ADVERTISEMENT

What Team Comes Out of Nowhere

I agree with you about Heritage and I'd throw Woodgrove in there too, which is strange for me to say since it wasn't long ago that they were one of the most talked about teams around here. I'm sure there are other dark horse candidates but I don't know a whole lot about the schools outside Region C that aren't talked about on here.

It still remains to be seen if the best team from Region C can compete with whoever comes out of Region D, but it's a sure bet that those two Loudoun teams are far improved over last year.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I agree with you about Heritage and I'd throw Woodgrove in there too, which is strange for me to say since it wasn't long ago that they were one of the most talked about teams around here. I'm sure there are other dark horse candidates but I don't know a whole lot about the schools outside Region C that aren't talked about on here.

It still remains to be seen if the best team from Region C can compete with whoever comes out of Region D, but it's a sure bet that those two Loudoun teams are far improved over last year.

Here recently they have had a lot talked about them, but maybe it is Louisa. Everyone, including their own posters thought they would fall off. So maybe they are now a dark horse

Anytime you have a player the caliber of Brandon Smith, there’s no drop off lol
But that new Lion offense though. :eek: Can't wait to see how it looks midseason. Teams had to load the box every week the last few years and still couldn't stop us, and now they can't load the box.

4A as a whole seems more loaded this year, so I'll go with teams like Heritage-Leesburg and Warhill as my dark horses. It's anyone's guess at this point. I'm definitely interested in seeing how the Dinwiddie/Smithfield game goes, and the JF/MV game.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
But that new Lion offense though. :eek: Can't wait to see how it looks midseason. Teams had to load the box every week the last few years and still couldn't stop us, and now they can't load the box.

4A as a whole seems more loaded this year, so I'll go with teams like Heritage-Leesburg and Warhill as my dark horses. It's anyone's guess at this point. I'm definitely interested in seeing how the Dinwiddie/Smithfield game goes, and the JF/MV game.
Once Louisa’s QB settles in, they’ll be tough to stop on offense. Louisa’s defense looks better than the 3 games I saw them last year. They’re very good! Brandon Smith is the best defensive player I’ve seen on the high school level and this is over guys like Horace Hubbard, K. Pope, Holmes from LT, and Tremaine Edmunds. That’s saying a lot. I hope to see Monacan and Dinwiddie soon!

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
What about Glass? Feels like only us local, 434 and 540 (Roanoke part), followers feel like they’re a serious contender..What’s up with that?

Same reason East fans pumping East teams but West fans don't raise an eye to them: they can't hack it when it counts.

These teams need 3-4 game playoff runs and upsets against established programs, not a win against some 3-7 team only there to fill a spot in round 1 and then crumbling in the first real game they play all season.

Reactions: falcettik
You wouldn't feel that way if LT had a kicker in 2015.

I'm referring to teams who go 9-1 or 10-0 consistently and fall flat on their face in the 2nd round of the POs. Both sides of the state have these teams and they're usually the same group that gets pumped up here every year. I'm saying nobody is going to buy into them until they start winning big PO games. If LT had a kicker then congrats, but what exactly does that change about 2016 and 2017?

But hey, if "woulda, coulda, shoulda"-ing away Salem's titles makes you guys feel better go nuts. We've got 9 so there's plenty to go around for everyone.

Anytime you have a player the caliber of Brandon Smith, there’s no drop off lol

I wasnt saying they would have a fall off, that is what was written on here preseason, even their own fans. And Courtland was a contender preseason, Louisa beats them, the story seems to be Courtland, not Louisa. So that is why I said Louisa

Kettle Run is on no ones radar. They appear to be a hungry group of no name Seniors that went 9-3 last season as juniors. There were only 6 seniors that started on last years team. Plus I liked what I saw against EV first teamers in the charity game.

But we will see. This is why we play the games and not talk about them.

I'm referring to teams who go 9-1 or 10-0 consistently and fall flat on their face in the 2nd round of the POs. Both sides of the state have these teams and they're usually the same group that gets pumped up here every year. I'm saying nobody is going to buy into them until they start winning big PO games. If LT had a kicker then congrats, but what exactly does that change about 2016 and 2017?

But hey, if "woulda, coulda, shoulda"-ing away Salem's titles makes you guys feel better go nuts. We've got 9 so there's plenty to go around for everyone.
It would mean 1 less title since realignment with another chance for the East to redeem itself this year, and going 0-2 against LT. But at the end of the day, Salem fans can always say "9 titles" and win any debate.

I wasnt saying they would have a fall off, that is what was written on here preseason, even their own fans. And Courtland was a contender preseason, Louisa beats them, the story seems to be Courtland, not Louisa. So that is why I said Louisa
See, you get it. Now it's "Courtland must be bad", when they aren't. They can still be an 8-2 or 9-1 team this year, depending on how the Liberty game goes. That offense is still what holds them back though, when it comes to playoff time.

It would mean 1 less title since realignment with another chance for the East to redeem itself this year, and going 0-2 against LT. But at the end of the day, Salem fans can always say "9 titles" and win any debate.

Did you want a do-over for 2015 because LT decided special teams weren't worth practicing? Here's you: "well, if LT bothered with a third of the sport they'd have won the game". Like, what do you want Salem fans to say?

Reactions: hamspear
Did you want a do-over for 2015 because LT decided special teams weren't worth practicing? Here's you: "well, if LT bothered with a third of the sport they'd have won the game". Like, what do you want Salem fans to say?
I'm just saying you made it seem like the East has a bunch of chokers, when Salem truly had to earn every title, even with the easier paths to get there.

Last edited:
I'm just saying you made it seem like the East has a bunch of chokers, when Salem truly had to earn every title, even with the easier paths to get there.

That wasn't remotely what I said. DSH asked why only West area fans were talking about a team like Glass and I responded that much like East teams only East fans talk about, Glass isn't "proven" or whatever you want to call it, on a state-wide level so fewer people talk about them. I went on to repeat myself by saying both sides have teams that tend to habitually not show up in the POs and are much less apt to be discussed pre-playoffs by the other half of the state as opposed to teams who are known entities like Salem, Dinwiddie, LT, Sherando, Louisa, etc.

I never called the East chokers, that part is strictly on you. I don't even know why any East fan would have that mindset.

Last edited:
@1MoreHokie "they can't hack it when it counts" that means choking to me. And what I said is true. After 2013, Salem's toughest playoff game leading to the title game was Blacksburg last year. It doesn't discount how Salem did in the title game, it just means they were fresher, but also more used to being in, and winning, title games.

Just do t understand talking about and arguing about what happened last year . Salem was the best team , Louisa was real good also . Boom it’s 2018. Louisa might be better than Salem this year .

@1MoreHokie "they can't hack it when it counts" that means choking to me. And what I said is true. After 2013, Salem's toughest playoff game leading to the title game was Blacksburg last year. It doesn't discount how Salem did in the title game, it just means they were fresher, but also more used to being in, and winning, title games.

lol. Salem sent home 3 undefeated teams in 2015 but sure, easy road. Last time I checked, Salem sent home an undefeated team from the East all 3 years. This is absurd to argue and ridiculously easy to spin. You're using classic SEC logic which is "well of course nobody's undefeated everyone here is really good". Let's ignore the fact in 2015 Salem replaced 20 starters. I'm sure all those kids used their time in the stands from 2014 to prepare, though.

You let me know when you're done piling up those excuses though. Remember to take breaks, because the salt mine can be hard work on a person.

Last edited:
lol. Salem sent home 3 undefeated teams in 2015 but sure, easy road. Last time I checked, Salem sent home an undefeated team from the East all 3 years. This is absurd to argue and ridiculously easy to spin. You're using classic SEC logic which is "well of course nobody's undefeated everyone here is really good". Let's ignore the fact in 2015 Salem replaced 20 starters. I'm sure all those kids used their time in the stands from 2014 to prepare, though.

You let me know when you're done piling up those excuses though. Remember to take breaks, because the salt mine can be hard work on a person.
Those 2015 undefeated teams besides LT were :confused:. JF should be glad they had Jones that year. My point was the East teams had a tougher path each year. I would love to see Salem in a situation where they have to play Courtland, Monacan, Dinwiddie and Lafayette in a row and see if they make it to the final, but that scenario will never happen.

Those 2015 undefeated teams besides LT were :confused:. JF should be glad they had Jones that year. My point was the East teams had a tougher path each year. I would love to see Salem in a situation where they have to play Courtland, Monacan, Dinwiddie and Lafayette in a row and see if they make it to the final, but that scenario will never happen.

I love how you just cheapen Salem's entire program because they don't play on a certain side of the state. They beat three 14-0 East teams in a row but it's not enough because they didn't beat all the teams who couldn't make it to the finals.

Sure is easy to just boil down a program who has been averaging a 10-2 season for THIRTY+ years to "meh, they don't play anyone". I'm sure Salem would just wither and die under the mighty strain of the all-powerful East.

@1MoreHokie not cheapening Salem's program, they make the most of their situation. The coaching is truly impeccable. Saying I'd love to see Salem in a real battle every playoff game isn't downing the program. It's literally just saying I'd love to see Salem in a real battle every playoff game. This year could be the year, from how things look early on.

And I couldn't care less about the last 30 years, I'm barely older than you. I'm just talking about after realignment.

@1MoreHokie not cheapening Salem's program, they make the most of their situation. The coaching is truly impeccable. Saying I'd love to see Salem in a real battle every playoff game isn't downing the program. It's literally just saying I'd love to see Salem in a real battle every playoff game. This year could be the year, from how things look early on.

And I couldn't care less about the last 30 years, I'm barely older than you. I'm just talking about after realignment.

2016 Dinwiddie:

Blowout
Blowout
14 point win
14 point win

2016 Salem:

Blowout
7 point win
16 point win

You're conflating Salem blowing teams out with those teams being assumedly bad but saying any close game must have been a matchup between two great teams. Look man, the reason Salem wins more than everyone else is because their coaching is better. That's it. Half the teams Salem sees in the POs have more talent than them but their coaches aren't as good so it doesn't matter.

Mags lost the preseason scrimmage against JF in 2015 because we had a brand new sophomore kicker and he kept kicking XPs instead of going for two to keep pace with JF. People made a big deal out of the slim JF win and then look at the POs, they steamroll JF and then LT has no kicking plan in place and Salem wins in OT off a short FG. Or 2016 when they had no penalties against Dinwiddie or last year when they more than won the turnover battle against Louisa. That's Salem. They're not perfect, they're not unbeatable, they simply aren't going to do it for you like many other teams do in similar situations. Has nothing to do with being more rested or more experienced in a situation. Salem beats you in practice, not at the game.

Last edited:
I love how you just cheapen Salem's entire program because they don't play on a certain side of the state. They beat three 14-0 East teams in a row but it's not enough because they didn't beat all the teams who couldn't make it to the finals.

Sure is easy to just boil down a program who has been averaging a 10-2 season for THIRTY+ years to "meh, they don't play anyone". I'm sure Salem would just wither and die under the mighty strain of the all-powerful East.

I agree there are teams who aren't as proven but I think it is dangerous to look past them. I am sure you could also understand why some of the less proven teams would get excited. Hell, Monacan had 10 years in a row of losing football. Your damn right we get excited. I think your view is a bit warped but I understand that you are looking through a different lens than the rest of us bc of who your team is. We will keep trying to taste that pie and you will keep trying to hold it for yourself. Neither opinion or view is really wrong just depends your perspective. I am excited by what Glass did. They played Dinwiddie tough in a scrimmage and man-handled a decent C'ville team. I think they are "radar-worthy" in my book.

Salem has been in a lot of battles, winning nine state championships in 21 years. Early last year Salem was 3-2 , losing by five to Dinwiddie even though we had a boatload of turnovers. Salem then was run off the field by Blacksburg 49-12. Down by two touchdowns late in the playoffs Salem came back to win. The truth was that Salem took it to Louisa by three touchdowns. The season is over. You had a great season. Hold on to that thought. Here is your free t- shirt. New season. Maybe you get one this year. Get off the field you lost. Acceptance.

Salem has been in a lot of battles, winning nine state championships in 21 years. Early last year Salem was 3-2 , losing by five to Dinwiddie even though we had a boatload of turnovers. Salem then was run off the field by Blacksburg 49-12. Down by two touchdowns late in the playoffs Salem came back to win. The truth was that Salem took it to Louisa by three touchdowns. The season is over. You had a great season. Hold on to that thought. Here is your free t- shirt. New season. Maybe you get one this year. Get off the field you lost. Acceptance.

You cant give a reason why Salem lost and then just say they beat Louisa by 3 TDs. That is not the story of that game and you know it. Salem was the better team and should have won, but last few minutes of game Louisa was inches short of a 1st down. After that Salem blew it open.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT