ADVERTISEMENT

While we were sleeping...

mbonape1

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Gold Member
Aug 24, 2015
https://www.pilotonline.com/757team...0191012-y3qcxxbws5b3flpf35hpnizf2a-story.html

I wasn't aware of this until I saw this article in the Virginia Pilot. Woodside is undefeated and has not allowed A SINGLE POINT in Peninsula district play. I am of the school of thought that the Peninsula district (once the crown jewel of VAHSFB) is now one of the weakest in VA that has mostly class 4 and above programs.

However, with that being said, at what point do we need to start to take notice of the Wolverines? I think not allowing a single point in district play... that time is upon us.

I don't know if they are a SERIOUS threat or not in class 5 but maybe it's time to keep an eye of them moving forward.

https://www.pilotonline.com/757team...0191012-y3qcxxbws5b3flpf35hpnizf2a-story.html

I wasn't aware of this until I saw this article in the Virginia Pilot. Woodside is undefeated and has not allowed A SINGLE POINT in Peninsula district play. I am of the school of thought that the Peninsula district (once the crown jewel of VAHSFB) is now one of the weakest in VA that has mostly class 4 and above programs.

However, with that being said, at what point do we need to start to take notice of the Wolverines? I think not allowing a single point in district play... that time is upon us.

I don't know if they are a SERIOUS threat or not in class 5 but maybe it's time to keep an eye of them moving forward.

Woodside versus Maury would be a whale of a game but I still like Maury coming out of the 757

Class 5 is the most interesting story down here this year. Woodside, Salem VB, Maury and Deep Creek are all undefeated.

Woodside vs Pheobus 10/24 will be the Wolverine's biggest test.

Salem VB vs Ocean Lakes 10/18 if they win that game, they're likely to go 10-0. They have improved QB play with the area's top RB. Always a great Defense & Matt's pick to win the Beach District at the beginning of the year.

Deep Creek has the Toughest remaining schedule.

I. River 10/18,
Smith 10/24,
KF 11/1
Nanosecond River 11/8

Those games usually start out with some goods hits and each team getting their licks in. But, Nanesmond River just has a hard time in their Pass offense & defense vs Smith. So, it puts a lot of pressure on their run game.

I can't remember the last time we didn't have a running clock vs them by the 3rd quarter. Friday will be the same unless we commit 150 yds in penalties like we did vs Highland Springs. Even then it should be a 2 TD margin.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned

Agreed that the Peninsula district is not as strong as it once was but I disagree that it is one of the weakest districts in the state. IDK about the rest of the state but honestly in the 757 each district has about one or two true state title contenders and then another layer of playoff teams capable of winning a post season game or two then a third layer of bad teams. The Peninsula has turned into an average district but it is difficult to call it one of the weakest districts.

Agreed that the Peninsula district is not as strong as it once was but I disagree that it is one of the weakest districts in the state. IDK about the rest of the state but honestly in the 757 each district has about one or two true state title contenders and then another layer of playoff teams capable of winning a post season game or two then a third layer of bad teams. The Peninsula has turned into an average district but it is difficult to call it one of the weakest districts.

Well you maybe right... I said for a district that is primarily 4a, 5a, 6a though. Agree 757 as a whole is still very competitive for sure. Woodside is pretty good though and Phoebus is quality.

I think we have to be honest that the peninsula is a shell of what it once was.... the crown jewel of vahsfb. But what is so shocking was how quickly the quality of play dropped off. 12 years ago peninsula teams were dominating.

Reactions: 300 Strong FB
I'm so proud of my alma mater. The program has definitely come a long way since I was in school (96-00). Granted we were a new school my freshman year but boy it took a while for the football program to gain traction.

Reactions: LionNation540
I'm so proud of my alma mater. The program has definitely come a long way since I was in school (96-00). Granted we were a new school my freshman year but boy it took a while for the football program to gain traction.

you are a wood side alum? Congrats on the successes you are having!

you are a wood side alum? Congrats on the successes you are having!

Yes I am and thank you!!! Graduated in 2000. I'm no longer in the area but I still follow Woodside and the rest of VHSL very closely. I've lived in NC, MD, and now reside in St. Louis. Seen quite a bit of HS football but nothing is on par with a good Friday night in VA (although NC is a CLOSE second!).

Heading out to Suffolk in a few. This will be one of our better competitors vs most of our recent games. Feels like football weather & for the first time in many years, it's not raining for this game!!!

I think the biggest games to watch tonight are going to be Deep Creek vs I. River AND Ocean Lakes vs Salem!!

Reactions: Johnny"football"
I. River beat Deep Creek. Smith beat Nansemond River 28-7. It wasnt that close. As usual, they had several big plays and 2 TD's nullified.

Next week is vs Deep Creek. This should be similar to our game vs I. River.

Woodside plays Pheobus next week. Last year the Phantoms won 19-13.

Sounds good until you see how bad the PD is this year. Literally the worse I've seen it ever as long as I can remember. Dude on Wavy 10 Friday Night Flights literally said Woodside had one of the best defenses in the nation lol.

Maury and Salem will have zero problems scoring on Woodside. Honestly don't see Woodside being any competition to those two.

Your Class 5 State Top Ten entering Friday's 10/18/19 action...

1. Highland Springs (7-0)
2. Stone Bridge (6-0)
3. Maury (6-0)
4. Salem-VB (6-0)
5. Woodside (7-0)
6. Manchester (5-1)
7. Varina (6-1)
8. Deep Run (6-0)
9. Deep Creek (6-0)
10. Mountain View (6-1)

All that were in action won except Deep Creek (lost a 20-14 nail-biter with Indian River, see our Scoreboard for Game Blog) and Mountain View, which got handled by now Class 6 Massaponax.

Region 5A will be interesting - you get the feeling that Maury and Salem are on a collision course. A great Commodores offense against a very stingy Salem defense. Last year's game in the regional semifinals was down to the wire with Maury winning on a field goal late. Two of the best running backs around in C.J. Beasley (Va. Tech commit) of Maury and Kaelon Black from Salem.

But the likes of Woodside with its tough defense, Nansemond River and Indian River as well as Deep Creek could all be factors. A 6-4 team can be left out of the playoff field.

Well you maybe right... I said for a district that is primarily 4a, 5a, 6a though. Agree 757 as a whole is still very competitive for sure. Woodside is pretty good though and Phoebus is quality.

I think we have to be honest that the peninsula is a shell of what it once was.... the crown jewel of vahsfb. But what is so shocking was how quickly the quality of play dropped off. 12 years ago peninsula teams were dominating.
I have talked about the decline of play on the PD very heavily over the past three years on various platforms. I believe that there are numerous factors contributing to the drop off. No, it is not the best district hands down any longer and I doubt that it ever returns to that status due to some of my observations that I've made. Some very solid young talent is coming through that district and I think the 2021 class will be the reflect that.

Reactions: mbonape1
Your Class 5 State Top Ten entering Friday's 10/18/19 action...

1. Highland Springs (7-0)
2. Stone Bridge (6-0)
3. Maury (6-0)
4. Salem-VB (6-0)
5. Woodside (7-0)
6. Manchester (5-1)
7. Varina (6-1)
8. Deep Run (6-0)
9. Deep Creek (6-0)
10. Mountain View (6-1)

All that were in action won except Deep Creek (lost a 20-14 nail-biter with Indian River, see our Scoreboard for Game Blog) and Mountain View, which got handled by now Class 6 Massaponax.

Region 5A will be interesting - you get the feeling that Maury and Salem are on a collision course. A great Commodores offense against a very stingy Salem defense. Last year's game in the regional semifinals was down to the wire with Maury winning on a field goal late. Two of the best running backs around in C.J. Beasley (Va. Tech commit) of Maury and Kaelon Black from Salem.

But the likes of Woodside with its tough defense, Nansemond River and Indian River as well as Deep Creek could all be factors. A 6-4 team can be left out of the playoff field.

Matt, will you be going to the Woodside vs Pheobus game Thursday? AND if so, will you be posting live coverage from Darling Stadium?

Matt, will you be going to the Woodside vs Pheobus game Thursday? AND if so, will you be posting live coverage from Darling Stadium?
Yes - I plan to be there on Thursday night and doing the LIVE Game Blog. Should have our Preview & Predictions up on Thursday morning as well.

Welp so much for that... If Woodside can’t handle Phoebus easily then that does not bode well for the class 5 playoffs IMO. I really wanted them to be another surprise contender.

Reactions: 757FridayNiteZ
Welp so much for that... If Woodside can’t handle Phoebus easily then that does not bode well for the class 5 playoffs IMO. I really wanted them to be another surprise contender.
That’s definitely a negative from what I just watched unless of course they just a bad game with the turnovers and a million penalties.

Reactions: mbonape1
Woodside will have a tough time in 5A, they might, (big might) can beat Indian River, maybe Deep Creek, or Nansemond River. But those teams have an equal shot at beating them also. P.A. would be interesting as would Cox due to the amount of weapons that P.A. has and Cox is very solid as well. Woodside's defense is as advertised but offensively I'm not sure that they will be efficient enough or balanced enough to keep up with 5A. I would think that they would be significant underdogs to Salem and Maury. Salem is physical and can pound you but this year it seems that they are also very balanced so things may could get interested for a least a half. Maury is too explosive to bottle up and would probably get Woodside out of their game of running the ball rather early. Phoebus is a legit team with a legit defense the only time that the 3A vs 5A issue appeared visible is when a pair of Phoebus linemen had got banged up a bit and had missed extended time on both sides of the ball and it showed a lot on offense. Woodside didn't appear to have those issues.

Yep, it looks like Salem & Maury are headed towards a rematch. Deep Creek, I. River, Nansemond River with Woodside will battle things out for the remainder of the better seeds for the playoffs.

Woodside will have a tough time in 5A, they might, (big might) can beat Indian River, maybe Deep Creek, or Nansemond River. But those teams have an equal shot at beating them also. P.A. would be interesting as would Cox due to the amount of weapons that P.A. has and Cox is very solid as well. Woodside's defense is as advertised but offensively I'm not sure that they will be efficient enough or balanced enough to keep up with 5A. I would think that they would be significant underdogs to Salem and Maury. Salem is physical and can pound you but this year it seems that they are also very balanced so things may could get interested for a least a half. Maury is too explosive to bottle up and would probably get Woodside out of their game of running the ball rather early. Phoebus is a legit team with a legit defense the only time that the 3A vs 5A issue appeared visible is when a pair of Phoebus linemen had got banged up a bit and had missed extended time on both sides of the ball and it showed a lot on offense. Woodside didn't appear to have those issues.
PA has weapons, but is very young. I'm excited to see them going in the right direction and think they can make some noise next year with Tony Grimes as a senior.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT