ADVERTISEMENT

What can I expect from Franklin Co. this year?

New coaching staff, any reason for optimism?
Coach Edwards will need some time to get kids excited about football again. It doesn't help that they have a tough schedule his first year out. Games with Liberty, Pulaski, GW, Heritage, Magna Vista, and LCA that's going to be a challenge. I heard their scrimmage with Northside didn't go well for FC. The other games I didn't mention Fleming, Christiansburg, Bassett, and Halifax may not be too easy either. Coming off a 1-9 season they need something good to happen, but things don't look too promising this year.

That is about what I expected, I had not heard any report on the Northside benefit game. Coach Edwards has his work cut out for him. I was stunned to learn that they did not have enough kids come out to field a 9th grade team, just J.V. & Varsity. In a school of 2300 kids??!!

FC always has big aggressive linemen and 2-3 good skill players. I know the Harris kid, who was pretty much their whole offense, transferred to PH and they graduated quite of few skill guys so I would expect another 1-9/2-8 season, but who knows? They have a great fan base who support their team and with a coach like Edwards I wouldn't be surprised to see them surprise us all and win 4-5 games.

Who is new Coach and where did he come from ? Where did old coach go ?
Coach Edwards was previously an assistant at Salem and before that was the head coach at Hidden Valley. His sons both played football for the Spartans.

Coach Jones was looking to get into school administration and not coaching anymore. I'm not sure what he's doing currently, but his son is a LB for Northside from what I understand.

I have wondered where Coach Jones landed, I thought he was the best coach we have had at FC. If he couldn't win on a consistent basis I don't know who will.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT