ADVERTISEMENT

Who are the contenders?

Mayberryite

VaPreps Varsity
Jul 17, 2007
Does Martinsville repeat? Maybe Dan River? How about the perennial powers like Brunswick and Lee? Basketball season is upon us, who should we all be watching out for?

George Mason returns basically the whole team and their Coach is second to none. I would place GM as a strong "dark horse" team to make a deep run.

Does Martinsville repeat? Maybe Dan River? How about the perennial powers like Brunswick and Lee? Basketball season is upon us, who should we all be watching out for?

Hey Mayberryrite,

Unfortunately, Lee has fallen from the ranks of perennial power over the past decade or so.

I do know that they have lost a few players due to transferring the past couple of years, which really affected their chances.

Martinsville gets all there starters back from last years state championship team. They only lost 1 player who played some. They also have more depth this year. They are no question the favorite to win it all again.

Martinsville did lose one starter in Pilson, but the other 2 seniors on the roster didn't play a whole lot of meaningful minutes.

They didn't look to bad in the benefit game against Chatham the other night. Defense looked real good and on the offensive end they got a little 3 happy when the game got out of hand but overall not bad for first time out, 70-33 Dogs. Will miss Pilson, didn't score a lot but was good on D and was kind of a "glue" guy if you know what I mean.

Graham had an 8 point lead on Martinsville with about 3 minutes left in Regionals.... couldn't close them out..missed some free throws..and lost by 1 point. They lost 2 seniors, both starters and both very good guards who could get to the basket. They had a pretty deep bench and a JV team that went 20-2. I would definitely think they will be a contender. Guard play will be the key however, as to how far they can go.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT