ADVERTISEMENT

Who is going to Salem?

AdvocateOfMany434

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 13, 2015
757 Area
Just wondering? I want to get an idea what is the best time to get there. If Appomattox/CCHS plays at 4:30 PM, can you watch the prior 1 A game or do you pay 2 times?

Got a few that want to tailgate before game. How early is too early?

Another thing, during state games, can you take thundersticks, clappers, rocks in jugs, etc?

Just wondering? I want to get an idea what is the best time to get there. If Appomattox/CCHS plays at 4:30 PM, can you watch the prior 1 A game or do you pay 2 times?

Another thing, during state games, can you take thundersticks, clappers, rocks in jugs, etc?
You can watch both games for one admission price. It has always been $10.00. You cannot leave after the first game and come back for the second without paying for another ticket. So there is usually about a 2 hour wait for the second game. But as long as the weather isn't miserable, it's a great day of football for $10.00. They have signs up that say no outside noise makers are allowed, such as the ones you mention. but some cowbells seem to sneak in anyway. Plenty of seating and plenty of parking. come as early as you want.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434

You only pay 1 time unless you leave the stadium.Salem is a great venue to watch football with plenty of parking.The concession food isn't much so i would suggest tailgating.Usually there is a couple hours lapse between games.

You only pay 1 time unless you leave the stadium.Salem is a great venue to watch football with plenty of parking.The concession food isn't much so i would suggest tailgating.Usually there is a couple hours lapse between games.

I'm going unless I die. How are advance tickets acquired? At the schools?

We were there by 9 tailgating last year! Had us a good ol time too.

I'll be there this weekend taking in both games

If anyone is looking for a good bar/food joint. All Star Bar and Grill on Main St is phenomenal. Went there before the Giles/Glenvar game

You can watch both games for one admission price. It has always been $10.00. You cannot leave after the first game and come back for the second without paying for another ticket. So there is usually about a 2 hour wait for the second game. But as long as the weather isn't miserable, it's a great day of football for $10.00. They have signs up that say no outside noise makers are allowed, such as the ones you mention. but some cowbells seem to sneak in anyway. Plenty of seating and plenty of parking. come as early as you want.
So, I can't bring my airhorn? Shoot!

Do the Marching Bands show up, and do they get to perform at halftime? Are they given passes or do they have to pay?

I know you are big supporter of "marching band" but to be honest very few fans that aren't parents of the band members could care less. It's not the 1960-1970s anymore when they actually had a following.
I'm 99% certain they are not allowed on the field in any capacity.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
I know you are big supporter of "marching band" but to be honest very few fans that aren't parents of the band members could care less. It's not the 1960-1970s anymore when they actually had a following.

Okay, thanks! Yeah, I was a band parent, but I grew up in a time where football without the marching band was like apple pie without the ice cream. I still believe that, and fwiw, most of the home games this year, the Clarke football fans actually watched and cheered the band during the halftime show. The Clarke fans know I was a band parent and am a big proponent of the marching band, and several of them asked me why the band wasn't at the biggest football game in CCHS history.

Guess it's time to quit beating a dead horse.

I personally would..... you actually look "over" them 99% of the time to actually watch the game.

Their highlight is probably the banner they sometimes make for the team to run through... some of those are creative.

Reactions: VolNation85
But as football fans, would you say that cheerleaders are as much a part of the football game as the band? Again, I'm just asking philosophically, because I think all three are intertwined for the game day experience.

Whether right, wrong or indifferent , most people ignore cheerleaders. I went to Appomattox-B Gap game Saturday. I do not recall seeing the cheerleaders.

I'm not trying to slight the band and/or cheerleaders but if any school has a mascot running around they usually get more attention than the band/cheerleaders in 2015 at a football game.

True, especially if it's a "good mascot". But most high school mascots I have seen are "too sissy"

If I remember correctly, marching bands have an even larger amount of community support than ever. That isn't true everywhere. Some school systems couldn't careless.

Explain your last statement. Are they not allowed on the field at the championships or what?

Im with ClarkeFan, I feel cheerleaders and bands add to the experience of the game. They are both needed. If they were not at game, you will hear cries and belly aches from the crowd that "WHY THIS SCHOOL DONT HAVE CHEERLEADERS OR A BAND?" So I disagree with GOAT and HR6. I like the whole game day feel and that comes with cheerleaders and bands.

HR6, we had a few cheerleaders there, but a broken crew. We had all our seniors cheer at Disney World Saturday. So we didnt have a big squad vs. Gap.

Come on down to Salem. A great place for pregame food is Mac N Bobs. They have the best wings and calzones around! There are plenty of seats in the stadium but as some people like you can bring your chair and seat around the hill. The current necessities can be an acquired taste especially the hot dogs. But I personally love them. If they have the kettle corn and pork rinds tent TRY THE BUFFALO PIG RINDS all I have to say is OMG!!! I hope everyone that cI mrs has a great time and good luck to both teams!!

Reactions: RoJoHokie
Thunderstix should not be a problem, at LU they are allowed which is awesome. Take all the fun away from the fans.

You should be allowed, ridiculous for them to ban it, they don't check bags so take them anyway. Amherst always takes cowbells wherever we go.

I don't know about the games at Salem but I have been to the 3A and 4A games at LU and the bands have been allowed to perform at halftime.

I know 5A/6A bands usually perform and these bands can be 200 members deep sometimes

If bands are not allowed on the field at the championships then that has to be a recent thing. I know the rules regarding playing during the game are enforced a bit more strictly.

Hey Advocate, like to meet up with you at the game if possible. I see you're a paying member, so if you'd like to meet, PM me your cell and I'll respond with mine. I'm too much of a cheap S.O.B. so I can only respond to PM's, not start them.:D

Normally the vhsl gives the schools a certain number of tickets it requests to be sold at the school.

CCHS is selling the tickets today at the school between 11:00 am and 12 noon, then again from 3:00 to 4:00 pm today.

Daughter and son-in-law want to go with me, so I gotta drive to Richmond to pick them up, then drive to Salem, and wife agreed to stay behind and watch the dog. She's a good woman, and Clarke is her alma mater, not mine! Better find something shiny for her for Christmas!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT