ADVERTISEMENT

What games are you most looking forward to this year?

OK, I will start. The answer will be different for every fan, depending on who they root for, so I will of course speak from my Riverheads perspective.

First of all, the Shenandoah District games will be more competitive than they have been in years. There are at least three teams that will be quite capable of taking down the Big Red Machine. But I think I will save that discussion until closer to the season.

Riverheads will also have these three interesting non-district games. ....

In the season-opener the Gladiators will welcome Central Woodstock after those two memorable games played up the road last year. I am not sure we can call this one a "rivalry" yet, but it will be interesting to see how this year compares to last.

A few weeks later the Gladiators will travel to Rocktown, the brand new school in Harrisonburg. I am told the facility is quite nice so that will be interesting. As for the game itself, who knows what kind of start a brand new school will get off to and how they will stack up against one another? The Gladiators may roll or Rocktown may rock! One thing is for sure..........RHS will DEFINITELY win that game. We just don't know "which" RHS that will be!

Midway through the season, we travel to Christiansburg. The Gladiators won that one last year with a second-half comeback and a game-winning field goal at the final horn. C'burg most likely has this one circled on their calendar, so we will see if they get their revenge.

Graham vs. Bluefield and Graham vs. Union for this G-men fan. The other regular season matchups for Graham don't seem that intriguing.

Graham vs. Bluefield and Graham vs. Union for this G-men fan. The other regular season matchups for Graham don't seem that intriguing.
George Wythe is going to be very good. Not going to beat Graham, but might be closer than many fans think going into the season. GW will be closer than Pulaski, Tazewell, and Richlands

G Wythe gonna have almost everybody returning in defense . They go both ways tho so that might be an issue against Graham. Bluefield has a stud freshman Qb but I’m not sure how early he plays this season.. Bluefield gonna try to keep the ball away from Graham . Lebanon returning 9 on defense to go with that stud Qb , they may be able to shock some teams.

George Wythe is going to be very good. Not going to beat Graham, but might be closer than many fans think going into the season. GW will be closer than Pulaski, Tazewell, and Richlands
Graham has 8 starters back on both sides of the ball from the state semifinal vs Radford. I like our chances.......

Reactions: pizzzzza
G Wythe gonna have almost everybody returning in defense . They go both ways tho so that might be an issue against Graham. Bluefield has a stud freshman Qb but I’m not sure how early he plays this season.. Bluefield gonna try to keep the ball away from Graham . Lebanon returning 9 on defense to go with that stud Qb , they may be able to shock some teams.
Won’t Graham have a lot playing both sides? Heard their numbers were low due to small freshmen class.

H
Won’t Graham have a lot playing both sides? Heard their numbers were low due to small freshmen class.
Haven’t heard about their incoming numbers .. but most schools kids at this level play both ways ,, I just meant Graham athletes seem a bit more superior than most of their opponents . Could be wrong ,

H

Haven’t heard about their incoming numbers .. but most schools kids at this level play both ways ,, I just meant Graham athletes seem a bit more superior than most of their opponents . Could be wrong ,
True, Graham has most kids or a big bunch of them playing both ways. But, when Graham brings a sub in, the sub they are bringing in is usually better than the sub the other team is bringing in. I don't care if Graham only had 28 players out, betcha 22 of em can play and play well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cbiskit04
For me, it's always Glenvar. That's a big one. We play George Wythe to open the season. Even after coming off a state title, we could lose the first game. We go to Alleghany and Alleghany will probably be the best team we play in regular season.

H

I think this is probably accurate. Graham seems to coach kids up and get best out of their athletes.

I always enjoy your write-ups.
OK, I will start. The answer will be different for every fan, depending on who they root for, so I will of course speak from my Riverheads perspective.

First of all, the Shenandoah District games will be more competitive than they have been in years. There are at least three teams that will be quite capable of taking down the Big Red Machine. But I think I will save that discussion until closer to the season.

Riverheads will also have these three interesting non-district games. ....

In the season-opener the Gladiators will welcome Central Woodstock after those two memorable games played up the road last year. I am not sure we can call this one a "rivalry" yet, but it will be interesting to see how this year compares to last.

A few weeks later the Gladiators will travel to Rocktown, the brand new school in Harrisonburg. I am told the facility is quite nice so that will be interesting. As for the game itself, who knows what kind of start a brand new school will get off to and how they will stack up against one another? The Gladiators may roll or Rocktown may rock! One thing is for sure..........RHS will DEFINITELY win that game. We just don't know "which" RHS that will be!

Midway through the season, we travel to Christiansburg. The Gladiators won that one last year with a second-half comeback and a game-winning field goal at the final horn. C'burg most likely has this one circled on their calendar, so we will see if they get their revenge.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT