ADVERTISEMENT

What Happens To Tomato Bowl?

No more Lee-Davis, no more Tomato Bowl?

• Yes, Tomato Bowl lives on.

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • No, Tomato Bowl has been played for the final time.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CRF4Dan

Richmond Region Football Writer
Staff
Dec 17, 2012
Mechanicsville, VA
If you have been following the news lately you know that Lee-Davis is no more as it will be renamed. Lee-Davis and Patrick Henry have been locking up for over 50 years in the annual Tomato Bowl but now that there is no Lee-Davis and the school will have a new name and mascot, what does it mean for the Tomato Bowl?

I guess I'm missing the significance of the name "Tomato Bowl" as it relates to Lee-Davis HS. If the school was named Sheboygan HS and they were the Fightin' Lobsters, wouldn't it still be the Tomato Bowl? Is the name directly tied into Lee-Davis or something?

I guess I'm missing the significance of the name "Tomato Bowl" as it relates to Lee-Davis HS. If the school was named Sheboygan HS and they were the Fightin' Lobsters, wouldn't it still be the Tomato Bowl? Is the name directly tied into Lee-Davis or something?

There is historical relevance to the game. The two have met every year since they opened in 1959 whether they were in the same district or division/class. When they opened they were the only two high schools in Hanover County, no Atlee, no Hanover. Being as Hanover County is known for their tomatoes the game at some point over the last 50+ years was dubbed the Tomato Bowl and back in the 90's it was up there with Varina-Highland Springs and LC Bird-Thomas Dale as far as rivalry games in the region. With both not nearly as good as they were back then, the rivalry doesn't pack the same regional flair but it still means something to the county.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
If it's just called the Tomato Bowl because it is in Hanover County, what the heck difference will it make if the school names are changed?

That is what I am curious to find out. It brings up the topic of if a school changes their name, mascot or a school is replaced, do you keep the same traditions, records and stats or do you start anew?

That is what I am curious to find out. It brings up the topic of if a school changes their name, mascot or a school is replaced, do you keep the same traditions, records and stats or do you start anew?
Hanover County does a great job with rivalries and community/student support. My guess is it will absolutely be called the Tomato Bowl and the tradition will continue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT