ADVERTISEMENT

Which teams will be really good next year in the West?

southbottomU

VaPreps All District
Dec 5, 2004
I will volunteer Salem----The Spartans have a lot back from the State Championship team but must replace some very good linemen and both running backs. It looks as if the running backs are in the pipeline but replacing the offensive and defensive linemen could be more difficult, but they still should be the class of the SW Va. Amherst---program on the upturn. Trying to regain their elite status. Looks like they are getting closer. Jefferson Forest----will lose a ton but Coach Christmas will have them playing well again next year. Pulaski--another program trying to return to elite status. Took big steps this past year. Look for them to continue to improve and challenge Salem. William Byrd----very good running back returning and a lot of other key players. This could be the sleeper team in SW Va.

Hope the Northern Virginia folks will help me out and tell me who will be good up that way?

I will volunteer Salem----The Spartans have a lot back from the State Championship team but must replace some very good linemen and both running backs. It looks as if the running backs are in the pipeline but replacing the offensive and defensive linemen could be more difficult, but they still should be the class of the SW Va. Amherst---program on the upturn. Trying to regain their elite status. Looks like they are getting closer. Jefferson Forest----will lose a ton but Coach Christmas will have them playing well again next year. Pulaski--another program trying to return to elite status. Took big steps this past year. Look for them to continue to improve and challenge Salem. William Byrd----very good running back returning and a lot of other key players. This could be the sleeper team in SW Va.

Hope the Northern Virginia folks will help me out and tell me who will be good up that way?

Amherst because they get a lot back and QB will be back and he was really good. He got hurt in the Appomattox game

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
What about Champe, Woodgrove, and Sherando?
Sherando will have a good mix of experience and youth and Amherst will improve. Pulaski is apparently on the way up and William Byrd has Basham. Anybody know anything about GW Danvilles returnees.

Sherando will have a good mix of experience and youth and Amherst will improve. Pulaski is apparently on the way up and William Byrd has Basham. Anybody know anything about GW Danvilles returnees.
GW will return all but 2 offensive lineman. Losing a lot of skill players and D-Lineman but will return their QB (who didn't throw a pick this year) and their fastest RB. Will be very young but have A LOT of speed and athleticism. They will have a lot of players from their undefeated middle school team and JV team suiting up. Even with all the new faces, I wouldn't/don't expect a huge drop off.

Last edited:
Knew i could count on you Danville. I have a love hate relationship with GW, but have always respected them. I still think their 1982 squad was the best high school team i have ever seen. I am a bit biased as they knocked us out in the regionals that year. Have a happy and safe holiday season.

Knew i could count on you Danville. I have a love hate relationship with GW, but have always respected them. I still think their 1982 squad was the best high school team i have ever seen. I am a bit biased as they knocked us out in the regionals that year. Have a happy and safe holiday season.
Way before my time Navy lol but I've heard they were something else. Ferrell Edmunds, Bam and Keeta Covington, Percy Mooreman, etc. I would've loved to have been born and seen them play. I hope you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year also!

Way before my time Navy lol but I've heard they were something else. Ferrell Edmunds, Bam and Keeta Covington, Percy Mooreman, etc. I would've loved to have been born and seen them play. I hope you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year also!
Covington hit me so hard on a slant I asked Coach A if i had any teeth left in my mouth. He said yeah two now get back in there before you lose those two on the sidelines.

It's always the usual suspects but somebody usually sneaks up there. This year, it was Millbrook. The year prior, it was Woodgrove. We all know that teams like Salem and Sherando will be in the mix. Amherst had a decent year, as did Pulaski. Both played much better after a few down seasons but will they continue their return to relevence? John Champe is still a relatively new school but had a very nice season. How will they be in year 4? Perhaps the next Briar Woods, especially with their continuing student growth?

So the better and more fun question is, who will be this year's surprise?

Last edited:
Very familiar with that GW team. They were very explosive and I believe their toughest test that year was a hard fought 14-7 win over PH Roanoke. Ironically and in line with the current year, GW beat the Lake Taylor Titans in the state finals 53-15(I think) and the weather that day was about as nice as LU a couple of Saturdays ago.. The team the year before with Jamie Harris at quarterback, Percy Moorman at tailback and several others might have been as good or better but, lost to a great Hampton team with Robert Banks. One name you did not mention and sadly may have had as much ability as the ones you named was DE Mike Ragsdale. Unfortunately his career was derailed before it ever started due to off the field issues. GW had a pretty strong run in the early 80's before Coach Pugh's passing.

Couple of corrections and clarifications after thinking back. I believe the LT final score was 58-15 and the PH score was 20-7. GW had two other games that year closer in score than the PH game(Fleming 7-0 and Hillside 10-6 if memory serves correct) but, those games were earlier in the year and performance wise GW was still working out the kinks. By the time they hit the playoffs they were rolling and PH played them really tough. The next week, again, if memory serves correct, the Pulaski Cougars came to town and Billy Myers took the opening kickoff to the house much to the delight of the Pulaski faithful and of course the Cougar roar. Unfortunately for Joel Hicks and his troops the Cougar was silent the remainder of the evening with a 37-7 final.

In 1981, 82 and 83 were good football years. Pulaski was very good, Fleming was sound, PH, and GW. Made for great district and regional play. The PH Fleming game in 81 was the best. The 81and 82 ph pulaski games were great too. The crowds were huge for those two.

My apologies to Southbottom for getting off topic. IMO Salem will be loaded for the next couple of years and the difference is they will not only have good sound fundamental football players but, probably as solid of a collection of athletes as they have had at any time in the program's storied history. Apologies(just my opinion) to the Lewis alums on here and the 90's Willis White teams with the likes of Marcus Parker, Dennis Haley, etc and the 1998 team that most refer to as the gold standard for Salem. The pipeline is stocked and, at least next year, they have the added luxury of a returning signal caller who has proven very capable and could really shine as a senior. I am not familiar enough with NOVA to contrast although I would guess the usual suspects(Sherando, Woodgrove, etc.) will be the primary competition. I do not see Salem being seriously threatened by anyone in there proximate geographic area such as GW, Glass, etc.. Complacency and a schedule that may not test them are probably the biggest threats but, Magenbauer and his staff have been around the block more than once so I am sure they will find a way to keep focused. I would expect a lot of internal competition for playing time to be the primary mitigating factor. Before someone unfamiliar says this is another typical boast from a Salem fan my posting history would definitely argue otherwise for me being a diehard Salem fan, however, you have to give credit where credit is due and the Salem program has earned it.

My apologies to Southbottom for getting off topic. IMO Salem will be loaded for the next couple of years and the difference is they will not only have good sound fundamental football players but, probably as solid of a collection of athletes as they have had at any time in the program's storied history. Apologies(just my opinion) to the Lewis alums on here and the 90's Willis White teams with the likes of Marcus Parker, Dennis Haley, etc and the 1998 team that most refer to as the gold standard for Salem. The pipeline is stocked and, at least next year, they have the added luxury of a returning signal caller who has proven very capable and could really shine as a senior. I am not familiar enough with NOVA to contrast although I would guess the usual suspects(Sherando, Woodgrove, etc.) will be the primary competition. I do not see Salem being seriously threatened by anyone in there proximate geographic area such as GW, Glass, etc.. Complacency and a schedule that may not test them are probably the biggest threats but, Magenbauer and his staff have been around the block more than once so I am sure they will find a way to keep focused. I would expect a lot of internal competition for playing time to be the primary mitigating factor. Before someone unfamiliar says this is another typical boast from a Salem fan my posting history would definitely argue otherwise for me being a diehard Salem fan, however, you have to give credit where credit is due and the Salem program has earned it.
Im very impressed that you are so knowledgable about Salem and their history while not being a Salem fan. As a die hard Salem fan I'm not sure I could have said it any better than what you did.

Im very impressed that you are so knowledgable about Salem and their history while not being a Salem fan. As a die hard Salem fan I'm not sure I could have said it any better than what you did.
Thanks for the kind words. I am a diehard high school and youth football fan although if ESPN keeps pushing the commercialization down levels they may drive me away altogether. The Pop Warner Super Bowls from Florida on last Saturday as the latest example. I like to watch teams that knock you on your behind, help you up and then knock you down again on the next play doing it all the while without a lot of extracurricular yapping(note some trash talk is just the nature of the game and gamesmanship).

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Thanks for the kind words. I am a diehard high school and youth football fan although if ESPN keeps pushing the commercialization down levels they may drive me away altogether. The Pop Warner Super Bowls from Florida on last Saturday as the latest example. I like to watch teams that knock you on your behind, help you up and then knock you down again on the next play doing it all the while without a lot of extracurricular yapping(note some trash talk is just the nature of the game and gamesmanship).
So I'm guessing you weren't a big fan of the Panthers vs Giants game this past weekend then? Lol

So I'm guessing you weren't a big fan of the Panthers vs Giants game this past weekend then? Lol
I am guessing you refer mainly to the Beckham/Norman sideshow and I don't care for situations like that which interrupt and detract from the flow of the game, however, pro sports is a different animal. While I don't like the example it sends to young folks, guys who are adults and getting paid big money to not only play but, entertain get a little more leeway from me. Trash talk that is more about gamesmanship than malice doesn't bother me at all and I have been fortunate to see some of the best in person and/or miked up which was great entertainment.

I would think that 98 Salem is still the gold standard because of the overall talent and depth (nobody going both ways)----but the last two years have to be included in the conversation. Next year the challenge will be in the offensive and defensive line----loaded at skilled positions. Interestingly the 98 Salem team graduated 10 on defense and 9 on offense--the 99 team went 14-0 State Champs obviously the 98 had a lot of depth--sounds very close to what happened the last two years at Salem. (P.S. the 2000 team lost two games but got hot at the end of the year and in the playoffs and won another State Championship).

Sorry for reminiscing

Reactions: salemfan32
Salem went 6-4 in 2000's regular season(CS beat Salem on the field, I'll hear none of this forfeit nonsense). Granted, all 4 teams involved won at least 9 games each and Salem later ended 2 of their season's in the playoffs as revenge. Think they gave up 16 points in 4 playoff games that year. Very little offense to that team but the D was vicious.

I would think that 98 Salem is still the gold standard because of the overall talent and depth (nobody going both ways)----but the last two years have to be included in the conversation. Next year the challenge will be in the offensive and defensive line----loaded at skilled positions. Interestingly the 98 Salem team graduated 10 on defense and 9 on offense--the 99 team went 14-0 State Champs obviously the 98 had a lot of depth--sounds very close to what happened the last two years at Salem. (P.S. the 2000 team lost two games but got hot at the end of the year and in the playoffs and won another State Championship).

Sorry for reminiscing
Every year is different. Different players. Salem graduated almost the entire starting team last year. Now they're State Champs. You cannot deny them their place as a perennial power. What's most prominent to me is how well they are Coached. They're like the Patriots of D4. Plug and play.

98 is light and day different from today. We shouldn't go there. The game is completely different. It's like saying the Lombardi Packers could beat any team in the NFL today. Ludicrous.

The '98 squad was enormous, it's not like that team was an anachronism, you would be amazed at the size in 2015. The OL was physically larger than the Denver Bronco's OL that year, person by person(they ran an article on this and the infographic is burned into my memory). D was a force(63 points given up all season, shutout 3 of 4 playoff opponents, 9 shutouts out of 14 games). Lafayette had two 2,000 yard rushers that year and averaged 46ppg and they totaled like 120 yards that game and scored 18 points.

It's a different game now but Salem fans speak fondly of '98 because we've seen a lot of good teams in this city and that one still stands out.

Sorry for reminiscing
A timely forfeit also helped the 2000 team ;)

Every year is different. Different players. Salem graduated almost the entire starting team last year. Now they're State Champs. You cannot deny them their place as a perennial power. What's most prominent to me is how well they are Coached. They're like the Patriots of D4. Plug and play.

98 is light and day different from today. We shouldn't go there. The game is completely different. It's like saying the Lombardi Packers could beat any team in the NFL today. Ludicrous.

You are probably right but what's amazing is that Salem has not changed that much. They still line up in a two back I or split backfield. They still run the ball between the tackles with traps and dives. They still use play action when they throw the ball. Mags has added a spread offense in throwing situations that Willis White did not do. Willis would run it again on third and long punt and play defense. Defense was a little different in 98 ---they used a 5-3 with press coverage on the corners and one safety. So its not that hard to look at today's Salem teams and compare---whats hard is that opposing teams have changed a lot

It's always the usual suspects but somebody usually sneaks up there. This year, it was Millbrook. The year prior, it was Woodgrove. We all know that teams like Salem and Sherando will be in the mix. Amherst had a decent year, as did Pulaski. Both played much better after a few down seasons but will they continue their return to relevence? John Champe is still a relatively new school but had a very nice season. How will they be in year 4? Perhaps the next Briar Woods, especially with their continuing student growth?

So the better and more fun question is, who will be this year's surprise?
Losing to only Salem twice and Appo(in Va),I think Amherst was the 4th best Team in area that makes them revelant....I believe 18 of 22 starters will be returning and only losing a WR at the skilled position..I think the talent level is on par with Salem with the younger kids but the coaching needs to keep improving before Amherst take that next step..1st game of the year will say plenty..

Reactions: wikki
Losing to only Salem twice and Appo(in Va),I think Amherst was the 4th best Team in area that makes them revelant....I believe 18 of 22 starters will be returning and only losing a WR at the skilled position..I think the talent level is on par with Salem with the younger kids but the coaching needs to keep improving before Amherst take that next step..1st game of the year will say plenty..
They also lost to JF, but your point is still well made. They only lost to undefeated teams at the time. 2 went on to win state championships, (3 of their losses) the other lost in the Semifinals to the eventual champion. Returning so many starters and the JV was very good as well, makes Game 1 against Salem look even more interesting!

Salem/Amherst will be the game everybody focuses on that first week. And like any championship team, until someone dethrones Salem, the are the favorite. But, Amherst winning would not be that much of an upset in my book. It's at Salem this year, correct?

Salem/Amherst will be the game everybody focuses on that first week. And like any championship team, until someone dethrones Salem, the are the favorite. But, Amherst winning would not be that much of an upset in my book. It's at Salem this year, correct?
Yes Salem home for Amherst this year Week 1.

One good year in quite a while is not a return to relevence by my definition. Rockbridge did that several years ago with Porter abell. Are they relevant? Consistency is a requirement for me but I do understand your reason for optimism.

I can't say if Amherst is at the same talent level as Salem but my assumption is they are. I mean, Salem didn't really have special players this year but they had a whole lot of really good ones. They took that squad of really good players and beat a team with a whole bunch of special ones by playing sound, fundamental football. The difference there was the Spartans were unintimidated and unafraid of LT. They believed and their game plan was tremendous. That was Coaching.

Now, I saw the film of the Salem/Amherst game this year. Amherst was also unafraid of the Spartans but was down their QB, which played a big part in the loss. What I took from that game is the Lancers are on the right path and Coaching is part of that. The boys believed. Coaches learn every year. Mag's or any Coach will,tell you that. The guy has the Lancer's moving. Hopefully, the results will follow. Support him and GL in 2016.

One good year in quite a while is not a return to relevence by my definition. Rockbridge did that several years ago with Porter abell. Are they relevant? Consistency is a requirement for me but I do understand your reason for optimism.

I can't say if Amherst is at the same talent level as Salem but my assumption is they are. I mean, Salem didn't really have special players this year but they had a whole lot of really good ones. They took that squad of really good players and beat a team with a whole bunch of special ones by playing sound, fundamental football. The difference there was the Spartans were unintimidated and unafraid of LT. They believed and their game plan was tremendous. That was Coaching.

Now, I saw the film of the Salem/Amherst game this year. Amherst was also unafraid of the Spartans but was down their QB, which played a big part in the loss. What I took from that game is the Lancers are on the right path and Coaching is part of that. The boys believed. Coaches learn every year. Mag's or any Coach will,tell you that. The guy has the Lancer's moving. Hopefully, the results will follow. Support him and GL in 2016.
One of Salem's great characteristics is that they have complete faith in their coaching staff and system. They never go into a game intimidated its often the other way around

This video is a little old but it explains a lot in Salem. These kids are 8 (now 11) and you will see the same offensive set as the high school and same basic plays

Reactions: MrSir#5

I never said Amherst talent level was the same as Salem this year.I said Amherst younger players(10th grade and down)have as much talent as anyone.I have much respect for Salem and their fans and Salem has raise the level of play in the area.You must be on their level to beat them.Amherst did it years ago and I think you will start seeing a Team like Amherst start to closed that gap starting next year,thats all I'm saying.If you want to compare Rockbridge history with Amherst,you go right ahead.I love our Coach but I'm not a fan of his Coaching Staff by any means.Coach finally has kids that play hard for him and that matters..With the talent level close,Coaching could be the thing that win or lose you the game.Phillips is a good Coach but he isn't on Mags level yet..Coach Abell was,and that's why Amherst beat Salem while he was here..

I never said Amherst talent level was the same as Salem this year.I said Amherst younger players(10th grade and down)have as much talent as anyone.I have much respect for Salem and their fans and Salem has raise the level of play in the area.You must be on their level to beat them.Amherst did it years ago and I think you will start seeing a Team like Amherst start to closed that gap starting next year,thats all I'm saying.If you want to compare Rockbridge history with Amherst,you go right ahead.I love our Coach but I'm not a fan of his Coaching Staff by any means.Coach finally has kids that play hard for him and that matters..With the talent level close,Coaching could be the thing that win or lose you the game.Phillips is a good Coach but he isn't on Mags level yet..Coach Abell was,and that's why Amherst beat Salem while he was here..
It didn't hurt that those Amherst teams from '06-'09 were loaded with great players, '04 & '05 were pretty good too!

Amherst's JV was really good, not sure how they finished this year but Salem only beat them 20-14. Amherst linemen were really good, big, & didn't fatigue like I thought they would. Salem did have 7 Sophmores playing Varsity, but only 1 was a lineman. Amherst's lineplay will win them some games & their QB was only a Sophmore as well. The skill players will enjoy that line for 2 more years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lineheart
You might beat Amherst but you won't intimidate them..
True. I saw a different team this year from Amherst that I haven't seen in a while. They played as one and were very close like brothers. The trip to Florida helped and brought them closer. But for a team to be a team it all has to work together and that is the coaches and players believing in each other or it will not work. The fans expressed that this year and it was positive. That is one thing that Abell had. I believe in the future for the Lancers and look forward to next year.

I believe the onl
It didn't hurt that those Amherst teams from '06-'09 were loaded with great players, '04 & '05 were pretty good too!

Amherst's JV was really good, not sure how they finished this year but Salem only beat them 20-14. Amherst linemen were really good, big, & didn't fatigue like I thought they would. Salem did have 7 Sophmores playing Varsity, but only 1 was a lineman. Amherst's lineplay will win them some games & their QB was only a Sophmore as well. The skill players will enjoy that line for 2 more years.
I believe Amherst JV finished at 9-1 this year with their only loss to Salem. They might have had one more loss that is escaping me but they were no worse than 8-2, I know

Reactions: mike salem
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT