ADVERTISEMENT

What Team Comes Out of Nowhere

I agree there are teams who aren't as proven but I think it is dangerous to look past them. I am sure you could also understand why some of the less proven teams would get excited. Hell, Monacan had 10 years in a row of losing football. Your damn right we get excited. I think your view is a bit warped but I understand that you are looking through a different lens than the rest of us bc of who your team is. We will keep trying to taste that pie and you will keep trying to hold it for yourself. Neither opinion or view is really wrong just depends your perspective. I am excited by what Glass did. They played Dinwiddie tough in a scrimmage and man-handled a decent C'ville team. I think they are "radar-worthy" in my book.

I just believe it when I see it. If you want an example, Byrd. Byrd has NEVER been more than 2 games into the POs. Byrd next year, maybe I look at them differently but Byrd has had the same coach for the past nearly 40 years and that guy just can't seem to get it done in the POs (he's really good at playing Salem, though). Now with a new coach, who knows, but I'll believe Byrd when I see it. There are other programs who wear a similar hat. Things can change, sure, Clemson is a terrific example of this but a VT, for example, must earn their way and they have yet to earn it with consistent wins on a big stage when things matter. Or another local option, 3A Lord Botetourt. LB was once a chump program, frequently abused by Salem in week 1 and everyone else in week 2-10. Now they're way different than they used to be and have built themselves up into a bit of a force in the area on that level.

I'm not saying things can't change but I don't like buying the hype until I see the product. I barely buy Salem's hype sometimes until things are really rolling.

Reactions: mbonape1
@freeatlast2013 hopefully both teams end up good enough to get a rematch this year. Salem can boast their history all they want, but it's only 1-0 against us. I honestly don't care how Salem looks in preseason or week 1, it's week 11.

Same reason East fans pumping East teams but West fans don't raise an eye to them: they can't hack it when it counts.

These teams need 3-4 game playoff runs and upsets against established programs, not a win against some 3-7 team only there to fill a spot in round 1 and then crumbling in the first real game they play all season.
Glass completely dominated a 9-1 Byrd team in the first round last year and lost a very close game to Blacksburg in the second round. Just FYI

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Glass completely dominated a 9-1 Byrd team in the first round last year and lost a very close game to Blacksburg in the second round. Just FYI

And finished their season losing 3 of the last 4, including to a 4-6 and 6-5 team. First round PO wins are great, that's step one, but I'm looking for teams who hit steps three thru five regularly. Second round exits are precisely what I'm talking about here. I want above-.500 PO records, not .500 or below.

And FWIW, Byrd's 9 wins came against teams who finished 27-69 on the season. That's a whopping 3-7 average. That is also probably why a 9-1 team went out in the first round of the POs :)

@freeatlast2013 hopefully both teams end up good enough to get a rematch this year. Salem can boast their history all they want, but it's only 1-0 against us. I honestly don't care how Salem looks in preseason or week 1, it's week 11.
Yes but if you win it really won't matter because we have Glass and Danville and some really tough teams so,we will be worn out. :D:D:D:D:D

I've seen it all. It is what it is. I guess my point is that being there we are very fortunate. I've seen Salem lose when I thought they were the better team . Ive seen them pull out close games and lose nailbiters. I've learned to go on. I thought Salem was playing Monacan in 2014 and then a crazy thing happened. I think, like the Monacan fan said, differnt perspectives. No hard feelings , brother, your team is awesome.

I would say JF and Blacksburg and it’s not exactly due to Byrd being better but the fact that they have an easier schedule.

The # of returning starters you guys have will go a long way towards any PO run you make in Highfill's last year.

Okay, so the Byrd people I’m just trying to gain some insight... I understand they are disciplined, they are hard nosed, etc.... but they are on a big rebuild year. And from what I saw with them V JF (who also played TERRIBLY that game) I’m not sure where this is coming. I have a lot of respect for those kids and the way they fight... but there is no way they are a sleeper contender team to me. What is making you think they’re the surprising team this year? I’m looking at a .500 season for them

The # of returning starters you guys have will go a long way towards any PO run you make in Highfill's last year.
Absolutely. If Byrd want to make a deep run then the Offensive Line, which retuned everyone outside of 1 TE, has to make a step up this year.

Okay, so the Byrd people I’m just trying to gain some insight... I understand they are disciplined, they are hard nosed, etc.... but they are on a big rebuild year. And from what I saw with them V JF (who also played TERRIBLY that game) I’m not sure where this is coming. I have a lot of respect for those kids and the way they fight... but there is no way they are a sleeper contender team to me. What is making you think they’re the surprising team this year? I’m looking at a .500 season for them
They have 9 returners on offense and 7 on defense with a senior class that is pretty darn good and many of them played significant time during Byrd’s last 2 9-1 campaigns.

Unless the Roanoke Times was off, Byrd returns 17 total starters, far from a rebuild year. I think everyone meaningful but Basham is back.

I don't see them making a playoff run, but they will definitely be better than .500 due to their schedule. They could very well start off 8-0.

Reactions: lyhsports
I would argue that Byrd played far worse than JF did when it comes to mistakes. Byrd had turnovers that were practically unforced and one of them got returned for a touchdown. Byrd was better up front and moved the ball more consistently the entire game.

Top 4? That means they will be seeded higher than at least two of the following teams... GW, Salem, JF, Glass, Blacksburg? Which two do you say it will be?
I believe GW, Byrd, Salem and Byrd will be your top 4 seeds. If Glass goes undefeated they will be your unanimous number 1 but I expect them to be a top 2 seed. Byrd, GW, and Salem have the best chance to be undefeated but Glass should get our point one or two of those teams even with 1 loss.

Also you have to think JF will more than likely lose at least 3 games..GW, Glass, Heritage and Brookville all looming... That whole Seminole slate is tough. Byrd will only have Botty and Northside to worry about.

Reactions: VolNation85
Also you have to think JF will more than likely lose at least 3 games..GW, Glass, Heritage and Brookville all looming... That whole Seminole slate is tough. Byrd will only have Botty and Northside to worry about.
Unfortunately the same could be said of Glass, Heritage, and Brookville too. They all have to play each other. The Seminole is the VHSL equivalent of the SEC. Meaning they beat up on each other week in and week out.

I would argue that Byrd played far worse than JF did when it comes to mistakes. Byrd had turnovers that were practically unforced and one of them got returned for a touchdown. Byrd was better up front and moved the ball more consistently the entire game.

Even with a scoop and score TD which completeley removes an offensive drive for JF, Byrd still had significantly less offensive yards.
Sure they had mistakes, both teams did. And it was preseason at the end of the day. I was just confused about the “hype” I guess you could say.

My apologies on the “rebuild comment,” that’s what I had been informed, and it looked a lot like a rebuild from what I saw.

Even with a scoop and score TD which completeley removes an offensive drive for JF, Byrd still had significantly less offensive yards.
Sure they had mistakes, both teams did. And it was preseason at the end of the day. I was just confused about the “hype” I guess you could say.

My apologies on the “rebuild comment,” that’s what I had been informed, and it looked a lot like a rebuild from what I saw.
"Significantly less offensive yards", are you so sure about that, it didn't seem like that watching it. I could be wrong

Kettle Run is on no ones radar. They appear to be a hungry group of no name Seniors that went 9-3 last season as juniors. There were only 6 seniors that started on last years team. Plus I liked what I saw against EV first teamers in the charity game.

But we will see. This is why we play the games and not talk about them.
So you know EV didn’t even play most of their first teamers at all that game

It would mean 1 less title since realignment with another chance for the East to redeem itself this year, and going 0-2 against LT. But at the end of the day, Salem fans can always say "9 titles" and win any debate.
We can what if everything. The LT game does not go to overtime IF the ref does not call an incomplete pass at the 3 when #5 intercepted the pass. Salem 14-0 at the time.

Did you want a do-over for 2015 because LT decided special teams weren't worth practicing? Here's you: "well, if LT bothered with a third of the sport they'd have won the game". Like, what do you want Salem fans to say?
That definitely wasn't the case. LT practices special teams a lot. The kick was missed and that's it. Had nothing to do with practice time.

We can what if everything. The LT game does not go to overtime IF the ref does not call an incomplete pass at the 3 when #5 intercepted the pass. Salem 14-0 at the time.
Game doesn't go into overtime if the long Punt Return TD isn't called back for "excessive force" on a crack back block on a defender that could have made the tackle. Glad those refs had a time machine and could see that would be a new rule and a point of emphasis for 2018 and called it in 2015. But, there were a lot of plays in that game that were coulda, shoulda, woulda plays been 3 years guys.

Game doesn't go into overtime if the long Punt Return TD isn't called back for "excessive force" on a crack back block on a defender that could have made the tackle. Glad those refs had a time machine and could see that would be a new rule and a point of emphasis for 2018 and called it in 2015. But, there were a lot of plays in that game that were coulda, shoulda, woulda plays been 3 years guys.
You lost brother . Get off the court. You going to,make excuses the rest of your life? Good day.

kick still comes back with the block in the back around the 30. I agree on the first call. TD still would not have stood. LT would also not been pushed as far back to start the possession.

Last edited:
I only made the statement as an example to the Louisa fan that we can what if just about everything in a game.

If one player is the reason they could only muster 6 points against LC, that doesn't say much for their team.

The final score was 49-28 actually, and Millbrook brought it back to 33-28 at one point. Not saying you're wrong about the outcome though, since Loudoun definitely seemed like the better team by a good margin.

Reactions: OCBoy
The final score was 49-28 actually, and Millbrook brought it back to 33-28 at one point. Not saying you're wrong about the outcome though, since Loudoun definitely seemed like the better team by a good margin.
My bad...don't know what score I was looking at. BUT....considering LC only scored 7 against Millbrook last year, that Pioneer defense must not be very strong.

Reactions: Shruikan and OCBoy
My bad...don't know what score I was looking at. BUT....considering LC only scored 7 against Millbrook last year, that Pioneer defense must not be very strong.

It was suspect last year

They came a long way on defense after giving up 34 to 2-8 Turner Ashby last year, but OCBoy is right. They lost a lot on defense to graduation but I thought they'd be better.

Reactions: OCBoy
This is the type of comment that is really frustrating because it is based off nothing and completely inaccurate. I just went back and watched the entire game on hudl and calculated the totals. When the starters were in for both teams Byrd had 308 yards and 15 first downs. JF had 156 yards and 7 first downs.

Both teams pretty much had back-to-back unforced turnovers on exchanges but the Byrd fumble bounced right to a JF player for a TD. Byrd's other two turnovers were a player just dropping the ball while running and fumbling another exchange. JF's other turnover came on a strip on third down on a play where they were going to be 8 yards short on the first anyways.

On JF's last offensive drive they kept in all of their starters and Byrd put in their entire second team. JF went for 90 yards on that drive and a TD against backups.

That is completely ignoring the other two penalties on the same punt return. LT had a block in the back around the LT 35 yard line that got flagged and had another one at the Salem 20 yards line. They had THREE penalties on that one return. Salem accepted excessive force one (Which I agree was a bad call) but even if they didn't LT would have had the ball back inside their own 20 on the first block in the back.

You know their were multiple penalties on that return but you have consistently avoided that fact any time this game has been discussed. That is a far cry from the Salem INT that was 100% a catch that officials made a mistake on and completely changed the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT