ADVERTISEMENT

What's the best win for a 1A team this year vs. 2A or higher?

Not sure if this is the bait to start in on Altavista but their win over Appomattox is pretty dang big this year. I was thinking and the only other wins in 1A that stand out to me are Honaker over Rye Cove and Holston, Narrows over Giles, and Essex over Sussex (score not outcome).
Just my .02

Reactions: trutiger16
Not sure if beating a 1-5 Appomattox team is considered a big win. They are having a down year, you can’t go off just the name of the school.

Reactions: OCBoy
Altavista over Appo
Sussex over Southampton
Both get my vote because the scores were so lobsided.

In the past Essex/Riverheads/Galax/Others typically always had very good wins vs higher competition... I didn't know if that existed in 2023 which based upon the comments above looks like they don't.

Since Essex & King William didn’t play this year, the only higher division school Essex played this year and beat was 4A Jamestown.

Reactions: obguthr
Tru those are two pretty mediocre teams at best --but sadly might be one of best wins for a 1A over higher classification opponent.

Since Essex & King William didn’t play this year, the only higher division school Essex played this year and beat was 4A Jamestown.
Normally, Essex, or anyone for that matter, beating Jamestown would be “ho hum!” But it’s a little more than that this year. This is probable one of the better Jamestown teams in over a decade. Their defense is the difference. But, they have almost NO offense. Of course, last week, Poquoson didn’t pay any attention to their improved defense.

I'm not sure what level Bluefield is classified as, but Grayson Co beating them the other night was a big win. I don't think many expected them to win

Bluefield is 3-4? Doesn't seem to be a juggernaut in 2023

One state title since 2009 and that's WV

Bluefield plays as tough a schedule as you’ll find. Their 4 losses are to teams with a combined 25-5 record.

They have also played a ridiculous 30 playoff football games since the 2009 season.

They also have about a dozen former players playing major college football right now including one on the Outland Award watch list.

Bluefield plays as tough a schedule as you’ll find. Their 4 losses are to teams with a combined 25-5 record.

They have also played a ridiculous 30 playoff football games since the 2009 season.

They also have about a dozen former players playing major college football right now including one on the Outland Award watch list.
And that's why you can't just go by a team's record and instead look at who they've played. There is undefeated teams out there who haven't been tested and then there's teams who have losing records, but have played brutal schedules

And that's why you can't just go by a team's record and instead look at who they've played. There is undefeated teams out there who haven't been tested and then there's teams who have losing records, but have played brutal schedules
Cough cough..... Bath County

Reactions: kwhs95fan
Grayson County's win over Bluefield has to be one of the more impressive Class 1 wins this season, if not the most impressive.
It would be more impressive if Bluefield’s best player wasn’t out for the season but still impressive win for Grayson nonetheless. If Bluefield had Amir Hairston, I’m not sure Grayson would have won.

Reactions: sixcat
It would be more impressive if Bluefield’s best player wasn’t out for the season but still impressive win for Grayson nonetheless. If Bluefield had Amir Hairston, I’m not sure Grayson would have won.
I think Bluefield's entire season would look different right now if Hairston was still playing.

Reactions: Gridiron1960
So the best win for all of 1A is a WV team who is sub .500 and missing by far it's best player.....
1A is sooooo weak in 2023 "overall"
I think we’re just at a time where there is so much separation between the 2 classes in terms of depth. Idk about 1A or 1B but I don’t think 1D teams play many schools that are Class 2. 1C has a few teams that play 2A schools (GW, Galax, and Giles) but the schools they play are Tier 1 Class 2 Teams such as Radford, Graham, and even Glenvar. Glenvar may not be as good this year and years past but they’re still a solid team and have depth.

C1 lost its most elite member and C2 is wayyyyyyy up this year with no fewer than half a dozen realistic title contenders. It's not surprising this is a difficult discussion.

Reactions: BGfootball95
True, C1 not only lost Riverheads, but is somewhat down. Galax often has a quality win, for example beating Glenvar or even Radford two years ago. Essex beat King William last year. Giles over Blacksburg use to be a quality win but Blacksburg is terrible now. C2 is up this year, so it's expected there are few "big" wins from a Class 1 school over a Class 2 school or higher this year.

Top 3 for me are still Sussex over Southampton. The way they beat them stood out to me. Southampton ain't bad, and Sussex just took them apart.
Altavista beating Appo clearly stands out.
Grayson over Bluefield stands out to me. I know Bluefield has a losing record. Bluefield is still a very solid team and people in Swva know that. They play a ridiculous schedule.

Reactions: TS69
The Bluefield win has lost some of its luster, they just can’t seem to get it together. Still a talented team and a great win for GC but the Altavista win over Appo is aging better and better so that prob be my pick since I know so little about the 1A teams out east.

I believe that if Bluefield had Amir Hairston then Graham would be sitting at 2 losses too

Yall need to keep in mind as you interact with this guy... he is a Riverheads fan. On here to pound his chest about how great they are. He was one of the ones who was whining that they had to move up to D2 after spending years saying that the rest of D1 "just needs to deal with it and get better"... his tone changed when the shoe finally dropped and Riverheads went to D2. Not sure why he's back here now gloating?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT