ADVERTISEMENT

What’s the deal with Liberty?

Lafayette

VaPreps All District
Aug 26, 2001
Drive 3-1/2 hours, everyone is hungry and NO concessions on the visitor side are open and only one small concession with crap food on the home side open. What a joke. Our Wanner Stadium does it 10x better. Next time I’ll watch on NHFS until they move the venue. Even the LU people there thought it was wrong,

Yeah, I thought the same thing!! Won’t allow you to bring some hot coffee in but expect you to wait 45min to 1 hour in line. Ridicules!!

Reactions: Lafayette
Move the C3 and C4 back to Williamsburg. It was every restaurant you want and shopping. Also other 757 cities are next door. I went to the championship when Heritage of Lynchburg played Hopewell in 2017 willam and mary and the vendors were awesome. I guess it's about money and politics that's why continue to be in Lynchburg.

Should alternate with zable stadium of William & Mary. 25 seconds across from main entrance 4 restaurants..

Last edited:
Reactions: BoKnowsSports
It’s time to put the game in a more centralized place. For example, Phoebus driving 3.5 hours while LCA was at home, Heritage was 5 mins away, and Salem an hour away.

If they're not having concessions open on visitors side, and having to wait in long lines on the home side and missing half the game, then they should allow people to bring in their own food. Ridiculous!!

If they're not having concessions open on visitors side, and having to wait in long lines on the home side and missing half the game, then they should allow people to bring in their own food. Ridiculous!!
The limited food was simply awful.

It really makes me not want to go anymore. I usually go watch the state games regardless of my team being there or not. Won’t do it again!! I don’t know who’s responsible for this bs, but it needs to be dealt with.

It really makes me not want to go anymore. I usually go watch the state games regardless of my team being there or not. Won’t do it again!! I don’t know who’s responsible for this bs, but it needs to be dealt with

It really makes me not want to go anymore. I usually go watch the state games regardless of my team being there or not. Won’t do it again!! I don’t know who’s responsible for this bs, but it needs to be dealt with.
Bro. The 3 1/2 drive home was easier because of the finish to the game but if we are blessed to be there next year I am gonna have to think it over first before I go to Liberty U. I felt like they were not expecting the fans. No welcome feeling atmosphere.

Reactions: Lafayette
Too much stadium is not a good look for these games....Salem Stadium is perfect for 1 and 2...if not Liberty what about U of R stadium for 3 and 4? I know it's new and not too big

Bro. The 3 1/2 drive home was easier because of the finish to the game but if we are blessed to be there next year I am gonna have to think it over first before I go to Liberty U. I felt like they were not expecting the fans. No welcome feeling atmosphere.
It definitely didn’t feel special!!

Reactions: Kenneth Harris
It’s time to put the game in a more centralized place. For example, Phoebus driving 3.5 hours while LCA was at home, Heritage was 5 mins away, and Salem an hour away.
1 hour 20 minutes to Salem.
It's 1 hour to the eastern city limits of Roanoke City--that's not Salem.
20 more minutes to Salem City which is on the west side of Roanoke City.
The central location is Charlottesville, but that is already being used.
Harrisonburg might be doable but that doesnt help Tidewater teams.
Remember that geographically there is much more to Virginia west of Richmond compared to east of Richmond. The western tip of Virginia is further west than Detroit, Michigan. The geographic center of Virginia is approximately 30 miles east of Lynchburg in the middle of nowhere.

Reactions: VolNation85
Early I said move it back to Williamsburg, but also Virginia state university Roger field is outstanding place to to play a championship game. Central lotion colonial heights, petersburg and Ettrick Virginia . Also all kinds of restaurants, the mall and easy to get to inter 85,95 and 460. And the vendors are outstanding for games. But the Vhsl are going to do what they want to do.

Early I said move it back to Williamsburg, but also Virginia state university Roger field is outstanding place to to play a championship game. Central lotion colonial heights, petersburg and Ettrick Virginia . Also all kinds of restaurants, the mall and easy to get to inter 85,95 and 460. And the vendors are outstanding for games. But the Vhsl are going to do what they want to do.
Richmond or Williamsburg not even close to central part of state. The two closest stadiums to the center of the state are UVa and Liberty.

Reactions: VolNation85
You really can't get more centralized that Lynchburg or Charlottesville. Those two cities are about the same distance from the furthest parts of the state. It's not Salem's, Phoebus, Heritage's or LCA's fault that they are in the Classification that they are in. No matter where you have the games you will most likely have a team from that region playing in the championship game. Highland Springs only had a little more than an hour to drive to Uva yesterday for their game. 757 had teams playing in the championship a few years ago when the games were at ODU and W&M.

How do you suggest they prevent a team from playing the championship game within an hour of home?

1 hour 20 minutes to Salem.
It's 1 hour to the eastern city limits of Roanoke City--that's not Salem.
20 more minutes to Salem City which is on the west side of Roanoke City.
The central location is Charlottesville, but that is already being used.
Harrisonburg might be doable but that doesnt help Tidewater teams.
Remember that geographically there is much more to Virginia west of Richmond compared to east of Richmond. The western tip of Virginia is further west than Detroit, Michigan. The geographic center of Virginia is approximately 30 miles east of Lynchburg in the middle of nowhere.
Geographic center of VA is in good ol’ Buckingham county!!! We’ll gladly host for ya and get ya some piping hot concession stand food if centrality is the issue lol

Reactions: Kimosabe5
Some Geography facts,
Virginia Beach to Lynchburg. 207 miles
Western tip of Virginia to Lynchburg 262 miles

This is simply the reality that C3/C4 must endure. C1/C2 and C5/C6 are overwhelmingly in the same general location. You can toss the names in a hat, pick any two, odds are they're a short drive from one another. Hence, those title games should essentially stay where they should. But C3/C4 stretches nearly across the entire state so there is no scenario where a suitable setting can be found that is equidistant for all involved.

Rotating the venues is the simplest and most egalitarian solution. A/B enjoy "home field" for a few years, C/D get it thereafter and so on.

Maybe you should really be looking at population center of the state, not geographic center.

Too much stadium is not a good look for these games....Salem Stadium is perfect for 1 and 2...if not Liberty what about U of R stadium for 3 and 4? I know it's new and not too big
Hovey Field was packed for the playoffs back in the 90s.

The main problem at Liberty yesterday was the “state game” wasn’t made into a big deal!! The concessions(the lack there of) they don’t use the big screen, replays and score board would be great!! I’m surprised they even opened the bathrooms on the visitor side!! It could be done a lot better, but the leadership in the vhsl is useless as tits on a boat hog when it comes down to it. They don’t want to be bothered with anything

The main problem at Liberty yesterday was the “state game” wasn’t made into a big deal!! The concessions(the lack there of) they don’t use the big screen, replays and score board would be great!! I’m surprised they even opened the bathrooms on the visitor side!! It could be done a lot better, but the leadership in the vhsl is useless as tits on a boat hog when it comes down to it. They don’t want to be bothered with anything
I think you mean Boar hog, but I like mental picture of boat hog.

There is no high school field in the central part of the state that meets the requirements.
Salem will take them all over 2 days.
Perfect high school stadium. :)
City stadium in Lynchburg would be nice. After seeing the attendance at the games this year, you don’t need a college field. It was pathetic
it’s perfect for the games but what area do they use to host the VHSL officials and administrators like Amherst did at LU. This year was so different for us as well

I know LU was also playing a home basketball game as well yesterday and I wonder if that had anything to do with the issues. Maybe they diverted their resources for the record setting crowd in the new arena.

City Stadium would be a nice location.

Reactions: wikki
I think it would be pretty simple to get an estimate of attendance from each respective high schools Friday night box take and see if it's worth a college stadium or just a good high school football field that can accommodate that attendance on both sides and concession amenities. Being a former volunteer myself, I'm sure Chik fil a, Pizza hut, Domino's, and/or Papa John's in the area would be glad to help furnish food and help their local high school make money in the process. Just need to find out the venue so that the process can be setup! If there is a school that splits the difference from a mileage standpoint for both schools, I'm sure the AD for that school would be happy to comply and there would be opportunity for internal school programs (BETA, JROTC, etc...) that could earn volunteer credits towards their yearly commitment quota volunteer hours that could help them out as well! The answers are usually under all our noses if we look hard enough! Also, the box take may actually grow if there's a high school football game in town at the local high school, though it's not the home areas own team, you may pick up extra ticket purchasers this way. This is my take on the situation.

I think it would be pretty simple to get an estimate of attendance from each respective high schools Friday night box take and see if it's worth a college stadium or just a good high school football field that can accommodate that attendance on both sides and concession amenities. Being a former volunteer myself, I'm sure Chik fil a, Pizza hut, Domino's, and/or Papa John's in the area would be glad to help furnish food and help their local high school make money in the process. Just need to find out the venue so that the process can be setup! If there is a school that splits the difference from a mileage standpoint for both schools, I'm sure the AD for that school would be happy to comply and there would be opportunity for internal school programs (BETA, JROTC, etc...) that could earn volunteer credits towards their yearly commitment quota volunteer hours that could help them out as well! The answers are usually under all our noses if we look hard enough! Also, the box take may actually grow if there's a high school football game in town at the local high school, though it's not the home areas own team, you may pick up extra ticket purchasers this way. This is my take on the situation.
You're right. Why can't the school system and VHSL hold these games in a smaller venue and bring in food truck venders? It could be an old school jubilee environment. The opportunities are so great but they just keep laying eggs.

I would like to know the total in attendance because from my view it was pathetic. It’s no need to hold it at Liberty. A good high school stadium would work with vendor trucks. The school must have plenty of bath room facilities and great seating. City stadium surely would have been great and it would have accommodated the fans I saw and still would have had empty seats

The kids that make it to these games deserve better!! They need to make it special again!! Regardless of where it’s held!!!

I think for the kids getting to play in the bigger venue is cool and something many of them will never see.
Now the lack of decent food is ridiculous! They should have good concessions or allow food trucks and businesses to set up food places.
We always played in Salem with the exception of the spring season and playing in Stuarts Draft. The packed atmosphere was nice but comparing that to the kids playing in Salem....

Reactions: shsspartan/taknight
Put it in Richmond and call it a day. Many stadiums in the 804 can hold the game.

Reactions: MMQP 6.0
I think those ugly start times affected the attendance from a true spectator’s point of view. I would’ve loved to have went to Freedom/HS and Maury/Stone Bridge, however, as much as I love high school football, I wasn’t waiting around 3 hours after the teams got off the field to watch game 2. The VHSL knows that most people will leave and buy another ticket if they want to see game 2. Just my two cents.

Reactions: wikki
I know LU was also playing a home basketball game as well yesterday and I wonder if that had anything to do with the issues. Maybe they diverted their resources for the record setting crowd in the new arena.

City Stadium would be a nice location.
But then if ECG or HHS would make a final, people would complain that they are playing on their home field. There isn't a solution that is going to make everyone happy. It is a shame the jumbotron and concessions at LU was subpar. Bring back the good ol days of standing on the fence line because the stadium home of the home team was packed. I know I know, not all higher seeds have the stadium that meets requirements but I do miss that. Btw, to play, coach, or watch my team in a state championship game, travel wouldn't be an issue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT