ADVERTISEMENT

Who should be the #1 team in Group 3A to begin the 2017 season?

Who should be the #1 team in Group 3A to begin the 2017 season?

• Brookville

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Hopewell

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • James Monroe

• Lord Botetourt

• Magna Vista

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Norcom

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Phoebus

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Rustburg

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Staunton River

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • Other

Votes: 7 13.2%

• Total voters
I was just gonna comment on heritage, they will be good. I have to go with mv of course cause that's my team but they are returning a lot of players, they were really young last year. We have a solid rb in Chris scales and the OL will be solid I think. There 1st 3 games will show a lot. Dan river , @ JF, @ reidsville, nc. Go 3-0 and they should be best team early in 3a.

Heritage. Size up front, great rb, solid team speed, and the return of their qb who was injured last year. The Pioneers will be tough.
Heritage. I think they return the entire line. Davis is one of the best backs in the area. Anderson is back and a solid dual threat. They have weapons and a great coaching staff. I look for them to make some serious noise.
@ShadesMcgrades i agree the Warriors are solid again this season. Scales is the real deal and they have a great fan base. One of the hardest places to play because of that. They will get tested early. But I have no doubt they will be right in the mix come playoff time

Heritage. I think they return the entire line. Davis is one of the best backs in the area. Anderson is back and a solid dual threat. They have weapons and a great coaching staff. I look for them to make some serious noise.
@ShadesMcgrades i agree the Warriors are solid again this season. Scales is the real deal and they have a great fan base. One of the hardest places to play because of that. They will get tested early. But I have no doubt they will be right in the mix come playoff time
See how they do Friday at salem

MV will have their hands full with Salem Friday night, but with that being said a whole lot of teams will have their hands full with the Spartans this year as they do almost every year. The benefit game won't make or break the Warriors, will be a lot of subbing on both sides to see how some of the kids do under pressure for the 1st time. Just stay healthy and get ready for week one.

Maybe I'm biased but with all due respect didn't heritage go 8-5 last year? Didn't magna vista get blown out by staunton river in the playoffs (68-21)? Staunton River was playing a now 4A school in blacksburg in the championship. Returning all of the key positions with a transfer in Brock Porter from liberty high school. He was there starting QB. Also another running back from liberty that had some fantastic runs in the prior scrimmage. Oh I'm leaving the 3 headed monster out. Grayson Overstreet coming off state player of the year. If my stat brain is working right he only needs about 1300 yds to break the VA all time rushing record. Which nobody is talking about. Along with 4 or 5 other rushing records he is within breaking. Kaleb Jones is another runner that I would put up against anybody in the state. TJ Tester is another top runner for us that had SEVERAL 60+ yd td runs this past scrimmage. The 3 headed monsters also play both ways. Even special teams.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Maybe I'm biased but with all due respect didn't heritage go 8-5 last year? Didn't magna vista get blown out by staunton river in the playoffs (68-21)? Staunton River was playing a now 4A school in blacksburg in the championship. Returning all of the key positions with a transfer in Brock Porter from liberty high school. He was there starting QB. Also another running back from liberty that had some fantastic runs in the prior scrimmage. Oh I'm leaving the 3 headed monster out. Grayson Overstreet coming off state player of the year. If my stat brain is working right he only needs about 1300 yds to break the VA all time rushing record. Which nobody is talking about. Along with 4 or 5 other rushing records he is within breaking. Kaleb Jones is another runner that I would put up against anybody in the state. TJ Tester is another top runner for us that had SEVERAL 60+ yd td runs this past scrimmage. The 3 headed monsters also play both ways. Even special teams.
MV was beat up last year at playoff time. They had their JV team out there playing. No doubt Staunton River is a d*mn good team and a top 3 team but let's not get it twisted! MV was down 4-5 key players when you played them last November.

Last edited:
The Golden Eagles have a great group of skill players, and the additions will make them even better. Don't forget your line players. Those big guys are doing a tremendous job upfront opening up running lanes. They are big, strong and move really, really well.
However, Magna Vista and Heritage are not the same as the teams you saw last year. They also have improved and brought in some new faces. All three teams are looking to have great seasons and will be fun to watch. Just over a week away from what is sure to be the best time of the year.

Heritage's 4 Regular season losses in 2016:
Appomattox: 29-21
Jefferson Forest: 14-12
Rustburg: 36-35
Amherst: 27-26

They lost to Blacksburg 24-17(similar to SR). The 8-5 record is very deceiving. They lost some close games. Four of those losses were without their normal starter at QB. He's back and they also have a backup that is capable to throw. I heard from one news source that Bradley is going to use both.

My pick is Heritage, but I've seen them play more than SR. Brock Porter was in my opinion a solid QB at Liberty and he could run the football well. That brings much added depth to the SR squad. It will be an exciting year for them. Good luck to them both.

Heritage High School! Heritage looked like the #1 team in 3A against Staunton River. True it was only a benefit game but the first half of play, starters vs starters, Heritage dominated! I think they sent message to the rest of 3A

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT