what I’ve ever done to you but how about you stay away from my posts and I’ll do the same for you!! Deal? Go back to talking about the JV and I won’t ask if a player is ok anymore!! Deal?? Idiot?? I’m not even going to fall to your level and respond to that. And if you didn’t see 6 guys on the line you need glasses!! Thanks for ruining a civil conversation about a football game.

Last edited:
Matoaca will have something to say about that. They ain't too bad either. Matoaca beat Fleming pretty bad last year and it appears both teams have improved. Could be must watch tv.
Oh I agree. I think Matoaca would beat Fleming this year, but closer in score. The point I'm making about Fleming is the coach. That's what is different for Fleming who has had talent for years. They now have a guy that knows how to use that talent and the point I was making is that Fleming is on a steep incline. It's only the 2nd year for Leftwich and that's scary considering what they were.

Perhaps you’re right. I don’t have a deep enough knowledge to properly compare the differences in play calling even though I was around for both era’s, maybe rattled my brain a little too much to remember.

Salem typically has o linemen disregard backside d-linemen in favor of getting them upfield to make a touchdown block. Problem lies when there is congestion at point of attack either because there not enough movement on a 3 technique or a kick out block that did have enough tail behind it, can hold up the ball carrier enough to have some spillover backside and make it look like they just didn’t block someone. Wonder if that’s what you were seeing or there was play side penetration the plays I wasn’t paying attention as much.

Whether or not it’s good to disregard the backside d-lineman is up for debate.

Also if you’re going to kick out with that Z they drag across in motion the personnel has to be right when asking them to kick out a d-end. Chris Cole was great for that. Not all WR are going to be Chris Cole. Back in my day it was always a fullback or guard being asked to be the kick out man. Sometimes I miss that. Thought stuff may have hit a bit quicker back then.

Still, maybe I have just drank the koolaid but I have a hard time assuming the coaches haven’t properly analyzed it and I have a hard time assuming they are calling the wrong plays.

Ps: I wish more kids came to Salem for football back in my day and I might have a ring. Played during those sad ten years where everyone said mag couldn’t get a ring without coach White’s help.
I am actually a big proponent of the way Salem approaches backside blocks. I have even taught this to both players and coaches so they can teach their players. That being said, some of the technique/elements you need to make this work well continue to get overlooked and kind of forgotten as the years go by. First off, it's much more effective (but also more demanding on the athleticism and steps of the OL) to do this with bigger splits and widen the backside defenders further from the play. I have always been in favor of this but Salem has preferred to go with tighter splits than what I think is ideal for awhile now. That makes it more difficult but still doable... you will just also need the timing of the exchange and FB/HB steps to be perfect and consistent. This was one of the big problems in the WF game, especially if you look at the counter plays. They used to teach a one-step counter by the HB but Friday night I saw backs taking three to four steps before changing directions and it made the timing for playside and backside blocking pretty much impossible. The pulling guard was already making contact on the DE kickout block before the RBs even had the ball. Again, that used to never happen as all the ball carriers were drilled on this non-stop, every single practice. There were even many times where a more talented back might not start over another back because he isn't consistent/good enough with his pre-exchange steps.

The other big issue up front is with the TE and FB blocking. It's pretty hard to understate how good Jaelyn Allen and Jayveon Jones were in this regard for the previous few years. That has had a very big drop-off so far this year, which is to be expected but needs to improve dramatically.

I am actually a big proponent of the way Salem approaches backside blocks. I have even taught this to both players and coaches so they can teach their players. That being said, some of the technique/elements you need to make this work well continue to get overlooked and kind of forgotten as the years go by. First off, it's much more effective (but also more demanding on the athleticism and steps of the OL) to do this with bigger splits and widen the backside defenders further from the play. I have always been in favor of this but Salem has preferred to go with tighter splits than what I think is ideal for awhile now. That makes it more difficult but still doable... you will just also need the timing of the exchange and FB/HB steps to be perfect and consistent. This was one of the big problems in the WF game, especially if you look at the counter plays. They used to teach a one-step counter by the HB but Friday night I saw backs taking three to four steps before changing directions and it made the timing for playside and backside blocking pretty much impossible. The pulling guard was already making contact on the DE kickout block before the RBs even had the ball. Again, that used to never happen as all the ball carriers were drilled on this non-stop, every single practice. There were even many times where a more talented back might not start over another back because he isn't consistent/good enough with his pre-exchange steps.

The other big issue up front is with the TE and FB blocking. It's pretty hard to understate how good Jaelyn Allen and Jayveon Jones were in this regard for the previous few years. That has had a very big drop-off so far this year, which is to be expected but needs to improve dramatically.
Pretty much exactly what I was seeing too. I like foot to foot splits on 30 dives if you have a weight room trained o line, other than that, I see the value of 3 foot splits. Thats where the angles are created for undersized o linemen. Downside to larger splits is if you have quick linebackers and slow offensive linemen, you give the linebacker more space to possibly stop the run.

Would you let a pulling guard cheat in or is that too much of a que for the defense for you?

Reactions: Kilroy25
Oh I agree. I think Matoaca would beat Fleming this year, but closer in score. The point I'm making about Fleming is the coach. That's what is different for Fleming who has had talent for years. They now have a guy that knows how to use that talent and the point I was making is that Fleming is on a steep incline. It's only the 2nd year for Leftwich and that's scary considering what they were.
Well @Fairlawncat, I think you are correct. Fleming has a good shot at beating Matoaca and the rest of Region C and D. The talent and contrast in schemes will be fun to watch. It eerily reminds me of the 2016 Dinwiddie vs. Salem State final. Same type of schemes and talent which led to one of the best, if not the best game I have ever watched. Good posts sir.

Reactions: Fairlawncat
Pretty much exactly what I was seeing too. I like foot to foot splits on 30 dives if you have a weight room trained o line, other than that, I see the value of 3 foot splits. Thats where the angles are created for undersized o linemen. Downside to larger splits is if you have quick linebackers and slow offensive linemen, you give the linebacker more space to possibly stop the run.

Would you let a pulling guard cheat in or is that too much of a que for the defense for you?
Great stuff @Shabutie and @CrushBlock. I think you have hit on concerns not just in Salem, but throughout hs football. The lineman across the board are either really undersized and athletic or huge and slow. No in between. I was asking a few years ago about the kids not being fundamentally sound regarding technique at many positions and I was told by a dang good coach that due to the lack of depth and most kids playing both ways they just don't have time to teach the things they used to.

Keep it coming fellows. Have enjoyed this post.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shabutie
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT