ADVERTISEMENT

Who should be the #1 team in Boys Hoops in Group 2A to begin the 2016-17 season?

Poll - Who should be the #1 team in Boys Hoops in Group 2A to begin the 2016-17 season?

• Martinsville

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Greensville

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gate City

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Dan River

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • East Rockingham

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Robert E. Lee-Staunton

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Other

Votes: 5 12.8%

• Total voters
Im not sure if Martinsville will be the best team this year in 2A.....but after winning back to back championships it's hard to say they don't deserve the #1 spot. Until knocked off the Top spot they should probably remain there. I think GC and Dan River should be considered for a close 2nd and 3rd ranking.

Reactions: AntGZee
Gate City does have 2 D1 athletes on their team BUT.... they lack one really important piece. They lack a post player. Collier is strong but he doesn't have the size to be a real threat in the post. Ervin has the height to play post.... but he's a shooting guard. Not having a solid threat in the paint will be GCs achilles heel this year. Being able to shoot the ball won't be an issue for them with Ervin, McClung, and Dean....plus Jenkins, Noe, Compton and a couple other guys from the JV team can shoot the ball pretty well. Guard play wont be a problem.

Who should be the #1 team in Boys Hoops in Group 2A to begin the 2016-17 season?
No love for the Mountaineers in your poll? Madison County returns everybody from last years 20-5 team and beat East Rock 3 times (no offense ER, I think you deserve consideration as well). MC at least should have been included in the poll. And before somebody says it, I know polls do not matter.

We will know if GC even belongs in the conversation within the first 2 weeks of the season. They start off with Tennessee High, Daniel Boone (TN), and Knoxville Christian....then play in the Arbys Classic. They will be tested early.

No love for the Mountaineers in your poll? Madison County returns everybody from last years 20-5 team and beat East Rock 3 times (no offense ER, I think you deserve consideration as well). MC at least should have been included in the poll. And before somebody says it, I know polls do not matter.

That's fair. Should've had them as an option. I like their team a lot and hopefully that is reflected in their spot in the Top Ten when unveiled later this month.

That's fair. Should've had them as an option. I like their team a lot and hopefully that is reflected in their spot in the Top Ten when unveiled later this month.

They don't return everybody, their only shooter, Taylor, transferred to a private school.

I forgot about Taylor transferring to St. Anne's Belfield when his dad took the job with the UVA women's team. He was not the only shooter. He was a very good one though and will be greatly missed. Remember this name -- Gaines Swink. He will probably get the minutes left by Taylor. He is a sophomore who can really shoot it, according to my source.

Last edited:
I forgot about Taylor transferring to St. Anne's Belfield when his dad took the job with the UVA women's team. He was not the only shooter. He was a very good one though and will be greatly missed. Remember this name -- Gaines Swink. He will probably get the minutes left by Taylor. He is a sophomore who can really shoot it, according to my source.
So Madison has a new coach, too?

Time will tell if they are deserving of that rank. I think they are without question Top 5.....but #1? We will see. It's just rankings to start the season though.....so it really doesn't amount to a hill of beans anyhow. Just win baby and the rest will take care of itself.

GC #1?????????????? Heck, they'll have their hands full again Union.

I'm afraid GC won't be having their hands full against Union. The Bears lost tonight to Eastside....who graduated Cusano which was their leading scorer and all state player from last years team. Eastside isn't nearly as strong as they were last year and Union couldn't get past them tonight. Eastside is still a talented team though and nothing to sneeze at.

I don't know if GC should be #1 as I said earlier on here a time or two ...but let's not be ridiculous claiming GC will struggle against Union. I mean Union is ranked in the Top 10 so if they do manage to struggle it wouldn't be considered a huge deal anyhow. The Bears have Mitchell and he would/should score on anyone in the state at any level....he's just that talented. It's just pointless (yet fun) rankings and they have no bearings on the season anyhow.

Last edited:
Reactions: AntGZee
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT